Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Brighton - Post match views

Comments

• chappers said:

Poyet back anyone?? So short in the middle of the park, slow and no energy! Build up play is so slow and lethargic especially first half of games, I'm beginning to wonder if Bob tells them to play that way first half then be more adventurous 2nd?

RD has pushed him out, there's no way he'd come back to us. Unfortunately as good as a fact.
  • The least ineffective team won, but at least we came out with a bit of zip in the second half. And Watt showed he has something about him - but was it him that put a chance wide that certain other strikers would have been castigated for missing?

Not sure of the value of playing Vetokele on the left wing, cos he ain't get the goal he needs very easily from there.

As for Gudmondsson, I think we are seeing why we signed him rather than a higher placed club - moments of class, but the rest of the time he doesn't have the impact that his ability would suggest he should.

In terms of Peeters, I hope he gets until the end of the season.
    And I can see the logic in keeping him until then, as I still don't think we'll go down and it will save some cash in paying up his contract, but I don't expect he'll be around come August.
  • No consistency, paper thin squad and injuries this rut was always going to happen.

That's the worst Brighton team I've seen at the Valley for a long time and we weren't much better in our performance.

Positives for me were Cousins in centre mid looked decent, finally saw him competing for headers and his passing game was ten times better than what I have seen for most the season.

Wiggins after such a long lay off looked a little rusty but in my opinion showed us what we have missed.

Watt, has that technical ability to make something happen. If we can get him the ball to run at players, he could be the match winner.....optimistic possibly, but some match practice and he could be the relief for Igor we need.

Gomez also had a great impact down that right hand side, infact both Gomez and Wiggins running down the wings were positive and brought good opportunities to cross.......

......which leads to my negatives, cross to who? Where is the interest to burst into the box, George looks gormless and it seems any time a ball gets put in there, no one wants it. Where is the intensity? where is the desire?

Wilson, that was appalling, no effort, no technical ability, just nothing. Pointless. Amount of times he was on the floor claiming a foul and would stand their appealing for a good 10 seconds while the ball trickled past him was infuriating.

George is clearly not a target man, he is a big lad but where is the strength? He is a good technical player with his feet, but all I ever really see him do now is chasing the goalkeeper down.

To be honest a draw would have been a fair result, but I don't know what else we could have done? Look at the options on the bench, no wingers or centre mids, no options.

Another set piece conceded, why aren't we learning from our previous mistakes and working on a clear weakness?

I don't think Peeters should go, but we need more players and we need more passion and intensity to not sit back and wait for a team to take it to us.
  • That was pretty painful to watch, no game plan whatsoever. Players body language after going a goal behind was also poor.

Time for Bob to go, he's only taking us in one direction. We should be doing better with what we've got than 2 wins in 16
  • Peeter's heads gone.

Igor left wing - that worked

Bikey up top - that worked

Tucudean - that worked

Wilson - that worked

442 - that worked

"We were unlucky" - do me a lemonade
  • Don't look like scoring and we continue to under perform. Heading towards relegation unless there is a change in attitude - air of resignation around the place.
    Peeters should be getting more out of the players.
    Brighton were poor today but they had enough..
  • I have resisted the urge to post until now. I have seen some poor sides in my 40 years as a supporter, and although I think this team has some potential our negative approach is killing us. Brighton were there for the taking today , yet once again we had to go behind before we showed any fight at all.it looks to me as though the players are playing in fear, too slow, too cautious, if we are to lose games at least go down fighting.
  • What the f**k has what is going on now got to do with Chris Powell? To say I am sick of hearing about Huddersfield and reading comparisons with last season is understatement of the year.

We are in a rut, we desperately need a boost in midfield and we need to get our first choice keeper fit. Why the f**ck is Chris Powell relevant to that?

Sick of people bleating on about him.

Spot on fuck Chris Powell he 's gone and I don't care how Huddersfield are doin
  • Sponsored links:

• I wouldn't say we were unlucky today, I thought we were poor. Something is rotten in the club at the moment & it's now evident on the pitch - Peeters has lost the dressing room IMO, we thought that before Bikey made his comments but it's now showing on the pitch.

