Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*(NOT ENTIRELY false) RUMOUR* Bob Peeters sacked, Guy Luzon coming in.

Comments

• Options

There was in the olden days a great philosopher of this parish,
    who said we were in for a bumpy ride, reports of late say this wise old sage ended up in a museum.

So Bob Peeters finds himself at the Crossroad, quite early in his journey.

Bob being a boy racer, wants to go on the new toll road where he will reach his destination quickly.
    The trouble is, he hasn't got the money to pay the toll.

Also he has a satnav with the voice of Katrien and Roland telling him to take the B road with all the potholes.

They were words of wisdom, said back in the day.

Bumpy ride.

Dungeon Master?!
  • Options
    The last thing we need is a change of manager. We just need reinforcements.

And for the record, I would not want Riga back. I thought he was average at best.
  • Options
    Shows how clueless RD and his strategy is, he's inept at running a football club. Thinking that the players must be good enough and it's always the managers fault. zzzzzzz.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

And for the record, I would not want Riga back. I thought he was average at best.

4 wins in 22 for Bob WITH reinforcements, a brand spanking new pitch and a fresh feel about the club for Bob.... and 7 wins out of 16 from a team he had no pre-season with and weaker in terms of goal scoring options. And Rigas average? What does that make Bob? Results talk.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    JiMMy 85 said:

When I first started supporting Charlton, we were a club largely accepting of our place in the great scheme of football. Now, it seems we have a huge proportion of fans who will get very irate if we are a mid-table team (presumably, regardless of which table that is), regardless even of if that's an improvement on the previous year. It's really depressing.

I actually really agree with this, I started supporting the club when we were in the Championship and became a full time season ticket holder every season when we got into League One.

The Championship, even with significant investment, can be very difficult to get out of, just ask Leicester fans, but with the right team and a bit of patience, it is possible, ask Burnley fans...

Personally, I still think letting Riga go was inexcusable. You can't get rid of one guy, who is a fan favourite, have a positive reaction to the new guy, and then get rid of him just as quickly...

Have a word with yourself Roland.
  • Options
    He did not look or sound strong enough to manage a club. Would make a good coach or a number 2. Maybe deserved a chance but we have moved on.

Whatever Bobs record at the moment I do not think a change would be good at this point.
  • Options
    Guy Luzon ?.. w t f .. might as well go for Guy the Gorilla
  • Options
    Eh? We've played 24, won 6, lost 5 and drawn the rest. Not groundshaking, but why ignore two of our winning games?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Riga was excellent at getting the most out of our academy players. If Roland isn't going to spend heavily on transfers then we need a manager who can inspire our youngsters.
  • Options
    I'd like to see us stick with Bob and get him another striker at least.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Redrobo said:

4 wins in 22 for Bob WITH reinforcements, a brand spanking new pitch and a fresh feel about the club for Bob.... and 7 wins out of 16 from a team he had no pre-season with and weaker in terms of goal scoring options. And Rigas average? What does that make Bob? Results talk.
    6 wins 5 loses 13 draws for Bob. Still in credit just.

I thought Riga was a miracle worker keeping CAFC in the championship.

Was his record 7 wins 6 loses 3 draws ?

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

When I first started supporting Charlton, we were a club largely accepting of our place in the great scheme of football. Now, it seems we have a huge proportion of fans who will get very irate if we are a mid-table team (presumably, regardless of which table that is), regardless even of if that's an improvement on the previous year. It's really depressing.

I think you have a point but timescales have changed dramatically over recent decades. I posted some analysis a couple of years or so ago that showed the average time a player stays with a club has reduced from something like 5 years to 2 years over the last 40 years. Likewise, managers come and go at many clubs. When I was young, you had much of the same team from year to year and, therefore, knew your place in the footballing world. Nowadays, players come and go with alarming regularity which means expectations rise and fall quickly.

I am not sure that there are too many 'irate' supporters on this forum. I think there is a frustration that a decent looking side started steadily but things now look a bit rocky. If there is a mistaken belief, it is misconception that we are (definitely) only two or three good players from being a promotion chasing side. That comes with a big 'if'. Will the two or three players settle in well? Are they as good as we thought? etc. etc. The Championship is a tough old division - small weaknesses, mistakes or whatever will mean that we slip down the table.
  • Options
    Peeters now favourite - Stuart Pearce moves out to 4:1 after losing to Rochdale FFS!

Let's see what happens next...if the players want him they will play for him on Saturday.

No idea who Luzon is / what he can do but Riga knows the club, half the squad and we know him... If the board are looking for an insurance option to stay mid-table then Riga is the man.

