Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jimmy Stone on twitter...

Comments

• cabbles said:

I think RD was waiting for the right moment to relieve Powell of his duties and going out to Sheff United was the right moment for RD. Had we beaten Sheff U that day or draw and gone on to win the replay and gone on to Wembley then Powelly have stayed longer and led us out at Wembley. RD then may well have pulled the plug on Powelly's managership after the semi. He may have stayed on longer. If relegation had been confirmed under Powell then RD might have pulled the plug then. If Powelly had kept us up and stayed till the end of the season, I reckon with Powelly's contract expiring I don't reckon RD would have renewed it. So looking back (as much as I hate to say it) it was a matter of when and not if RD would let Powelly go.

I also think mentally Powell was done as well. Not just under RD, but the whole Jimenez & Slater mess.
    Maybe. Possibly from when Kevin Cash pulled out.
  • In with NLA here. That day they should have out everything going on being them and fought for us, for them and perhaps they could have kept Powell in a job. RD may have put some doubt in their minds but as proffesionals they should have put their doubts aside for 90 mins and done their job properly.
  • cabbles said:

I think RD was waiting for the right moment to relieve Powell of his duties and going out to Sheff United was the right moment for RD. Had we beaten Sheff U that day or draw and gone on to win the replay and gone on to Wembley then Powelly have stayed longer and led us out at Wembley. RD then may well have pulled the plug on Powelly's managership after the semi. He may have stayed on longer. If relegation had been confirmed under Powell then RD might have pulled the plug then. If Powelly had kept us up and stayed till the end of the season, I reckon with Powelly's contract expiring I don't reckon RD would have renewed it. So looking back (as much as I hate to say it) it was a matter of when and not if RD would let Powelly go.

I also think mentally Powell was done as well. Not just under RD, but the whole Jimenez & Slater mess.
    Powelly was on shaky ground from the start he wasn't TJ or slaters man

Once Eddie Howe came back for a greedy second bite on his wage demands

Powelly was put in a good place by Varney

Unfortunately if we had Powelly under Murray and by Murray I mean the one who was overseeing curbs not the person who he became under pardont and parkinson, then the story would have been different
  • Why does this club have a history of shooting itself in the foot?

It's certainly not limited to our club - any club run as a business (and that's most of them) will have a propensity to do seemingly stupid things at some point of another.
  • Nonsense it's what makes winners from losers tom

The in built strength to overcome be a narrow minded selfish bastard who thinks of nothing else but success

We lost because we didn't have enough of those in the team that day

• PL54 said:

Do people seriously think that RD wants us to lose games ?

Do people seriously think Riga had his track suit on ready to get in the dug out at half time at Sheff U ?

I think some translation issues, no little drama and various people hoping for the worst is possibly at play here.

I think the issue is that he doesn't appear to care either way
    Of course he cares, otherwise why sack BP for leading us to a long winless streak? BP was playing the RD game of giving youth a go and playing the SL players - other than Bulot.

If he doesnt care, why put £1m into the pitch?

I agree that he probably doesnt mind not pushing for promotion this year, but realistically as a club we are not ready. As there is no real financial benefit to finishing 7th to finishing 20th, what is the point in wasting money in getting close to the playoffs if we dont feel we have a realistic chance of winning them? this isnt the prem where each position is worth £1m. i still think we are in a far better position now than this time 12/13 months ago.
  • Nonsense it's what makes winners from losers tom

The in built strength to overcome be a narrow minded selfish bastard who thinks of nothing else but success

And I'm not sure we have enough of those in the team NOW, NLA.

• Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

Rob62 said:

Well he did say it, I can tell you that with 100% confidence :)

Oh well in that case I completely believe it
    As far as I know, nobody on this forum has spoken at length with Roland Duchatelet about anything. Jimmy Stone has. You can choose to play the skeptic card as usual, but I'm more than happy to take Jimmy's word for whats going on.
    I'd like to know, perhaps Jimmy could break off from tweeting and tell us, but I doubt he's spent more than ten minutes speaking on a one-to-one basis with RD, if that.

