Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trust Calls Public Meeting of Fans - Woolwich Grand Theatre – Wed 18th Feb 7.30pm

Comments

• ross1 said:

I live too far to attend and I am not a member of the trust but would still like some input and hear of the meeting, seeing that I have supported Charlton for nearly 70 years and was a season ticket holder for many years

It is an open meeting open to all , regardless of wether you are a trust member.
    You could write to :CAS Trust, c/o The Beehive, 365 Footscray Road, London SE9 2DR
    or email your question to secretary@castrust.org

Congratulations on supporting the club for 70 years,
  • In total support.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

kentred2 said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Oh dear! I will attend, not to laugh in anyone's face (bed wetters or not) but to try and understand cos I just don't get it.
    All this "ripping the heart out ...." And "getting our club back" is just nonsense to me. It doesn't make sense as it has no foundation. And all the Belgian hating is bordering on racism (or at best xenophobia).
    For me it boils down to poor results/performances which has cast disillusionment over us after a solid start to the season. I'm sure some of you will argue otherwise but in your heart of hearts would you really be up in arms if we were still in the top six? I am damn sure a huge percentage wouldn't be.

You will never get it sadly. You just haven't got a clue.
    Then give me an answer as to how a multi millionaire investor who believes in bringing through home grown players has "ripped out the heart if the club "
    - interfered in player selection
    - sacked Chris Powell for standing up for his right to pick the side
    - sold our top scorer when we were desperate for goals
    - failed to show loyalty to the man he brought in to keep us up, very probably because he picked Powell's side to get us out of trouble against Mein Fuhrer's wishes
    - promised supporter dialogue in the close season but fail to engage
    - failed to back Bob Peeters need for midfield and striking support to help us maintain early season momentum.
    - sacked Peeters and then appoints his out-of-work Coach hours after getting his CE-Ho to laughably tell us about twenty applicants, interviews and an exhaustive search etc a Coach who has history with at least several of our team.
    - gets the CE-Ho to tell us we "need to accept" that it's Roland's Way.
    - fails to take impending relegation battle seriously by not investing in the January window
    - reappoints Riga at SL, a man deemed not good enough to continue at Charlton
    - a man still refusing to expand on his Network ideas which make increasingly less sense in practice and which holed below-the waterline without a fully functioning FFP
    - on top of this, we have increasingly less player continuity and four managers in 12 months - it's all temporary tinkering, not a strategy or a plan
    - all of the above which has fans threatening not to renew season tickets in droves and the biggest lack of interest since the late 7O's

Thanks for taking the time but ......
    >the large majority of that is player performance & manager recruitment related.
    >a large part is hearsay
    >communication?? Could be better but do you think many of the other 91 league clubs do better on this?
    >fans apathy is a worry re future attendance but that is in our hands not RDs and I say again, better results would take care of that

Nothing there that tells me RD is killing our club. Investment in the club has been made, youth is encouraged, players/managers have been changed in an effort to find a winning formula. All things that should be applauded in my view.

I sincerely worry that all this hysteria could become the very thing that does rip the heart out of the club and the true basis of that hysteria is because of poor results.

• Good idea, hope to be there with you all.
  • Well done CAST for taking initiative, can't see there being a poor turnout for this.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Taxi_Lad said:

kentred2 said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Oh dear! I will attend, not to laugh in anyone's face (bed wetters or not) but to try and understand cos I just don't get it.
    All this "ripping the heart out ...." And "getting our club back" is just nonsense to me. It doesn't make sense as it has no foundation. And all the Belgian hating is bordering on racism (or at best xenophobia).
    For me it boils down to poor results/performances which has cast disillusionment over us after a solid start to the season. I'm sure some of you will argue otherwise but in your heart of hearts would you really be up in arms if we were still in the top six? I am damn sure a huge percentage wouldn't be.

