Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jose Riga 100% support or....?

Comments

• All this leads me to think what is a 'chance', what is a fair crack of the whip, what is a decent amount of time? The club itself published that a new manager is there to face the immediate upcoming fixtures, and to escape relegation, does that constitute the 'chance' offered by Roland?
    I will start on 0% and give credit when it is due, I don't see Riga as Charlton's manager, he now manages Standard Liege feeder club so he does not automatically deserve backing because he manages Charlton Athletic.as he doesn't.
    If he delivers a win tonight my personal attitude is that he will go from 0% to 5%, and if we lose to Millwall he will go from 5% to -5%.
    He gets his chance tonight to start to implement his scientific experiment with Standard Liege reserves, and if he does well it will benefit Standard Liege first team, he will be happy to be rewarded with a few crumbs from the Standard Liege table.
    Others may see my attitude as disloyal, I see my attitude as loyal to Charlton.
    It will start to become clear tonight to what degree Riga is a yes man/poodle/puppet. Choice of goalkeeper will be a signal.
  • 100%.

Start with 0% and it's hello League One.
  • Depends what team starts at Huddersfield, if he is a puppet than its 0 respect from me
  • seth plum said:

All this leads me to think what is a 'chance', what is a fair crack of the whip, what is a decent amount of time? The club itself published that a new manager is there to face the immediate upcoming fixtures, and to escape relegation, does that constitute the 'chance' offered by Roland?
    I will start on 0% and give credit when it is due, I don't see Riga as Charlton's manager, he now manages Standard Liege feeder club so he does not automatically deserve backing because he manages Charlton Athletic.as he doesn't.
    If he delivers a win tonight my personal attitude is that he will go from 0% to 5%, and if we lose to Millwall he will go from 5% to -5%.
    He gets his chance tonight to start to implement his scientific experiment with Standard Liege reserves, and if he does well it will benefit Standard Liege first team, he will be happy to be rewarded with a few crumbs from the Standard Liege table.
    It will start to become clear tonight to what degree Riga is a yes man/poodle/puppet. Choice of goalkeeper will be a signal.

5% ? So if he wins 20 games on the trot he'll have your 100% support?
    Wow, you're not asking for much!
  • 100% at first but he will get no slack when things go wrong and they will, whether that is tonight, Saturday or next week, they will go wrong. Unlike SCP who had earned his support and respect, the fans will rip him apart if he is just a puppet controlled by RD. Good luck to him, he does need it, we need it.
  • I will support him as its not his fault just feel very uneasy still about here we are going.
  • This is my Club for life, and he is our manager/coach. Easy decision, 100% support.
  • As said, who he picks in goal over the next few games will have a big influence on people's acceptance and views on him I think. Will be interesting.
  • I am sad CP has gone, but not surprised. The new Manager has a more impressive cv than CP did when he arrived and on paper at least looks capable. Whether this translates into the Championship remains to be seen.He has my 100 % support. I may revise this down the line.

A few points - Get rid of the fractured banner! Hardly promoting 100% support. You may as well have displayed the same when CP was in charge - there were a fair few who did not like him as Manger.

Not agreeing with sacking CP does not entail hating the new bloke.

Some of the reactions are a tad OTT, I keep expecting to see David Essex as Che singing " on what a circus"..... life, and this great Club will go on.
  • I support Charlton Athletic. I have supported them for nearly 50 years and I will continue to support them until the day I die.

When Southampton FC sacked Nigel Adkins and replaced him with Maurico Pochettino there was a similar reaction from the Saints fans. How quickly their views changed when the new man proved to be a success.

What was clear that the football under Chris Powell wasn't working and we almost certainly would have been relegated if nothing was done. Something had to change and maybe just maybe Jose Riga is the man to turn things around.

Three games in the next week are critical for the teams survival. On paper they are all winnable and we all need to support the team and importantly get behind the manager. Tonight the fans to play their part. We all need to pull together and support the club and importantly give Jose Riga a chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

All this leads me to think what is a 'chance', what is a fair crack of the whip, what is a decent amount of time? The club itself published that a new manager is there to face the immediate upcoming fixtures, and to escape relegation, does that constitute the 'chance' offered by Roland?

good to know you've slept on it.
  • Support from me for the club.Managers and owners come and go , as do players.
  • Like the new banner
    whichever cock in a bun is informing him on players

Is this a normal phrase?

Anyway zip support from me. Seems like a roving flunkey for Roly's empire.
  • If he starts with Churchy up front on his own and Jordan Cousins on the right its a 0% from me, so it is all about the team selection tonight to a degree...
  • Got to support Riga, not his fault CP got pushed out, and whether or not he is a yes man remains to be seen. Whoever had come in there would be doubts from some people because they have already made their minds up (as usual) - and in fairness in this case with no little evidence to back that opinion up. But 100% support it has to be for the sake of the club.

