Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jose Riga 100% support or....?

Comments

• Good managers learn more from the defeats.

Bounce back ability is crucial in relegation battles as a bad run now will relegate you. He seems calm and in control despite the weekends result. We need calm heads on and off the pitch if we are to survive.
  • Anyone read his post-match comments? There's some good stuff about the tactics employed but also I thought this was a very interesting admission: 'I also knew that we don’t have a player who is able to score on his own. We have to do it as a team and I very proud of what they have done'. Bit of a strange one to admit publicly that our strikers can't change games but at least he's spotted it. Must say, I also like being kept informed of the direction the team is taking.
  • Anyone read his post-match comments? There's some good stuff about the tactics employed but also I thought this was a very interesting admission: 'I also knew that we don’t have a player who is able to score on his own. We have to do it as a team and I very proud of what they have done'. Bit of a strange one to admit publicly that our strikers can't change games but at least he's spotted it. Must say, I also like being kept informed of the direction the team is taking.

I quite liked his laid back attitude (i.e. making a joke about the coach being late)

Hopefully he's sending a hidden message to his Strikers saying that the position up front is still anyones to play for so if they can start scoring its theirs

I suspect that some of what he meant was probably lost in the translation. I think he was saying we don’t have a player who can score out of nothing which is hardly a front page revelation. And he was using this fact to emphasise the strength of the team – so that every goal we score is a team goal.
  • Richard J said:

As a rule I do not agree with sacking managers mid season. I also liked Chris Powell as a player and believe that in the main his 3 years were broadly successful . Although not a Curbs,Bailey or Lawrence he wasn't a Dowie,Pardew or Reed either.This season though it has felt a lot harder and some of his tactical decisions and selections have been baffling .

Similar to the mood surrounding Parky after the Swindon game I had a feeling walking away from Bramall Lane that we had just witnessed Chris's last game in charge.Although I have nothing but admiration and was one of those who added 'Sir' to his name I accepted that it had run its course . I always take the view in these circumstances the King is dead,long live the King. I support Charlton not an individual.

My scepticism about Riga was mainly that he had no track record in English football and I was worried by some of the rumours regarding who picks the team particularly that there had been an owner instruction at Sheffield to play Thuram in front of Hamer. I think the fact that Ben has exclusively featured under Riga subsequently puts that one to bed.

It is so far so good and I believe Jose has made a positive difference,the quality of football has in my view been better . We will never know for sure ,but I do not believe we would have got 8 points out of the 5 games under Powell.

If Jose keeps us up I will look forward to next season and think we will aspire to be high mid table / play offs .

Excellent post as per usual Richard.

My feelings on the whole situation as well.
  • I also think Jose had an epiphany regarding Simon Church after the Burnley game. You could hear it in his Burnley post match comments. I think that's what he meant when yesterday he referred to not having a player who can score on his own and I believe that was why Churchy wasn't even in the squad yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob said:

I also think Jose had an epiphany regarding Simon Church after the Burnley game. You could hear it in his Burnley post match
    comments. I think that's what he meant when yesterday he referred to not having a player who can score on his own and I believe that was why Churchy wasn't even in the squad yesterday.

Totally agree Rob. I noticed a tone of frustration in his voice when commenting on Chuches miss. Will we seesee Church in a Charlton shirt again?
  • I will never ever agree with the decision to sack CP however well Riga does but as others have said its not Rigas fault Powell got sacked and as long Riga gives it his all then 100% support from me!

He has had a good start which I think was massively needed otherwise fans would be on his back straight away!
  • Will we seesee Church in a Charlton shirt again?

Hopefully no!
  • i ll be honest ...i dont really care the Cp has gone ...even in the heady days of our promotion with the record points and it all looking Rosey with MS and TJ I had my doubts ...however he was our manager and i backed him 100% the way i will back JR ..JR will get my 100% backing the way i have backed my team through thick and thin for the last 50 years

cmon JR ! cmon you Reds we are looking up now not down !
  • I like Riga, but the jury's still out for me as to whether he's the right man for us. Players seem to like him and he has a different style to Powell, but time will tell if that will really translate into better results and performances than our departed manager might have achieved. Riga's recent comments about the shortfalls in the squad are spot on - if only we'd been able to see what Powell could have done with better players. Anyway, not Riga's concern, but...

