Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

****Charlton terminate contract of Head Coach Bob Peeters****

Comments

• dizzee said:

DRAddick said:

dizzee said:

Well hope those who moan and groan are happy now! Thanks Bob for all you hage done.

Seriously, what has he done that will be remembered in a years time?
    He kept us up in a season that really could have been a huge struggle for us.

The club was a shambles last summer, he came in and has managed to accumulate enough points to put us in a strong position for survival.

So I thank you Big Bob, and good luck in the future.
    When was that then?
    This season

It ain't over til the tubby bird starts wailing.
  • He didn't sack apparently; Luzon never left the network according a comment on that page
    StePar284 days ago
    He did not get fired, however he did quit himself. Only at Standard, cause he remains working in the group that Standard is in. Wich is,
    - STVV, Charlton, Carl Zeiss Jena, Alcorcon and Ujpest.
    Got a really shitty feeling that he may be coming our way. Really not impressed with this if it's true.
  • dizzee said:

DannyCAFC said:

Roland Duchatelet appointed Jose Riga assisted by Karel Fraeye.
    Karel Freye. He is highly thought of by Duchatelet and one of his jobs is head of network player recruitment, it was Freye who was largely responsible for getting Vetokele to The Valley.
    When he departed in May, Freye told some fans that he would return as Charlton manager in the not too distant future.
    Recently he grinned broadly, and said, "The bell is ringing for me."

The fact that he is head if player recruitment is a good thing. It means that every player that comes into Charlton will actually be wanted by the manager, since it will be him choosing who comes in.
    Hopefully; unless someone else gets promoted to Head of Recruitment. In which case, there's exactly the same possibility that we get someone picking players who doesn't know the league.
  • Hughsey back to be joint hear coach with JJ? The new Gritt and Curbs!
  • Right ok so he works together with them and builds a squad which is decent, just needs more additions. The players and fans respect him and he gives it back. Ok, we are ona bad run, but we look very capable of turning it around with 3 or 4 signings and a bit of luck. Ridiculous
  • December!
  • edited January 2015
    Assuming Guy Luzon comes in, his statistics are pretty good if we take his spell at standard liege his winning percentage was 48.61%

Compare this to some of the managers we've had here for their spell with us chris Powell 40.99 %
    Alan Curbishley 38.52%
    Parky 38.6%
    RIGA 43.7%
    Pardew 31.1%
  • Been told it will be Sherwood. Maybe RD has seen the light.

Yeah, right! He's turned down a number of crock-of-shit clubs for us?
    But wasn't Sherwood at The Valley v Blackburn in cup! Yes i know he's ex-Blackburn but there's no smoke without fire!
  • edited January 2015
  • That is good news. Forget the upset in the dressing-room - think of us, the fans: we haven't won at home for two-and-a-half months. Absolutely right: Peeters was a daft appointment right from the start, plucked from the Belgian backwaters to have a serious go at the Prem. Peeters is younger than his own captain, Jackson, who has more footballing intelligence in his little fingernail...

We need a man who has been there and done it, like Hughton or Pulis: open, honest, communicative, and knowledgeable. We, the fans, demand good players - and a damn good manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thing is, a managerial change normally brings excitement.

We know however there is a good chance it will be this Luzon flop, inexperienced Freye, or some other Belgium or network related non-entity. Riga maybe, but his chance to build on his momentum was six months ago.

Can understand why so many are becoming a bit exhausted with this club. It's not just losing games, it's losing it's soul and it's losing it's character.

I agree completely and we as fans are just about all that's left that still give this club it's character that we all love.
  • KLAddick said:

There may be good reasons for Bob's sacking and maybe it will turn out to be the right move. The performances I've seen this season have been dreary to say the least. However, if he is just replaced by another random European coach with no experience of a English football then it's hard to see that how things are things are likely to improve or that the owner is learning from his mistakes.

Looking at the last nine teams to get promoted from the Championship; all had British coaches/managers. Perhaps more importantly, all of these also had previous managerial experience in England, mostly in the Championship. The same is also true of the current top three this season - all British, all with experience in England. Many of these teams are backed by foreign owners but it appears these owners understood the importance of having a leader with local experience and networks.

Equally, it may just be that none of those clubs was owned by someone that thought they could transplant a striker from the Romanian second division into a Championship team and expect this to work. If anything is starting to look really wrong with Roland's model it's the 'scouting network' and the generally clueless approach to player recruitment.

Agree with you entirely, KLAddick. There is a litany of imposed failures: Thuram, Koc, Nego, Polish Pete, Reza, et al. Seriously good managers refuse to be mere coaches, their players bought and sold by the club owner. Duchatelet is aged 77.

• One thing I reckon is certain is that Bob was cheap. As I bet was Riga. Those who think he will splash out on a well known English coach are probably deluded. RD will have found a cheap candidate that he has been assured of as being up to the job. I would also expect it to be a short term appointment.
  • You are absolutely right about Duchatelet's cheapness, Absurdistan. Yet, what the results prove and what the fans say do make an impact on him. He could change his mind.
  • IdleHans said:

WIZZO1952 said:

Lurker said:

Jesus, not Sherwood.

is Jesus available?

At least we would be good at crosses. ...!!!!
    He'd start Pope and Church every game
    Matchday catering would just be loaves and fishes, and only enough for 5,000.
    Water into wine would be a definite bonus though !

You all need to stop getting over excited at the prospect of Jesus taking over. I have it on good authority that he's not available until Easter..........
  • Sponsored links:

• One thing that a lot of people seem to mention is the 'network' effect, and the general concensus that it doesnt work - however, Watford is a network, and they dont seem to have done too bad for past 2 seasons. - whats the difference? Is it the quality of the network?

The managers there have also been allowed to sign their own players. Doesn't happen here.

• Agree with you entirely, KLAddick. There is a litany of imposed failures: Thuram, Koc, Nego, Polish Pete, Reza, et al. Seriously good managers refuse to be mere coaches, their players bought and sold by the club owner. Duchatelet is aged 77.

All those players last season. By and large the players that have come in are good.

If only SCP had been given £3.5mil for strikers! Oh well.

One does have to give RD some credit for recognising his mistakes (Kermit, not listening to SCP on quality of players req, and now the appt of Bob), and then doing something to try and improve the position.

Bob was from the bottom of Belgium football, if it is to be Luzon, at least he is from the very top of the tree with a very good record.

Just need to clasp our hands together and pray he will be allowed to sign some experienced championship players.

• Assuming Guy Luzon comes in, his statistics are pretty good if we take his spell at standard liege his winning percentage was 48.61%

Compare this to some of the managers we've had here for their spell with us chris Powell 40.99 %
    Alan Curbishley 38.52%
    Parky 38.6%
    RIGA 43.7%
    Pardew 31.1%

Can't be compared. It's all relative.
  • One thing I reckon is certain is that Bob was cheap. As I bet was Riga. Those who think he will splash out on a well known English coach are probably deluded. RD will have found a cheap candidate that he has been assured of as being up to the job. I would also expect it to be a short term appointment.

Proving expensive to keep sacking them though I bet.
  • edited January 2015
    Urgh. Just urgh.
  • New managers wife - Dana Fahn-Luzon,

Yep, Luzon is definitely the right man for the job.
    Please put this photo in the January confirmed championship signings