Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

**Luzon Confirmed Charlton Head Coach - Deal to 2016 - Praise the Lord, Work Permit GRANTED (pg 24)*

Comments

• edited January 2015

So what we really signed was a bunch of reserves from a Championship standard team and after an initial, and slightly fortuitous, purple patch that is exactly what they are playing like.

Except Liege were top of their league throughout last season weren't they so this logic is flawed. And Buyens, Bulot and Ben Haim weren't reserves... They played a fair few games. You're confusing them with Ajdarevic etc.
    I've seen our team plenty of times this season and we went 12(?) games unbeaten.
    What is blindingly obvious in retrospect is that we should have got a decent reserve keeper in and M.Duchatelet should have kept spending on loans to keep momentum going.

And not just retrospect because I was there at Reading, Millwall, Blackpool when it was clear something wasn't right.

What we have right now is a complete train smash with Peeters gone, rumours coming out about the training ground and delays with new coach and signings.

And a club which refuses to engage with the fans, except by accident on the train.

Wolves is not going to be pretty but there is time to sort it out for Rotherham. Whether they door not remains to be seen.
    Oh, come on, be serious, err. . . Seriously. That was when you were telling us we were nailed on to be in play-off contention during the transfer window because they was what the stats said!
    That's the second time you've misquoted me on this!
    What I actually did was amplify the quotes from Meire and Peeters from throughout October and November that "if we were in a similar position [7th at the time] we will acquire one or two quality players this window."

We were 7th or 8th after Reading and haven't won since. At no time have I predicted we would make the play-offs.. The "stats" said nothing of the sort and if you are referring to www.sportsclubstats.com then I recall that site gave us a 15% chance of being in the play-offs after we beat Reading.

The facts are that we started well and that the only loan player acquired after August was Coquelin who could play a bit. Man of the match vs Millwall and a decent game for Arsenal at the weekend.

When we drew with Blackpool it became obvious that we weren't going anywhere near the play offs. And now we are in a completely different place.

The wheels are falling off which no one could have predicted, and certainly not this quickly. What matters now is whether the cash is there to patch things up.
  • So what we really signed was a bunch of reserves from a Championship standard team and after an initial, and slightly fortuitous, purple patch that is exactly what they are playing like.

Except Liege were top of their league throughout last season weren't they so this logic is flawed. And Buyens, Bulot and Ben Haim weren't reserves... They played a fair few games. You're confusing them with Ajdarevic etc.
    I've seen our team plenty of times this season and we went 12(?) games unbeaten.
    What is blindingly obvious in retrospect is that we should have got a decent reserve keeper in and M.Duchatelet should have kept spending on loans to keep momentum going.

And not just retrospect because I was there at Reading, Millwall, Blackpool when it was clear something wasn't right.

What we have right now is a complete train smash with Peeters gone, rumours coming out about the training ground and delays with new coach and signings.

And a club which refuses to engage with the fans, except by accident on the train.

Wolves is not going to be pretty but there is time to sort it out for Rotherham. Whether they door not remains to be seen.
    Oh, come on, be serious, err. . . Seriously. That was when you were telling us we were nailed on to be in play-off contention during the transfer window because they was what the stats said!
    What I actually did was amplify the quotes from Meire and Peeters from throughout October and Novembe that "if we were in a similar position [7th at the time] We will acquire one or two quality players this window."

We were 7th or 8th after Reading and haven't won since. At no time have I predicted we would make the play-offs.. The "stats" said nothing of the sort and if you are referring to www.sportsclubstats.com then I recall that site gave us a 15% chance of being in the play-offs after we beat Reading.

The facts are that we started well and that the only loan player acquired after August was Coquelin who could play a bit. Man of the match vs Millwall and a decent game for Arsenal at the weekend.

When we drew with Blackpool it became obvious that we weren't going anywhere near the play offs. And now we are in a completely different place.

