Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Matthew and Roberts back in charge at Charlton as Luzon misses out on work permit

Comments

• Might have been mentioned already, but seems like this may actually be pretty convenient for the club's senior management.

It takes a lot of the pressure out of a game that Luzon couldn't realistically have influenced anyway - giving him more time to settle, along with fan emotions. A loss today with Luzon in charge would probably spark a pretty poisonous backlash (righly or wrongly).
  • Might have been mentioned already, but seems like this may actually be pretty convenient for the club's senior management.

It takes a lot of the pressure out of a game that Luzon couldn't realistically have influenced anyway - giving him more time to settle, along with fan emotions. A loss today with Luzon in charge would probably spark a pretty poisonous backlash (righly or wrongly).

Surely it just drags the whole saga on for at least another week?
  • I don't know if anyone except the parties directly involved can truly say whether this was a balls-up by the club, the home office, heck maybe even Luzon himself ticked the wrong box somewhere by mistake or there was a silly but time-wasting clerical error but some poor office drone trying to fit one last application in before he/she went home and put the file on the wrong pile - simple human error.

Duchatalet is clearly fully expecting absolutely no problems with the application at all and while there has been a cock-up somewhere I think rumours that the application will be rejected are well wide of the mark, and mere wishful thinking/panic.
  • So what have I missed?
  • I understand there is an approved route for these things, agreed in conjunction with the Home Office, the FA and the PFA (acknowledging Luzon is not a player). One possibility is that the club tried to go outside this. Another is that Luzon did not have the right paperwork with him. In any event, despite the attempts on here to blame the Home Office in order to avoid the implication the club got it wrong again, it's notable that the club doesn't say the HO is at fault.

I don't actually think that's notable, just prudent: it would not seem too sensible to hurl blame onto the Home Office at this stage. If there's anything that's at all likely to get a bureaucrat to process something more slowly than they otherwise would have done or not process it at all, I'd suggest that dumping crap on them before they've tamped the rubber stamp in the ink pad is a sure fire method.
  • cafcfan said:

I understand there is an approved route for these things, agreed in conjunction with the Home Office, the FA and the PFA (acknowledging Luzon is not a player). One possibility is that the club tried to go outside this. Another is that Luzon did not have the right paperwork with him. In any event, despite the attempts on here to blame the Home Office in order to avoid the implication the club got it wrong again, it's notable that the club doesn't say the HO is at fault.

I don't actually think that's notable, just prudent: it would not seem too sensible to hurl blame onto the Home Office at this stage. If there's anything that's at all likely to get a bureaucrat to process something more slowly than they otherwise would have done or not process it at all, I'd suggest that dumping crap on them before they've tamped the rubber stamp in the ink pad is a sure fire method.
    That's a fair point too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rumour has it the head coach has been lined up for weeks. Is this just a clumsy side show to make it appear that he wasn't? The network must know work permit requirements inside out, this all seems odd.
  • edited January 2015
    Evil RD and his female mini me have concocted a conspiracy of labyrinthine complexity to ensure that the clone Lex Luzon will dodge the Charlton equivalent of Kryptonite (flasks of coffee and pies) at the home of football, Watford, thus ensuring his reign of evil will continue for at least 6 months.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Rumour has it the head coach has been lined up for weeks. Is this just a clumsy side show to make it appear that he wasn't? The network must know work permit requirements inside out, this all seems odd.

Not that I am defending the network or what went on, but they won't have this knowledge. Despite what Farage has you believe, each EU country makes its own rules regarding non EU work permits. In particular Belgium has been an easy touch for footballers, as others have noted . It might be that they had a "Belgium mindset", approaching this.

Generally I opt for cock-up over conspiracy in most such cases.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Hanlon's razor.
    Good quote!

Prague, I make you right.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Rumour has it the head coach has been lined up for weeks. Is this just a clumsy side show to make it appear that he wasn't? The network must know work permit requirements inside out, this all seems odd.

Not that I am defending the network or what went on, but they won't have this knowledge. Despite what Farage has you believe, each EU country makes its own rules regarding non EU work permits. In particular Belgium has been an easy touch for footballers, as others have noted . It might be that they had a "Belgium mindset", approaching this.

Hanlon's razor.
    Good quote!

But what are these "razors" people keep talking about nowadays? Who TF is Hanlon? And what is that other "razor"? Occult or something :-)?
  • Whatever the rights and wrongs of this farce, the simple facts of the matter are that this regime does not inspire confidence in its footballing, administrative or communications-related decision-making. They make me quite ill actually.
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:

Hanlon's razor.
    Good quote!

But what are these "razors" people keep talking about nowadays? Who TF is Hanlon? And what is that other "razor"? Occult or something :-)?
    Occam's razor, which states something along the lines of where there are competing hypotheses, pick the one with the fewest assumptions. (In the end of course it may turn out that a more complicated explanation is the correct one, but when working quickly the fewer assumptions the better.)

Either that, or it's an old, old wooden ship used in the US Civil War era. I dunno.
  • Happy birthday to PaddyP17 by the way.
  • Blame this on Jordan Cousins man in the front row of West Stand upper.
  • Starting to think the blame RD KM AND GL are getting is embarrassing now
  • PaddyP17 said:

Hanlon's razor.
    Good quote!

Peaky Belgians
  • Surely if trying to get a work permit for a non-EU national you have to show you tried, but couldn't fill the roll with a locally available worker of the same quality, something the club will find impossible yo do. There's a big difference for example in a club bringing in world cup winner Scolari, and unknown Israeli Luzon.
  • Totally agree. It's not as if there aren't any coaches looking for work in Britain or the EU is it?
  • edited January 2015
    Regarding the question as to whether the club would need to demonstrate no UK based individual could do the job, a previous poster who seemed to have some expertise suggested this was not an issue if the individual earned over 3k p/w. However, I found another document on the home office site that states:

In order for a Certificate of Sponsorship to be assigned, your sponsor will need to have obtained an endorsement for you from the appropriate governing body for your sport. The endorsement will confirm that:
     you are internationally established as a player or coach at the highest level, and
     you will make a significant contribution to the development of your sport at the highest
    level in the UK; and
     you intend to be based in the UK for the duration of your permission to stay; and
     your post could not be filled by a suitable settled worker.

No mention of an exception for high paid workers there.
  • For a layman's perspective, Luzon would surely fail 3 of those 4 criteria.
  • For a layman's perspective, Luzon would surely fail 3 of those 4 criteria.

No he wont