Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Brighton - Post match views

Comments

• Has anyone seen our new goalkeeper make a save yet? I have seen him at least 3 times and he is yet to do anything but catch the ball or pick it out of the net. Not impressed. Very much a weak link in my mind. Gutted more than ever for Pope.
  • edited January 2015

PL54 said:

PL54 said:

Last 12 games.

Sobering to look at Huddersfield, scored over twice as many goals us as in the last 12 when we've invested and they haven't really. CP negative and BP the man to bring us forward? Hmm.

Don't be a cock - it is what it is
    No need for that
    He got sacked whilst at the bottom of the league. It's been a shit storm since but why constantly refer ro him and his new team's results - apples and pears.
    One of, if not the, first times I've referred to his new teams results, think you've got the wrong person. People dished it out against CP and his tactics but can't take it when stuff isn't going as smoothly as we thought it would without him. After the honeymoon period ended it's been painfully dull. I want to see positives from a manager, he runs the team, I am hearing just excuses from BP.

We are looking to have the lowest average attendance this season home & away in the Championship we've had for a long while, and understandably, the whole set up on and off the pitch is losing fans quick as some of us had envisaged in pre-season.
    Look at Huddersfields attacking options. If you are gonna say we've invested, then our forward line is not where that's taken place. It's no wonder they've scored twice as many as us, our only decent forward is Igor.

I'm not making excuses for BP, he needs to shape up or ship out but it's not a fair comparison imo.
  • This season has been my worst for attending home games due to various reasons. I missed the last home game as i was working, this week I used 12 hours leave to come and watch. For most of the game, all i was thinking was what a waste of leave.

For me, this season has really caused me to lose my mojo for Charlton, today didnt help! All around me people were moaning, and a general feeling of despair. At least with other owners, we felt like we had a chance of buying players, now all we feel is that if we are lucky, we'll get a SL player who cant get into their first team.
  • Other than Millwall losing the only positive I can see is PalARSE being one down at the moment. Looking for others results for a modicum of joy is pathetic, so I am officially pathetic.
  • Oggy Red said:

Peeters needs to lock the dressing room door and throw some tea cups around.

There's no urgency or passion.

I wouldn't be surprised if something similar has happened before but instead of having a galvanizing effort, has led on to a split and unhappy camp.

We look an unhappy, possibly underperforming bunch, hugely unencouraging to watch, and very hard to be anything but negative about.

So demoralizing at the moment.
  • Yet another excruciating Saturday at The Valley. A ball winning midfielder is a must because both Blackburn and Brighton have had a stroll against our midfield.

Looked like Wiggins had done his foot again towards the end. I do hope not.
  • Wasn't there. Didn't keep in touch with CL, BBC or anything else during the match. Just got in and found out the score AND I am pissed off! Can only imagine what its like for you poor bastards...

Might take up drink again.
  • edited January 2015
    Awful first 45. Really poor tempo. Really basic mistakes and poor control. Better second half, but still not very good, apart from Watt and Gomez.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2015

PL54 said:

PL54 said:

Last 12 games.

Sobering to look at Huddersfield, scored over twice as many goals us as in the last 12 when we've invested and they haven't really. CP negative and BP the man to bring us forward? Hmm.

No need for that
    He got sacked whilst at the bottom of the league. It's been a shit storm since but why constantly refer ro him and his new team's results - apples and pears.
    One of, if not the, first times I've referred to his new teams results, think you've got the wrong person. People dished it out against CP and his tactics but can't take it when stuff isn't going as smoothly as we thought it would without him. After the honeymoon period ended it's been painfully dull. I want to see positives from a manager, he runs the team, I am hearing just excuses from BP.

We are looking to have the lowest average attendance this season home & away in the Championship we've had for a long while, and understandably, the whole set up on and off the pitch is losing fans quick as some of us had envisaged in pre-season.
    Look at Huddersfields attacking options. If you are gonna say we've invested, then our forward line is not where that's taken place. It's no wonder they've scored twice as many as us, our only decent forward is Igor.

I'm not making excuses for BP, he needs to shape up or ship out but it's not a fair comparison imo.
    Igor Vetokele & George Tucudean. Also our midfield should help out scoring a few goals (as Huddersfields' has), Bulot, Moussa & Buyens haven't done that, bar Buyens' pens.. Gudmundsson has.

Huddersfield had scored 7 in their 6 games when CP took over, we had scored 10 in 6.. We've scored 14 in 19 since, they've scored 27 in the same. What's changed, except their manager? Nakhi Wells & Bunn were there before he took over.

& this isn't CP loving, more an observation.

And yes he does need to shape up or ship out :-)
  • Does Bob have a clue, I for one have lost faith in him.

Constantly playing players out of position. No argument with bringing Church on but to then put Igor left wing, surely he got that wrong. Why not stick Church right he's not likely to score but is likely to provide a cross.

And he must realise that this zonel marking isn't working, how many set prices do we loose headers.

We are going down with this bloke at the helm.
  • Poor un-watchable football again now.

Had enough of Tuc
    Had enough of Peeters and his excuses.

We have lost to a very average side today.
  • We need to bring 2 midfield players in and that is taking into account Buyens was not playing today.

We start home games so lethargic it is ridiculous. Not the 1st time this season I've heard an opponent's fan saying we are set up not to lose.

Fed up.