The wheels are falling off which no one could have predicted, and certainly not this quickly. What matters now is whether the cash is there to patch things up.
    I'm pulling your leg rather than looking for a row, but I do seem to recall you saying that based on our points tally at the time there was no way we would not be in range of the play-off positions during the window, i.e. we only needed x points from y games to have z at the turn of the year, hence the conditional investment in the squad would happen.
  • edited January 2015

cafcfan said:

The issue for me s less to do with the costs possibly not being shown in the right place than the fact that CAFC pick up the bill for mistakes made at Standard Liege. So if George Tucudean, for example, is on £400k a year at Liege but is no use to them that cost is transferred to us, whereas an independent CAFC would never spend that money on him.

The question then is whether that £400k is over and above the previous budget or comes out of it, thereby reducing the club's options, because Standard Liege messed up. If George turns out to be worth £400k no problem, but the chances of successful recruitment from a much smaller talent pool are obviously limited.

Ditto head coaches.

On the (possible) plus side, if the stories regarding Bob & Co are right, there is a chance they were sacked for gross misconduct and the Club are not having to pay up their contracts freeing up some funds.
    That requires the club to run a process, which could not reasonably be held and completed on one Sunday afternoon - you can't just decide to dismiss someone for gross misconduct and announce it to the world. I know about these things! :-)

In any event, something tells me RD will want Bob and co on the payroll until the summer to keep them quiet.
    Not sure about your last point - have you seen his reported comments on the 'Peeters Speaks Out' thread - assuming that the provided translation is accurate?

• micks1950 said:

cafcfan said:

The issue for me s less to do with the costs possibly not being shown in the right place than the fact that CAFC pick up the bill for mistakes made at Standard Liege. So if George Tucudean, for example, is on £400k a year at Liege but is no use to them that cost is transferred to us, whereas an independent CAFC would never spend that money on him.

The question then is whether that £400k is over and above the previous budget or comes out of it, thereby reducing the club's options, because Standard Liege messed up. If George turns out to be worth £400k no problem, but the chances of successful recruitment from a much smaller talent pool are obviously limited.

Ditto head coaches.

On the (possible) plus side, if the stories regarding Bob & Co are right, there is a chance they were sacked for gross misconduct and the Club are not having to pay up their contracts freeing up some funds.
    That requires the club to run a process, which could not reasonably be held and completed on one Sunday afternoon - you can't just decide to dismiss someone for gross misconduct and announce it to the world. I know about these things! :-)

In any event, something tells me RD will want Bob and co on the payroll until the summer to keep them quiet.
    Not sure about your last point - have you seen his reported comments on the 'Peeters Speaks Out' thread - assuming that the provided translation is accurate?

Noted. Thanks.
  • So what we really signed was a bunch of reserves from a Championship standard team and after an initial, and slightly fortuitous, purple patch that is exactly what they are playing like.

What I actually did was amplify the quotes from Meire and Peeters from throughout October and Novembe that "if we were in a similar position [7th at the time] We will acquire one or two quality players this window."

I'm pulling your leg rather than looking for a row, but I do seem to recall you saying that based on our points tally at the time there was no way we would not be in range of the play-off positions during the window, i.e. we only needed x points from y games to have z at the turn of the year, hence the conditional investment in the squad would happen.
    OK ok. A tad sensitive perhaps but I was seriously pissed off after the Blackpool game. Yes, I did state that 36 or 37 points at the halfway mark was probably enough to then "oblige" the owner to make the investment.

But Peeters failed, the club failed and the tension built to achieve that goal is unwinding like a coiled spring.

I really hope that Luzon can do a job and gets the resources to deliver - we will see for ourselves vs Rotherham but this second year of Staprix ownership is going a very different way to that which was expected.

• What I actually did was amplify the quotes from Meire and Peeters from throughout October and November that "if we were in a similar position [7th at the time] we will acquire one or two quality players this window."

That was your first mistake.

