Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Powell Sacked - CONFIRMED

Comments

• Look on the bright side, at this rate we'll have a nice local derby to look forward to at Welling in a couple of seasons.

I think that you may find it'll be Erith & Belverdere or VCD Athletic.

• obviously im gutted by this but this may not be too bad in the long run. just think about it, RD brings someone in who is going to comply with his ideas and plans for the club, everyone is then pulling in the same direction and we fly up the league.

(trying to look for positives...)
  • A sad day for a Charlton legend , thanks Chris.
  • I'm sad too but there you go, that's football for you!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26524831
  • edited March 2014
    Roland can go f**k himself
  • As soon as his visit to Bromley Addicks was blocked, you felt they didn't trust him fully. Do you think it could be rescheduled to get his side of the story? Thanks SCP, sorry it had to end this was.
  • Gutted for CP as he loved Charlton and was a legend here.
    I have a bit of sympathy for RD as he obviously does not want to get relegated and has taken the step of changing things in the hope the players have a reaction.
    I loved CP as a person but some of his team selections were a bit confusing and how we played was a bit defensive. Maybe if the owner did nothing we would still go down.
    Same with Yann I would not have sold him but we had been struggling all season to score goals even with him and maybe RD thought let's freshen it up and change things.
    I think the old owners were more to blame than RD as all we needed in the summer was to bring a few players in and sort some contracts out and we would have been fine this season. We had a sinking ship then that CP tried to keep afloat but the writing was on the wall. To me that was the start of the problems and they just carried on from there. Only having 1 forward was a joke and getting Church and Sordell last minute. If MS and TJ were still in charge I am pretty certain we would have been fearing relegation and administration and things being a whole lot worse.
    Let's give the new manager and owner a chance and see what the future brings. Changes happen in football but like I said I blame MS and TJ.
    Let's support the TEAM on Wednesday as with a win and new ideas we can still stay up. Stay positive and don't give up we can if it. COYR!!!!
  • Honestly not surprising. Something really needed to be changed and this weekend seemed a tipping point.

Wish Powell all the best for the future and hope RD has made the right choice to change things this late in the season.
  • I'll probably get shot down for this but who cares, I am Very sorry to see him sacked but really not as gutted as some of you here, yes he is a club legend, but if it was anyone else they would have been sacked a long time ago.
    I do understand he hasn't been given any funds to spend but how can you give funds to a man who gets his team playing such dire football? Not seen us win a game comfortably for a very long time.
    Good luck in the future Powell but we are here to support the club not the manager.

Agreed, not RD's fault that our best players were out of contract when he took over, and it seems that from the interest in Gradel/S Jackson that we had intentions to bring in good replacements.
    Powell has continued playing 'his' players, with the new boys watching from the sides, and things simply haven't improved.

• Sponsored links:

• obviously im gutted by this but this may not be too bad in the long run. just think about it, RD brings someone in who is going to comply with his ideas and plans for the club, everyone is then pulling in the same direction and we fly up the league.

But how, as fans, can we be happy with his plans? We are part of an experiment that leaves us without idendity and make us a laughing stock.
  • Absolutely gutted. If we were in this position with the squad we had last season, and without the games in hand, then I could see the argument. As it is, whenever he's been supported he has delivered.

Hopefully we'll see him back at some point in the future when this super club network debacle has gone away,

Live is never boring being a Charlton fan, at least we have that...
  • well...I'm gutted...

buuuuut...it's probably better for everyone....

aaand...am pretty sure its better for CP himself

Good luck and thanks CP....

• Rob62 said:

obviously im gutted by this but this may not be too bad in the long run. just think about it, RD brings someone in who is going to comply with his ideas and plans for the club, everyone is then pulling in the same direction and we fly up the league.

But how, as fans, can we be happy with his plans? We are part of an experiment that leaves us without idendity and make us a laughing stock.
    im sure if his plans take us back to the premier league and are successful like they have been at standard liege a lot of our fans will be happy
  • Massive shame- great bloke who is and always will be proper Charlton. However, and as much as I love the man, he just wasnt cutting it and in the pro football world this was on the cards. Sunday was the tip of the iceberg with an abject, clueless performance that to be honest was down to his management capabilities. Good luck Chris.....
  • Pissed off that I heard it from a smug Arsenal fan dripping with schaudenfraude and those C****s at the Daily Mail. Thanks Chris - you'll always be a Charlton legend.
  • How will players react at tomorrow,s game I wonder?
  • Sponsored links:

• Gutted. Good luck Powelly, you will be a big success wherever you end up and this will be our loss.

Need to get behind the team now and pray for some good fortune, this is the worst season we could get relegated in with contracts for Poyet, Hamer, Morro, but also Gomez, Ahearne Grant, Edwards etc all for negotiation in the coming months.
  • Pissed off that I heard it from a smug Arsenal fan dripping with schaudenfraude and those C****s at the Daily Mail. Thanks Chris - you'll always be a Charlton legend.

I heard it from a palace fan.

I liked this board at first, however I think I'm done caring about CAFC now.

I'll always support them and look out for them but I will no longer be a fanatic

• He was being pressured last week into playing his network players in the cup game, including the goalkeeper.

Could never understand on Sunday why it just 'didnt feel right' as a performance. I think it is clear now that it is a very unhappy, divided camp.

This, a chance to play at Wembley blown because of internal politics.
  • I'm sad to see him go, and don't think he's been treated very well. While I think some of his tactics have been a bit hit and miss, he's always conducted himself with great dignity. Had he not been such a club legend, though, I think this day would have come sooner as our results and performances don't lie.
    Hope you go onto greater things Chris.
  • Driving to work trying to take this news in, it feels like I've just heard that a close friend had died. May sound a bit dramatic, but that's how it feels to me
  • Gutted, now we are just standard liege's feeder club.
  • Driving to work trying to take this news in, it feels like I've just heard that a close friend had died. May sound a bit dramatic, but that's how it feels to me

Yes it's a bit gutting......but really !?!?!?
  • Derek1952 said:

How will players react at tomorrow,s game I wonder?

More to the point which players will be playing? If Cawley is correct and the reason CP has gone is because he would not play RD's players who will pick tomorrows team and who will be selected.?