Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Season-ticket strike to bring the owner to the table

Comments

• timken said:

Anyone who buys a season ticket for next year is insane.

No need for comments like this. I won't be renewing next year. I have explained my reasons for this but it breaks my heart to feel the way I do about the club I've supported my entire life. To criticise anyone who does renew is childish in my view
  • timken said:

Je suis insane :-)
  • timken said:

No need for comments like this. I won't be renewing next year. I have explained my reasons for this but it breaks my heart to feel the way I do about the club I've supported my entire life. To criticise anyone who does renew is childish in my view
    Agree, it's a purely personal decision. And just as having a season ticket doesn't make you a better fan, not having one doesn't make you a worse one.
  • timken said:

bolox
  • LenGlover said:

Rob said:

I think it's too early to do any sort of protest like boycotting season tickets. I think at this time it will do more harm than good to the club.

I prefer to wait to see how the rest of the season and the close season goes.

I just hope this isn't being driven because the owners are foreign but I have my doubts.

Absolutely right.

Hans Jeppson, Stuart Leary, Eddie Firmani, John Hewie, Radostin Kishishev, Jorge Costa et al all detested by the fans because they are foreign.

There's a difference between foreign players and foreign owners though. We've never had foreign owners have we?

It was an observation I was making because I believe we could be conditioned to have less margin for error with foreign owners. We are a predominantly working class South London team steeped in the traditions of English football. I think having foreign owners is new and we, psychologically, have less tolerance.

I don't think it's a bizarre observation at all. But, that's all it is - an observation and possible discussion point.
  • They could have been born and bred on Floyd Road and I'd still want them out. Makes no difference to me whatsoever where they come from.
  • I think that some people dislike or don't trust the owners because of their actions.

For most their nationality is irrelevant but a few express their unhappiness by saying "bloody Belgians" etc etc.

Some because they are inarticulate and don't realise what they are saying and a very few because they are xenophobic and so don't realise that RD's nationality has nothing to do with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can people explain their reason for needing a season ticket in the current climate.
    Is it because you like your seat and don't want to lose it?
    You plan on going to every game and will save yourself a packet?
    You want to show the club you care and like the idea of them having a few extra quid to spend in the summer?

Not a judgemental question.I'm curious.
  • Can people explain their reason for needing a season ticket in the current climate.
    You want to show the club you care and like the idea of them having a few extra quid to spend in the summer?

So I have my regular seat, I save money and avoid the hassle of buying game by game.

And yes I'll be going to every, or nearly every, home game.

Nothing to do with showing then club I care. I don't need external validation for my support.

I may even buy another five year ticket depending on the deal and if they don't take the piss with the refund owing. That also gives me priority for away tickets but valley gold and a ST will most likely be enough.
  • I kept my season ticket up for all these years because after nearly 20 years with one, I got quite attached to my seat :smile:
  • Very very flimsy reasoning on behalf of some to get a season ticket.
    1/I like my seat-12000 empty most games so probably no problem to buy yours[or very near yours ]on the day.
    2/I like going with my mates etc etc .Go along and buy a ticket there are plenty available.

Reasons for not getting a season ticket.--You dont feel obliged to go as you have already paid.
    You are not giving the dipicable new multi millionare owner a free loan .That is effectively what it is.
    What other commodity would you pay in advance for despite not knowing the quality of the product for a whiole year.As I said earlier with things as they are it is insane to buy a season ticket for next year as all it does is strengthen RD s hand to abuse this club and rip the heart out.
    It is the fault of everyone who renews their season ticket that this is allowed to go on.
  • Having the ST ensures I go. Without it Id have stopped by now this season! And I like my seat.
  • seth plum said:

Is there, can there be, such a thing as an 'anti-fan'?
    By that I mean you go to matches (get a season ticket even) and your intention is to subvert, criticise, negate, undermine, put down, ridicule and abuse (legally) and to try to encourage others to be present and do the same thing, to be audibly and visually anti the team and anti the club before during and after matches.
    Not turning your back on the club, but shouting your derision, and distain at every opportunity. I would say that such a fan ought to behave within the law, and ground regulations, but the motivation would be 'lets not get behind the boys, but yet make some noise'.
    You could construct an argument that such a fan, at this moment in time, is a true fan of Charlton Athletic.

LOL. I've had people like that around me for the last 53 years

• I go most games so save money having one and it's less hassle than buying one on the day each time. That said, I am 50/50 on renewing at the moment.
  • seth plum said:

By that I mean you go to matches (get a season ticket even) and your intention is to subvert, criticise, negate, undermine, put down, ridicule and abuse (legally) and to try to encourage others to be present and do the same thing, to be audibly and visually anti the team and anti the club before during and after matches.
    Not turning your back on the club, but shouting your derision, and distain at every opportunity. I would say that such a fan ought to behave within the law, and ground regulations, but the motivation would be 'lets not get behind the boys, but yet make some noise'.
    You could construct an argument that such a fan, at this moment in time, is a true fan of Charlton Athletic.

Yes Seth, the above are known as away fans.

I like having a season ticket so I don't have to worry about finding the money for tickets match by match. I get an annual bonus from work roughly the same time of year they go on sale which takes care of the cost for me. After that it's just finding the money to go to away games.

I only usually miss 1 or 2 home games a season at most but to be honest i'm probably in the minority here but the club selling cheap tickets to boost crowds doesn't bother me. I don't get the calculator out and work out if it would have been cheaper for me to go match by match. My ST costs me £285 for this season and if I wanted to get it as cheap as possible i'd have taken a £150 ticket.

I'll be renewing again, and have been since 1998.
  • Sponsored links:

• I love my seat and don't want to lose it. I aim to go to every game, so it should work out cheaper. No, I don't feel any sense of altruism to the ageing tycoon whose only interest in our Club is making money.
  • My apathy has reached a point where yesterday I didn't even find out the score until 9pm for an away game ibdidnt go to. usually I'd listen or follow the thread and kick every ball, but I just couldn't be bothered, thanks Roland!
  • wow twiggy that is apathy.After 48 years supporting charlton I still HAVE TO KNOW THE SCORE.immediately or I cant settle at all.
  • seth plum said:

Wow. What a philosophy. If everyone did this as a means for the Trust to buy the club, then it could be an option. With no clear purpose it seems like suicide.

I have had my seat in the East Stand since the day the stand opened and I've grown attached to it.
    I plan on going to every game so it is more cost effective, especially if bought early.
    It saves he hassle of purchasing game by games especially as there are five of us that sit together.

• timken said:

For me, this comment ranks alongside "You're not proper Chalron if you don't renew"............
  • vff said:

It was on a thread on Into the Valley where Lazio supporters protested at an owners lack of investment by staying away for a game. It looked impressive. Duchatelet only appeared to invest at Liege after large protests from Liege supporters.

I have already decided not to renew until I see evidence in the Summer to see that Duchatelet is going to run Charlton as a serious football club. That was not dependent on the Coach that RD had decided to pick for the club. It was clear to me that CP was not going to prosper under RD and his time was limited. RD should have had the decency to do this in January.

The timings of all Duchatelet’s strategic decisions are very poor so far.

Wellwickman
    Replacing CP was the one good decision to date. Ensured we survived in the SBC.
    Since then it's been embarrassing. At least we should see Jose at the pre-season friendly. The covered end have virtually thrown in the towel and who can blame them.

• anyone who buys a season ticket while this is going on is insane and enabling RD to fuck us over .DO NOT RENEW IF YOU LOVE THIS CLUB