Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trust Calls Public Meeting of Fans - Woolwich Grand Theatre – Wed 18th Feb 7.30pm

Comments

• edited February 2015
    I reckon Katrien will be gone at the end of the season, whatever happens.

I just hope Roly has gone to.

• Kap10 said:

Kap10 said:

Judging by the response on here so far - which is brilliant - we are going to have to plan carefully about how we handle the demand for attendance at this meeting. We've got two locations under consideration, don't yet know if either are free for the date we've pencilled in. Now we will have to look at capacity too.

Please bear in mind that since we've called the meeting, the Trust has to pay for it. We don't have a big budget. Of course the more who join, the more that will help if we have to look for a bigger place.

But for that reason for now we will confine ourself to letting people know on this and the other main CAFC fan sites.

Confused now! So shouldn't I be putting it on LinkedIn or "Hill to The Valley", the private Charlton mailing list that I am on or tell the guy that sits next to me at the Valley and does not have a clue?
    Don't be picky Kap, its an open public meeting. Tell who you like, how you like

I did not think I was being picky, I started to use all my communications means to highlight the statement then saw a a post that indicated to me that "For now we will confine ourself to letting people know on this and the other main CAFC site" so what is it confine or "tell who you like"?
    Kap, it's pretty simple really. @Airman Brown, who has long advocated a public meeting, thought that we might do well to get 100 people. Looking at the reaction so far that might seem to be a huge underestimate. So my post was more a response to @Beckboy and others who for very good reasons were suggesting we get onto the newspapers, and give out flyers(which cost money) to publicise it. It looks like we've already done enough via CL, ITTV, Facebook, Twitter, the Mailing List - bloggers like Chicago Addick have picked it up, you've put it on Linked In...job done I think. The job now is to get you all in and work out a programme which gives maximum voice, but ends with some concrete agreements.
    I'm sure I don't need to point this out, but saying you'll attend on a public forum and actually getting your backside there at the allotted time is very different. I hope there is a big response and people do turn up in numbers. I'll do my very best to attend or at the very least I will contribute by communicating via the website.
    Point taken. @Airman Brown will probably have the best antenna for this

• RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Personally I do not think that now is the time for such a meeting, and I honestly think that while there is discontent.....many of you have 'worked each other up' on this forum.

I would like to attend, but would quite possibly offend people by laughing at the collective bed - wetting that I can see occurring.

I will, of course, throw my hat in to the ring and get involved once I feel it is the appropriate time.

Fair enough each to their own and don't take offence but this comes across a bit like formet work colleagues who refused to join the union or staff association but were more than happy to take the pay rises that those institutions fought for.
    No offence taken. Although perhaps that is because I don't really understand your analogy.
    C'mon, surely the more that get behind any action now is better than 'throwing your hat in at a later date' and reaping the rewards of others' actions. Anyway as I said, each to their own.
    Maybe so, but as I said I do not agree with others' actions at this time.

I read about a Brit that went abroad to join the IS and now regrets his decision but cannot leave for a few reasons. I bet he wishes that he threw his hat in the ring at a later date and didn't get caught up in the initial hype.

Should this meeting not evolve in to an IS type community, and in time I believe that the time is right for action....will I get turned away at the door for being a latecomer?
  • May I suggest at least enquiring with Delaware, and politely informing the parent club that we are doing so.
    It may even be an opportunity for Katrien to fling open the doors of a lounge for us (we can try to pay the hiring fee, not looking for a handout, but a hand up!), with her blessing, in the spirit of openness, freedom of speech and friendship.
  • I'll be there, hope we get a good turnout.
  • seth plum said:

Personally I do not think that now is the time for such a meeting, and I honestly think that while there is discontent.....many of you have 'worked each other up' on this forum.

I would like to attend, but would quite possibly offend people by laughing at the collective bed - wetting that I can see occurring.

I will, of course, throw my hat in to the ring and get involved once I feel it is the appropriate time.

