Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Powell Sacked - CONFIRMED

Comments

• I wonder whether the decision had been made before Sunday.

I've heard it wasn't a happy dressing room (from a couple of sources).

Whatever the reasons and whether you're in the pragmatic or emotive camp the boys need our support not more rifts. I know it'll be tough but leave the recriminations or gloating until the fat lass has started her warming up routine
  • Oh and BtW kiss goodbye to all those young players like Poyet. He won't be signing a new contract now.

Exactly
  • Cawley saying the reason is because CP wouldn't play RD's players.

If that's true, anybody happy today needs to have a long, hard think about it. Forcing team selection on the manager goes way beyond whether you think Powell was a good manager or not.
    I have no doubt it's true.
  • Look on the bright side, at this rate we'll have a nice local derby to look forward to at Welling in a couple of seasons.
  • Absolutely gutted. Powell deserves better.
  • We were warned by Standard Liege fans that RD would do this to our club. Make decisions that made no footballing sense. A lot of us (including myself) donned the rose-tinted glasses and thought it would all be brilliant. I guess the reality of our new owner has struck now. Gutted for Powell, gutted for us.
  • Reports in Belgium suggest that Jose Riga will be the new man in charge with Karel Fraeye working as his assistant.

Riga is currently technical director of AC Milan's academy, but previously had a spell in charge of Belgian club Standard Liege who are also owned by Duchatelet and from whom a number of players have been loaned from since he took-over at The Valley earlier this year.
  • CP has been one of the best mangers in our recent history there is no doubting that, what he did to get us out of league one and then finish 9th in the championship on the budget he had was amazing.
    however this season has been very poor and i know this isnt all CP's fault as he has had very little backing from the board but he must be doing something wrong for us to be in the position we are. its sad but we have to move on and quick
    Thanks Chris good luck in the future
  • Sponsored links:

• RD has learnt from his time at SL, don't sack the manager day 1, wait, get someone to keep the PR going (RM) while you deestroy the squad then you have a ready made scapegoat (CP) as things get worse, then sack the manager because its all his fault.
  • edited March 2014
    Absolutely gutted for Chris. He was left in an impossible position by those F******* Jimenez and Slater. I don't blame RD because he's been left in an impossible position and he's trying to protect his investment
  • edited March 2014
    An excellent two seasons was bookended by two periods of complete dross. One's view on Powell will thus rest on an assessment of the respective degree to which he was responsible for the former versus the latter.

The conclusion is not clear-cut given so many other factors were relevant too (the multitude of good signings in 2011/12 and the lack thereafter being two obvious ones).

What cannot be denied in my view however is that we never played with any style. Some fans may consider this irrelevant when we are winning games, but when things go poorly it's not hard to see why the Board might lose confidence more quickly than they otherwise might. In this regard at least, Sheffield United was the final straw.
  • I said after the Birmingham game that maybe everything that has gone on over the last 12 months had just worn him down. He knew they were holding off on offering key players new contracts. They didn't give him any funds in the summer to re-invest after we got rid of 6/7 players. All this season he's balancing getting results with a poor squad. Warnock said last season that after he got the boot from Leeds, everything going on up there doesn't require a relatively young manager coming in. I guarantee that is the same for CP and us this season. He's only been managing 3 years and even the most experienced manager would've found the last 12 months challenging. I still think his time here can only be viewed as a success and he will go onto to be a good manager, maybe even back here one day. That said, in the short term, I think he'd ran out of ideas. We all saw the reaction after the sheff utd game about his negative tactics etc. Perhaps, and it's a big perhaps, RD has a replacement that will come in and freshen it up. However, I feel there is still a lot more to come out over the next few days. I still and always will hold him in high regard, and think he did a great job for the club as a manager.
  • Gutted.
  • Very sad news but not a complete surprise following Sunday's capitulation and our current league position. As ValleyMick says, football is a results business and owners nearly always opt for a change of manager when results turn sour. Perhaps just as importantly, it seems clear that Chris' relationship with Duchatalet had become an unhappy one and the ongoing dialogue regarding "footballing issues" was telling. I suspect that, in truth, the situation was more of "Mexican stand off."

As we and people in the game know, Chris Powell has been dealt an extremely poor hand - both by the previous regime and by Duchatalet - and I have no doubt that he will find a good management job elsewhere. Our loss will be their gain and his legendary status at Charlton will not be tarnished by this

In the meantime, we await the next chapter in Roland's crazy pan-European experiment.
  • I appreciate that he's done but he was never going to last long under RD. It hurts more because he's proper Charlton and he took us up but for me, it's the correct decision. Will benefit CP and Charlton
  • From Sky Sports.

It remains to be seen whether the new man will be named before Saturday's home clash against Huddersfield and Charlton then travel to fellow strugglers Millwall the following weekend.

Goodbye Chris and thanks for you some wonderful moments.
  • Sad sad day a very honourable man, he will bounce back because good men do.Hold on tight this gonna be bumpy.
  • I panicked when reading this. However I gave myself a few moments to calm down... and still panicked. And then I thought: 1) we've just been taken over by a new owner who's seen us in the relegation zone, and now sees us bottom, with no apparent chance of clambering up and out (despite games in hand). 2) We went out of the FA Cup in a dismal fashion, quite frankly, with very little fight shown by the players. 3) At Liege, when the same thing happened, obviously all the fans went mental - but look where they are now. (We can hope... right?)

Just a few, er... Erm... "positives". Not that I really want the sacking to be true. It's not official til it's on the OS...
  • Sponsored links:

• Club legend player doesnt always turn to Club legend manager...
    Anyway, lets look at the forthcoming challenges. Hope the new PIC will get the best of a team which doesnt seem to have enough good players to stay at this level ...
  • Sky Sports - your reliable source for football news:
    "It remains to be seen whether the new man will be named before Saturday's home clash against Huddersfield and Charlton then travel to fellow strugglers Millwall the following weekend."
  • I am devestated by this news.
  • In a way I am sure Chris will be relieved. It can't have been easy for him over the past couple of months and this will have affected him mentally.

Judging by Sunday's team selection, I think he must have known it was sh!t or bust. Win the game and prove your point, lose the game and ....well, we know what has happened.

Good luck to CP in his future endeavours and I know I won't see another game this season but I hope you fans get behind the team whoever comes in.
  • So sorry for Chris, deserved better. Great manager who was obviously loved and respected by his team. Fear this was inevitable since Yann left. not looking good for the rest of the season now.
  • Thanks for your 100% a game attitude throughout your entire career with us Chris. You will go on to great things.

I personally think the damage had long since been done (before RD's arrival) and recent events (not playing loans) was just a final twist of unfortunate fate for Powelly. I hope whoever is being lined up comes in quickly now.
  • seth plum said:

Gutted.

yep. Me too.

• I'll probably get shot down for this but who cares, I am Very sorry to see him sacked but really not as gutted as some of you here, yes he is a club legend, but if it was anyone else they would have been sacked a long time ago.
    I do understand he hasn't been given any funds to spend but how can you give funds to a man who gets his team playing such dire football? Not seen us win a game comfortably for a very long time.
    Good luck in the future Powell but we are here to support the club not the manager.