And, with regard to "the wheels are falling off, which no one could have predicted", lots of us have predicted that, despite a good start, this was going to end in tears, or, for another variation, be a "bumpy road".

You just can't see past fawning of Roland "The Genius" Rat.
  • So is he working or not? I've just looked on the Official website and no mention! Has anyone seen him at the training ground? Surely we should have been given an update on his work permit or whatever credentials he needs to work?
    I am not really bothered whether he is our new coach/manager, mini me but the longer this goes on (us without a leader) the worse the whole sorry situation will get.
  • Sponsored links:

• So the weekend to pop home and get any paperwork missed or re-correct any errors on application. Eight hour shift at Home Office but still no announcement. Cut & dry?
  • So the weekend to pop home and get any paperwork missed or re-correct any errors on application. Eight hour shift at Home Office but still no announcement. Cut & dry?

Short back & sides ?

• Finding it a bit odd that the club has gone silent on all things Luzon. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he doesn't end up taking over for whatever reason. Not a single quote from anyone on our new signing today. Curbs as DoF with Sherwood as Head Coach maybe?
  • If Luzon does not take over(which I think he will), it would add more strength to the story of players being a tad unhappy about the appointment.
  • It would. It's just wishful thinking on my part I think but weird that we're almost halfway through the week and have no idea who's in charge for Saturday.
  • Leuth said:

Can we seriously all shut up about Sherwood please, the man is terrible

I wasn't promoting Sherwood at all but that seems like a fairly plausible scenario if Luzon wasn't appointed. He was the early favourite and has been spotted at The Valley recently.
  • I kind of hope Luzon takes over, not because I know if he'll be any good, mainly because it will contribute to the impression that we are an absolute shambles of a football club if we have to reverse a managerial appointment because the guy we tried to hire was so bad they won't even let him coach in this country.
  • I'm almost past caring about what goes on in 90 minutes on a Saturday afternoon.

Now it is all about the nonsense that is happening off it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm almost past caring about what goes on in 90 minutes on a Saturday afternoon.

Now it is all about the nonsense that is happening off it.

I'm currently between meh and pah
  • If Luzon does not take over(which I think he will), it would add more strength to the story of players being a tad unhappy about the appointment.

They think he is a nutcase.
  • I think it has all gone quiet on Luzon because the club cannot intimate in any way that his employment has commenced in advance of a work permit being granted. I fully expect the permit to be granted and then we'll hear more.
  • Leuth said:

Really? left with the squad AVB had and had a 50% win rate
    I think he was decent at spurs and was surprised when he was sacked
  • Sherwood - please no. I know of him as he used to go out with a friend of a friend. Tim nice but dim was as good a description as I got..
  • Leuth said:

Really? left with the squad AVB had and had a 50% win rate
    I think he was decent at spurs and was surprised when he was sacked
    Yeah, alright Tim
  • It's all a bit confusing in my opinion. I'm pretty sure in the past that when Clubs are trying to sign players from non EU countries they have to be out of the country whilst their work permit application is being processed. I remember once on deadline day when Stoke were trying to sign someone he had to fly back out of the UK whilst it was being ratified by the FA. If so then Luzon would have had little input this week so can't see him in charge at Wolves personally.
  • Someone on fb claiming curbs was at the valley today. The powers that be cant be that thick that there could be world war 3 in se7 soon curbs in some kind of role to appease us... Love a rumour...
  • Davo55 said:

New song anyone.....?

She met him on a Monday and her heart stood still
    Da do Guy-Luz-on, da Guy Luz-on
    Somebody told her that he was better than Jewell
    Da do Guy-Luz-on, da Guy Luz-on

(with apologies to The Crystals for associating their timeless classic to the CAFC farce)

ha ha very good ;-)
  • se9addick said:

because the guy we tried to hire was so bad they won't even let him coach in this country.

If he doesn't take over, it really won't be down to work permit issues......