Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trust Calls Public Meeting of Fans - Woolwich Grand Theatre – Wed 18th Feb 7.30pm

Comments

• Well done - My lapsed Trust membership will now be reviewed and I hope I can attend.
  • Living in Chelmsford, I'll make every effort to be there! I look forward to it.
  • dancafc said:

The thing is will roland listen coz standard have tried all sorts and it still doesn't bother him unless someone has a sack full of money I think we will just have to swallow his shit

Possibly not. But I'd definitely prefer some kind of positive action from the fans to hopefully develop a communication channel with the club rather than everyone just sitting on their hands in the hope things will improve.
    I am a little confused about whether the intention is to build bridges or to burn them.
  • This is a good idea and hope to be there
  • delroofer said:

dancafc said:

The thing is will roland listen coz standard have tried all sorts and it still doesn't bother him unless someone has a sack full of money I think we will just have to swallow his shit

Possibly not. But I'd definitely prefer some kind of positive action from the fans to hopefully develop a communication channel with the club rather than everyone just sitting on their hands in the hope things will improve.
    I am a little confused about whether the intention is to build bridges or to burn them.
    Both - but then we'll get them with our boats..
  • kentred2 said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Oh dear! I will attend, not to laugh in anyone's face (bed wetters or not) but to try and understand cos I just don't get it.
    All this "ripping the heart out ...." And "getting our club back" is just nonsense to me. It doesn't make sense as it has no foundation. And all the Belgian hating is bordering on racism (or at best xenophobia).
    For me it boils down to poor results/performances which has cast disillusionment over us after a solid start to the season. I'm sure some of you will argue otherwise but in your heart of hearts would you really be up in arms if we were still in the top six? I am damn sure a huge percentage wouldn't be.

You will never get it sadly. You just haven't got a clue.
    Then give me an answer as to how a multi millionaire investor who believes in bringing through home grown players has "ripped out the heart if the club "
  • dancafc said:

Totally agree
  • Not being funny Prague, just my opinion but I'd rather Trust subscriptions went towards what is undoubtedly the most key event in the Trusts history and future rather that Trust News, which is essentially a fanzine.

I'm sure as long as the cost wasn't extravagant it would be recouped by an honest plea and a collection bowl on the night.

It highlights how crazy the club has become that it doesn't have any control over what is booked at The Valley, and I'm sure they would not want to damage goodwill even further by blocking an attempt by supporters to discuss how they can organise themselves further to help improve the fortunes and identity of the Club they run at the venue of what the supporters helped make such a special home.

Last thing they would want is even more bad pr.

Apologies if diluting the wider subject / context.

There is a risk that the powers that be find a spurious reason to cancel a meeting at the Valley, whatever they say upfront. For any booking it would be wise to have a back up plan, i.e. alternate venue (e.g. Lib club?) in case of problems.
    That is what crossed our minds. If we would go to the Valley, we would perhaps need to carefully inspect the written contract which I'm sure they provide to all customers....
    Steer clear of the Valley, contract or not I'm sure it won't cover electrical failure etc which could easily happen :-)
  • delroofer said:

dancafc said:

As per our statement ( http://www.castrust.org/2015/02/trust-calls-public-meeting-fans/), we've been trying to build bridges however it's KM's view that nothing more needs to be explained to the supporter base and that we need to just accept how the regime runs out club.

The offer for constructive dialogue is still open, but we - as Addicks, not just the Trust - need to see what other avenues are open to us.
  • Sponsored links:

• delroofer said:

dancafc said:

Burn I hope. Force him out.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

kentred2 said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Oh dear! I will attend, not to laugh in anyone's face (bed wetters or not) but to try and understand cos I just don't get it.
    All this "ripping the heart out ...." And "getting our club back" is just nonsense to me. It doesn't make sense as it has no foundation. And all the Belgian hating is bordering on racism (or at best xenophobia).
    For me it boils down to poor results/performances which has cast disillusionment over us after a solid start to the season. I'm sure some of you will argue otherwise but in your heart of hearts would you really be up in arms if we were still in the top six? I am damn sure a huge percentage wouldn't be.

Then give me an answer as to how a multi millionaire investor who believes in bringing through home grown players has "ripped out the heart if the club "
    Let's look at season ticket renewals then. Let's say we currently have 9,500.

How many do you predict next season in a) the Championship or b) League One?
  • Taxi_Lad said:

kentred2 said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Let's look at season ticket renewals then. Let's say we currently have 9,500.

