Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thuram refuses to travel to Leeds

Comments

• He's better on the Eurostar, a million miles away from charlton.
  • How would Liege do in the Championship? No better than we did last season I’d wager! The Championship is the 4th biggest league in Europe and there are some well resourced clubs to compete with. Did the strength of the league catch RD and his advisers out – I suspect that is the case. It’s a shame as if the Belgian league was a lot stronger – the approach would have worked a treat.

That isn’t to say we can’t escape relegation, and this may give them the opportunity to review their plans.

As for whether Hamer is better than Thuram – it wouldn’t surprise me if Hamer signs for Liege next season. It won’t be a disaster as Pope looks a good bet.
  • Belgian league is a lot weaker. That had been proven with the players we have brought in...
  • Richard J said:

Cedric Evina pulled a similar stunt last July. He was invited to our pre-season training camp in Spain, and failed to turn up at the airport. "My agent has advised me not to go," he said: "Contract negotiations in Dubai." Good old Chris Powell forgave him later - and actually played him in the first team this season.

Outrageous. Cedric Evina: either you are with us, collectively as a squad - or you can go straight to Dubai and ask your precious agent if they'll have you at Hayes & Yeading.

A lot changes in the year I remember at the time it was being rumoured that Evina was linked with Leeds, Reading and Wolves and the consensus on here was that we were going to lose a promising young player , I think that view has changed.I was very disappointed by him when watching the U21's on Monday at Brighton on You Tube.

Chris Powell himself told the Press: Evina was instructed with everyone in the squad to report for the pre-season training camp in Spain. Evina said Yes - and then didn't turn up at the airport. Later: "I haven't got a contract - it's in the hands of my agent in Dubai."

So, there was one place vacant on that vital week before the season kicked off at Bournemouth. Any one of our Under-21s would have leapt at the chance. Evina's arrogant conceit and sheer rudeness towards his manager and team-mates was appalling, and that it why Powell let us know what happened.

It's a measure of Powell's generous good nature that he gave Evina a place in the first-team a few weeks later. As for Evina, now and at the end of this season? Ask his agent in Dubai.

Didn't CP imply that MS and TJ withdrew the offer of a contract to Evina after all sides had agreed it, which was part of the issue. From my recollection this was not as simple a situation, as the Thuram one is.
  • Belgian league is a lot weaker. That had been proven with the players we have brought in...

That has not proved anything. The players we have got are players that Standard Liege don't want. The best Belgians are playing in other countries. They have produced a lot of very good players, so they must be doing something right. Belgium have got a better chance of getting to the latter stages of the World Cup than we have.

• RedChaser said:

I wonder whether we might have given Thuram a go up front!

Should have done, he was better with his feet than his hands.
    It would be interesting to see if he could threaten the other goal for a change!
  • RedChaser said:

I wonder whether we might have given Thuram a go up front!

Should have done, he was better with his feet than his hands.
    It would be interesting to see if he could threaten the other goal for a change!
    If he could have created as much panic in the opposition defence as he did in ours we would have scored shedloads this season, damn.......may have missed a golden opportunity there.
  • dickplumb said:

Belgian league is a lot weaker. That had been proven with the players we have brought in...

That has not proved anything. The players we have got are players that Standard Liege don't want. The best Belgians are playing in other countries. They have produced a lot of very good players, so they must be doing something right. Belgium have got a better chance of getting to the latter stages of the World Cup than we have.

OK, compare the bottom of the Belgian league with the top of The Championship. That's always a good marker.
  • Hi Dominiek, thanks for your views , which team do you support
  • Sponsored links:

• I support KV Kortrijk wich is midtable in the Belgian league
  • Good info Doniniek. Thank you.
  • Fond memories of Kortrijk from my Mini (the car) buying days back in the 80's.....met some lovely people over there. Thanks for your insight Dominiek.
  • Nice one Dominiek, thanks
  • dominiek said:

The Belgian league can't be compared with the championship. Anderlecht, Standard Liege,Club Brugge and Genk wich are the topteams would survive in the championship but midtable would be the highest position for these clubs. I've been following your beautiful club eversince RD took over.
    All players that came over from SL were benchwarmers or not even. Thuram is simply not good enough, AA too slow and never fit,Reza is not physical enough. Players from SL like Vainquer,Mpoku and maybe a few others could suit Charlton very well but it would surprise me to see them move to Charlton. SL plays a more latin style of football and even Batshuayi would struggle in the championship. RD doesn't have a clue, the only thing i can say is that JR is a good coach with a vision. There's one man to blame if Charlton gets relegated and that's RD. With all his money he could have bought some good championship-proved players but it's too late now. A club like Charlton deserves better and i hope from the bottom of my heart that relegation will be avoided.

