Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

**Luzon Confirmed Charlton Head Coach - Deal to 2016 - Praise the Lord, Work Permit GRANTED (pg 24)*

Comments

• Joining this thread late....is there actually a chance they'll reverse the appointment?
  • How I see it, if this doesn't happen, it will only be down to the players not wanting him here. It won't be due to WP issues and Roland is certainly not going to change his mind based of the opinion of us supporters............
  • Whatever happens with Luzon, the chances of Curbs and Sherwood (or anyone else outside the network for that matter) coming in are nil. They will want some level of control and, unless he fancies a major change of principles, our man Roland won't want to give that away. He's proven that with his treatment of Powell and Riga.

Although I can't see the above names ever getting near the hot seat, the only time RD may potentially get someone else in with a bit more clout will be in a couple of months when we have another relegation battle on our hands and he's desperate.
  • edited January 2015

How I see it, if this doesn't happen, it will only be down to the players not wanting him here. It won't be due to WP issues and Roland is certainly not going to change his mind based of the opinion of us supporters............

Not so sure about that. RD seems like the kind of bloke that wants things done his way. So far, he's not not shown many signs of being a listener. I really do hope I'm wrong, but I don't imagine him having much truck with player-power no matter how bad things got. I think the Home Office is our best chance, and that's only slim.
  • It does look that way vff, sadly.
  • No work permit could be a face saver.
  • Work permit will be granted today according to the SLP.

• http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/searchresult.cfm?cat=Sport&sportdetail=Charlton

"It is expected that a work permit for the Israeli head coach will be sorted by the back end of the week so that he can take charge of the game at Wolves on Saturday."
  • Sponsored links:

• vff said:

HandG said:

Whatever happens with Luzon, the chances of Curbs and Sherwood (or anyone else outside the network for that matter) coming in are nil. They will want some level of control and, unless he fancies a major change of principles, our man Roland won't want to give that away. He's proven that with his treatment of Powell and Riga.

Although I can't see the above names ever getting near the hot seat, the only time RD may potentially get someone else in with a bit more clout will be in a couple of months when we have another relegation battle on our hands and he's desperate.

From the way, Duchatelet is going about business, I don't think he really bothered as a Charlton as a viable Championship outfit. If Charlton have seasons as a Championship club, that is probably seen as a bonus. It takes too much investment to establish Charlton in the higher level of the Championship.

I think he has a plan B for Charlton as a League One outfit. Duchatelet can still develop the academy and League One is a more natural fit for all the network players not good for Liege and a better step up in level from his other network clubs. The Championship is a tough league and needs a strong team spirit, that needs a high level of investment, a strong manager / head coach with autonomy (who is able to speak up and be listened to) and the loose arrangements of fitting in players from the network does not foster that. The current Duchatelet model is the opposite of what's needed. It may be possible to get away with that set up in League One.
    So how comes it works at Watford?
  • 'The first signing made since Guy Luzon was named as Bob Peeters' successor. '

Made since, not by.

• http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/searchresult.cfm?cat=Sport&sportdetail=Charlton

"It is expected that a work permit for the Israeli head coach will be sorted by the back end of the week so that he can take charge of the game at Wolves on Saturday."

Love that: 'it is expected'.

Dear God tho', we get Guy Luzon.
    He has to win. Hope he does, will encourage it thoroughly, but Dear God tho, Guy Luzon. Watford was his honeymoon period, we need 16 Wins starting Saturday.
    Dear God tho, Guy Luzon.
    Please make me wrong about him. Please make me wrong in thinking Luzon will make Dowie look like Wenger and Pardew look like Mourinho. Dear God tho, Guy Luzon.
  • 16 wins?? Put the crack pipe down man.
  • edited January 2015

vff said:

HandG said:

Whatever happens with Luzon, the chances of Curbs and Sherwood (or anyone else outside the network for that matter) coming in are nil. They will want some level of control and, unless he fancies a major change of principles, our man Roland won't want to give that away. He's proven that with his treatment of Powell and Riga.

From the way, Duchatelet is going about business, I don't think he really bothered as a Charlton as a viable Championship outfit. If Charlton have seasons as a Championship club, that is probably seen as a bonus. It takes too much investment to establish Charlton in the higher level of the Championship.

I think he has a plan B for Charlton as a League One outfit. Duchatelet can still develop the academy and League One is a more natural fit for all the network players not good for Liege and a better step up in level from his other network clubs. The Championship is a tough league and needs a strong team spirit, that needs a high level of investment, a strong manager / head coach with autonomy (who is able to speak up and be listened to) and the loose arrangements of fitting in players from the network does not foster that. The current Duchatelet model is the opposite of what's needed. It may be possible to get away with that set up in League One.
    So how comes it works at Watford?
    Good question.

From what I see of the Pozzo family yand the way he delegates the running of both Watford and Grenada there seems to be an acceptance that you need local expertise as well.

I'd also imagine Pozzo Snr loses a lot per year at Udinese if you take player trading out. The thing that saves them is their profit on players like Benatia and Sanchez

Pozzo clearly has great scouts in South America.

Good article on Swiss ramble if you want to look at in more detail.

Summary....Pozzo knows what his model does well and drafts in talent to fill the gaps. Roland doesn't think he has any gaps
  • Seems he has been managing teams since the age of 25. Quite a lot of experience including bringing on young players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Crusty54 said:

Seems he has been managing teams since the age of 25. Quite a lot of experience including bringing on young players.

So did Bob apparently. If appointing Luzon means Roland might actually invest in good, quality, non-network players then I'm all for it, if not, then I really don't see the point of him.
  • I do love Seth Plum's flint-eyed satire at these times :D
  • Crusty54 said:

Seems he has been managing teams since the age of 25. Quite a lot of experience including bringing on young players.

Luzon? Managed his family's side then head of Israel FA, his uncle got him job with national U21s.

• Crusty54 said:

Luzon? Managed his family's side then head of Israel FA, his uncle got him job with national U21s.

Yep and Dudu got him the next two jobs, who is more than an agent to both Luzon and RD.

• Crusty54 said:

Crusty54 said:

Yep and Dudu got him the next two jobs, who is more than an agent to both Luzon and RD.

can i just add that he was a terrible player as well :)

He has managed one serious team. Hapoel are big boys in Israel. 22 games he lasted.
  • Have just seen him up Bexleyheath Broadway and he looked totally hacked off. So clearly no work permit yet. Was probably heading up the Furze Wren then off for a Nando's.
  • Crusty54 said:

Crusty54 said:

He has managed one serious team. Hapoel are big boys in Israel. 22 games he lasted.

Standard Liege are a pretty serious team and he did quite well until RD sold anyone who could kick a ball.
  • Crusty54 said:

Crusty54 said:

Standard Liege are a pretty serious team and he did quite well until RD sold anyone who could kick a ball.
    This thread just gets more depressing by the post.....................
  • Crusty54 said:

Crusty54 said:

ask the Stadard Liege supporters of their views on him as manager........
  • Crusty54 said:

Crusty54 said:

sorry, I meant in Israel....so i discounted SL. Indeed they are a serious team.

Anyways...I have criticised GL enough now on here, its getting boring so I shall wrap it up. Cant do nothing now but get behind him I guess. Lets see how the squad reacts