Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

****Charlton terminate contract of Head Coach Bob Peeters****

Comments

• Who would have thought that Holloway would out last BP? I'm shocked.
  • WSS said:
    Bear with me. I use to be married to John's wife's cousin, we use to visit them when they lived in a tiny terrace house in Plumstead, I know how much John loves Charlton, consequently, this statement, for me at least, is very worrying.
  • WSS said:
    good pal of Curbishley , so looks like he is out of the race to the hot seat
  • WSS said:
    Bear with me. I use to be married to John's wife's cousin, we use to visit them when they lived in a tiny terrace house in Plumstead, I know how much John loves Charlton, consequently, this statement, for me at least, is very worrying.
    Oh perleeeese. You either support Charlton or you don't. Managers,owners, and players come and go. Supporters are for life. Whoever gets the gig I will support the shirt.

I'm not doubting that John would stop supporting Charlton but he would definitely have more of an insight into the workings of the club, more than most of us anyway. He will always be a supporter.
  • edited January 2015
    All well and good withdrawing your support on what the face of it looks like unpopular decision, but if, as rumoured, that it may be with the consent of quite a few of the players, then it could be the correct one.
  • Trouble is season ticket / match day ticket / sponsorship money all this form a massive part of FFP now... the more income you can generate the more we'd be allowed to spend in the transfer market (i.e. allowing us to bring in more players like Vetokele who was around £2.5m), if people refuse to start going because Roland isn't investing on the squad its going to be made harder for the team to improve in the long run.

Roland could sell up but we cant do a Chelsea or Manchester City now and get a rich Russian in charge because if we try spending big then we'll be fined like hell... Of course with Manchester City, had their rich owners waited a few years wouldnt have been allowed to have built such a strong team on this ruling, them and PSG just managed to jump into the big spenders at the last minute
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2015

All well and good withdrawing your support on what the face of it looks like unpopular decision, but if, as rumoured, that it may be with the consent of quite a few of the players, then it could be the correct one.

Agreed, My issue is wider than that and is more to do with the running of the club and the "Bumpy Ride".

I generally dont think Roland has a clue how to run a successful football club and worry we will see a succession of yes men who will not be the right fit.
  • Its what leaks out in the coming days from the playing staff that will be interesting, was it as bad as rumoured, did they lose faith, who went directly to Roland and Katrien
  • Redrobo said:

Agree with you entirely, KLAddick. There is a litany of imposed failures: Thuram, Koc, Nego, Polish Pete, Reza, et al. Seriously good managers refuse to be mere coaches, their players bought and sold by the club owner. Duchatelet is aged 77.

One does have to give RD some credit for recognising his mistakes (Kermit, not listening to SCP on quality of players req, and now the appt of Bob), and then doing something to try and improve the situation.

Did he?! He certainly hasn't acknowledged any of those mistakes, he replaced Riga and now peeters so he clearly hasn't recognised the fault is in the inadequate playing squad more than any coach, and we have still seen several network misfits signed this season who have on the whole not been of a suitable standard -

bulot, tucudean- not good enough
    Buyens- mediocre and no improvement on previous / existing
    Keeper / watt - unknown
    Ben haim - satisfactory
  • Can anyone explain who actually does the sacking? Is it Roland, or Katrien as she ust surely have a say?
    As far as I am aware RD does not appear at The Valley very often whereas Katrien is 'in residence' an appears at ost home matches - I even got a smile from her on Saturday - well it was before the kick off!
    Unfortunately Bob has gone (to my regret personally) but he is hardly responsible for Chris Solly's screamer hitting the bar or some of the abysmal finishing and rubbish refereeing decisions (two of which resulted in Brighton's goal, which in itself was pathetic) Life goes on.
  • PL54 said:

There is no reference to any of this in The Metro this morning so it must all be a wind up.

Bob's sacking was reported in my Metro

• WSS said:
    Oh perleeeese. You either support Charlton or you don't. Managers,owners, and players come and go. Supporters are for life. Whoever gets the gig I will support the shirt.

this definately

• Re my previous please insert an 'm' in lines 1 and 2 - sticking key!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2015
    RD is narrowly focussed on all things rational and mathematical. He doesn't understand football other than to realise it's a crazy business model. He is right in so many respects but for his ideas to flourish he needs the other owners around him to adopt the sme economic policies. I think that is what he expected would happen but FFP has blown his plan out of the windows and he is currently up the proverbial. He doesn't understand football, and he shows few, if any, signs of a willingness to listen and learn. That is not his personality but it is, sadly, our problem.

• dizzee said:

Well hope those who moan and groan are happy now! Thanks Bob for all you hage done.

Seriously, what has he done that will be remembered in a years time?
    He kept us up in a season that really could have been a huge struggle for us.

The club was a shambles last summer, he came in and has managed to accumulate enough points to put us in a strong position for survival.

So I thank you Big Bob, and good luck in the future.
    What?

Based on what I have seen in the last 4 or 5 home games, if BP had stayed we would be looking at league 1 football next year. We might still be, depending on who comes in.

I wish BP well as an individual but to seriously say his reign here as a manager is anything people will look back on in years to come as anything special surprises me.
  • Rothko said:

you now realise how much Jimenez and Slater got away with, by using Powell as a human shield

At least they had the sense to do that...

• edited January 2015
    MrLargo said:

WSS said:

I would say that canceling sponsorship and therefore denying funds to someone who clearly doesn't have the clubs's interests at heart IS an act of support. Certainly more so than just turning up every week and blindly clapping whichever network rejects happen to be wearing the shirt this weekend.
    Yep. Denying the clubyou love money? Will certainly help.

• The disappointing thing here is not the loss of Bob but the fact that RD clearly thinks a far better job is achievable with what he has already provided. It hints at his delusion of what constitutes a competitive championship squad. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong over the next 18 days and bring in some desperately needed bodies, but I'm getting a bit worried that this is us now until next summer...

The thought of playing Scunthorpe and Crawley fills me with a mixture of dread and boredom
  • Addicted said:

The disappointing thing here is not the loss of Bob but the fact that RD clearly thinks a far better job is achievable with what he has already provided. It hints at his delusion of what constitutes a competitive championship squad. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong over the next 18 days and bring in some desperately needed bodies, but I'm getting a bit worried that this is us now until next summer...

The thought of playing Scunthorpe and Crawley fills me with a mixture of dread and boredom

Fleetwood scares me