How many do you predict next season in a) the Championship or b) League One?
    Championship 5000
    League 1 3000 max
    But that does depend on price I would say
  • Beckboy said:

As someone said earlier we need to get this circulating in the press maybe SLP?

Patrick Collins?, Martin Samuel?

Venue wise, what is the capacity of the City Addicks venue?
  • se9addick said:

West2003 said:

I don't really want to distract from organising the meeting, sadly I won't be able to attend but if I could, I would as I agree with it in principle.

However I do have to agree with some of the detractors, in terms of the "ripping the heart and soul of the club" phrase being repeatedly used. I think RD and co would frankly laugh at that suggestion. Until the name of the club or stadium is changed, the home shirt colour is changed (this season is more due to Nike), the club badge is changed or if we leave The Valley again to a temporary home until further nice, I don't really think there is any reason to say that.

The reason for a meeting isn't panicking; yes results and the manager are part of it, but this is about the disillusionment and worry about the direction Charlton Athletic is heading in. What are the actual goals and aims of the club as a separate entity, removed from the network as a separate club? Are we recruiting players and managers in the best interests in the club, based on track record and achievements and what the club needs in terms of quality and character, or down to challenging FFP and doing things on the cheap within the network? And are we merely a cog as part of a machine that will sell our best assets and move on managers to the best performing club in the network?

Again not panicking - fans wanting answers and communication with the club about what they're doing and whose interests its in, and getting our opportunity to explain our feelings on what's happening and what we would like done.

Might be a little bit late to organise ourselves by that point. Better to look for the early warning signs, the link so many fans feel with the club being severed, odd decisions in the transfer market and a general aura of despondency amongst a whole swathe of our support base seem like indicators that something isn't right.
    I didn't say we shouldn't organise a meeting to discuss action or wait until those examples potentially happen, I'm just saying the idea that the heart and soul is being ripped out the club is a bit extreme and OTT at this point. I am fully behind the meeting and any potential action at the present time to show how we feel about the recent events under the current owner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Taxi_Lad said:

@Taxi_Lad : Can i politely suggest you have a close read of the Trust article from mid-January at http://www.castrust.org/2015/01/club-responds-fans-new-cafc-head-coach-hire-process/

The sub-title of the article is "As fans, we believe we now need to get behind the team and watch to see what happens next in the transfer window and most importantly on the pitch."

Firstly you may like to ask yourself what you find factually incorrect in the article (it would be interesting to hear if you know something different), what the results have been since it was written, what transfers you have been excited about in the latest window, and what league position we are in.

We're not in the top six, and but for a last minute leveller on Saturday we would have been 12th, and maybe a lot more people would still be fairly relaxed about the whole thing. Fact is we are 18th, and not won for 12 games. The trends in our on-field performance are pretty clear.

Given what has already gone on during RDs reign even a win at Middlesbrough or home to Norwich is too late for some. Some of us feel RD has damaged the club and will continue to do so. You don't seem to be able to empathise with that point of view at the moment but I hope the article at the link above and other discussions on CL help you at least get to a point where you know what is going on around you.
    I find it hard to empathise with peoples views if They can't tell me why they feel that way. It just smacks of hystrionics!
  • I live too far to attend and I am not a member of the trust but would still like some input and hear of the meeting, seeing that I have supported Charlton for nearly 70 years and was a season ticket holder for many years
  • Guys, think this through. Whoever is running this meeting must have a strong Chairman who can control it. Prior to the meeting there should be an Agenda circulated (via websites etc) and the Chairman must be able to ensure that the Agenda is kept to. It will no doubt include "Any Other Business" so that people can pursue their own concerns, but if it starts as a free for all it will not only get out of hand but the publicity could be damaging.

Just imagine you have 100-200 people all wanting to speak at once, interjections, abuse, people talking over each other, the end result will be chaotic.

It's absolutely the intention that there will be a defined process for the meeting.
  • edited February 2015
    ross1 said:

I live too far to attend and I am not a member of the trust but would still like some input and hear of the meeting, seeing that I have supported Charlton for nearly 70 years and was a season ticket holder for many years

The CAST statement says that they are seeking input via the website. As they want the support of as many fans as possible, both members and non-members. It's likely that all fans will be able to have the opportunity to have their say via the web and not just members. I'm not sure how they would like fans to get in touch but I'm sure a simple e-mail would be a good starting point. Their contact details are here:

http://www.castrust.org/contact/
  • Not sure what to say other then my full support for this, hopefully can make it but if not like others, im still willing to donate a little towards making sure this can happen in a big enough venue for everyone to get in.
  • Any chance of filming/recording the meeting by the way?