Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jose Riga 100% support or....?

123457»

Comments

• IAgree said:

dickplumb said:

What choice do we have?

Interesting that already we are getting the " he's the only choice" " who could turn this around" arguments beginning to surface.

Of course there was a choice about who are manager is, this time and every time during the last two years! Of course there are better options out there!
    Yup there are, but we aren't going to get them. It's the same old story, Roly only appoints men he trusts. Which means anyone he doesn't know isn't going to get a look in. Therefore, under the circumstances, Riga is probably the best option. It's a shit situation.
  • IAgree said:

dickplumb said:

What choice do we have?

Interesting that already we are getting the " he's the only choice" " who could turn this around" arguments beginning to surface.

Of course there was a choice about who are manager is, this time and every time during the last two years! Of course there are better options out there!
    Yup there are, but we aren't going to get them. It's the same old story, Roly only appoints men he trusts. Which means anyone he doesn't know isn't going to get a look in. Therefore, under the circumstances, Riga is probably the best option. It's a shit situation.
    Agree with that, Riga is the best of the network types without doubt. Hope I am wrong and that he does do better.
  • After hearing his interview, which he didn't have to do, he could have stayed in the stands and let Wim take the blame, he has 100% support from me. He wants to do his best for our club.
  • No, he has not got 100% support from me. He is a RD stooge and a Belgian puppet. He was lucky last time with the remains of the squad so carefully put together by CP. These players were Charlton through and through- he hasn't got that luxury this time around.
  • After hearing his interview, which he didn't have to do, he could have stayed in the stands and let Wim take the blame, he has 100% support from me. He wants to do his best for our club.

is that confirmed that he was in the stands for the game, rather than in the dug out ?
  • No Rodney, we will judge on results as always, just this result is too soon to judge and it's a pleasant change to have a manager who at least sounds sensible and that he gives a shit.
  • Sorry Neil I don't buy it. This is another network appointment aimed to appease the natives.

Nothing will change over the next ten games but I'll be more than happy if it does.
  • edited January 2016
    The last game Riga had any influence over was Blackpool 0 - Charlton 3. If anyone seriously thinks he could have had any impact on the team, tactics or players in the 36 hours since his appointment is barking. That 6 - 0 sits firmly with the damage done over 18 months by Duchatelet and his flunkys.

Time is running out but seriously let's give him a few days to start having an impact.
  • Sponsored links:

• PL54 said:

After hearing his interview, which he didn't have to do, he could have stayed in the stands and let Wim take the blame, he has 100% support from me. He wants to do his best for our club.

is that confirmed that he was in the stands for the game, rather than in the dug out ?
    He was in the dug out. He said in the interview he could have watched from the stands but that's not how he does things, he wanted to be in the thick of it right from the start.
  • He's in the thick of it alright.
  • Rodders, agree totally it's a native appeasement appointment, just saying at least he has a bit more about him than the last few twats.
  • We have little choice but 100% support. We have to get behind and support the team - and we have to include Riga in that at the moment. He's not exactly had much chance to make an impact, as we can't expect him to do so two days in - and it's likely that he may not get enough improvement for a win by the next game either. I think we will see a team with a lot more confidence though.

On his last stint he did well and it seemed to me that he was able to get on the right wavelength with the team. His background is, if I recall correctly, a system he developed of positive mental attitude in football. Think this has potential for getting the best out of the lads as they seem utterly broken and dejected right now. Much like ourselves. That's the only thing our owner and CEO have achieved very successfully.

We may be able to beat the drop - but it will be both tough and a very close run thing, I think.
  • How would he have known that Williams is nowhere near match fit, or Vetokele, or Johnson is too slow now, same with Jacko. It was up to Euell or Whimm to tell him before naming the team. But he knows now alright. Strange as it seems this thrashing may be more beneficial to us in the long run than one of our normal 3 nil defeats. He now knows the enormity of the task ahead and he'll tonight be thinking about what to do.
  • Doesn't look like he's going to like Makienok much. Blooding an academy boy instead....can't see me winning bet against oohahhmortimer as Makienok needs to score 8 more before the end of the season.

I gave up in that one a while ago to be fair.
  • 100% from me. What's the alternative? Without that, we help to send us down.
  • I want Riga to be a success because I don't want Charlton to go down. He and the team will have my support, not because I have any great faith in their ability to beat the drop, because I genuinely want them to win. I feel that Riga is just about the best coach we can hope for until we can dislodge Duchatelet. With Fraeye, I wanted him out from the start because his was a joke appointment even by Duchatelet's standards.
  • 100% support from me, the Hull game was always going to be a write off. It would have been nice to keep the score down but Riga was never going to be able to get his ideas across in such a short space of time.

Our season starts next week and we need to start getting points straight away. Unbelievably we're not too far behind a few clubs, there's going to be a couple of very poor sides stay up this year imo.
  • Complete support from me. That wasn't his team. It makes me seriously wonder about the staff he has inherited though...

That said, a performance and result is a must next weekend. If I were Jose I'd have the players in tomorrow for a lengthy briefing, and then two-a-days Monday-Thursday. Don't let them stew on the past few results and performances, get them together, working on fitness, tactics, and getting (re)-familiarized with each other.

Thought it was good to bring Umerah on. Not ideal time to make a debut, but sod it, why not? He seems a decent player to me, and he might bring some much needed physicality up front. As we saw with Lookie earlier, sometimes throwing youngsters in at this time can work for you, as they play on adrenaline and without fear for the first few matches. Not a long-term solution mind, but we could use everything we can get.
  • Sponsored links:

• The reality is he's most likely the best of a bad bunch that RD will ever employ. Probably won't get better then this.