You could be right about fanning each others flames, and maybe the meeting will be very poorly attended. I personally wouldn't be offended if you attended, observed what you think is collective bed-wetting, and laughed in some of our faces, even without saying why, or what you think.
    What I disagree with here, is the idea that now is not the time for a meeting. Fans will soon be making decisions regarding buying season tickets, or indeed attending further games this season as one off purchasers. Fans may even feel ambivalent about exercising energy to back the team in the play-off push/relegation fight, and however ethereal it may seem as a concept they are looking for a reason to believe.
    Now is probably the right time in my view.

Fair enough. We will disagree on the timing of it.

It just intrigues me as to why now is the moment as opposed to Parky's continued appointment, TJ and MS not paying the bills/wages etc.
    Powell bought slater and Jimenez a lot of time.

Murray was actively looking for a buyer in the Parky era.
    So both of those reasons are acceptable answers for not going in to full blown panic mode?
  • Kap10 said:

Kap10 said:

Judging by the response on here so far - which is brilliant - we are going to have to plan carefully about how we handle the demand for attendance at this meeting. We've got two locations under consideration, don't yet know if either are free for the date we've pencilled in. Now we will have to look at capacity too.

Please bear in mind that since we've called the meeting, the Trust has to pay for it. We don't have a big budget. Of course the more who join, the more that will help if we have to look for a bigger place.

But for that reason for now we will confine ourself to letting people know on this and the other main CAFC fan sites.

Confused now! So shouldn't I be putting it on LinkedIn or "Hill to The Valley", the private Charlton mailing list that I am on or tell the guy that sits next to me at the Valley and does not have a clue?
    Don't be picky Kap, its an open public meeting. Tell who you like, how you like

I did not think I was being picky, I started to use all my communications means to highlight the statement then saw a a post that indicated to me that "For now we will confine ourself to letting people know on this and the other main CAFC site" so what is it confine or "tell who you like"?
    Kap, it's pretty simple really. @Airman Brown, who has long advocated a public meeting, thought that we might do well to get 100 people. Looking at the reaction so far that might seem to be a huge underestimate. So my post was more a response to @Beckboy and others who for very good reasons were suggesting we get onto the newspapers, and give out flyers(which cost money) to publicise it. It looks like we've already done enough via CL, ITTV, Facebook, Twitter, the Mailing List - bloggers like Chicago Addick have picked it up, you've put it on Linked In...job done I think. The job now is to get you all in and work out a programme which gives maximum voice, but ends with some concrete agreements.
    Thanks for the clarification that was all I wanted, rather than being told I was picky, which I wasn't. HTTV has had 150 hits in the last hour
  • edited February 2015
    Not being funny Prague, just my opinion but I'd rather Trust subscriptions went towards what is undoubtedly the most key event in the Trusts history and future rather that for example, Trust News, which is essentially a fanzine.

I'm sure as long as the cost wasn't extravagant it would be recouped by an honest plea and a collection bowl on the night.

It highlights how crazy the club has become that it doesn't have any control over what is booked at The Valley, and I'm sure they would not want to damage goodwill even further by blocking an attempt by supporters to discuss how they can organise themselves further to help improve the fortunes and identity of the Club they run at the venue of what the supporters helped make such a special home.

Last thing they would want is even more bad pr.

Apologies if diluting the wider subject / context.
  • Not being funny Prague, just my opinion but I'd rather Trust subscriptions went towards what is undoubtedly the most key event in the Trusts history and future rather that Trust News, which is essentially a fanzine.

I'm sure as long as the cost wasn't extravagant it would be recouped by an honest plea and a collection bowl on the night.

It highlights how crazy the club has become that it doesn't have any control over what is booked at The Valley, and I'm sure they would not want to damage goodwill even further by blocking an attempt by supporters to discuss how they can organise themselves further to help improve the fortunes and identity of the Club they run at the venue of what the supporters helped make such a special home.

