Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Leicester close in on Ben Hamer (ed. GONE)

Comments

• He signed a 3 year deal.

It says 4 years on the OS
  • He signed a 3 year deal.

BBC and elsewhere are saying four?
  • edited May 2014
    Apologies. I got a text from Charlton saying 3. Perhaps it was wrong.
  • Sorry but I don't think he will make it in the prem , struggled a bit for us at times , didn't command the box , shocking distribution at times ,
  • I just can't understand what's going on at our club, it seems to defy logic.
  • Obviously Ben was going to leave when Leicester moved for him, but it is disappointing and painful nonetheless. He was a quality acquisition and, like for like, he'll not be easy to replace without a fee.
    We have lost/are losing the core of the team which won the title. A team which, with a few crucial additions, could have challenged for the top 6 in the Championship.
    Instead the squad was allowed to wither on the vine and now we are harvesting the shrivelled fruit.
    Clearly 90% of the blame for this debacle lies with the former regime, but I'm already getting a little tired at the obvious relish with which RD plays hardball.
    He might remember that some fans may choose to play hardball too.
  • Yeah, unfortunately, none of them are Charlton fans lol
  • Hmm, well he has been a very good servant for us and I wish him all the best but I'm not sure if he is quite Prem quality. I guess Leicester expect to lose Kasper at some point in the future and Hamer can step in after. I wish him all the best but of him, Poyet, Morro and Dervite I think Hamer is the most replaceable. Ben Alnwick back wouldn't be terrible.
  • Hmm, well he has been a very good servant for us and I wish him all the best but I'm not sure if he is quite Prem quality. I guess Leicester expect to lose Kasper at some point in the future and Hamer can step in after. I wish him all the best but of him, Poyet, Morro and Dervite I think Hamer is the most replaceable. Ben Alnwick back wouldn't be terrible.

Yippee, I'm so happy we got no fee for our 26 year old first choice keeper, who's joined the richest premier league club in the midlands.
  • Anyone who doesn't think RD will be fuming at losing a clearly highly rated and theoretically very valuable young goalkeeper for free is kidding themselves. Even if you follow the 'evil asset-stripper' model/theory, he is here to make a profit not watch assets just walk away without a penny coming in!
  • Sponsored links:

• And the blind faith continues unabated. RD must be right, he's rich after all.
  • I'm biased, I know Ben very well and I'm gutted he has moved on. Certainly won us some vital points last season. Premiership footballer now and he'll go there to take Schmeicals place and not to warm the bench. And we let him leave for nothing... Madness
  • Not good.
  • Gutted to lose Ben. I criticised him a few times for not commanding his 6 yard box better, but I have always said he is one of the best passers/distributors of a ball I have seen. Don't underestimate how much that trait itself will be appreciated in a decent, attacking Premiership side. Leicester have the financial muscle to make an impact up there & I am sure Ben will grab any chances he gets and improve himself along the way.

I wish him all the best and thank him for all his efforts over the last 3 seasons. Have a worldy big fella!!
  • Best passing keeper I've ever seen bar none in 50 years watching footy. Criminal we got nothing for him and Dervite.
  • I suddenly started thinking about that fantastic late save against the Wendies in the cup. One of the best I have seen I think.

Good luck Ben. Personally I will miss you and, as others have said, it is a scandal you were allowed to leave on a free.
  • He could land a ball on a 50p from 60 yards.
  • Not bothered by him going one little bit

• Still could have been avoided if they'd tied them all up sooner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ben Alnwick proved BH is easily replaceable, not getting a fee is more disappointing. Wouldn't be surprised if Thuram comes back, but hopefully we all did enough to put him off ever returning to SE7
  • Good luck to him. He seemed a nice guy. Overall though he's not even one of the better keepers in our league. He can be replaced. Certainly no panic over this.
  • Best passing keeper I've ever seen bar none in 50 years watching footy. Criminal we got nothing for him and Dervite.

Never watched much of Pepe Reina then?

If that's what you think then fair in enough, but that is a big statement.

What about a 20p?
  • Why are people acting like it's the clubs fault, we offered him a contract which he turned down to go to a premiership team.

It's a no brainer.

Why are people finding it so hard to understand

The thing that bothers me is how late some of these deals appear to have been offered. Morrison is still waiting on a deal or has been offered one in the past week and the impression I get is that Hamer got a recent offer as well. Roland had the opportunity to offer decent terms to our key players when he took over in January but it seems we've left it late to get deals on the table and by then more attractive deals can be struck with other teams

What about a 20p?
    Now you're just being silly.
  • Why are people acting like it's the clubs fault, we offered him a contract which he turned down to go to a premiership team.

It's a no brainer.

The thing that bothers me is how late some of these deals appear to have been offered. Morrison is still waiting on a deal or has been offered one in the past week and the impression I get is that Hamer got a recent offer as well. Roland had the opportunity to offer decent terms to our key players when he took over in January but it seems we've left it late to get deals on the table and by then more attractive deals can be struck with other teams
    Can't see either of those players playing L1 football again, so considering we didn't know what league we were gonna be in, probably goes some way in telling us why there were no contracts offered back then.

Wiggins signed as he has had injury problems, same with Solly. Jackson signed as he's happy to get a few more years.
  • Not bothered by him going one little bit

I'm in this camp. Ok keeper, not great. Yeovil and Brighton have both released keepers better. Also Alnwick is available. I'd rather Morro or Dervite or both stayed.

Good luck though Ben, hope it works out for you.

• Can we leave this thread with a song I found for Hamer?

It's a no brainer.

Maybe because he didn't want to be paying div 2 wages in div 3, should we have suffered relegation.