Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Matthew and Roberts back in charge at Charlton as Luzon misses out on work permit

Comments

• It's always amazed me how quickly the Home Office do process work permits for sportspersons. If they had to put up with the bureaucratic nightmare they do over here then most of these players would be sitting on their arses for a few months after signing, so I really don't think they would be to blame.

Yes, it's the CAFC management and communication team that are at fault here for a misguided announcement of a misguided appointment..

• I am actually very disappointed that, given all our concerns and interrogation of the process, none of us on here thought about the work permit angle either!
  • Stig said:

Well I thought it was funny when I first read it, but the reaction on here is amazing. Lets blame the club... lets blame the Home Office... What an over-reaction.

The real story is, there's an amount of bureaucracy to get through when employing someone from overseas and it's taking a bit longer than anticipated. So what?

Exactly. People wetting their knickers over a bit of red tape.
  • I am actually very disappointed that, given all our concerns and interrogation of the process, none of us on here thought about the work permit angle either!

To be fair it was mentioned (on the main thread I think) a couple of days ago, I just don't think any of us thought we could be that incompetent to announce a manager who isn't legally entitled to manage us !
  • se9addick said:

colin1961 said:

Let's be honest he was not picking the team tomorrow anyway. He can still be there

"He can still be there" yeah, on a bloody tourist visa !
    To be fair, if this game was north of the Watford gap, we would all need one.
  • This is really embarrassing... I've realised in the past few weeks that we've gone backwards rather than forwards as a club in some respects since RD took over.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's always amazed me how quickly the Home Office do process work permits for sportspersons. If they had to put up with the bureaucratic nightmare they do over here then most of these players would be sitting on their arses for a few months after signing, so I really don't think they would be to blame.

Yes, it's the CAFC management and communication team that are at fault here for a misguided announcement of a misguided appointment..

I don't know about Thailand but my new visa it going to take about four months, the PSB not working for 5 days either side of the 10 day New Years holiday doesn't help either.

Maybe Luzon can do what I did and marry a local ;)
  • This would be funny if it was happening to another club.
  • Stig said:

Well I thought it was funny when I first read it, but the reaction on here is amazing. Lets blame the club... lets blame the Home Office... What an over-reaction.

The real story is, there's an amount of bureaucracy to get through when employing someone from overseas and it's taking a bit longer than anticipated. So what?

This
    Unbelievable reaction, happens with players all the time.
    Bandwagon,sheep spring too mind!
  • Please for gods sake don't turn this site into twatter
  • Right a few minor points that have just popped into my usually inactive brain.

RD inherited Powell and simply gave him Liege cast offs and an untried Polish striker, big Bob he chose. So he let him bring in Igor and JBG, players that all will admit have been decent (oh slightly better than the rest if you are a real pessimist).

So RD obviously really likes Luzon, so hopefully he will allow him to get in some more quality to halt our slide.

What worries me is if he doesn't get a work permit and we are forced to appoint a British coach (probably more qualified), will RD sulk and do nothing? I doubt it but he is stubborn.
  • edited January 2015
    Stig said:

But that isn't what the club have said. The sentence they used is that there are "issues with his UK work permit", that doesn't sound like the normal bureaucratic, red tape type stuff. Either way I don't think you can blame people for being a little surprised that we've offered someone a job who legally isn't entitled to work in this country.
  • Callumcafc said:
    Matt Wright ‏@mattjobob 1h1 hour ago
    People talk about 4 managers in 12 months, but 3 HR managers in 2 years can hardly help either. Especially when you need a work permit #cafc

Jimmy Stone ‏@JimmyStone_ 5m5 minutes ago
    Considering he's been twisting Roland's arm over the #cafc job for weeks I'm amazed Luzon's work permit hasn't been sorted yet #cafc

Jimmy Stone ‏@JimmyStone_ 3m3 minutes ago
    On the other hand at least two respected #cafc men are in charge tomorrow. Wish Ben, Damo and the lads all the best.

Very very telling. Especially from jimmy, who always sounds like an honest guy (strange you can get that just from a guys voice). Luzon sounds like a prick if that's true.

Indeed they are...... or are they disgruntled ex employees?.
    Having dealt with both of these people I would have to say that I only thought they were loyal to the club , and there fellow colleagues.
    Matt worked very long hours, I appreciated there help and assistance which was always very professionally executed.
  • Even if the Home Office have not sorted the work permit out should Guy Luzon have started work without a permit?
  • seth plum said:

Even if the Home Office have not sorted the work permit out should Guy Luzon have started work without a permit?

That's a good point, if average joe was found to be working in this country without the correct visa they would be deported and more than likely struggle to re gain entry.
  • Sponsored links:

• colin1961 said:

Am hearing words like "embarrassing" because the Home Office have not sorted his work permit out....
    Charlton have done their bit last week , problem is we are Charlton , can you imagine Man U , Chelsea having to wait for their manager to get clearance no......once again if your not in the perm then no one wants to know

Your right col but sod that, I don't want no keegan perm
  • seth plum said:

Even if the Home Office have not sorted the work permit out should Guy Luzon have started work without a permit?

Excellent point.
  • seth plum said:

Don't think so. Shall we start a campaign to get him deported?
  • Now we know why he turned up with just one small suitcase - so he could breeze through passport control...
  • seth plum said:

Don't think so. Shall we start a campaign to get him deported?
    Judging by the Boarder Force fly on the wall series the club get fined for employing an illegal, and the worker has to start the application process again, where past behaviour influences whether a work permit is eventually granted.
  • there was no mention of this on BBC Radio5 as at 9pm last night: 'Guy Luzon takes charge of Charlton for the first time at Watford' said Clem
  • colin1961 said:

Am hearing words like "embarrassing" because the Home Office have not sorted his work permit out....
    Charlton have done their bit last week , problem is we are Charlton , can you imagine Man U , Chelsea having to wait for their manager to get clearance no......once again if your not in the perm then no one wants to know

I imagine Utd and Chelsea have got the staff expertise to avoid cock-ups like this.