Well lets find out what we can get for what cost on Feb 18. Maybe I'm getting carried away as @WestCountryAddick suggests. Maybe once we know what we can get, we can consult with you, Airman and other people with good instincts as to the likely turnout, before we finally book.
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Fair enough each to their own and don't take offence but this comes across a bit like formet work colleagues who refused to join the union or staff association but were more than happy to take the pay rises that those institutions fought for.
    No offence taken. Although perhaps that is because I don't really understand your analogy.
    C'mon, surely the more that get behind any action now is better than 'throwing your hat in at a later date' and reaping the rewards of others' actions. Anyway as I said, each to their own.

I read about a Brit that went abroad to join the IS and now regrets his decision but cannot leave for a few reasons. I bet he wishes that he threw his hat in the ring at a later date and didn't get caught up in the initial hype.

Should this meeting not evolve in to an IS type community, and in time I believe that the time is right for action....will I get turned away at the door for being a latecomer?

Infidel!!

Death by Thermos to you.

;-)
    Picked bad timing, bounds to be lots of Bovril available after the FF notified the club about the low stocks!

Not trying to offend or 'WUM' but offering my tuppence worth.
  • Not being funny Prague, just my opinion but I'd rather Trust subscriptions went towards what is undoubtedly the most key event in the Trusts history and future rather that Trust News, which is essentially a fanzine.

There is a risk that the powers that be find a spurious reason to cancel a meeting at the Valley, whatever they say upfront. For any booking it would be wise to have a back up plan, i.e. alternate venue (e.g. Lib club?) in case of problems.
  • RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

I would hope that you or anyone else would not be turned away for having a contrary view and were able to articulate that view.
  • The obvious venues, including Woolwich Town Hall, quote a 250 capacity. Possibly that is based on table seating in some cases.

I did not predict a turnout of 100. I thought we would get at least that even if circumstances change over the next couple of weeks.

I don't see a problem with a whip round on the night to support the hire cost. Hopefully then the trust will make a profit on the event that can be spent on the campaign.
  • edited February 2015

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Wow that's some leap! Charlton fans meeting about the state of their club to unions fighting for pay rises to IS mercenaries, anyway you'll be alright as long as you have got a CAFC tattoo, if not I'll vouch for you. :wink:

There is a risk that the powers that be find a spurious reason to cancel a meeting at the Valley, whatever they say upfront. For any booking it would be wise to have a back up plan, i.e. alternate venue (e.g. Lib club?) in case of problems.
    That is what crossed our minds. If we would go to the Valley, we would perhaps need to carefully inspect the written contract which I'm sure they provide to all customers....
  • Oh dear! I will attend, not to laugh in anyone's face (bed wetters or not) but to try and understand cos I just don't get it.
    All this "ripping the heart out ...." And "getting our club back" is just nonsense to me. It doesn't make sense as it has no foundation. And all the Belgian hating is bordering on racism (or at best xenophobia).
    For me it boils down to poor results/performances which has cast disillusionment over us after a solid start to the season. I'm sure some of you will argue otherwise but in your heart of hearts would you really be up in arms if we were still in the top six? I am damn sure a huge percentage wouldn't be.
  • Kap10 said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

I would hope that you or anyone else would not be turned away for having a contrary view and were able to articulate that view.
    I just fear, that by the meeting's very nature, that such views wouldn't be well received and the mob mentality and defence mechanism would kick in......

I can see it now, just like a flock/gaggle/herd? Of turkeys...silence - then one turkey 'gobbles' and all the others go absolutely 'gobbling crazy' and drown out the brave turkey that went first.

If anyone else wants random analogies, chuck me a topic and I'll try my best. Already ticked IS and turkeys off the list!
  • Excellent idea and really look forward to this evening.

I would email the FSF or contact them on social media to offer some free publicity about this event.

• edited February 2015

The obvious venues, including Woolwich Town Hall, quote a 250 capacity. Possibly that is based on table seating in some cases.

I did not predict a turnout of 100. I thought we would get at least that even if circumstances change over the next couple of weeks.