• cabbles said:

The key relationship was Varney and Powell. Varney got the player deals done in 2012 after he and Kavanagh secured the money via Jenkinson and Arsenal. The financial issue triggered Varney and then Kavanagh's departure, which left Powell exposed.
  • PL54 said:

cafctom said:

Nonsense it's what makes winners from losers tom

We were 24th in the Championship at the time, who is to say they even had the quality in them to get a win in those circumstances? You make it sound as though they could have easily won it but just couldn't be bothered.
    After that game, and under new stewardship, the team went on to secure 24 points out of 48 available in the next 16 league games. They clearly had the ability to beat Sheffield Utd that day but didn't fancy it.
    Exactly the point
  • No it shouldn't have been easy tom we were on their patch a draw would have been a great result

Prague

Yep on that day not fit to wear the shirt or represent the fans that travelled

the only one I'd give credit to was cousins as playing him out of position was a disaster waiting to happen

There Is a reason why those players are at cafc after all and not for example burnley or Leicester that year

They don't have the ability nor mental strength to progress further

We were then and are currently a bottom half championship team
  • edited February 2015

No it shouldn't have been easy tom we were on their patch a draw would have been a great result

Prague

Yep on that day not fit to wear the shirt or represent the fans that travelled

the only one I'd give credit to was cousins as playing him out of position was a disaster waiting to happen

There Is a reason why those players are at cafc after all and not for example burnley or Leicester that year

They don't have the ability nor mental strength to progress further

We were then and are currently a bottom half championship team

Well there are clearly two reasons. Yours, and mine, which is that with the potential exceptional of Cousins, and possibly Wiggins if he stayed injury free, they are technically quite obviously not good enough for the FAPL.

I understand the point you are making, but I think you are way overdoing it.
  • PL54 said:

cafctom said:

Nonsense it's what makes winners from losers tom

We were 24th in the Championship at the time, who is to say they even had the quality in them to get a win in those circumstances? You make it sound as though they could have easily won it but just couldn't be bothered.
    After that game, and under new stewardship, the team went on to secure 24 points out of 48 available in the next 16 league games. They clearly had the ability to beat Sheffield Utd that day but didn't fancy it.
    At last, you've managed to say something funny.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2015
    Stayed in chesterfield for weekend, and only started going pear shaped when game started.

Agree with guys who said it was gutless, but, a effing big but.

Sheffield united had won at premiership sides, Aston villa and Fulham.
    also beat Forest in last 16, (3 higher rated teams than cafc)

Why would they be worried about Charlton who on that Sunday were 24th in table.

That was the game Duchatelet wanted to win because of the TV and gate money from a semi final.

Should Jimmy's words had read:

"At Half time, Duchatelet spoke about replacing Powell"

as it was still 0-0 at h/t (i think)
    what would have happened if Harriott had scored, we then parked the bus and got a win. Would CP still of had a job even thou there were no network players in the starting line up?

• Nice to know our players are lily livered cowards the clean out was correct then from top to bottom

You didn't read what I said did you? I said even with the best of intentions, your mind is still not in the right place and so underperformance by a few percent can happen which impacts the overall result. Also remember you're talking about a group of lads some of whom were still teenagers. Classy.
    I agree with this to a point, however, if you are a pro footballer, boxer, rugby player etc., then part of your training involves developing the mind in the same way that you would develop your physique, so if they have not been working on the mind, then distractions will cause problems, if you couple that with the fact that the quarter final was probably the biggest 90 mins of their respective careers, then their performances, for whatever reason, deserved the post match ridicule it received.
    Train the mind and the body will follow.
  • LenGlover said:

Harriott actually did well to get to the ball at all. He was at full stretch.

Thank heavens for you Len. I was starting to think that I was the only one in the world who thought that.

But in the search for a convenient scapegoat, the truth is usually an early victim.
    Like the money put in to a club allegedly on the brink of admin by someone ripping the heart out of the very club he saved.... convenient scapegoat for not spending above the club's means in the overpriced January transfer window
  • LenGlover said:

Thank heavens for you Len. I was starting to think that I was the only one in the world who thought that.

