Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Powell Sacked - CONFIRMED

Comments

• What can I say. I'm still away in Sri Lanka been here for a week, I flew out with a message saying enjoy Sunday and thought I would be coming back to discuss with my dad and bro about getting tickets for Wembley.

I've had a cracking last day today been on a safari and seen some amazing sights. I get back to my hotel room and log in. I'm so gutted and outraged, my Mrs came in and said what's up you look very upset. I told her you won't understand, taken an hour to bed in and I honestly think is a disgrace.

Where to now for our beloved club. All players out of contracts in the summer, I can't see them wanting to stay without Chrissy being in charge.

Totally totally gutted.
  • Fuck bad timing 2 HUGE games coming up thank you SCP your my friend are a legend!
  • Feel sad for Powell. But when I saw him on that football tactics tv program a few months ago I felt he came across as clueless as a coach with ideas from another era compared to the other two panelists. I thought his agent was crazy to let him do that show because it did him no favours.

I am excited about the new appointment. Fully believe in the modern coach rather than old style manager role, especially at this level and especially if you are looking to be a club focusing on development of youth.

Really relieved we haven't appointed Warnock or some other football dinosaur.
  • edited March 2014

Feel sad for Powell. But when I saw him on that football tactics tv program a few months ago I felt he came across as clueless as a coach with ideas from another era compared to the other two panelists. I thought his agent was crazy to let him do that show because it did him no favours.

Inverted wingers - Do I like that!
  • Interesting views on here, but how much of the club is left. Upsetting to see this in a Daily Mail article today "Last week, Duchatelet effectively said Charlton would be a feeder club for Belgian side Standard Liege." - Here is the link to the full article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2578068/Powell-sacked-Charlton-owner-Duchatelet-sounds-replacements.html
  • edited March 2014
    i also think we will see anil koc start wednesday too!
  • Davo 55 first class post

Thank you G49. Coming from you, I'll take that as a real compliment.
  • powelly as a man, player, mgr has done cafc no wrong and leaves with head held high

from the outset of RD's plan I have said that if powelly bought into it he would be an ideal man to carry out the task

however I also said if powelly was not happy with the plan then he should either walk or stand up to it and pick his own players regardless and I thought he would have the testicular fortitude and the will or principles to do so,

it seems the latter was right

RD had instructed powell to play Turham on sunday, and powell refused , RD knew this prior to sunday and powelly knew prior to today that Sunday was his last game, infact he has known for a few days atleast

the problem being for powelly this was a win win for RD lose on sunday CP gets sacked, bottom of champ and out to lower league team

win powelly stays until we lose but RD gets exposure of Wembley and powelly will still be gone soon enough except RD banks a million from the Wembley appearance

RD owns our club like it or lump it, if you don't like it vote with your feet and don't renew

his project may well work, only time will tell until then

Thanks for all you have done SCP I wish the outcome both league standing and final end was different but alas its not

ultimately I support CAFC like I did before Powell ever thought of joining us and I still will long after powell and 2 chalets have gone

• Scoham said:

Why all the talk about contracts? Why say he rates him?

Some will be celebrating but a strange time to do it and I think things could get worse before they start getting better. We won't see a change in style of play overnight and the players were behind Powell.

And they won't be behind a new guy straight away. Powell is loved in football. There's such a touch of Blackburn/Portsmouth about all this.

All the Powell haters may be about to see what the greener grass really smells like.
  • This does not sit well with me!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• had some time to think now! chris powell is a great man a charlton man he did a great job but people are saying the players will not be happy with this! ok maybe but its there job right!? if you worked for tesco or a other big company if a new manager comes in you step up your game big time or you get sacked yourself correct?? sky sports showing riga already charlton kitted up the players look happy though!! the ball will move quicker now for sure! but good luck to chris powell i wish him well
  • edited March 2014
    If you asked me today I would say I am not renewing, but I will probably end up doing so when the anger subsides. But as of now, I don't know what I am going to do.

Henry will be please, very natty knitware :-)
  • Powell is at the valley now clearing out he's stuff if anyone wants to say a thank you when he comes out

Henry will be please, very natty knitware :-)
    I don't know what's worse....the knitwear or the bag....?? The hair?!
  • Belgium - it's just the shit part of Holland.
  • Croydon said:

This does not sit well with me!!!

who's the chino wanker?

Translator?
  • My thoughts and thank you's to Powell and how his sacking has ruined my birthday.

http://rolandsrevolution.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/goodbye-chris-powell-thanks-for.htm

poor stubley happy birthday though!
  • When CP was given something to work with, he did an excellent job for the club.
    Since the end of last season he has been completely undermined by the relative lack of finance made available to him, culminating in the Kermo/Stephens debacle at the end of January.
    I will always support the club and sincerely hope the new manager can turn things around, but I fear this will all end in tears and club will be stuck in Div 1 (or worse) for years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:

who's the chino wanker?

Maybe this is the "network strategy"! Chino, snowflake jumpers, man bags and erm a "hair style"!!!
  • so there's riga, his assistant and a hobbit in a cardi?!?!

we're dooooooomed i tell ya

Who are they?

Who are they?

Riga, his bit on the side.......and maybe the bits, bit on the side. :)
  • edited March 2014
    The only thing CP might regret is that we didn't go down swinging on Sunday. I don't buy the argument that any result was a 'win' for RD - had we beaten Sheff U he could, of course, still forced CP out - but Sunday's limp performance made it easier (& maybe a touch easier to get the players onside, though maybe only a touch

Autocratic, ruthless owners are not new - but in football these days appear more hands-on and hence much more interfering and thus 'unacceptable' to people with dignity and guts like CP. Alas, i think this is the modern way... Don't like (say) Rupert Murdoch? Well don't work for him then, and start your own newspaper. But for us customers, we can't just walk away. Well I can't, anyway. Holding my nose, I will be there tomorrow....

That doesn't mean we meekly submit. VOTV and other outlets mean our voices will be heard, and they must be heard.

Who are the other 2 ?

Who is the guy on the right? A touch of Dave Hill (Slade) about him...
  • PL54 said:

Who are the other 2 ?
    Riga's assistant, I didn't catch his name. And the other one we don't know. But he needs a hair cut!!
  • Disgusts me that it seems as though this bloke Riga turned up at the training ground before SCP had even left.
  • cafctom said:

Disgusts me that it seems as though this bloke Riga turned up at the training ground before SCP had even left.

Slap in the face isn't it?!