I don't see a problem with a whip round on the night to support the hire cost. Hopefully then the trust will make a profit on the event that can be spent on the campaign.

There may well be people that cannot attend but would be happy to make some form of donation to go towards this event and any subsequent campaign. Maybe it's worth thinking of a way to facilitate that also.
  • Sponsored links:

• Taxi_Lad said:

Oh dear! I will attend, not to laugh in anyone's face (bed wetters or not) but to try and understand cos I just don't get it.
    All this "ripping the heart out ...." And "getting our club back" is just nonsense to me. It doesn't make sense as it has no foundation. And all the Belgian hating is bordering on racism (or at best xenophobia).
    For me it boils down to poor results/performances which has cast disillusionment over us after a solid start to the season. I'm sure some of you will argue otherwise but in your heart of hearts would you really be up in arms if we were still in the top six? I am damn sure a huge percentage wouldn't be.

You will never get it sadly. You just haven't got a clue.
  • dickplumb said:

seth plum said:

You could be right about fanning each others flames, and maybe the meeting will be very poorly attended. I personally wouldn't be offended if you attended, observed what you think is collective bed-wetting, and laughed in some of our faces, even without saying why, or what you think.
    What I disagree with here, is the idea that now is not the time for a meeting. Fans will soon be making decisions regarding buying season tickets, or indeed attending further games this season as one off purchasers. Fans may even feel ambivalent about exercising energy to back the team in the play-off push/relegation fight, and however ethereal it may seem as a concept they are looking for a reason to believe.
    Now is probably the right time in my view.

Fair enough. We will disagree on the timing of it.

It just intrigues me as to why now is the moment as opposed to Parky's continued appointment, TJ and MS not paying the bills/wages etc.
    Powell bought slater and Jimenez a lot of time.

Murray was actively looking for a buyer in the Parky era.
    So both of those reasons are acceptable answers for not going in to full blown panic mode?
    But it is not full blown panic mode, it is doing something positive instead of moaning and whining on Football Forums.
    I admire people acting on their feelings, I really do. But I would say it is the closest to full blown panic mode you could get!

Anyway. I'm off to bed. I look forward to reading the meeting's minutes. (Will the Trust be taking weeks to review and publish these?!)
  • sralan said:

Macronate said:

judging by the reaction already I reckon there's gonna be about 27,111 in attendance.

any ideas for a venue yet?

Valley car park?

Too many potholes.
  • I'll be there too and keen to help in any way I can. Looking forward to the night and hearing everyone's thoughts. Bravo the trust and all others involved with this.
  • edited February 2015

Not being funny Prague, just my opinion but I'd rather Trust subscriptions went towards what is undoubtedly the most key event in the Trusts history and future rather that for example, Trust News, which is essentially a fanzine.

Totally understand the sentiment but I really don't think hosting this at the Valley is a good idea. This is an independent meeting of supporters, people need to feel free to air their views without feeling inhibited by their surroundings.

Plus they've been pretty poor at helping us arrange meetings at the Valley before, God knows what roadblocks they'd put in our way for this one given the purpose of the meeting (which the club would have been aware of about 5 mins after we posted the statement) and we only have a couple of weeks to pull this all together.
  • se9addick said:

I really don't think hosting this at the Valley is a good idea. This is an independent meeting of supporters, people need to feel free to air their views without feeling inhibited by their surroundings.

Plus they've been pretty poor at helping us arrange meetings at the Valley before, God knows what roadblocks they'd put in our way for this one and we only have a couple of weeks to pull this all together.
    I would agree. This needs to happen away from the Club so there is no opportunity for them to put a spanner in the works.
  • The thing is will roland listen coz standard have tried all sorts and it still doesn't bother him unless someone has a sack full of money I think we will just have to swallow his shit
  • Well done to all involved. We can't be there but will be very happy to make a donation for costs.
  • dancafc said:

The thing is will roland listen coz standard have tried all sorts and it still doesn't bother him unless someone has a sack full of money I think we will just have to swallow his shit

Let's find out ?