Then give me an answer as to how a multi millionaire investor who believes in bringing through home grown players has "ripped out the heart if the club "
    - failed to show loyalty to the man he brought in to keep us up, very probably because he picked Powell's side to get us out of trouble against Mein Fuhrer's wishes
    - failed to back Bob Peeters need for midfield and striking support to help us maintain early season momentum.
    - sacked Peeters and then appoints his out-of-work Coach hours after getting his CE-Ho to laughably tell us about twenty applicants, interviews and an exhaustive search etc a Coach who has history with at least several of our team.
    - fails to take impending relegation battle seriously by not investing in the January window
    - a man still refusing to expand on his Network ideas which make increasingly less sense in practice and which holed below-the waterline without a fully functioning FFP
    - on top of this, we have increasingly less player continuity and four managers in 12 months - it's all temporary tinkering, not a strategy or a plan
    - all of the above which has fans threatening not to renew season tickets in droves and the biggest lack of interest since the late 7O's

>the large majority of that is player performance & manager recruitment related.
    >a large part is hearsay
    >communication?? Could be better but do you think many of the other 91 league clubs do better on this?
    >fans apathy is a worry re future attendance but that is in our hands not RDs and I say again, better results would take care of that

Nothing there that tells me RD is killing our club. Investment in the club has been made, youth is encouraged, players/managers have been changed in an effort to find a winning formula. All things that should be applauded in my view.

I sincerely worry that all this hysteria could become the very thing that does rip the heart out of the club and the true basis of that hysteria is because of poor results.

So you think we're doing ok? You think RD is implementing a 'winning formula'. Righto, thanks for making that clear
  • Sponsored links:

• Taxi_Lad said:

Taxi_Lad said:

kentred2 said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Let's look at season ticket renewals then. Let's say we currently have 9,500.

How many do you predict next season in a) the Championship or b) League One?
    I fully expect, no matter what division we are in, that ticket sales will be down and I feel that the negativity perpetrated on this site Will have contributed to it
    Nothing to do with the abysmal communication, inadequate squad, revolving door player management, zero organisational leadership and a complete lack of any realistic narrative about what they are trying to achieve then? All the fault of fans for discussing these things.

There are various ways you can run a football club, but if you make no effort to get buy-in from supporters and treat them as passive units who are simply to accept whatever you do, you had better get it right on the pitch. Duchatelet hasn't and so far shows no sign of even comprehending the damage being done to people's loyalty to the club.

But to measure that effect we need to talk numbers. The support has always been more resilient than people expect in the past, so I suspect we are currently looking at 6-7,000 season tickets in the Championship and maybe 4-5,000 in League One, assuming no price increases. We had 11,000 in 2012/13.

The main reason RD believes in bringing young players in will be because they are cheap, probably just like Katrien Meire. But if they can't do the job it is a false economy. You couldn't have a better example of the heart being ripped out than the many long-serving committed fans who are on the brink of walking away. And it is not just a Charlton Life or internet phenomenon.

Finally, if people think what is publicly known about what is happening at the club is worrying they should hear some of the stories coming out of the training ground now under Luzon. I don't know how true they are so I won't bring them here, but if they are they would shake some of the more complacent responses I'm certain.

We can stand back and let it happen or we can try to do something about it. Each to his or her own, but I say we fight it.
    Dowie-style bleep test on the A2?
  • cabbles said:

How will I be able to recognise other lifers and know who to sit with? I'd quite like to put a face to some names but I'm pretty sure the likes of @ValleyGary doesn't look like a snail and @MrLargo isn't a despicable looking villan :wink: I for one don't look anything like Steve Claridge, so if anyone thinks they're going to meet someone with 907,548 clubs and 147 goals then they'll be mightily disappointed.

In all serious well done to the Trust for suggesting and mobilising it. I hope to be there

I do look like Dick Emery..
  • I keep hearing about Roland's way and I realise it is total dog shit but I'm of an age where it reminds me of simpler times on a Sunday night when I used to hum along to Howard's Way before prank calling Clive R on RTM. Aaah those were the days.

Ps Duchatelet out and take your toupee with you!
  • This is excellent news and facilitating this meeting is precisely what the Trust should be doing. I see no conceivable downside and a large turnout and a concerted response from supporters (whatever form that takes) will convey the current strength of feeling.