The main worry for me is that, once Roly has got bored, what will be left of this club?

The main worry for me is that, once Roly has got bored, what will be left of this club?
    I think we all agree on that, but giving the new manager stick from day one isn't going to help change that in any way shape or form, is it?
  • Got to support Riga, not his fault CP got pushed out, and whether or not he is a yes man remains to be seen. Whoever had come in there would be doubts from some people because they have already made their minds up (as usual) - and in fairness in this case with no little evidence to back that opinion up. But 100% support it has to be for the sake of the club.

Totally agree
  • edited March 2014

I support Charlton Athletic. I have supported them for nearly 50 years and I will continue to support them until the day I die.

When Southampton FC sacked Nigel Adkins and replaced him with Maurico Pochettino there was a similar reaction from the Saints fans. How quickly their views changed when the new man proved to be a success.

What was clear that the football under Chris Powell wasn't working and we almost certainly would have been relegated if nothing was done. Something had to change and maybe just maybe Jose Riga is the man to turn things around.

Three games in the next week are critical for the teams survival. On paper they are all winnable and we all need to support the team and importantly get behind the manager. Tonight the fans to play their part. We all need to pull together and support the club and importantly give Jose Riga a chance.

But it's really not about that - like you say, football is a fickle sport and Southampton fans got over the replacement very quickly. What I think a lot of people are most angry about is that we now have an owner who dictates to the manager who must play. How can anyone see that as a positive development?

I'm very disappointed Powell is gone, and hope he will one day be our manager again, but he was always going to leave some day, that's the nature of football. What is most worrying is the direction we are taking as a club. I don't want to be part of it.
  • edited March 2014

Got to support Riga, not his fault CP got pushed out, and whether or not he is a yes man remains to be seen. Whoever had come in there would be doubts from some people because they have already made their minds up (as usual) - and in fairness in this case with no little evidence to back that opinion up. But 100% support it has to be for the sake of the club.

It is more than a safe assumtion to assume this guy will be a yes man, we have just sacked a manager because he wouldn't play who the owner wanted. Who have we got to replace that manager? Someone known to the owner, who was a manager previously at another of his clubs, and who has zero experience of English football. You think we have him because he was the best candidate available to get us out of a relegation scrap? Clearly not.

It is fact that Powell was told who to play and then sacked when he didn't, and it completely backs up the previous Standard manager who said that our owner doesn't want a manager but a puppet. Why would it be any different here? Some people seem to be OK with that arrangement, but there are plenty who are not.

The guy sacks managers who don't do what he says. It's hapenned at his other clubs, it's hapenned here, and no doubt if Riga suddenly goes against that it will happen again. Here's an interesting quote from the ex-manager of Standard:

The day after I arrived, Duchatelet said to me: "You don't know the team yet, here's the starting 11". I took the paper and ripped it up in front of him. From then on I knew he would sack me whenever had even the slightest opportunity......

http://www.rtl.be/sport/football/footballbelgique/261672/mircea-rednic-regle-ses-comptes-avec-duchatelet-et-le-standard
  • Sponsored links:

I think we all agree on that, but giving the new manager stick from day one isn't going to help change that in any way shape or form, is it?
    It wouldn't.

However, it feels as if whatever happens in the short term will have little or no effect on where we eventually end up. If this set up turns out to be what some people are suggesting, it would be very hard for me to really engage with it.
  • edited March 2014
    I'll decide tonight.

If he goes with something like:

------------Hamer
    Wilson---Morrison---Wood---Wiggins
    Green---Ajderavic---Poyet---Harriott
    --------Ghooch--Tudgay

I'd be reasonably happy as you can then bring in Cousins as AA tires and we'll actually be attacking...

However I expect something disjointed and slow but maybe more passing?

------------Thuram
    Nego---Morrison---Wood---Wiggins
    Green---Poyet---Jackson---Koc
    ------------Ajderavic
    -----------Ghooch
  • Attacking with Green & Tudgay...............lol
  • Well you could say that about all of our team eaststandmike!
  • 100% support, it goes without saying.

UTA!
  • 100% - always will be.

COYR
  • Dazzler21 said:

Well you could say that about all of our team eaststandmike!

You could I quite agree, we needed some quality in via the loan window but it looks as if that will not happen now.
  • edited March 2014
    Any decent manager who doesn't know the players would let Peacock pick the team. I suspect he has been given a sheet with at least 3 names he has to start with, possibly more.

Although, If I was a cynic, he may have been watching videos and receiving reports about us for quite a while!
  • Riga was probably at Bramell Lane on Sunday, if not he would have been watching on TV, plus he will have watched DVD's of some of our games. This guy has been in the frame to take over for a while now, there is no way this all happened yesterday when CP was sacked.