Forest have the worst form in the division - they didn't sack Davies for no reason - and Huddersfield and Millwall haven't exactly been setting the world alight. The one team of decent form we've faced stuck three goals past us with no reply, and the hoofball was much in evidence there, as well as some of the most bizarre substitutions I've seen in my time following Charlton. Riga's also had the added benefits of Jonathan Obika playing and Astrit and Reza getting fitter.

I'm also mindful that teams tend to play better football as their confidence rises. Ours is brittle at the moment, but definitely on the upward trend as we've climbed out of the relegation zone and are getting results.

That said, the results speak for themselves and we're getting the points when we need them. Personally I think if we get at least 3 points from our games in hand and avoid defeat to Yeovil or Barnsley, we'll be ok - especially with our goal difference. Otherwise it will go to the wire, and the ability to score goals will undoubtedly be significant then.
  • edited March 2014
    Dazzler21 said:

Sadly so.

My support of this manager purely depends on selection and tactics over the next 2 games. I don't think you can hold him to just 1 game. At the moment I am 50/50.
    After tonight if he goes for all Thuram-Ulien etc and wins my view will go 55/45 in support or loses... I'm not sure.

If he goes with a the clearly stronger players I'll go 60/40 in support if we win or maintain 50/50 if we lose.

I am accepting of him coming in, but I won't easily be led to believe he is better than what we had without a serious improvement in results... FAST.

It's fair to say, I appreciate the changes so far.
    He has us playing less panicky, that is a plus. Maybe he just has the experience Powell will gain.

For now he has my support 100%. I didn't expect 2 draws and 2 wins from his first five games.

an average of 1.875 pts a game. (I expect this to drop)

Up until Riga time we had averaged 1.11 pts per game this season or 27 points from 30 games.

In Powell's entire time as manager we averaged 1.49 Pts per game, no mean feat looking at this season and his first half a season.

• So far, so good. P5 W2 D2 and L1 is quite OK and to be out of the drop zone with three games in hand is quite OK. Whether he is here for the long haul is anyone's guess. I wonder if he has strong enough links with Milan to perhaps blood some of their younger promissing players or whether Mourinho will remember him sufficiently to fast track some of the Chelsea fringe players in our direction?

100% from me.
  • I will never ever agree with the decision to sack CP however well Riga does but as others have said its not Rigas fault Powell got sacked and as long Riga gives it his all then 100% support from me!

He has had a good start which I think was massively needed otherwise fans would be on his back straight away!

Pretty much this for me. Glad that Dyer has been retained to minimise the disruption. So far, other than some of his non-enforced subs, which have been a bit too gung ho for me at times (Burnley), I think he's made a solid start and we have a good chance of staying up whilst playing pretty good football on the whole.
  • Like everyone else I was sorry to see CP go but that isn't Riga's fault and like every other manager he will be judged on results and so far they are pretty good. His job is to keep us in the Championship and at the moment he looks like doing that - 100% support from me.
  • Frankly we were heading one way two months ago (not just my view, it was the general view on here). So frankly Riga should have everyone's support. Good luck Powell in the future but for whatever reason he didn't have us playing the football SJR does (that is a joke before anyone gets their knickers in a twist).....

• Sponsored links:

• Rob said:

I also think Jose had an epiphany regarding Simon Church after the Burnley game. You could hear it in his Burnley post match comments. I think that's what he meant when yesterday he referred to not having a player who can score on his own and I believe that was why Churchy wasn't even in the squad yesterday.

A good time to have an epiphany - any more of Church's reign of terror and we're done for. I am sure Jose wanted to give him a chance, but thankfully for us, he didn't fluke a goal, so hopefully we've seen the back of him.
  • Rob said:

I also think Jose had an epiphany regarding Simon Church after the Burnley game. You could hear it in his Burnley post match comments. I think that's what he meant when yesterday he referred to not having a player who can score on his own and I believe that was why Churchy wasn't even in the squad yesterday.