It will be very difficult to try and persuade RD to modify his approach but we have a choice: we can either sit on our collective arse and wring our hands about what's happening to the club or try and do something about it.
  • Get fliers circulated at the Brentford game advertising the date and venue.

Would be more than happy to assist in the handing out of these, as I'm sure many others would be.

A good and positive move by the trust IMO. There will always be those who think that this is over the top, that's to be predicted because of the discussions on here over the past few days on the "for or against" Duchatalet debate.

I am sitting on the fence with my own opinion about him, I recognise what he has done for the infrastructure of the club (despite it being necessary) and also some of the quality players that he has brought in. However the whole saga of getting the right man to manage coach this football team (something I still feel we haven't done) has been one of a long list of shambles, including leaving the squad short.

The general apathy of Charlton fans is deeply concerning. For me, the buzz of attending match days outweighs the politics and I will always travel home and away (stupidly) to watch the the team because I love watching the guys in red and white play football, despite feeling slightly disillusioned by what is happening higher up in the club.

But then again I'm a young fan, and I haven't had the financial investment in the club that those older than me might have had and I also wasn't around for the "Back To The Valley" campaign, so those may be reasons why I am feeling less down about the club than others? I don't have that apathy because I didn't have to fight to get our identity ... it was already there? Just thinking out loud.

I do not blame those who wish to vote with their feet though, I more than understand why ... it's an individual thing for each person. That's why I think that this is a good idea because I don't want to be sitting in sub 10k crowds at The Valley because everyone has lost the will to live with Duchatalet.

• Can we discuss the proposal to rename Floyd Road?
  • cabbles said:

How will I be able to recognise other lifers and know who to sit with? I'd quite like to put a face to some names but I'm pretty sure the likes of @ValleyGary doesn't look like a snail and @MrLargo isn't a despicable looking villan :wink: I for one don't look anything like Steve Claridge, so if anyone thinks they're going to meet someone with 907,548 clubs and 147 goals then they'll be mightily disappointed.

In all serious well done to the Trust for suggesting and mobilising it. I hope to be there

My ex frequently told me I was a despicable villain or words to that effect!

Anyway, if you meet a bloke who looks like a cross between Dolph Lundgren and Jimmy Somerville then that's probably me, based on what some of my less witty friends tell me.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Taxi_Lad said:

kentred2 said:

Taxi_Lad said:

>a large part is hearsay

So you think we're doing ok? You think RD is implementing a 'winning formula'. Righto, thanks for making that clear
    Doing ok / winning....... Again just performance related. Nothing heart ripping then?? But crack on!
  • Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:

cabbles said:

Anyway, if you meet a bloke who looks like a cross between Dolph Lundgren and Jimmy Somerville then that's probably me, based on what some of my less witty friends tell me.
    Are you sure they said Jimmy Somerville?
  • MrLargo said:

cabbles said:

He's just showing off
  • MrLargo said:

cabbles said:

I hope you're not implying it was another Jimmy?! I ain't that despicable!
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Taxi_Lad said:

kentred2 said:

Taxi_Lad said:

>a large part is hearsay

There is so much more to a football club than results. Haven't we proved that in the past?
  • "Saint truden aren't part of the network"

So why included in the 'kids of the network' picture
  • Surely this thread is not to discuss the Rd pro and against its to say aye or nay to attendance to give some form of info to allow the trust to book a room or function venue

The meeting is out there a date will be set and from now on surely the constant sniping should stop until this meeting is concluded

The one main aim for all fans is a healthy and united team on the pitch with a healthy bank balance to match

I'd attend but I am not in the UK that week so won't be able to

However I hope it goes well I hope all there are respectful of all points of view

I hope you get more than 100-200 people attending because if you don't I fear that the meeting won't be taken seriously by anyone at the club or those that don't believe the problem is as bad as some fear

• Perhaps we need a thread where those who, for various reasons, will be unable to attend the meeting can digitally sign in to the meeting. That way it will be harder for RD and KM to argue that the fan base is not adequately represented.

• I think katrien is washing her hair that evening