Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Matthew and Roberts back in charge at Charlton as Luzon misses out on work permit

Comments

• No work permit so under the laws of immigration no job.

He's good for a four bed semi in plumstead though!

Well not paid any way
  • shirty5 said:

Took Leicester a week to sort out the work permit (Completed today) for their new Croatian striker.

Maybe sometimes its best to say "Guy Luzon will be the new head coach at Charlton Athletic subject to his work permit being granted". Then this sort of PR balls up would have been covered and the blame could have been passed onto to the Home Office re the delay.

Croatians do not need work permits - it's a registration system.
  • Swisdom said:

If this were a Premiership club it would have been sorted in hours but we are not big enough for the Home Office to sort their shit out

Pretty sure the paperwork would be handled by a couple of seasoned veterans at the club and by going on about this we could well be putting them out of a job

Not really. Leicester have had the same problem recently.
  • edited January 2015
    Luzon will still be in the stands at Vicarage Road tomorrow watching the players like a hawk.
  • I thought weeks like this only happened in Harchester or Warbury. Where's Eric Openshaw when you need him?
  • Rothko said:

LoOkOuT said:

Rothko said:

colthe3rd said:

Think we need a bit of perspective here. If it was a player we were trying to sign we'd all be seething at the home office.

But we're not because it doesn't suit the mob
    C'mon, this has been handled awfully right from the start. Own goal after own goal. Nothing to do with the mob.

The issues here can't be seen individually, it's the totality.
    No you're right
    I have no idea how that's even relevant. To me, the issue is that the Club officials have pushed this thing through in a ham-fisted manner. All kinds of back and forth on Peeters' status, and then Luzon is hired. In the fallout, KM says "trust us" and proceeds to tell us what we "need to accept". All the while, no one responsible for this hiring thought to temper discussions by what was legally possible about Luzon beginning his employ. In their rush to push Luzon into position, they didn't think to factor in his work permit and the time it will take to procure.

Sure... trust us.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

shirty5 said:

Took Leicester a week to sort out the work permit (Completed today) for their new Croatian striker.

Maybe sometimes its best to say "Guy Luzon will be the new head coach at Charlton Athletic subject to his work permit being granted". Then this sort of PR balls up would have been covered and the blame could have been passed onto to the Home Office re the delay.

Croatians do not need work permits - it's a registration system.
    good point, so based on this case, even one week looks dicey for a non EU work permit.

• bobmunro said:

Luzon will get a work permit for sure.

Will he? I suspect it would be easier for Guy if he applies for a Temporary Work Visa anyway - good for 12 months, he won't be here that long!

You’ll need a visa to work or do business or academic research in the UK
    The visa you apply for depends on your circumstances.

Skilled workers

A ‘skilled worker’ visa may be suitable if you’ve been offered a:

skilled job in the UK
    role in your overseas employer’s UK branch - the visa you apply for depends on your circumstances
    job in a religious community
    job as an elite sportsperson or coach

You can apply for a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa if all of the following apply:

you’re an elite sportsperson or qualified coach recognised by your sport’s governing body as internationally established at the highest level
    your sport’s governing body is endorsing your application
    your employment will develop your sport in the UK at the highest level
    you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
    you meet the other eligibility requirements

How long it takes
    You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
  • shirty5 said:

Exactly. I guess that kind of hard knowledge comes with experience!
  • He'll be in charge as much as he was going to be.
    Chances are Matthews would've chosen the team anyway
  • In reality this will make little difference to tomorrow. Luzon is unlikely to be able to make much difference to the way the team plays in the sort time he's been here anyway, and it's not as if the Home Office will have anyone in our dressing room tomorrow, ready to deport him if he dares to do a pre match team talk!

Perhaps we should do a Mourinho and smuggle him in and out, in a laundry basket :-)
  • as Homer would say "DOH !"
  • Sponsored links:

• let's get practical here
    Even without a permit I'm sure that Guy will discuss the team and tactics with Damien and they will decide the team, it will just be that Guy will have to,keep clear of the team at Vicerage Rd.
    However it is all a bit of a muckimg fuddle by the club where a lawyer is in charge
  • I thought agents in football do everything short of wiping the bottoms of their clients, Guy Luzon should sack his agent for letting this happen.
  • Still saves a week of his wages,every little and all that
  • Swisdom said:

@Rothko @Clem_Snide @Swisdom so what is the normal length of time to gain a work permit? You all appear to be well informed.

When you say that an FAPL club would have had this sorted out quickly, are you implying that money smoothes the path of a work permit? That's a pretty serious allegation, if so.

You are presumptuous about your fellow Lifers to assume that their reaction is part of a witch hunt against Katrien. Personally I would be surprised to learn that a work permit would normally be processed in less than a working week. Perhaps Katrien counted on that, but suddenly found she was in a situation where she had rather less than a week.

Steady on - I am absolutely not insinuating bribes take place - but players and coaches move around all the time and visa issues are as rare as a rocking horse poo.

Riga was straightforward, Peeters, Kiala, Meire numerous players. Why should this be so drastically different. But it is and it's being used as a stick to beat the club with again.
    All European citizens though.
    Reza
    Tal Ben Haim

• Below, some key points from @Oakster's useful post:

your employment will develop your sport in the UK at the highest level

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

On that basis I see no grounds for claiming the Home Office has fessed up.
  • Thought he worked in an offie when younger? Legally or Illegally?
    Reckon someone in the home office saw his celebration when Israel beat England.
    He's in the dudu, better call his agent.
  • Do UK coaches have to have a European Pro Licence? Does Guy Luzon have some kind of other licence, and that is throwing a spanner in the works?
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

@Rothko @Clem_Snide @Swisdom so what is the normal length of time to gain a work permit? You all appear to be well informed.

When you say that an FAPL club would have had this sorted out quickly, are you implying that money smoothes the path of a work permit? That's a pretty serious allegation, if so.

You are presumptuous about your fellow Lifers to assume that their reaction is part of a witch hunt against Katrien. Personally I would be surprised to learn that a work permit would normally be processed in less than a working week. Perhaps Katrien counted on that, but suddenly found she was in a situation where she had rather less than a week.

Steady on - I am absolutely not insinuating bribes take place - but players and coaches move around all the time and visa issues are as rare as a rocking horse poo.

Riga was straightforward, Peeters, Kiala, Meire numerous players. Why should this be so drastically different. But it is and it's being used as a stick to beat the club with again.
    All European citizens though.
    Reza
    Tal Ben Haim

Maybe it's because they came direct from Standard?

Luzon was asked to step down from Standard in October.
    He was retained but where has he been located?

• Guy mate if your reading this you need to go to Deptford High street---plenty of shops saying they are "immigration lawyers" there and you can have a wander round the market (Saturdays and Wednesdays)