And I still hate zonal marking.
  • edited January 2015
    Boring & clueless apart from brief spell in the 2nd half. Brighton are an ordinary team, but we approached the game with the negativity and caution that has become a hallmark of our team. Stupid foul by Bikey, but that doesn't excuse the monumental balls-up that Etheridge made from the resulting free-kick. Thought Vetokele should have done better with the rebound from Solly's shot that hit the bar. Watt looked very lively and probably should have scored with his effort from the angle (or possibly squared it).
    The penalty shout in the first half was reasonable and if most of the crowd hadn't been asleep by then, the ref might have given it.
    Then, not unreasonably, you bring on Church for Wilson but move your centre forward out left to accommodate the Spongefooted one. Unbelievable.
    I honestly hope that the players still have belief in the manager, though it is plain to see that when they step over the white line their self-belief disappears.
    A relegation battle looms.
  • Good points Tony Watt,Tony Watt and again Tony Watt. Other less good points Wiggins is back and had a good game as did all of the back four (Ince is a big lump and I would possibly blame Etheridge on this one) I thought a draw would have been a fair result. It is definitely not doom and gloom. We need Buyens back . Jackson looked out of it most of the time and even more so when he got injured. Laurie has had two consecutive bad games and he looks lacking in confidence. Cousins blew hot and cold. Tucudean did not work hard enough for me and vetokele is not the same player compared to before his injury. Gudmundson looked not as sharp. I was just hoping that there would be more cutting edge but it is all too predictable and no killer pass, cross nothing except for the ball played by watt for solly and the subsequent rattling of the crossbar. When Etheridge gets the ball there is no urgency to get players running on the wings or anywhere for that matter. Confidence is easily turned around by someone like watt scoring so looking forward to next Saturday to see him start and get a goal. You have to live with optimism supporting Charlton else you go home and kick the cat . (just an expression)
  • Watt did more in not touching the ball from the 1st pass to him than George had done in his 50 minutes or so.

And don't get me started on zonal marking.
  • Sponsored links:

• vffvff
    edited January 2015
  • Just seen the goal on Sky. Etheridge is a clown and the look TBH gives him says it all.
  • PL54 said:

PL54 said:

Last 12 games.

No need for that

Igor Vetokele & George Tucudean. Also our midfield should help out scoring a few goals (as Huddersfields' has), Bulot, Moussa & Buyens haven't done that, bar Buyens' pens.. Gudmundsson has.

Huddersfield had scored 7 in their 6 games when CP took over, we had scored 10 in 6.. We've scored 14 in 19 since, they've scored 27 in the same. What's changed, except their manager? Nakhi Wells & Bunn were there before he took over.

& this isn't CP loving, more an observation.

And yes he does need to shape up or ship out :-)
    Tucadean is crap, Moussa is unfit, Bulot is shite and Buyens is too deep cos he knows the ball will come straight back. Rave about CP, he has got them scoring goals...but there is no comparison to us.
  • Yet another wasted afternoon. When was the last time we scored from a corner? When was the last time a Charlton centre-half scored from a corner? Meanwhile, our defensive play from set pieces is a shambles.
    I do not enjoy watching Charlton as I used to. I recall the Lennie days with fondness... players who gave their all, and a club that was worth supporting.
    Nice pitch, by the way...
  • Six points of relegation places and no wins since early November, now it is looking like a crisis. I am hoping, even if Wenger does not let us have Coq back, he'll send us someone who will bolster midfield, we need it. Buyens is back next week, but I am not convinced by him or Gudmunson that when the going gets tough they will get going.

TWatt looked useful and if his attempt straight after he came on had gone in I think we would have steam rollered them, but it did not.

• We desperately need someone in, in midfield. After all we didn't loan Coquelin as injury cover, we loaned him to address a weakness there.

Boring, lethargic football, and you know, you know that we'll concede from a set piece, it's getting so predictable, I imagine Troy Deeney will be looking forward to scoring the winner from a free kick or corner next week...
    I'm quite glad that Church hasn't gone to Millwall, as at least he gives you a bit of energy when he comes on.
    And our corners, JBG's corners from the left are pretty poor, he showed when he played LM in the first half that his general crossing is poor too.
  • Poyet back anyone?? So short in the middle of the park, slow and no energy! Build up play is so slow and lethargic especially first half of games, I'm beginning to wonder if Bob tells them to play that way first half then be more adventurous 2nd?
  • Hard for me to judge the team. All I see is about 3mins of highlights on the web after each game every week.

Lucky bugger!
  • Posting without caring......

Firstly a mention for Brightons best player, Lawrie Wilson. Take a bow. How the f### did he manage to swerve being subbed at half time? Once again we are utter chuff in the first half and then come out and have a go in the second. If only Sollys shot had been a few inches lower or Watt had passed to Igor instead shooting we might have grabbed a point or 3. Starting to worry about relegation now as we are dropping like a stone and need a gut busting performance from somewhere but at the moment it ain't happening.
  • Really depressing. The whole team was poor apart from perhaps Wiggins and Cousins. There was not enough effort and very little running off the ball. The defence looks vulnerable and we desperately need an attacking midfield player even though they are hard to come by. Charlton corners and crosses were awful. Earlier in the season I thought Bob Peeters was the business; how wrong I was. He seems unable to motivate and improve the players. In fact, the players have got worse. RD made a poor decision in not keeping Riga on. By the time we reach the Rotherham game we could be close to the relegation zone. BP may even have to go.