Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Powell Sacked - CONFIRMED

Comments

• janey767 said:

Powell era needed to come to an end. He is essentially a L1 manager at best. Out of his depth at this level. Tatically inept. Let's not forget that Burnley have the same budget as us and Sheff Utd half of ours! Under FFP teams in L1 under bigger cuts than us. A decent manager has taken them from last place to mid-table and a Wembley Semi. I'm not upset Powell has been sacked. Too many here backing him because of his record at our club as a player. As a Manager, woeful performance after performance. A proper long ball merchant that needs to go and manage Ebbsfleet with Varney.

I doubt Burnley have the same budget as us. Doubt they would keep the likes of vokes and ings on wages we pay.
  • Dizzle said:

new guy is 'head coach'

So was Dowie - that went well didn't it......
  • Greenie said:

Valley11 said:

Football suicide. Relegation looms I'm afraid.

We were heading that way with Powell
    Maybe, but it wasn't his fault. He was the only thing we had to cling to.
  • DMC said:

Greenie said:

Valley11 said:

Football suicide. Relegation looms I'm afraid.

We were heading that way with Powell
    Maybe, but it wasn't his fault. He was the only thing we had to cling to.
    The only reason we initially fell into the relegation zone was because of fixture postponements due to our dire pitch, another joke of an issue out of CPs hands which left his hands tied. If we had played Barnsley on 10th January (the same day I played in an amateur football league match on a park literally on the banks of the Thames in Chiswick), I genuinely believe we would have won that game (they were in pitiful form at the time whilst we were on the back of a 5 match unbeaten run), and would probably still be out of the relegation zone now.
  • Dizzle said:

new guy is 'head coach'
    Does that mean there will be other coaches too?

• I cannot believe the naivety of some people on here. Follow Roland blindly all you want, hopefully there are enough of us who see what's really going on.
  • Feel sorry for powell, top bloke who loved the club. But, if it was another manager in charge of us and we was bottom of league and wasnt playing good enough football I bet most charlton fans would want him sacked. Alson, surley this new owner wants whats best for the club, he may be clueless about the english game, but he would want whats best for the club, as he does own us, I say we give him a chance, and who knows next season we could be in for a big supprise, thats if we stay up of course, bottom of the championship or league 2, I will always be a charlton fan no matter what.
  • Anyone who renews their season ticket is INSANE
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:

I cannot believe the naivety of some people on here. Follow Roland blindly all you want, hopefully there are enough of us who see what's really going on.

Which is?
  • thenewbie said:

Croydon said:

I cannot believe the naivety of some people on here. Follow Roland blindly all you want, hopefully there are enough of us who see what's really going on.

Which is?
    the end of Charlton as the club we grew up supporting.

Sounds dramatic I know, but I think if we go down then that's where we will stay. No investment from RD, just a training ground for players from his other networks.
  • Chris Powell is a Charlton legend and I no he has had sod all money to get players in this season but we just don't play football everytime we play its hoof ball I thank him for everything he has done but surely its time to start playing another way.He will always be remembered as a great player and great manager for us.
  • Croydon said:

thenewbie said:

Croydon said:

Which is?

Sounds dramatic I know, but I think if we go down then that's where we will stay. No investment from RD, just a training ground for players from his other networks.
    We'll see. 14 million pounds is a lot to spend for a mere dumping ground for kids and has beens, I think there is more afoot than initially apparent. Time will tell.
  • Has anyone rung up for a match ticket since his sacking? Is Powell still answering the phones?!
  • Croydon said:

thenewbie said:

Croydon said:

Which is?

i sort of understand why this is thought, but i see no evidence of it, he could've bought a lge 1 or 2 club to do that

the most confusing thing for me is he has already sacked jose once why is he here
  • Interesting figures on the BBC sport article on our Belgian owner. Points out that a champions league place is worth 8 million to liege, but a premier league place is worth 120 million in TV money. Maybe we aren't necessarily destined to be the feeder club after all? Still, the whole episode leaves a bad taste. What a come down this week has been after the fantastic feeling and performance at the swfc game.
  • Apologies if this has been posted on other threads. Make of it what you will.

Simon Thomas ‏@SimonThomasSky 9h (https://twitter.com/SimonThomasSky)

"Powell was offered a new contract last week. Signed it. Was returned by Roland Duchâtelet unsigned with the message you're sacked. #CAFC"
  • Damage done before Xmas when CP couldn't buy a homer. Wigan, there for the taking, but momentum gone when a clearly injured Kermo kept on for an extra 18m in the first half. Pathological inability to use fresh legs led to petering into draws instead of wins.

Installed by a new regime, his start was Inauspicious in that we survived thanks to the points earnt by PP. Great season in securing FL1 title & finally got his act together in the last third in 2013.

This season Powell/Dyer ran out of ideas hence the Mr Freeze touch line persona. Slater/Jimenez couldn't get the cash, so stuck with 2nd rate loanees.

Too many times like last Sunday there was no player motivation. Powell did his best & did well at times and deserved more backing, certainly from previous crowd.

He had clearly run out of steam, understandable in the circumstances but too often snatched a draw from the jaws of victory.

I wish him the best and he will no doubt learn from this experience and hopefully learn to use his bench.

• Sponsored links:

• So just to summarise, Chris Powell played some players on the understanding it would annoy RD?
    The question is, did he choose to leave anyone out of our best possible starting 11 in order to piss RD off?
    Could anyone have done a better job on Sunday but wasn't chosen because of this?
  • edited March 2014
    Just got in from work....seen this thread and gutted..absolutely gutted.....the man was right for Charlton.....now we have someone who has know idea of English football.....if he keeps us up then fair play to him....sadly I doubt it....what a fucking disgrace...I bet ITTV will be besides themselves......Jose who?????????????
  • They say 'never meet your idol, you'll only be disappointed.' Maybe that adage should be extended to never be managed by them as well.
    Powell gave it his best shot, but tables don't lie.
    Best of luck Chris in what ever direction your career takes you.
  • Been told CP went to the Valley today to say goodbye to the staff there.

Class.

I agree with you but you make it sound like its unique... The vast majority of managers say farewell to players and staff
  • Gutted more for Chris Powell than for us. He gave everything. It was his team and ultimately they weren't very good. He never did pick a decent striker. The defence are slow (excepting wiggins and solly) He was denied funds to buy and stood stoically by and got on with it. His character shines through more than anything. Great bloke. But even as you look at sundays team ....church as your main striker?. I could understand why he started JJ but it was not the best team from the players available in my opinion. Astrit should start every game and anyway its done now. Salute a really good man who put the heart and soul back into Charlton. Its up to us to keep that heart beating. It is never the end of the world and we begin something new which is always the way., I say embrace it and move on even if gutted for Powell.
  • Millwall will be my last game for a long time only cause I already have a ticket. Can't take this Roland regime sh#t.
  • Changes happen, managers get sacked, players leave, we carry on supporting the club. The difference here is that the Belgian(s) seems to be on a path to rip the very soul out of CAFC, death by 1000 cuts and anyone half good sent to Standard L. I will always support Charlton. Just not sure I will hand over money to watch a feeder side where the owner has no aspirations for it to be anything else. What's the point?
  • mogodon said:

Changes happen, managers get sacked, players leave, we carry on supporting the club. The difference here is that the Belgian(s) seems to be on a path to rip the very soul out of CAFC, death by 1000 cuts and anyone half good sent to Standard L. I will always support Charlton. Just not sure I will hand over money to watch a feeder side where the owner has no aspirations for it to be anything else. What's the point?

There isn't one.