I thought Watt did well, showed some flashes and on another day, he may have scored. Solly was great in central midfield, and was so unlucky with his shot. Wilson & Tucudean were poor, Etheridge made a bad decision to come for the cross that led to the goal. Gudmundsson was largely ineffective & I would say the same for Vetokele.

All in all, worrying times, I can't see where the next win is coming from & the club are free falling down the table right now, it's going to be a tough second half to the season.
  • Charlton Life reflective match comments bingo

"Bob is tactically naive" (15,000 people know the solutions but not the guy who is in charge - amazing!)

"Bob is out of his depth"

"Bob has lost the changing room"

"The players have no passion"

"We've been found out" (Does anyone actually know what this one means?)

• WSS said:

You will if they finish 21st and we finish 22nd

Fuck off Glenn , this Powell love in is gettin on my tits
  • Better than the game against Blackburn, but nowhere near enough fight. Watt looked good, so did Gomez, Church is a better option that Tucudean at the moment. Or Wilson.
    Thought Solly, Cousins and Ben Haim played well, pleased Wiggins is back. Bikey was a mixed bag as he has been recently. Would be marking him down for his woeful passing but he got in at least two excellent blocks. And has been slagged off by Bob for conceding the free kick they scored from. Etheridge doesn't look as good as Pope in my opinion.
  • vff said:

Personally don't dislike Bob Peeters but don't think he has the talent to turn the sows ear into the silk purse that Duchatelet is expecting him to do. Currently BP is floundering. The only hope is to get some more quality in, and the only way that is happening is Bob Peeters is replaced by another head coach, who may request some access to funds for quality to turn things around before taking the job.

Perhaps Peeters will go, perhaps another guy from abroad will come in and perhaps the Duchatelet plan will be the same.

I'm not looking forward to the coming months.
  • We were at our last win vs Reading. We weren't convincing but it was a win. Since then we've not seen anything close to a win and that has to affect confidence.
    It needs turning around as people are starting to believe rubbish spouted that we don't have any decent players. The back four were our first choice for the first time in quite a while and it shouldn't take Wiggins too long to get match fit again.
    Up front Watt looks a real threat and we all hope Vetokele finds his mojo again. Tucudean and Church can support... Church (and Wilson) are out of contract in the summer.

It's the midfield where the problem is. Gudmundsson and Cousins played well I thought but the midfield as a unit is just nor good enough. Will Buyens coming back help...Can they land Coquelin again...why have we not brought back Ajdarevic? Or does it need a new head coach?

Some extreme views out there still banging on about Koc and Nego and stating how form of a point a game (or worse) over a sustained period is good enough for our club. This season or last. Well it isnt and I hope fans aren't fooled by this rhetoric. We've attracted some decent talent in last summer and Watt may well add to that this month. Bob needs to make it work before we get sacked into the bottom six.

A few days ago you thought that the result of today's game could decide Peeters future.
  • Darragh Macanthony's twitter rant about his team is quite amusing. We're not the only team with problems

https://twitter.com/DMAC102?lang=en-gb
  • another boring day freezing my arse off and watching crap. Im not sure how much I blame Bob. However, he must be sailing close to wind now. Saw something today that a few sitting with me also noticed. A Brighton player won the ball and 3 Charlton players standing around him appeared to move away. Is this zonal football? The player that won the move then started a move from which Brighton nearly scored.
    Brighton were crap. We really will not get an easier game. Hate to see the whingers proved right about Wilson, but he really is shot to pieces. If we were voting on a manager I would vote for change. Could not bear going back to league 1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't believe Negative comment about cousins,only midfielder along with solly to make a tackle.
    Jackson is now off the pace(not just today) and Lawrie Wilson who was such a steady eddie of a player last season
    Put in a shocker, at least put in a tackle lawrie,

we all thought that playing right sided players, on the right Solly and Wilson
    and Left sided players on the left Wiggins and Gudmonsson we would have better shape.

