Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jimmy Stone on twitter...

Comments

• Yep, because all our managerial changes were definitely about winning football games and nothing else. Definitely.

Well Powell and Peters certainly wern't winning many!
  • Rossman92 said:

Thais just popped into my mind. We have an owner who doesn't care about winning, and a Manager who's first words were I hate to lose. My what a lovely pairing

Easy compromise, draw, draw, draw, draw, draw...........................................................................................................................
    Well looks like Roly really has been picking the team cos we've had more draws than anything else this season.
  • Bubble said:

Its no real surprise that manager's heads roll either during or just after a transfer window,

But not, surely, during or after every one!

• seth plum said:

So Guy Luzon likes to win, doesn't like to lose, we are told that Mr Peeters was sacked because of results, yet Mr Duchatelet supposedly says results don't matter, which we witness with our own eyes when we see the games and observe the transfer policy.
    Whether results matter or not the bald fact is we're not getting them anyway, and that is driving fans away.

"Results" to you and I mean on the pitch. These don't matter to Roland. The "results" Roland are concerned about are the increasing values of his / our players. The lack of enquiries from clubs wanting to buy any of our players must be a concern to him. His model can only ever work if he can sell the players on. He wants them in the shop window. He wants their values increased and to sell them on at a profit. This isn't happening. I am sure he has an advisor (Duhan?) telling him that , PP, George etc.. are Championship players and that he will get a profit on them. The adviser has massively under estimated the Championship.

He needs to see that success on the pitch will increase the players value.
  • Have any of us met Roland to actually get to know his personality or are we just seeing the whole situation through the (potentially distorted) eyes of others? Everyone on here seems to know the man really well, being able to explain his motives behind every move.
  • Curb_It said:

I agree covered end but on the other hand I hope Jimmy has a new job.

A prospective employer might think twice once they see he has a tendency to relay private conversations to a wider audience..

• It comes across as unprofessional for a recently ex employee to be tweeting things of this nature..
  • A very quick observation.

If it is about players the performance of the team is irrelevant.

History tells us that Michael Gliksten sold Len Glover for a then British record fee for a winger. Billy Bonds, Mike Bailey and Marvin Hinton to name but three were also sold for decent money by the standards of the time.

Charlton were a struggling second tier club for most of the period those players were with us. 63-64 was the one decent season.

• LenGlover said:

A very quick observation.

History tells us that Michael Gliksten sold Len Glover for a then British record fee for a winger. Billy Bonds, Mike Bailey and Marvin Hinton to name but three were also sold for decent money by the standards of the time.

Charlton were a struggling second tier club for most of the period those players were with us. 63-64 was the one decent season.

1968/9 wasn't bad either, Len.

• Sponsored links:

• Bubble said:

Its no real surprise that manager's heads roll either during or just after a transfer window,

But not, surely, during or after every one!

Sorry I don't think I made it clear, I mean't its no real surprise under our current ownership
  • LenGlover said:

1968/9 wasn't bad either, Len.

Those players had all left by then.
  • LenGlover said:

The Gliksten model is hardly one that anyone in business would follow though, Len. The consequences of such a strategy on the pitch led to relegation & near-bankruptcy. Even if you have a reasonable stream of young players, the returns are uncertain - look how cheaply we offloaded Paul Elliott, for example. (or Alan Campbell).

On the other hand, our run to the play offs mid 90s surely enhanced Lee Bowyer's value, and we got a very good price there. So on-the-pitch failure will undermine any attempt to simply tread water & sell on young players
  • edited February 2015
    Christ knows what is happening behind the scenes. Wouldn't at all surprise me if that nutcase of an owner wanted to change manages at half time. Maybe we should give Luzon, Peeters and a random person 30 mins each on Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2015
    colthe3rd said:

So on his Twitter he says that about the "not bothered about winning" comment that he was told during an interview that is on youtube but has been edited out. Having watched that interview it seems a bit off. RD clearly knows what to say in terms of what fans want to hear, e.g he denies about turning into a feeder club, praises CP and says he's a very good manager, says the fans are excellent and that the support is important to the team. Why then in the middle of saying all those fan friendly things would he blurt out that he doesn't care about winning? It just doesn't seem to fit.

