Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reza?

Comments

• Options
    RedMist said:

Like the lad think he has potential but can't see him getting a game though?

you cant see a World Cup goalscorer getting a game at Charlton
    1 goal, a tap in, which is 1 more than church admittedly but that's not saying much-like to see him get a chance but lets not get carried away.
    Just as well he wouldn't be up against an Argentinian defence every week then.
  • Options
    On March 19th..

A little birdy told me yesterday that Reza will be off at the end of the season, not sure where to. Pretty confident it's true

He was using us as a stop off, it's a shame but that's how the network runs, if he is better used/cash in value is good elsewhere, then he'll be off.
  • Options
    Smart move by RD if the deal was done after the WC, the network will probably get a reasonable fee which offsets some of the money we have shelled out
  • Options
    Can someone tell me where he's going???
  • Options

Can someone tell me where he's going???

As usual nobody knows anything, apart from he was leaving at the end of the season, left for political reasons now Ben haim has signed a few days ago and he couldn't settle so will be moving up north.. Which means he will be a Brighton player in the next 24 hrs.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Not commenting on the rights & wrongs of it but IF he has family in Iran, I doubt it would be feasible for him to play for a club that has an Israeli on its books following the news from Gaza.

Sorry, didn't realise Ben Haim was personally launching missiles from Sparrows Lane.
    No need to apologise. Instead just use some of your obvious cognitive abilities to work out how some of the more extreme factions in Iran might view the issue. (Hint: some of Reza's Iranian fans were not too impressed about Ben Haim's signing.)
    And ask yourself whether you'd want family members living in Iran in such circumstances. Let us know what you conclude.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Best finisher at the club bar none last season. Think if you use him right he'd be a real gem.

Though I think there is a player there, I don't see how he can be considered the best finisher when he only scored 1 goal.

And even if he was, he was competing with Church and Sordell for the honour!
    Aren't there people on here who say Joe Pigott is the best natural finisher at the club? He's not even the best Joe at the club
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

Not commenting on the rights & wrongs of it but IF he has family in Iran, I doubt it would be feasible for him to play for a club that has an Israeli on its books following the news from Gaza.

Sorry, didn't realise Ben Haim was personally launching missiles from Sparrows Lane.
    No need to apologise. Instead just use some of your obvious cognitive abilities to work out how some of the more extreme factions in Iran might view the issue. (Hint: some of Reza's Iranian fans were not too impressed about Ben Haim's signing.)
    And ask yourself whether you'd want family members living in Iran in such circumstances. Let us know what you conclude.
    I conclude that is a slightly over the top accessment
  • Options

cafctom said:

Best finisher at the club bar none last season. Think if you use him right he'd be a real gem.

Though I think there is a player there, I don't see how he can be considered the best finisher when he only scored 1 goal.

Aren't there people on here who say Joe Pigott is the best natural finisher at the club? He's not even the best Joe at the club
    Never heard anyone say that
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

Isn't he from Holland?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

I understand that but to refuse to work with someone on the basis of their religion or country of birth is ridiculous.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

I understand that but to refuse to work with someone on the basis of their religion or country of birth is ridiculous.
    I don't think Cafcfan is saying Reza has the issue personally, only that his 'devoted' fanbase can get pretty nuts, and it's them who would be trouble if he played with Ben Haim. Which is extremely depressing but perhaps not entirely inaccurate - given the pretty extremist views we've had from English posters living in England on this very forum on the subject.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Never heard anyone say that
    It's possible you haven't read every single comment Paulie
  • Options

cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

Of course it's ridiculous but religion and politics are ridiculous. There are plenty of examples, here's one: jpost.com/Middle-East/Iranian-chess-master-expelled-for-refusing-to-play-Israeli
  • Options

Reza and Ben Haim played at the same club 6 months ago though and it did not seem to be a problem then?

Presumably because that was before tensions have got high.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The whole thing is a lot more complex and bringing it down to an Iranian / Israeli thing is far to simple. Firstly Reza is a footballer. Footballers are generally not known for taking political stances, Secondly as a Dutch Iranian ex pat, he is unlikely to get involved with politics one or the other.

Iranian expats in the public eye (like Russian expats) are not advised to criticise the Iranian govt publicly and avoid public football player excess. Other than that he is not expected to make public pronouncements. It should not be assumed what Reza thinks about the whole thing or what Ben Haim thinks about it either. It is probably a topic neither goes into as they are footballers first and foremost.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited July 2014
    Having experienced half a season at Championship football, it is likely that Reza would be a lot better this season. This is particularly if played in his strongest position. It would be a shame to lose Reza at this point as Peeters may understand to get the best out of him.

If Reza does go, then Charlton gave Reza a chance to build match fitness for the Iranian World Cup exploits. Charlton are left with the memory of the Leeds goal, a couple of thunderous shots against the cross bar and the first Charlton player to score a world cup goal.

I would wish Reza well wherever he goes.

The fee, and how that might work is a mystery to me. This is probably known only to Roland and Katrien.
  • Options
    Would prefer Reza to stay but not too bothered if he goes - providing we bring in Bahebeck or another striker. Igor and George look strong but Churchy and Joe P as back up just isn't good enough.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Not sure selling the Iranian after we've signed an Israeli would be a wise move for CAFC. What with the modern day twitter and other media speculation and over reaction to everything it will probably end up being seen by others that we are taking sides and wouldn't be good press. We will probably end up having to have full body searches before entering the valley due to an increased security risk.
  • Options

Not sure selling the Iranian after we've signed an Israeli would be a wise move for CAFC. What with the modern day twitter and other media speculation and over reaction to everything it will probably end up being seen by others that we are taking sides and wouldn't be good press. We will probably end up having to have full body searches before entering the valley due to an increased security risk.

Better not, how am I gonna sneak my scrumpy in?!?
  • Options
    Keep him at Charlton and hope he bangs some goals in (slightly unlikely) Cash in on Reza whilst stock is high after WC, (highly likely) or move him along to another team in the network (very unlikely)
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Ketts who posts on CAFCpicks and usually gets things right with the Club has just posted that Reza has gone.

Dr Kish is an outstanding blog and very reliable, but I think you've been hoodwinked by an imposter.

This is what Dr Kish said last week,

"The future of Reza Ghoochannejhad has been the subject of speculation recently, with some suggesting he has already left the club.

Rumours surfaced at the end of last season that following the World Cup, the likeable Ghoochannejhad would move on to a club in the Middle East.

Reza enjoyed a good competition and scored Iran's goal against Bosnia.

Speculation has been fuelled by his absence from all of Charlton's pre-season games. The explanation is simple though, Ghoochannejhad reported back later than his colleagues due to his participation in Brazil.

He linked up with the squad in Spain earlier in the week and could be involved in Saturday's friendly against Atletico Clube de Portugal in La Cala. Whether his long term future will at The Valley remains to be seen."

As it turned out Ghoochannejhad was not involved against Athletico Clube de Portugal, but it would be unusual if, having posted something as fact, Dr Kish turned out to be wrong. This doesn't mean Reza is staying, but it would suggest that he's not gone yet.
  • Options
    He played at the World Cup and is coming back late. That is my opinion. Don't think he has gone anywhere.