Agreed. I thought that was what he meant at the time & I'm certain it was now.

Mind you he is trying to do something about it, rather than just carry on every game playing Church up front by himself.
  • I am sure it was established that Church picked up a slight injury; in much the same way as Harriott went off because he was injured and not because of a 'bold substitution.'
  • Frankly we were heading one way two months ago (not just my view, it was the general view on here).

Bit of re-writing history here I think Damo. May have been the view of those shouting loudest, but to say it was the general view is a bit of an exaggeration. And the biggest concern was about the need to strengthen the squad, especially up front, and that hasn't entirely gone away, although I'm hopeful Obika's arrival will help.
  • aliwibble said:

Frankly we were heading one way two months ago (not just my view, it was the general view on here).

Bit of re-writing history here I think Damo. May have been the view of those shouting loudest, but to say it was the general view is a bit of an exaggeration. And the biggest concern was about the need to strengthen the squad, especially up front, and that hasn't entirely gone away, although I'm hopeful Obika's arrival will help.
    Agree. And heaven knows, CP would agree with your final remark!

• Ridiculous to label people loudmouth numbskulls because they didn't like CP as a manager and comment the football unless you have seen it? Tell me what the weather is like where you are and I will moan about it!

When we won it was because he was a great manager. When we lost it was a poor team / financial constraints and nothing to do with CP!

Well news flash - this is a mainly terrible collection of players and a poor team and that is not much of a legacy to saddle CP with! He stabilised us and got us up - that is his legacy.

Any manager would struggle with this lot at the moment and, so far, JR is doing pretty well given the circumstances, who he is following and how he was appointed. He is clearly getting to know the team and it is too early to say how it pans out longer term.

All I know is that our team has a much better chance of staying up than two months ago and some of the new players and the new manager are having some sort of positive effect.

Save your sour grapes expression of support.

• edited March 2014
    dickplumb said:

seth plum said:

He starts at 0% support from me. He has to deliver and the percentage can then grow.
    Maybe that is a better approach than 100% that then might decline.

I really can't get my head around your attitude Seth. He is the Charlton manager you are a Charlton fan, so in my book you give him 100 per cent support. Or is it only Powell who gets 100 per cent? It is not Riga's fault that Charlton Life's darling Chris Powell was sacked.
    As I have said before I shall carry on supporting Charlton, starting tonight and I hope other Charlton supporters do the same, or do you really want relegation because it will make you feel better about Powell going?

As much as I will revel in any success he brings, I just can't see myself getting watery eyed if he is held aloft by the players. Not to sound awkward :) but Powell has touched me like no other person we've had at our club in the 35+ years I've been coming to watch the Addicks. 100% support from me, BUT he's not Chris Powell and is unlikely to ever reach SJR status!

In the modern day world of professional football where the average tenure of a manager is just 11 months it is advisable not to get emotionally attached to a manager. Chances are he will get the tin tack or take 20 pieces of silver within the the lifespan of a hamster.
  • As much as I will revel in any success he brings, I just can't see myself getting watery eyed if he is held aloft by the players. Not to sound awkward :) but Powell has touched me like no other person we've had at our club in the 35+ years I've been coming to watch the Addicks. 100% support from me, BUT he's not Chris Powell and is unlikely to ever reach SJR status!

Really find this odd, we have had numerous ex players manage our club, some successful and taken us to promotion, some less successful but still led us through exciting times, some total disasters and we couldn't wait for them to pack their bags.
    Managers come and go, that's football, I will always have a fondness for Chris as a player and a respect for him as a manager, for the most part at least.
    But what would you be saying if at the end of this season he was approached by Tottenham ( who he supports ) and decided to leave us ? Times change and things move on, for the club to survive we have to move with them.

Today (allegedly) Chris Powell has been coaching England U18's, lets hope its the start of a new and exciting chapter in his life.