I'm not saying he didn't say it or calling Jimmy a liar it just seems strange. RD is a politician after all and knows saying anything like that would be shooting yourself in the foot. Also I don't understand why he wouldn't want to win. I've said before I'm sure his ultimate goal is to get us to the PL. There is literally no other way this club could be profitable enough for someone to buy. Perhaps something was lost in translation? Also seems a bit unlikely as his English does seem usually good but also a possibility.

I'm not dismissing off hand what he has put on Twitter but I also don't want to jump on it immediately and shout "look look look, we're doomed" etc.

No he doesn't, Jimmy said Duchatelet made the comment about replacing Powell at half time in that video, which considering it is a video about the tough week which included that decision makes perfect sense. The comment about not being bothered about winning was made at a different time.

• Essex_Al said:

Christ knows what is happening behind the scenes. Wouldn't at all surprise me if that nutcase of an owner wanted to change manages at half time. Maybe we should give Luzon, Peeters and a random person 30 mins each on Saturday.

If I was the owner and saw the shite that was served up at Sheffield, I'd want to change the manager at half time as well!
    I know what you mean.

However, with this bloke, it probably wasn't a performance issue (seeing as he doesn't mind losing). He was probably bored and fancied a change.
  • edited February 2015

Essex_Al said:

If I was the owner and saw the shite that was served up at Sheffield, I'd want to change the manager at half time as well!
    I know what you mean.

However, with this bloke, it probably wasn't a performance issue (seeing as he doesn't mind losing). He was probably bored and fancied a change.
    He was furious because Powell refused to play Thuram. But that's old news and Powell was never going to work long-term in this regime. It would have blown up one way or the other.
  • Rob62 said:

Essex_Al said:

I know what you mean.

He was furious because Powell refused to play Thuram up front.
  • Rob62 said:

colthe3rd said:

So on his Twitter he says that about the "not bothered about winning" comment that he was told during an interview that is on youtube but has been edited out. Having watched that interview it seems a bit off. RD clearly knows what to say in terms of what fans want to hear, e.g he denies about turning into a feeder club, praises CP and says he's a very good manager, says the fans are excellent and that the support is important to the team. Why then in the middle of saying all those fan friendly things would he blurt out that he doesn't care about winning? It just doesn't seem to fit.

I'm not saying he didn't say it or calling Jimmy a liar it just seems strange. RD is a politician after all and knows saying anything like that would be shooting yourself in the foot. Also I don't understand why he wouldn't want to win. I've said before I'm sure his ultimate goal is to get us to the PL. There is literally no other way this club could be profitable enough for someone to buy. Perhaps something was lost in translation? Also seems a bit unlikely as his English does seem usually good but also a possibility.

I'm not dismissing off hand what he has put on Twitter but I also don't want to jump on it immediately and shout "look look look, we're doomed" etc.

No he doesn't, Jimmy said Duchatelet made the comment about replacing Powell at half time in that video, which considering it is a video about the tough week which included that decision makes perfect sense. The comment about not being bothered about winning was made at a different time.

Fair enough I got mixed up when looking through the conversations on my phone.

I think the point still stands though. I don't really see why he would say it nor why it would be true.
  • Well he did say it, I can tell you that with 100% confidence :)
  • kentred2 said:

Essex_Al said:

That shyte at Sheffield was down to Roland. The players and Powell obviuosly new before the game Powell had been sacked. That Roland could not give a shyte about Charlton fans was proved that day.
    sorry but that still doesn't excuse the players performance in my eyes. They were still getting paid for playing football. Also, wouldn't it make you more determined to go out and perform for the gaffer to show support for him and send him off with a win?

Not to mention the prospect of a cup semi final at Wembley for the players.