Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Powell Sacked - CONFIRMED

Comments

• We are just a feeder club we are just a feeder club. Roland's toy, Chris Powell is a legend. You will never see anymore youth players come through our ranks when the foreign legion arrive. Solly will be gone soon as will poyet and cousins and Harriot. Powell gave those boys a chance.......
  • Derek1952 said:

How will players react at tomorrow,s game I wonder?

More to the point which players will be playing? If Cawley is correct and the reason CP has gone is because he would not play RD's players who will pick tomorrows team and who will be selected.?
    Least no Simon Church.
  • It gets worse and worse. Powell has definately been forced out of the club and looks like Roland was trying to manage the team himself after all! Our club is a joke ATM and bringing in an unknown manager who he sacked before what?! Is this bloke for real? The players and fans loved Powell, the majority have got a couple months left on their contracts and probably won't be renewed where is the motivation going to come from? Sad sad day to be a charlton fan.
  • If you were Roland and you had spent £20 million pounds what would you have done?

The football being played under Chris Powell is terrible. 6 wins all season and bottom of the division. We rarely win a home game, we rarely score a goal and often we struggle to even have a shot on goal. This season we have won 6 games out of 30. To avoid relegation we probably need to win another 6 games out of 16.

In many peoples opinion Chris Powell has continued to make mistakes, and these mistakes have certainly cost us points. Sunday was exactly the same. A negative piss poor performance, with only one shot on target.

I like Chris Powell as a bloke, but I think it is time that we had a change of manager. With Chris at the helm relegation is a certainty, changing the manager may just make a difference.
  • Sad.

Jams called it last night:

I am not in the know, I am just passing along what I have heard - that Powell has been sacked and it will be announced tomorrow.

Oh how I wish I was wrong :( Chris deserves so much better than the shambles we have become - he was the one holding it all together in my opinion. Will the out of contract players really put the same level of effort in for a foreign coach no one has heard of, rather than a man that is Charlton through and through and an immensely respected pro?

We may well have already been on the way to league 1 but this has confirmed it. At least Chris knew what was needed (as proved by the two seasons where he had some form of backing), I highly doubt whoever we get in will.

Gutted.
  • red_murph said:
    I know what you mean but the truth is that it doesn't matter anyway!
  • Nail in our coffin I think. Gutted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone know anything regarding back-room staff?

Some might scoff, but for tomorrows visit of Huddersfield (assuming a new broom hasn't been put in the cupboard by then) I'd hand the reigns over to Andy Hughes..............
  • like most of us very upset that we have lost our Chris and possible our Charlton.

I hope he was "sacked" rather than through a "confidential agreement" as with the former he is free to say what he likes, with the latter he is muzzled.

For whatever reason we are bottom and games in hand are only beneficial if they are not lost and at present we are loosing too many games so, for what ever reason, I would expect that we faced relegation with CP. Now without him there might be a slight hope that we won't. Then the new regime will have the summer to rebuild for next season and I wonder how many here will rue this day if we are fighting at the other end of the table in 12 months time?

Yes it is still Charlton but it will never be "My Charlton" again and for that I shed tear.

Good luck Mr Powell, you are a good man and I'm sure in time you will go on to better than this SE London field that is now forever foreign.
  • Gutted and deflated. Quite honestly we deserve to be relegated now and I almost don't care. This is totally bullsh*t and quite easily the lowest point in my 25 years of following the addicks.
  • I accepted the mistakes from the board that Charlton sold the likes of Stephens and Kermo. I accepted the mistakes of failing to replace them properly. What I can't accept is sacking a man who has done wonders for the club throughout his career without backing him financially. Outrageous.
  • As much as some are moaning about this season, sky are showing SCP win rate at Charlton as over 40%. How many managers can say that in a club doing so badly this season??
  • Not surprised, Powell has looked like a rabbit in the headlights for a few months now. The club has been in turmoil and I don't know many managers that would have coped. Yes he made wrong decisions regarding tactics, but in so many ways his hands were tied. He will have learnt a lot from the experience and will be stronger for it.

So to the future, who knows how things will develop under Roland, I am long enough in the tooth to remember several relegations, bankruptcies, ground sharing and a lot of woeful players and managers and I will judge in a year or so, instant fixes rarely work.

In the end it is my club and yours and Charlton will still be there in the future in some guise or another and I will always support them.
  • It certainly is true, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR, we all wanted M.S and Co, out.
  • I can not tell you how fuming I am. The club are not getting another penny from me. I wish there was a way I could tell these f*cking idiots what I thought. Ripping the heart out of our club!!!!
  • All this talk of a 'change of manager will do us good' is a little worrying. I can't see it being the case in this situation.

The new manager WILL play Roland's network players to suit Roland. He won't necessarily play our best team that we as fans all know includes the likes of Hamer, Jackson and Wilson. Instead he will play the likes of Nego and Thuram.

Is that what we want? A team made up of loans who don't have a connection to the club? The last time that happened we were relegated from the Championship.
  • Sponsored links:

• we all wanted new owners and now we will just be a feeder club
  • Thank you Chris, you have us the passion and soul out club had been missing for years. For that I will always be great full. I am gutted that hard work has now been lost
  • Firstly shocked and dismayed Chris has gone, thought he would have been here until at least the end of season.
    However many people, including myself, have been relying (hoping) on the games in hand. We have nine games in April, many on a pitch that probably cant cope, with a team that cannot score and a squad that is weak in many areas. I think If Chris stayed we would have probably faded away into relegation.
    I can reluctantly understand why RD has decided to change things. But Now its time for RD to show his true metal as it all comes down to the quality of the replacement. We need someone who can inspire and motivate an average team, will be properly backed sufficiently to sort out our squad deficiencies in the loan market and not just SL rejects, and who can give some hope and inspiration to us the supporters.
    Personally cant see it happening, as we will probably get some Belgian non entity, so as far as Im concerned were doomed, doomed I tell you.
  • Firstly good luck Chris you are an honest man.

Way this is going buy a season ticket for £150 in east stand & sit anywhere you like.

We lost Charlton when this arsehole bought us, all he wants is yes men/women the blokes a complete & utter tosser.
  • red_murph said:

Absolute disgrace. If I had a season ticket i would be burning it...
  • Still no anoucement on OS.
  • To be honest, I've been dreading this moment for a while now. What crap timing by our new owner and his bunch of muppets. How to rip the heart and soul out of a once proud club in 3 months. Totally GUTTED !!!
  • SCP, true gentleman and you will rise again. CAFC has a new direction but you didn't fit in with the business model which we are all gutted about. The fans will remember your time as a player and manager. Great times and a very unfair sad end
  • Good luck sir Chris your job was made untenable here.

Wish you all the best. Can only echo other comments. A true Charlton ledge.
  • Prothoro was at the game Sunday, perhaps his last act was to officially sack Powell, another yes man tosser.