For those who don't want speculation, it's inevitable when you're on a run of 2 wins in 14 and can't beat the two worst teams in the division at home. Either way this should be resolved this month.
  • Options
    Those saying "we're doing better than last season" and "you've got short memories" etc are missing the point.

Yes we are doing better than last season, but we're only halfway through this campaign and despite a decent start, our decline is alarming and if it continues, this season will end as bad, if not worse than the last one.

Do I think Bob should lose his job? No, he deserves more time. But if you asked me if I think he's doing a decent job of it, then the answer would also be no...............
  • Options

Those saying "we're doing better than last season" and "you've got short memories" etc are missing the point.

Yes we are doing better than last season, but we're only halfway through this campaign and despite a decent start, our decline is alarming and if it continues, this season will end as bad, if not worse than the last one.

Do I think Bob should lose his job? No, he deserves more time. But if you asked me if I think he's doing a decent job of it, then the answer would also be no...............

So even though we are doing better than last season means he's not doing a good job?

Its a slump in form. The beginning of the season has offset this slump.

Ive got faith in BP to sort it out, starting against Brighton.
  • Options
    Surely all teams are entitled to that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Riga - 16 games, averaged 1.5 points a game.
    Peeters averaged 1.56 points a game from his first 16 games (arguably against tougher opposition).

I've got nothing against Riga, but some on here seem to think we've missed out on the next Matt Busby. There's a lot of people on here who are far too quick to draw conclusions (good or bad) about our players and coaches.

Key on the word 'first' 16.. how about last 16? Riga didn't have the beauty of a full pre-season with the lads, or a lovely pitch to play his floor football
  • Options

So even though we are doing better than last season means he's not doing a good job?

I'm sorry but "form" - in footballing terms is normally measured over a few games - we've won once in about 12 games, that's a quarter of a season. Dress it up how you want but that is far more concerning than just a "slump in form" and the reason for this dramatic decline may not all be Bob's fault, but he has to take at least some of the blame.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I'm sorry but "form" - in footballing terms is normally measured over a few games - we've won once in about 12 games, that's a quarter of a season. Dress it up how you want but that is far more concerning than just a "slump in form" and the reason for this dramatic decline may not all be Bob's fault, but he has to take at least some of the blame.
    and the 'slump' has seen more draws than losses. During that time we got beat convincingly by two in form sides. I agree Bob does have to take some of the blame, for example his tactics against Blackpool at home, but this club has had worse times in its very recent history. Id say he's doing an okay job. I just feel some people are giving up on him far too quickly.
  • Options
    @BelgoFoot: No noise in Belgium about possible replacement of Bob Peeters by Guy Luzon. File under 'rumour corner'. #cafc
  • Options
    Apologies to Stig for using his graph without permission.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25601476@N05/15808079609

Neck and neck with Powell's first season but still ahead of the Powell/Riga season
  • Options
    I would have happily accepted Riga being appointed full time

If JBG, Igor, TBH, Bikey and Henderson aren't improvements on last year's team, some of you must be watching a different team

Firmly team BOB IN,

BUT: He needs to stop with the playing out of positions, Solly in CM etc. Watt is coming in, but if Bob can sign 2 or 3 players of the same quality as the above players, results will start to change
  • Options
    Big_Bob said:

I would have happily accepted Riga being appointed full time

If JBG, Igor, TBH, Bikey and Henderson aren't improvements on last year's team, some of you must be watching a different team

Firmly team BOB IN,

BUT: He needs to stop with the playing out of positions, Solly in CM etc. Watt is coming in, but if Bob can sign 2 or 3 players of the same quality as the above players, results will start to change

You username is Big_Bob .... Fishy
  • Options
    If i had a pound for every time someone says that, I'd buy the club off Roly
  • Options
    Because i want Charlton to be a successfull team,
    Is the reason i wanted Powell, Riga And now Peeters to be a success.

Riga was a success because he took over when we were 24th and with 3 games in a week(8 days for you pedants)
    till the end of the season, and kept us up. With vital goals from Sordell and Harriott who most of CL said shouldn't
    be anywhere near the first team.

Jose played less Network player than Chris, so he was never going to get a longer contract.

Bob, stand up to Roland and Katrien because if the team doesn't have 3 quality players coming into the side in Jan
    you will be the fall guys not them.

If the ambition of the club is to finish in the play offs and you fall short, you will finish mid table.
    when the ambition seems to be 14 to 17th and you fall short you may end up in the brown stuff.