Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

****Charlton terminate contract of Head Coach Bob Peeters****

Comments

• It's the correct decision IMO.
  • so was it RD saying " if we dont win on Saturday Bob and his boys are sacked" or did Kat get a phone call (or rung RD on Sunday ?

Bikey said there have been arguments
    Jackson and Buyens have been seen to have had words with Big Bob
    Wilson and Godmenson dont look interested
    Also herd some of the training is seen as baffling
  • It's definitely the correct decision to get rid of Bob. It's what happens next that worries me. I have no doubt Duchatelet waited until we
    don't have a home game for a few weeks before making this decision. That way, he hopes the fans will have calmed down by the time of our next home game, so no protest etc and the new man may even have got a result or two by then. It'll be someone else who isn't good enough recycled from the network or some shit club in Belgium. It's times like this that Richard Murray has to step up and advise Roland that may not be the right path for Charlton. He's the only one who can it seems. Not entirely sure what Katiren actually does.
  • What a stupid decision......another Standard Liege Manager on way...3 months he will be out
  • edited January 2015
    I can tell you what happens next - Luzon manager by end of the day - appoints TBH as club captain - Watt will finish as top scorer - two midfield replacements will arrive by the end of the week with Buyens going back to Standard.
  • Thing is, a managerial change normally brings excitement.

We know however there is a good chance it will be this Luzon flop, inexperienced Freye, or some other Belgium or network related non-entity. Riga maybe, but his chance to build on his momentum was six months ago.

Can understand why so many are becoming a bit exhausted with this club. It's not just losing games, it's losing it's soul and it's losing it's character.

Luzon flop? Really?

He took Standard Liege to the top of the Jupiler League this time last year. With Buyens, Bulot and Ben Haim in the team.
    Think they made around 90 appearances between them. If you consider Liege played Anderlect, Bruges and Hanover four times each that's not an easy ride.

Sure they didn't win their play-offs but Anderlect, Bruges and others would be top end Championship or bottom of the Premier League. They did go on to beat Panathanaikos and that's when M.Duchatelet started breaking up the squad, selling five players for c. €25m

Tony Watt spoke well of him and he appeared to fail because he couldn't rebuild the squad quickly enough after those five players were sold last summer. The Liege supporters went nuts as they sank to 10th so Luzon fell on his sword.

I would hazard a guess that the sale of players last summer covered the losses of all network clubs combined and probably some of the acquisition costs for us, Alcorcun etc. to build this network.

The very least we can do is learn from last March and not rush to judgement... Let's see how we perform next week and at home to Rotherham before taking a view on whoever becomes head coach.

If it all fails then M.Duchatelet will lose an awful lot of credibility. Therefore he's more likely to get out his cheque book and strengthen the squad. If it is Luzon who takes over I would venture that he has had three months since he left Liege to analyse our squad and our division to see how to play things and what the gaps are. Much the same as Karel Fraeye was on the Staprix books well before he appeared as number two to Riga.

Once again M.Duchatelet is showing the precision of an assassin. Unnerving yes. But let's see performances and how the team and table looks in a month. To criticise one coaching appointment prematurely is unfortunate, to criticise two would be sheer carelessness!
    And so he should, they are one of the top three clubs in that league. What's he done with our club of our size before?
  • Sponsored links:

• So Luzon was good enough to get Liege second when they had the best players in the league, but when he didn't they were down in 10th.

Good job we've got the best players in the Championship then!
  • Bob Bob Bobbing along.
  • Thing is, a managerial change normally brings excitement.

We know however there is a good chance it will be this Luzon flop, inexperienced Freye, or some other Belgium or network related non-entity. Riga maybe, but his chance to build on his momentum was six months ago.

Can understand why so many are becoming a bit exhausted with this club. It's not just losing games, it's losing it's soul and it's losing it's character.

Luzon flop? Really?

