Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Powell Sacked - CONFIRMED

Comments

• I can't believe this has happened. We have definitely lost our Charlton again. We lost it after Curbs left and it never felt the same until Powell stepped in. He's done us so proud and with what he had to use.

I'm devastated. Roland is going to tear us to shreds.

An e-mail is going off to the Director with IMMEDIATE effect. (The e-mail is on the "Contact the club regarding the Powell division". I encourage all to e-mail in. Please keep it constructive and conservative.

We will not find another manager who truly loved us as much as Chrissy did.... :(
  • WSS said:

Owner Roland Duchtelet said: We have been working with Chris Powell and his representatives for a couple of weeks to try and agree a contract extension which would have seen us continue to work together.

There was good progress, but we could not reach an agreement over the clubs football strategy going forward

The situation put a strain on the working relationship between Chris and the board. Therefore I think it is best for all parties that we part ways at this stage.

I would like to thank Chris for his commitment and hard work over the past three years. The club enjoyed a number of good times under his leadership.

However, given the clubs position in the league and the number of important fixtures upcoming, I felt this difficult decision was unavoidable at this time.

We will look to quickly appoint a replacement who we feel will give us the best chance of avoiding relegation from the Championship.

I can assure supporters this was not an easy decision, but it has been made with the clubs future in mind. Time will tell if it is the right decision.

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140310-chris-powell-leaves-charlton-1411657.aspx#lf7Oj5hg55poPGYe.99

That pretty much says what we all knew, RD wants a coach but CP wants to be a manager - that leads to an inevitable conclusion.
  • StevieK said:

Unless anyone has a spare £20m/£30m+ in their back pockets, it is RD's money that is keeping the club afloat, so he deserves the chance to try and run it as he sees best

Ultimately this at the end of the day
  • Gutted but will get behind the new man.
  • I can't believe this has happened. We have definitely lost our Charlton again. We lost it after Curbs left and it never felt the same until Powell stepped in. He's done us so proud and with what he had to use.

I'm devastated. Roland is going to tear us to shreds.

An e-mail is going off to the Director with IMMEDIATE effect. (The e-mail is on the "Contact the club regarding the Powell division". I encourage all to e-mail in. Please keep it constructive and conservative.

We will not find another manager who truly loved us as much as Chrissy did.... :(

I will be emailing the club as well, and I strongly urge others to do the same.
  • I hope if we stay up and play good football everyone on here that is criticising with be apologising...
  • WSS said:

Owner Roland Duchtelet said: We have been working with Chris Powell and his representatives for a couple of weeks to try and agree a contract extension which would have seen us continue to work together.

There was good progress, but we could not reach an agreement over the clubs football strategy going forward

The situation put a strain on the working relationship between Chris and the board. Therefore I think it is best for all parties that we part ways at this stage.

I would like to thank Chris for his commitment and hard work over the past three years. The club enjoyed a number of good times under his leadership.

However, given the clubs position in the league and the number of important fixtures upcoming, I felt this difficult decision was unavoidable at this time.

We will look to quickly appoint a replacement who we feel will give us the best chance of avoiding relegation from the Championship.

I can assure supporters this was not an easy decision, but it has been made with the clubs future in mind. Time will tell if it is the right decision.

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140310-chris-powell-leaves-charlton-1411657.aspx#lf7Oj5hg55poPGYe.99

That pretty much says what we all knew, RD wants a coach but CP wants to be a manager - that leads to an inevitable conclusion.
    Exactly. My take is that Powell has been given the chance to buy into RD's "vision" but he clearly doesn't agree with it.

It was only going to end like this. I just wish RD had done it 4/5 weeks ago.
  • Guys e-mail the below address.

Ben.Kensell@cafc.co.uk

Please keep it polite and constructive. This is our chance to voice what we think and what we want. After everything Powell has done for us, I think he deserves a few minutes of our time to write an e-mail on his behalf!!
    The way they treated Chrissy was disgusting.
  • Sponsored links:

• SSN just shown Jose Riga arriving at Sparrows Lane & they said Powell just drove away.
  • WSS said:

Exactly. My take is that Powell has been given the chance to buy into RD's "vision" but he clearly doesn't agree with it.

Agreed, as Airman and others said it would have been better if Powell walked back in January.

I understand Powell was doing what he thought was right but the two had fundamentally different views on the way ahead, it simply was not reconcilable.
  • WSS said:

Belgian waffle for breakfast once again, great!

• WSS said:

Clearly Chris and Roland could not agree on how things would progress, but it was never a stalemate really - RD is the owner and the boss, if CP did not buckle under and agree, there would only be one winner in their argument. The timing is the worst part of this for me, things haven't been great for a long time now, but this is exactly the time everyone needs to be pulling together, not digging other fans out for boycotting/not boycotting, or backing/not backing the poor shmuck who has to step up as manager.
  • SSN just shown Jose Riga arriving at Sparrows Lane & they said Powell just drove away.

Sneaky Belgiuns! I bet you they had all this lined up well before they even told Chrissy!! So angry!
  • We might not agree with RD but I guess he is not a stupid man. It is becoming obvious that RD and CP were not agreeing and therefore I'm sure that RD has had his new manager ready to join for the last couple of weeks, so he will not be arriving with no knowledge of our team but will have been well briefed. It will be interesting what happens to the rest of CP's managerial team, my guess is that Dyer will go but the rest remain for now.

JR? rename Sparrows Lane to South Fork?????
  • Exactly what he did at standard... maybe we had all become chaltonised maybe a complete change top to bottom will make us a modern forward thinking club..instead of good old charlton...
  • Something all wrong with the timing. This had to have been lined up for a while.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't believe a word anything the management/board at the club says. Chrissy is the man to take us forward, we want him to be here. etc etc All lies.

Similar to Yann they couldn't agree a contract. Purely probably because the contracts offered probably are not worth the paper their written on.
  • My thoughts and thank you's to Powell and how his sacking has ruined my birthday.

http://rolandsrevolution.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/goodbye-chris-powell-thanks-for.htm
  • Didn't RD state publicly that it was down to Powell whether he play the loanees or not?
  • Disgusted with what this club is turning into, becoming unrecognisable from The Valley Party days.
  • Powelly did superb on the resources available, ok he made some wrong decisions but all managers do , i wish him all the best for the future , only time will tell if it is the right decision , we all need to remember people move on or should i say get moved on , but all us fans will still be around , yes its a sad day ,but its our club and we are probably one of the proudest set of supporters in the country , we have been through worse and we came back better for it , and now we have to get behind the players and try and stay in this division.

CP legend.
  • I received my Valley Gold advertisement package in the post this morning. Two actually. The sacking of Powell now and replacing him with Riga just goes to show we truly are a feeder team now. I'm not going to spend my money to send our brightest talents to Belgium thanks very much
  • red_murph said:

Something all wrong with the timing. This had to have been lined up for a while.

It was blatantly lined up and all signed long before they even told Chrissy. It's disgusting!
  • LenGlover said:

Absolutely devastated by this appalling treatment of a man who never gave Charlton Athletic less than his best as a man, player and manager.

Harry Corbett Roland Duchatelet, Sooty

Chris Powell will get a better job and I hope his team come to The Valley and give Charlton a tonking. The one and only time I won't support my beloved club.

What a pathetic comment. Most (if not all) of us like Chris Powell, but who the f*ck would seriously support the opposition if and when he comes to the Valley as an opposition manager?!
  • red_murph said:

Something all wrong with the timing. This had to have been lined up for a while.

probably didn't think he could sack him while we were still in the cup and in with a chance of Wembley