But in the search for a convenient scapegoat, the truth is usually an early victim.
    Like the money put in to a club allegedly on the brink of admin by someone ripping the heart out of the very club he saved.... convenient scapegoat for not spending above the club's means in the overpriced January transfer window
    To be clear, you will not find those words were used by me or any other member of the Trust board on here, still less in its public announcements. In fact the Trust has led the way with articles which show how it is impossible to be profitable in the Championship with a competitive squad. At the same time @seriously_red, bless him, has argued consistently that the route to becoming profitable is to invest sufficiently to have a squad at least capable of a play off place. Seriously_red and his former colleagues on the Trust board are now finally united in their complete bafflement of what the business plan actually is, and we are seeking an explanation from RD as to what it is, so that we can decide whether it is likely to secure the long term future of Charlton Athletic Football Club. Nothing more, nothing less ,as far as the Supporters Trust is concerned.
  • LenGlover said:

To be clear, you will not find those words were used by me or any other member of the Trust board on here, still less in its public announcements. In fact the Trust has led the way with articles which show how it is impossible to be profitable in the Championship with a competitive squad. At the same time @seriously_red, bless him, has argued consistently that the route to becoming profitable is to invest sufficiently to have a squad at least capable of a play off place. Seriously_red and his former colleagues on the Trust board are now finally united in their complete bafflement of what the business plan actually is, and we are seeking an explanation from RD as to what it is, so that we can decide whether it is likely to secure the long term future of Charlton Athletic Football Club. Nothing more, nothing less ,as far as the Supporters Trust is concerned.
    Very good to hear.

I believe that others are planning to arrive with their pitchforks
  • What a bizarre thread.

RD isn't really bothered if we win, lose or draw. Yes, he would have to be a complete imbecile to want us to lose, but he's not that bothered.

Why ?

He's not that bothered, because his "goal" is to break even or make money from football & he is not going to do that by copying the other clubs, who nearly all lose millions.

He plans to do it, by developing the academy & selling the youngsters on for a tidy profit.

This is why, not only have we had excellent young players, in the team this season such as Gomez.

But we've also had others such as Ahearne-Grant & Pope pushed forwards, when they aren't ready.

Not forgetting recently, that I think, our whole bench was academy or very recent academy players.

If RD really cared about winning,(bearing in mind he is a multi millionaire, what is it 11th richest man in Belgium?),
    why did he sell Kermy our only decent striker and instead of replacing him, he brings in a goalkeeper.

We still haven't a "centre forward" of that ilk, a year later, but we're getting plenty of goalkeepers.

Not good goalkeepers, I might add.

He is using us to buy and sell players, to make money.

We all know that you won't make money the tried & tested way.

However, what he can't get his "robotic emotionless" brain around, is that competitive professional sport is all about trying to win. This is what every fa/customer wants.

We don't not want an owner, that isn't bothered whether we win or not, as long as we've played some 3rd rate goalie, in order, that he can then sell him. He likely won't sell them if they are playing as an overage player in the U21's.

Virtually everyone can see we need a hold up man up front & a creative midfielder.

RD knows that because Peeters stated that he'd told him what he wanted.

What do we get ?

A goalkeeper, a centre half that's not even training with his 1st team & 2 defensive midfielders.

Now I really hope they are all a great success, but they are not what we "needed".

If you go to your boss at work and say to get this job properly I need 2 brickies and the multi millionaire says you can't have them, but you can have a couple of plasterers that were not performing at my other outlet, what would you think ?

I really can't understand why some people do not understand this. Is it really that difficult to understand ?

How can we have a good team morale, when the players are aware that the boss doesn't really give a stuff about results, as lond as he can flog them for a profit ?

Would you join Charlton as a player, knowing that he'll try & flog you to the network, if he can turn a profit and that your teammates, won't be teammates for long ?

In summary, even if we were relegated, how does this stop RD's plan. I don't see that it does.

His ridiculous methods are clearly a danger to this club and we need to make it clear, that we are far from happy.

RD & KM won't engage in conversation, because it's not possible to credibly make a case for his plan, that any club supporters in the world would be happy to accept.

I don't feel we can change him, but we can at least try and make it crystal clear, what we think of his crazy idea.

Well said.