Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Leicester close in on Ben Hamer (ed. GONE)

Comments

• What min are we doing this applause
  • Can't blame the lad. Not many fancying sticking with us. Says it all really.
  • Not bothered by him going one little bit

I'm in this camp. Ok keeper, not great. Yeovil and Brighton have both released keepers better. Also Alnwick is available. I'd rather Morro or Dervite or both stayed.

Good luck though Ben, hope it works out for you.

I know it's not the done thing on CL, but I agree with this.
  • Once players get into the last 6 months of their contract, you have 3 choices

1) hope they'll re-sign on similar terms (e.g. Jacko)
    2) offer them such a good deal that they can't refuse (financial suicide potentially)
    3) Sell them in January (Yann, Dale)

The key is to sort things out before you get to this stage, and if necessary sell them while they still have some value
  • If it were me and i was offered a 4 year contract at a prem club, i would give it 2 mins thought.
  • tommyr said:

If it were me and i was offered a 4 year contract at a prem club, i would give it 2 mins thought.

Don't you mean 1 min 55 secs to make a cup of tea and then 5 secs to think about it.

• Not bothered by him going one little bit

I'm in this camp. Ok keeper, not great. Yeovil and Brighton have both released keepers better. Also Alnwick is available. I'd rather Morro or Dervite or both stayed.

Good luck though Ben, hope it works out for you.

I know it's not the done thing on CL, but I agree with this.
    Anyone know why Brighton released Kuzsczak? Wages? On the face of it he'd be a great signing on a free for someone but I've not seen him week in, week out for Brighton, maybe he's been poor recently.
  • Incidentally I don't have any problem with Ben (or any other player) chasing the money - after all it is a short career and the sums of money between being first choice at a Championship club and a Premier League reserve are massive, and the agents don't earn as much if they convince them to stay and play every week!

I just think it's sad that so much talent trades playing in front of fans every week to buy a flashier car and a bigger house!
  • these days £££ is all the majority of people care about sadly
  • Sponsored links:

• Too much personality for us , he had to go
  • Thanks to Ben. Not a disaster and actually quite excited about Pope starting pre season and being our keeper, a la Kiely, for the next 5 years.
  • Thanks Ben and good luck...cant blame you for making your future secure...just the same as everyone here would if given the opportunity....Hope you get lots of games mate, just remember to have a howler if you play us again :-)
  • edited May 2014
    Hamer is a very good keeper, has served us well, and will play a blinder at Leicester. Nick Pope has done heroics at York, and I'd like him back at the Valley to understudy another excellent keeper for a while. Thuram, anyone? Incidentally, I was hugely impressed by Dillon Phillips in our pre-season friendly at Dartford last summer: a succession of dangerous corners, headed powerfully at point-blank, and Phillips tipped them over the bar. Superb keeper.
  • Why are people acting like it's the clubs fault, we offered him a contract which he turned down to go to a premiership team.

I believe the club acted too late. Ben would of snapped up a new contract had it been offered 6 months ago. cafc knew back then that he was attracting interest from bigger clubs so why let a rare asset leave for nothing?

• Why are people acting like it's the clubs fault, we offered him a contract which he turned down to go to a premiership team.

I believe the club acted too late. Ben would of snapped up a new contract had it been offered 6 months ago. cafc knew back then that he was attracting interest from bigger clubs so why let a rare asset leave for nothing?

6 months ago we were looking league 1 and administration in the face

That's so disappointing but of course six months ago the dynamic duo were still in charge and a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then as the new owner has taken his time to get his head round things for one reason or another. C'est la vie we all move on.
  • Why do people believe Hamer would've signed a contract in January?
  • Hamer is a very good keeper, has served us well, and will play a blinder once in a blue moon at Leicester.

Fixed that for you.

• Sponsored links:

• Incidentally I don't have any problem with Ben (or any other player) chasing the money - after all it is a short career and the sums of money between being first choice at a Championship club and a Premier League reserve are massive, and the agents don't earn as much if they convince them to stay and play every week!

I just think it's sad that so much talent trades playing in front of fans every week to buy a flashier car and a bigger house!

But a lot of these players don't think they're going to be sitting on the bench. They're young, ambitious, confident in their ability and talented. Maybe not Prem standard yet but how will they know unless they test themselves. I agree some players have sat on the bench to pick up money, but think it's unfair to immediately assume that is what Hamer has set out to do and tar all players with the same brush.
  • Why do people believe Hamer would've signed a contract in January?

Because Duchatelet.
  • Leicester could very easily be relegated next season Schmeichel would probably be off and Ben will have the opportunity to be first choice for in the championship at higher wages than we can currently pay.
  • Sorry to be a little off-topic but just saw this on Twitter. Absolutely hilarious.
  • Am i missing something....hes hardly bloddy Peter schmeical ...average championship keeper at best.
  • Good luck Ben, thanks for all you did for CAFC. Shame you will not be here next season but understand you taking extra wages from a promoted club.
  • Gutted, gonna miss the beard, now where is my zz-top album.
  • Gutted, gonna miss the beard, now where is my zz-top album.

Well, Ben won't need no Cheap Sunglasses on the money he'll be on.
  • Good luck to him but never ever a premiership keeper.
  • Nug said:

Incidentally I don't have any problem with Ben (or any other player) chasing the money - after all it is a short career and the sums of money between being first choice at a Championship club and a Premier League reserve are massive, and the agents don't earn as much if they convince them to stay and play every week!

But a lot of these players don't think they're going to be sitting on the bench. They're young, ambitious, confident in their ability and talented. Maybe not Prem standard yet but how will they know unless they test themselves. I agree some players have sat on the bench to pick up money, but think it's unfair to immediately assume that is what Hamer has set out to do and tar all players with the same brush.
    I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't suggesting that the players 'know for sure' they won't be playing but that it ends up like that.

However, I suspect that many of them know there is a good chance they are going to be on the bench and they choose the money irrespective as.