He took Standard Liege to the top of the Jupiler League this time last year. With Buyens, Bulot and Ben Haim in the team. Think they made around 90 appearances between them. If you consider Liege played Anderlect, Bruges and Hanover four times each that's not an easy ride.

Sure they didn't win their play-offs but Anderlect, Bruges and others would be top end Championship or bottom of the Premier League. They did go on to beat Panathanaikos and that's when M.Duchatelet started breaking up the squad, selling five players for c. €25m

Tony Watt spoke well of him and he appeared to fail because he couldn't rebuild the squad quickly enough after those five players were sold last summer. The Liege supporters went nuts as they sank to 10th so Luzon fell on his sword.

I would hazard a guess that the sale of players last summer covered the losses of all network clubs combined and probably some of the acquisition costs for us, Alcorcun etc. to build this network.

The very least we can do is learn from last March and not rush to judgement... Let's see how we perform next week and at home to Rotherham before taking a view on whoever becomes head coach.

If it all fails then M.Duchatelet will lose an awful lot of credibility. Therefore he's more likely to get out his cheque book and strengthen the squad. If it is Luzon who takes over I would venture that he has had three months since he left Liege to analyse our squad and our division to see how to play things and what the gaps are. Much the same as Karel Fraeye was on the Staprix books well before he appeared as number two to Riga.

Once again M.Duchatelet is showing the precision of an assassin. Unnerving yes. But let's see performances and how the team and table looks in a month. To criticise one coaching appointment prematurely is unfortunate, to criticise two would be sheer carelessness!
    Correct Luzon is no flop. RD was brave to hire him - he was derided in the press and by the fans but it worked out over there.

Luzon is a company man was more that likely told to take a few months off and come back refreshed...somewhere. There will always be a sacking in the offing within the network.

Maybe Luzon will be a decent hire. The way we are set up as a business within a group we will benefit from having someone who understands the way it works and what to expect and the fact he has had success within that environment is a massively positive thing in my view.

• I wonder who will be this first Lifer to post ****** Luzon appointed as manager*******
    Will Bet fred take that on??
  • edited January 2015
    Southbank said:

The precision of an assassin? More like the floundering of a man who has lost the plot. He landed a load of useless players on Powell in January and then fired him, for not playing them. He then appointed Riga, who kept us up by also not playing those useless players but getting the best out of Powell's previous squad. He then fired Riga replacing him with a yes man in Peeters and broke up Powell's squad, leaving Peeters short of numbers and experience and, crucially, a decent centre forward.
    He has now fired Peeters for failing to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. RD's method of operation should be clear to us by now. His football business plan is flawed and he blames his staff when it goes wrong, both cowardly and stupid.

Very good. Sums up perfectly in a few lines the mess we now find ourselves in because of Duchalet.

Please save your post somewhere and post it again every time someone comes on here and says what a great job Duchalet is doing and how much better things now are under him.
  • Southbank said:

The precision of an assassin? More like the floundering of a man who has lost the plot. He landed a load of useless players on Powell in January and then fired him, for not playing them. He then appointed Riga, who kept us up by also not playing those useless players but getting the best out of Powell's previous squad. He then fired Riga replacing him with a yes man in Peeters and broke up Powell's squad, leaving Peeters short of numbers and experience and, crucially, a decent centre forward.
    He has now fired Peeters for failing to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. RD's method of operation should be clear to us by now. His football business plan is flawed and he blames his staff when it goes wrong, both cowardly and stupid.

Not keeping Riga on was to me an odd and incorrect decision, but when you look at how the likes of Wilson, Jackson and Harriott have played this season when compared to last season, and consider some of the decent signings (Igor, JBG, TBH, Bikey, Henderson) I don't think we have a sow's ear of a squad. Yes it's not perfect, yes we need reinforcements, but 4 points in 8 games doesn't reflect its capabilities.
  • I can tell you what happens next - Luzon manager by end of the day - appoints TBH as club captain - Watt will finish as top scorer - two midfield replacements will arrive by the end of the week with Buyens going back to Standard.