With wilson and Jackson having a mare, we couldn't create chances 1st half.

We were better 2nd half and i feel we could play Solly in midfield ahead of Gomez at RB.

Tony Watt showed some good control of the football but when the chance came to be an instant hero,
    couldn't take it.

If we can't get Coq back then we need a good attacking midfielder to feed johann,Igor and Tony Watt and start scoring again.

After a dozen games the concenus was, we were on the right road, had put the cones out and we were a work in progress ?

I would say now the workmen have had a bloody long tea break!

• Darragh Macanthony's twitter rant about his team is quite amusing. We're not the only team with problems

https://twitter.com/DMAC102?lang=en-gb

See, this is why morons shouldn't be allowed twitter
  • We were at our last win vs Reading. We weren't convincing but it was a win. Since then we've not seen anything close to a win and that has to affect confidence.
    It needs turning around as people are starting to believe rubbish spouted that we don't have any decent players. The back four were our first choice for the first time in quite a while and it shouldn't take Wiggins too long to get match fit again.
    Up front Watt looks a real threat and we all hope Vetokele finds his mojo again. Tucudean and Church can support... Church (and Wilson) are out of contract in the summer.

It's the midfield where the problem is. Gudmundsson and Cousins played well I thought but the midfield as a unit is just nor good enough. Will Buyens coming back help...Can they land Coquelin again...why have we not brought back Ajdarevic? Or does it need a new head coach?

Some extreme views out there still banging on about Koc and Nego and stating how form of a point a game (or worse) over a sustained period is good enough for our club. This season or last. Well it isnt and I hope fans aren't fooled by this rhetoric. We've attracted some decent talent in last summer and Watt may well add to that this month. Bob needs to make it work before we get sacked into the bottom six.

A few days ago you thought that the result of today's game could decide Peeters future.
    I can't remember the exact quote but there's no denying that the longer we go without a win, the pressure and tension builds and the confidence goes.
    So it has to influence things.
    Oddschecker has Pearce and Peeters at 3:1 favourites for the next manager to go, closely followed by Holloway.
  • George is just woeful - he offers nothing.

Wilson had a shocker.

We don't have wingers that get past a defender and put in a cross, we don't have a playmaker than can open up a defence with a killer ball - when was the last time we won a game by two clear goals...?

Without investment we'll keep dropping down the league but we're good enough to stay up, RD probably recognises this so I don't expect much investment, it's gonna be a long second half to the season....
  • Fuck Wilson off. Never has one man hid quite like he did today

Stealing a living
  • Oggy Red said:

Peeters needs to lock the dressing room door and throw some tea cups around.

There's no urgency or passion.

I wouldn't be surprised if something similar has happened before but instead of having a galvanizing effort, has led on to a split and unhappy camp.

We look an unhappy, possibly underperforming bunch, hugely unencouraging to watch, and very hard to be anything but negative about.

So demoralizing at the moment.
    I heard before Xmas from what I consider to be a reliable source that Peeters had lost the dressing room for the following reasons:

1. His constant belittling of some players at training

2. Over emphasis on petty rules and treating the players like kids

3. Reluctance to allow them any time to ado the community things many used to enjoy

4. Treatment of players who would run through walls for pervious managers and the club.

5. Trying to rule thorough fear. The llikes of Bikey, TBH, Jackson and Solly have been particularly challenging of this.
    Omg if that's true that's not good at all
  • Players being bought back from injuries way to early!! Igor playing with an injury!! Is not good for us or him it could ruin his career!!! Bad management
  • mrbligh said:

Fuck Wilson off. Never has one man hid quite like he did today

Stealing a living

Don't think there is a word that exists in the English dictionary to sum up Wilson today. I bet Brighton could not believe their luck to find out they had an extra man playing for them. First touch was non existent, was second to anything that came near him, tackling was a joke and passing was embarrasing.