A Belgian fan

Thanks but astrit and reza who ain't good enough as you say, have been doing very well recently including a goal and an assist last night so not to bad for players that aren't good enough for this league.
  • I can't see Astrit Adaveric being at the club next season. Not convinced about his attitude or future commitment, so I won't get too attached to the player at this point. Despite scoring a good goal. Reza did well yesterday. He did bottle one challenge in the middle but competed much better overall.
  • @vff did you go last night then? If so well done that man it could have been you that made the difference :-)
  • edited April 2014
    Yann897 said:

dominiek said:

The Belgian league can't be compared with the championship. Anderlecht, Standard Liege,Club Brugge and Genk wich are the topteams would survive in the championship but midtable would be the highest position for these clubs. I've been following your beautiful club eversince RD took over.
    All players that came over from SL were benchwarmers or not even. Thuram is simply not good enough, AA too slow and never fit,Reza is not physical enough. Players from SL like Vainquer,Mpoku and maybe a few others could suit Charlton very well but it would surprise me to see them move to Charlton. SL plays a more latin style of football and even Batshuayi would struggle in the championship. RD doesn't have a clue, the only thing i can say is that JR is a good coach with a vision. There's one man to blame if Charlton gets relegated and that's RD. With all his money he could have bought some good championship-proved players but it's too late now. A club like Charlton deserves better and i hope from the bottom of my heart that relegation will be avoided.

A Belgian fan

Thanks but astrit and reza who ain't good enough as you say, have been doing very well recently including a goal and an assist last night so not to bad for players that aren't good enough for this league.
    He said Astrit was too slow and never fit. He's still not finished 90 minutes yet, has he? And Reza's still going down way too easily, though luckily it seems to be getting us a fair number of free kicks so far. It's not their skill levels that are the problem, it's the other aspects of their game that mean they're not best suited for coming in midway through a Championship relegation battle. The only one he said wasn't good enough was Thuran, and I don't think anyone's really arguing with that are they?
  • Well I'm more than happy for them two players coming thanks to rd so I wouldn't be blaming him if we went down .
  • And I'm sure astrit has done 90 mins ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Yann897 said:

And I'm sure astrit has done 90 mins ?

Played the full match against Birmingham and Huddersfield
  • vff said:

Despite scoring a good goal. Reza did well yesterday. He did bottle one challenge in the middle but competed much better overall.

I'm becoming quite a fan of Reza... He admitted after scoring against Leeds that he's struggled to get a handle on the Championship yet is slowly getting there, against Reading and especially against Yeovil he certainly looked more relaxed (after getting the monkey off his back with his goal)...

the more I watch him as well he definitely seems a difficult player to mark as he's forever dropping deep finding space in which to get the ball, he definitely doesnt hide and is always looking to create and do something with it - Of course he bottled the challenge which'll go against him but he has admitted as well he's not that physical type of player
  • Reza is a good player, we have two players who can create something Reza and Astrid.
  • dominiek said:

Thuram is simply not good enough, AA too slow and never fit,Reza is not physical enough.

I can't disagree with any of those statements.

After watching Thuram play, he makes Mike Amman seem World Class.

AA showed yesterday he has no pace at all and seems exhausted after an hour.

Reza'a 60/40 bottle job yesterday supports his lack of physicality.
  • Addickted said:

dominiek said:

Thuram is simply not good enough, AA too slow and never fit,Reza is not physical enough.

I know lets just sign players who cannot trap a bag of cement and can run around all day - No on second thoughts ive had enough of that - ill rather watch Reza and Astrid any day.
  • How would Liege do in the Championship? No better than we did last season I’d wager! The Championship is the 4th biggest league in Europe and there are some well resourced clubs to compete with. Did the strength of the league catch RD and his advisers out – I suspect that is the case. It’s a shame as if the Belgian league was a lot stronger – the approach would have worked a treat.

That isn’t to say we can’t escape relegation, and this may give them the opportunity to review their plans.

As for whether Hamer is better than Thuram – it wouldn’t surprise me if Hamer signs for Liege next season. It won’t be a disaster as Pope looks a good bet.

Put it the other way round.

How would we fare in the Belgian prem.

I guarantee you we wouldn't be top.

So can everyone stop this theory that we are as good as Liege.

We are not!
  • LenGlover said:

Yann897 said:

Well I'm more than happy for them two players coming thanks to rd so I wouldn't be blaming him if we went down .

How are you finding life in SE London Katrien?
    Loving it just shame about few of the people who post on Charlton life that's all x
  • Addickted said:

dominiek said:

I know lets just sign players who cannot trap a bag of cement and can run around all day - No on second thoughts ive had enough of that - ill rather watch Reza and Astrid any day.
    We've always got church ? He's got a lot of energy .
  • dickplumb said:

Belgian league is a lot weaker. That had been proven with the players we have brought in...

I don't get the point about Belgium having a better chance in World Cup than England? This doesn't highlight the strength of the Belgian League because just before that you contradicted yourself by rightly stating the best Belgians play elsewhere?