Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Powell Sacked - CONFIRMED

Comments

• Croydon said:

This does not sit well with me!!!

who's the chino wanker?

Translator?
    Lawrie Wilson/Diego Poyet?
  • edited March 2014
    cafctom said:

Disgusts me that it seems as though this bloke Riga turned up at the training ground before SCP had even left.

We are playing tommorrow night. He can't hang about. He isn't the one creating this mess.

Suddenly there might be a sense of urgency.
  • cafctom said:

Disgusts me that it seems as though this bloke Riga turned up at the training ground before SCP had even left.

Have to agree with this. Unless he was already on his way here to help with the coaching. And it was his appointment that Chris Powell would not accept.
  • I think it is a shame that Sunday's game may have all been in vain if what has happened today was already in motion back then. @NorthLondonAddick said that Powell refused to play Thuram in goal when RD wanted him to. That is concerning, if RD is effectively dictating who should play, that really should be down to the manager. However, it looks as though both Powell and the players didn't turn up on Sunday, which wrangles with me a bit. If Powell knew he was facing the door and some of the players sensed this, as a supporter I would've hoped they did all they can to put it to the back of their minds and give it their all. I do not think they gave it their all judging by the performance. I'm not saying they deliberately didn't try, but it seemed that way. This means 5000 odd faithful fans spent money, got up early and dared to dream of a day out at Wembley, all the while we never really stood a chance.

Typical of what has gone on over the last 12 months really.
  • Despite being a Palace fan I have always liked CP he's a top bloke and am sorry to see him treated in such a way.
    I think you'll get out of dodge but obviously hope not :)
  • And so the transition into becoming Standard Liege's reserve team continues apace, with a very clear message sent to future managers that when their sub-par players are loaned to us, they will be played or else.

I don't want to be part of a European network of clubs, I detest the idea. I don't choose to support a club because they're good at exploiting international economies of scale or because they've worked hard on the matchday experience (no amount of cheerleaders and oompaah bands will make up for the fact that I don't care that much when we score anymore) and I don't expect our sporting achievements to be realised by winning the f*cking Belgian league.

My relationship with this club has reached its lowest ebb in the 27 years that I've been supporting them today.

Over the last few years everything that formed the character of the club has gradually been stripped away and the last piece of it drove away from Sparrows Lane this morning as his replacement passed him on the way in.

So when people are telling Len Glover to get a grip, maybe they can remember that he's slowly watched something that he loved morph into something unlovable. From a model club with a unique character, into a cog in an entrepreneur's Europe wide plaything, the summit of whom's sporting ambitions is to provide a training ground and breeding zone for other clubs' talent.

Of course it's an emotional response, in the cold light of day I will probably see it as an overreaction but supporting a football club has always been about an irrational emotional attachment - if it wasn't then I sure as hell would have been spending my Saturdays somewhere else for the past few years.

Quality not quantity as ever from you PITL
  • @Fanny Fanackapan What is your take on this as a big Powell fan, but also someone who recently told me to trust in RD?
  • I wont miss cousins playing on the right wing and church as a lone striker. Some of his tactics have been bizarre.

But the guy is charlton through and through and a very nice guy so not nice to see him go.

I'll reserve judgement depending on who the next man is and whether we're still in this league next season, as thats all i care about. No man is bigger than the club.
  • matt88 said:

I wont miss cousins playing on the right wing and church as a lone striker. Some of his tactics have been bizarre.

But the guy is charlton through and through and a very nice guy so not nice to see him go.

I'll reserve judgement depending on who the next man is and whether we're still in this league next season, as thats all i care about. No man is bigger than the club.

Who would you play on the right wing? What would your tactics have been?
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:

who's the chino wanker?

That's our new right winger!
  • The last drop of life oozed out of an already miserable season!

The change of feeling about the club I have from Saturday night with a potential wembley visit to now is incredible!
  • Gutted for Chris Powell in some ways, but he deserves better than the situation at Charlton will allow for in the future. He is better off out of it than trying to float in a network of yes men, second rate teams & Liege B team & Youth players. Don't think he'll be out of work long, the football world will know what a laughing stock we are at present.

We are now the very epitome of a rich man's play thing - just hope the oncoming mess is survivable once Dutchaletet has realized how difficult playing "Football Manager 14" is in the English League system.

• matt88 said:

I wont miss cousins playing on the right wing and church as a lone striker. Some of his tactics have been bizarre.

Wilson. Nego or Cousins at full back.

• matt88 said:

Wilson. Nego or Cousins at full back.

Least you didn't say Danny Green ha ha.

I would argue however that Wilson has been outstanding at right back, so removing him from there would have presented a risk, I am not sure I would be willing to take. Saying that I didn't see the match Nego played in, so I have no idea how he would have been. Guess Powell gets to see them all in training though....
  • cabbles I assure you that this is correct, powell was told to play Turham, Hamer done Powell no favours by putting in a sterile display and kicking that Thurham would've been abused for

however knowing that by playing powell will be gone and with out a doubt hamer would be playing his last game baring injuries I can sort of understand it

The players without doubt knew and it affected them , I would've rather they fought a bit more for powelly and us tbh but that's gone,

• Kap10 said:

@Fanny Fanackapan What is your take on this as a big Powell fan, but also someone who recently told me to trust in RD?

