Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Powell Sacked - CONFIRMED

Comments

• About bloody time too, top man but tactically poor , onwards and upwards COYR
  • Much as i feel for powell, he will be ok, i am more concerned about what this means for cafc. Lower leagues and feeder club.
  • The new manager will have an easy time with team selection. His only concern will be which five British players to add to the six guaranteed names on the team sheet.
  • edited March 2014
    Following sundays result, anyone who thinks we would remainin the championship neeeds there head examining.
    He's a nice bloke, but lets be fair, some of his decisions have been woeful.
    OK, he hasnt a pot to piss in, but if he had remained we would have gone down.
    This is a gamble, but if we didnt gamble, we would have lost anyway.
    How many can seriously say they would have expected anything next weekend at the Den?
    Perhaps we might just get a result now.
  • tricky said:

Gutted.

Still think that regardless of on the pitch issues, he has been the only thing holding the club together off it. God knows what happens now.

@AFKABartram, are we allowed to very politely tell anyone gloating where to go?

They will be laughing the otherside of their face when we lose all of our upcoming games, get smashed by Millwall and go down rock bottom! Because that's what will happen now the players will be pissed, yann knew that's why he jumped!
  • vffvff
    edited March 2014
    Rolands sub 5,000 season ticket holders project continues apace.
  • Jesus. Just flicked on to see what was going on and see this.

I'm gutted. A talented manager, who is also a decent and honest man, thrown on the scrapheap by that numbskull of a Chairman we are now lumbered with. Least you won't be on the scrapheap for long, Chris, as another club who are much more deserving of your talents will soon be in for you.

Is there anyone who now seriously thinks RD's takeover is a good thing?
  • Following sundays result, anyone who thinks we would remainin the championship neeeds there head examining.
    He's a nice bloke, but lets be fair, some of his decisions have been woeful.
    OK, he hasnt a pot to piss in, but if he had remained we would have gone down.
    This is a gamble, but if we didnt gamble, we would have lost anyway.
    How many can seriously say they would have expected anything next weekend at the Den?
    Perhaps we might just get a result now.

Robbo - all of that is true.
    But this is all about not using players you have been told you must play.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2014
    It's going to be hard to not react to the Powell out brigade . Lots of biting my lip going on today .
  • Purely hypothetically, and highly unlikely I know, but what if the new manager did miraculously manage to keep us up... would it still have been a bad decision? (I think yes for what it's worth but throwing it out there.)
  • Gutted.........Ridiculous decision !!
  • In genuine shock…
  • i thought sunday was a fucking shambles but i do think powell should have been given till end of the season, oh well i think were down now and saturday is going to be a joke. keep the faith LOL
  • Who better is RD going to find to replace him? Nobody in England thats for sure. Thanks for everything CP. True Charlton legend. As for me, I feel physically sick.
  • Don't worry folks. Remember Richard Murray is on the board to offer advice in a 'non-executive' capacity. So pleased he reappeared after Jimenez and Slater destroyed our club!
  • To all those who wanted him out hope you are all happy.........Thanks Chris for all you have done for our club, you will be missed. Cant wait for Standard Leige's Youth Team coach to be appointed.
  • Not surprised the owner had his plan and stuck to it, first opportunity he had to get rid of powell he did. Thuram and nego etc are not good enough so how can Roland demand they play. Very concerned about the way in which our club is being run.

Thanks chris powell for everything top man and will always be a legend in my eyes.
  • Sponsored links:

• My Daily Mail this morning says " Powell on the brink ", after a fractious relationship with Roland over who manages the football side at Charlton. Opinions on this forum will obviously be divided, he was our favourite player, but I have to admit that in my opinion this gives us a best hope of escaping relegation. I think Chris has a touch of the stubborness that we saw in Curbs, in that despite what people were saying for instance about Church he would have played him every time.
    According to the Mail Roland is talking to Josef Riga who was manager of Standard Leige when he bought it, and has since worked at a famous Academy in Qatar, now being Technical Director at Inter Milan. Now we have to wait and see.
  • We were doomed anyway. The squad isn't strong enough. I expect very raw emotions tommorrow. Not hopeful for the future but haven't been for a long time.
  • edited March 2014
    A club legend, but I don't think he was the best manager.

Powell has come out of this with real dignity and respect. He didn't deserve to be treated like he has this season. Top man.

However, I think we were going to get relegated this season if Powell stayed.

It's a very risky decision by RD, but I'll withhold judgement until I find out Powell's replacement. I want the best for the club and, to be brutally honest, the results have been poor this season. Just look at Sunday.

I'm just praying we get a Atkins/Pochettino situation here!
  • Not shocked myself. Was always a matter of when not if. Regardless of the rights and wrongs Powell has at times demonstrated some poor judgement this season with tactics and selection.

Sad to see a good man go, but I am sure he will move on to better times. I only hope we do the same.
  • Yann and Dale gone and now Powell gone ... Good job RD!
  • PL54 said:

Cawley saying the reason is because CP wouldn't play RD's players.

Well aside from the goalie it is a bit odd not to play AA Reza etc
    Have you seen him? Headless chicken springs to mind...

• Gutted as I love CP, a true gent a proper CAFC legend and a young talented manager still learning his trade who showed what he could do given the resources. I agree some of his decisions of late were baffling like playing Cousins on the right but we as fans never know the whole story.
    Feel pretty sick right now and fear for our immediate future but will be there Wednesday supporting my club but like someone else mentioned at this moment in time its a 43 year ride I feel like jumping off!!
  • Big mistake as he should of gone in jan but I wish him well , not gloating but I happy the club can move on at last.
  • Thanks for briefly bringing our Charlton back, Chris.

Oh what might have been with just a little bit more money.

Gutting.