And with TBH as captain, they sell JJ to Huddersfield Town and he then comes back with Chris Powell at the end of February and bangs three in the back of the net to prove his point.
  • not really surprised, the attitude of the players on Saturday gave a clue to some disharmony.However the boss now has a chance to make a really significant appointment, not just another one of his stable. It would be really nice to see an English manager with good knowledge of the lower leagues,but I bet we don't get one.
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:

As usual the same old overreactions from us fans. "Club no longer recognisable", "Never going again" etc. Personally I'm a little disappointed that he is gone, I think he's a decent manager but if reports are true that he has lost the dressing room then a change needed to be made. It is a big if though, there have been similar rumours in the past about other people involved in the club that have just been made up to suit an agenda. I doubt we'll hear the full story but I do get the feeling it was more than performance based.

There was a post that mentions the last x number of teams getting promoted all had British managers. Not sure it's really relevant tbh and is slightly misleading. It also ignores how many of the relegated teams had British managers. The truth is that the majority of teams in the FL have British managers so you are going to have more teams getting promoted with a British manager, it doesn't necessarily mean a team is promoted because of a British manager. I don't care where the next manager comes from, if he is a good coach and can employ the right tactics then I'm all for it.

RD clearly rubs people up the wrong way, I get that but let's face it. The situation we find ourselves in now is light years ahead of where the club was 18-24 months ago.

As a person, RD seems cold to the point of sociopathy, on current evidence every decision is purely and entirely financially motivated, and frankly I don't think he will ever be as popular on a personal level as Murray is/was regardless of sums invested/club success under his tenure. On the other hand, he got it right when he appointed Riga, he may be right again. People are going to get very irritated when managers get the heave-ho but RD won't care, and if by appointing an unpopular but successful manager/coach/stooge who gets us promoted/raises the profile (and value) of the club he makes money he'll see that as a success, and would he be entirely wrong to do so?
  • Redrobo said:

Agree with you entirely, KLAddick. There is a litany of imposed failures: Thuram, Koc, Nego, Polish Pete, Reza, et al. Seriously good managers refuse to be mere coaches, their players bought and sold by the club owner. Duchatelet is aged 77.

One does have to give RD some credit for recognising his mistakes (Kermit, not listening to SCP on quality of players req, and now the appt of Bob), and then doing something to try and improve the situation.

Did he?! He certainly hasn't acknowledged any of those mistakes, he replaced Riga and now peeters so he clearly hasn't recognised the fault is in the inadequate playing squad more than any coach, and we have still seen several network misfits signed this season who have on the whole not been of a suitable standard -

bulot, tucudean- not good enough
    Buyens- mediocre and no improvement on previous / existing
    Keeper / watt - unknown
    Ben haim - satisfactory

Buyens-good!
    Ben Haim-outstanding! :-)
  • Has anyone enjoyed the football lately? We haven't won since the start of November and some team and individual performances have been appalling.Players can't perform the basic skills,played out of position(with the exception of Saturday which he may have known was his last throw of the dice),no visible team-spirit(contrast with CP's squads),comments of "It's football,you can't do anything about it" which presumably means he didn't know what to do next,appeared to have lost the trust of the players,just sliding down the league as he did with his last club.What do we really expect?
  • Too many times this season I have left thinking "how have we lost/drawn that".

Sad for Peeters as he's not had time/money to build a squad.

But i think he was very much out of his depth in this league. Tactics and performances have got worse as the season has gone on.

Trying to turn Harriott into a striker has not worked.
  • I wonder who will be this first Lifer to post ****** Luzon appointed as manager*******
    Will Bet fred take that on??

Paulie 1/4
  • Do you know Guy Luzon, Charlton's friends?

— Roland Duchatelet (@R_Duchatelet) January 12, 2015
  • is that actually his account though
  • Yeah it is. That's a weird tweet, unless it got lost in translation somewhere
  • Yeah it is. That's a weird tweet, unless it got lost in translation somewhere

It's not his account