She'll speak for herself but my interpretation of her post higher up the thread is that she feels as betrayed and let down as many of us Kap.
  • Don't want to keep repeating myself on different threads but judging by the remarks left on the other threads Chris Powell had a majority of support from the fans...
  • cafctom said:

Don't me. Bearing in mind the amount of games coming up. What was he to do? give it a week or so to let the dust settle?
    He's had his position terminated with the club. This has happened to me many times in my line of employment (construction). The only difference being i wasnt paid as well.
    He's gone, we have a new bloke in, get behind him.

I am suprised they even let Powell into the training ground (and i dont mean that nastily).
    Some employers would have had his gear bagged up ready for collection at the gate.

I wouldnt have minded driving off after being sacked in the motor pictured above.

• I would be astonished if there is any truth in the rumours that RD told CP to select particular players.
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles I assure you that this is correct, powell was told to play Turham, Hamer done Powell no favours by putting in a sterile display and kicking that Thurham would've been abused for

however knowing that by playing powell will be gone and with out a doubt hamer would be playing his last game baring injuries I can sort of understand it

The players without doubt knew and it affected them , I would've rather they fought a bit more for powelly and us tbh but that's gone,

It's not great if this was the case. I can see it having a knock on effect on the players and Powell's mindset, but what a kick in the teeth to all of us. Both on RD's part for telling Powell who to play, and the subsequent performance levels of the players. It just goes to show how everything that happens now must be for the good of the club. I like and rate Powell and think he has had a rough ride. However, we've seen the poorer side of his game over this season. I just wish both RD and Powell/the players had had the wider picture in hand before they acted the way they did with regard to Sunday's game. We've massively lost out here.

Interestingly enough RD telling Powell to play Thuram is wrong, but I would've agreed with him telling Powell not to play Cousins on the bloody wing.
  • LenGlover said:

Kap10 said:

@Fanny Fanackapan What is your take on this as a big Powell fan, but also someone who recently told me to trust in RD?

She'll speak for herself but my interpretation of her post higher up the thread is that she feels as betrayed and let down as many of us Kap.
    Thanks Len apologies I did check back but I missed the earlier posting
  • edited March 2014

cafctom said:

Don't me. Bearing in mind the amount of games coming up. What was he to do? give it a week or so to let the dust settle?
    He's had his position terminated with the club. This has happened to me many times in my line of employment (construction). The only difference being i wasnt paid as well.
    He's gone, we have a new bloke in, get behind him.

I am suprised they even let Powell into the training ground (and i dont mean that nastily).
    Some employers would have had his gear bagged up ready for collection at the gate.

I wouldnt have minded driving off after being sacked in the motor pictured above.

No, he wasn't meant to wait a week - but maybe RD could have waited another hour or so in order to let SCP walk out the bloody door after saying goodbye to a group of players who think the world of him.

Its not too much to ask for RD to treat the man with a bit of respect at least.
  • I would be astonished if there is any truth in the rumours that RD told CP to select particular players.

Start preparing to be astonished then.

• Croydon said:

who's the chino wanker?

The latest report from SSN reporter (Gary Cotterill?) at the training ground reckons it's Astrit ha ha ha he's about a foot taller, where do they get these people from :-0
  • Disgraceful, RD's ripping the heart out of teh club to ring it for a few more pennies for his empire of clubs

I guess we'll know for sure about 7pm tomorrow night when the team is announced on twitter.

Personally i'd expect Astrit and Reza to start anyway but if Thuram is in, then we know he's been told to pick him.
  • WSS said:

I would be astonished if there is any truth in the rumours that RD told CP to select particular players.

I've been told CP had been told to play 3 certain players in recent weeks but CP stuck to his principles that it should be his decision. Things came to a head on Sunday morning when CP received an e mail from RD telling him this was the side that should be picked today. CP said no way, so the sack was coming whether we won on Sunday or not. Whether the players got wind of this I don't know. Whether CP was doing the side any favours by not pickin Reza and AA is another question as I think they are decent. Thuram.,,hmm.
    I expect all 3 to play tommorrow which might not be a bad thing. Just hope any splits in the camp can heal and all the players unite for the fans & loyal staff of CAFC and keep us up. Don't forget, if we go down some good hard working staff at TG and Valley, their jobs could be under threat. Keep the faith.
  • IF, and I say IF, CP did not play Reza and AA just to make a point to RD then that is wrong on a number of levels.
  • NWCorner said:

WSS said:

I would be astonished if there is any truth in the rumours that RD told CP to select particular players.

I've been told CP had been told to play 3 certain players in recent weeks but CP stuck to his principles that it should be his decision. Things came to a head on Sunday morning when CP received an e mail from RD telling him this was the side that should be picked today. CP said no way, so the sack was coming whether we won on Sunday or not. Whether the players got wind of this I don't know. Whether CP was doing the side any favours by not pickin Reza and AA is another question as I think they are decent. Thuram.,,hmm.
    I expect all 3 to play tommorrow which might not be a bad thing. Just hope any splits in the camp can heal and all the players unite for the fans & loyal staff of CAFC and keep us up. Don't forget, if we go down some good hard working staff at TG and Valley, their jobs could be under threat. Keep the faith.
    I don't think anybody would have minded IF Reza and Astrit had started, but fcuk me - if Hamer hadn't started, there would have been uproar!