Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Powell Sacked - CONFIRMED

Comments

• I would - not for any other reason than to make a point. SOme people on here have been telling peopl elike me to wake up and smell the coffee - well I have done so this morning and tomorrow's game no longer matters - I know we will lose- I'll use it as will many other to show my support for a Charlton legend and hero.
  • Think he should have been sacked 5 games ago if we wanted an immediate impact. There's not that long left of the season for someone to make an impact. Did I think Powell should have gone? Yes, a while back. Would I still want him gone if I knew an unknown Belgian who is another Standard reject was coming in? No, not at all. Always a rollercoaster with this club, lets wait and see what happens!
  • Davo 55 first class post
  • Haven't read through the multitude of pages here. We were warned by Standard fans this is how Roland runs things.
    Its his bat and ball now, we are just the mugs who pay at the gate.
  • Pretty gutting really, as much as I love the guy I wasn't as pro-Powell as some but think it is definitely too late to make the change now. Still, Powell should always be remembered for how he did until some terrible circumstances and how impressive last season was considering the players available.
  • Chunes said:

Didn't RD state publicly that it was down to Powell whether he play the loanees or not?

Yep.

Just goes to show, you can't believe what anyone says. But we've known that for a while.
  • I have supported Charlton for 50 years, that's Charlton, not CP. Was an will remain a legend and true club man, but think in 5 years time he stands more chance of being at Crewe than Chelsea. Tactically naive, we have games in hand where we will play teams who are better than Sheffield Utd ? Why would the results be any different, unless somebody does something to change it.

It's not been handled well, but let's move on and give the new man a chance. Does RD want us relegated ? Of course not. He has taken what he sees is an action to prevent that. Time will tell whether that's right or wrong. However, I tend to think that with CP it was more likely, than it is now !

• It's not been handled well, but let's move on and give the new man a chance. Does RD want us relegated ? Of course not. He has taken what he sees is an action to prevent that. Time will tell whether that's right or wrong. However, I tend to think that with CP it was more likely, than it is now !

He has taken action to ensure 'his' players get played. That's the priority, not whether we stay up or not.
  • edited March 2014
    I am starting to realise that he doesn't care too much. The results will only be different if we strengthen, which we know isn't going to happen.
  • "Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 3 h

Worth pointing out that Powell won Lg1 title with 4th largest budget. Finished 9th last year with fourth lowest in Championship. #cafc"

Sums it up for me
  • Sponsored links:

• I am starting to realise that he doesn't care too much.

If he does what he has done at Standard I genuinely don't give a shit.
  • Rob62 said:

"Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 3 h

Worth pointing out that Powell won Lg1 title with 4th largest budget. Finished 9th last year with fourth lowest in Championship. #cafc"

Sums it up for me

Doesnt matter for a lot of fans that came on here... the fact we finished 9th last season means we should be romping the league this.

Has anyone seen Colin?
  • Rob62 said:

It's not been handled well, but let's move on and give the new man a chance. Does RD want us relegated ? Of course not. He has taken what he sees is an action to prevent that. Time will tell whether that's right or wrong. However, I tend to think that with CP it was more likely, than it is now !

He has taken action to ensure 'his' players get played. That's the priority, not whether we stay up or not.
    do you seriously believe that?, do you really think he spunked £14m of his own cash so that a few SL reserves get a chance to play in England?????
  • I would - not for any other reason than to make a point. SOme people on here have been telling peopl elike me to wake up and smell the coffee - well I have done so this morning and tomorrow's game no longer matters - I know we will lose- I'll use it as will many other to show my support for a Charlton legend and hero.

So you're basically saying you support Chris Powell and not Charlton Athletic. Good one. Enjoy your season ticket at wherever Powell pitches up to next then.
  • Desperately sorry that it has ended like this, but also a little relived that CP's misery has been brought to an end. He was clearly in emotional turmoil recently and I would not be surprised if the disagreements behind the scenes were responsible for some of his strange recent team selections. We are now stuck with RD and like it or loathe it, we have to have a manager who is willing to work with RD, rather than against him.
  • But he isn't going to do that with us - can't you see that? Standard Liege are probably low Premiership/high Championship at best standard wise- the minute we have a player who they think he can play for them, he will be off.
  • I'm thinking it's definite relegation now. We are definitely going down!!

IF we stay up and things turn around, then and only then, I will eat my own words with extra gravy on top!!!

But League 1 here we come.
  • edited March 2014

Rob62 said:

do you seriously believe that?, do you really think he spunked £14m of his own cash so that a few SL reserves get a chance to play in England?????
    Powell has been sacked because he refused to play them, what other conclusion can be drawn? Maybe Roland thinks that his players will give us a better chance of staying up, but who the f is he that we would trust his opinon over our ex-manager and his staff? He is playing football manager with our club and people are just happy to let it pass?
  • He wanted backing, not sacking: a few bob to build a team like he did in Leaguem1. Wasn't much to ask was it? CAFC have made some awful decisions over the years and this one is up their with the worst of them.
  • Rob62 said:

Of course he has!! And things like this are why we struggle at International Level!!

Where would you rather play, Belgiun reserves or the English Championship....??!!
  • Sponsored links:

• The decision was arguably correct however RD needs to just do one!! He's come in, gave us standard liege rejects and not given Powell a say at all. I love the club and always will but it dosent feel like Charlton anymore. RD dosent care about Charlton, just his wallet!! I can only see things getting worse for us in the coming years.
  • edited March 2014
    Not sure if the club statement has been posted, so apologies if it has:-

Chris Powell has been relieved of his position as First-Team Manager at Charlton Athletic with immediate effect, the club announced on Tuesday morning

Chris Powell has been relieved of his position as First-Team Manager at Charlton Athletic with immediate effect, the club announced on Tuesday morning.

Following a disappointing FA Cup exit at the hands of Sheffield United on Sunday, Charlton are currently bottom of the Championship having taken 27 points from 30 games so far this season.

Owner Roland Duchâtelet said: “We have been working with Chris Powell and his representatives for a couple of weeks to try and agree a contract extension which would have seen us continue to work together.

“There was good progress, but we could not reach an agreement over the club’s football strategy going forward

“The situation put a strain on the working relationship between Chris and the board. Therefore I think it is best for all parties that we part ways at this stage.

“I would like to thank Chris for his commitment and hard work over the past three years. The club enjoyed a number of good times under his leadership.

“However, given the club’s position in the league and the number of important fixtures upcoming, I felt this difficult decision was unavoidable at this time.

“We will look to quickly appoint a replacement who we feel will give us the best chance of avoiding relegation from the Championship.

“I can assure supporters this was not an easy decision, but it has been made with the club’s future in mind. Time will tell if it is the right decision.”

Powell took control of Charlton in January 2011, when he replaced Phil Parkinson, and the club went on to finish in 13th position in League One.

A squad overhaul followed in the summer and the Addicks went on to win League One, before securing a top-10 finish in the Championship last term.

The current season has proved more challenging and Charlton are currently four points adrift of safety, although have at least three games in hand over the clubs immediately above them in the league table.

The club will be making no further comment at this time.

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140310-chris-powell-leaves-charlton-1411657.aspx#OaCgKHuU7mQch5mi.99
  • CP and RD did NOT get on, this is a fact. Apportion blame where you will but it is clear to me that with such a fractious relationship, things at the club would never be right with them at such odds. RD is the boss, he has the control, he has the money, he has the final word - in a power struggle then he would always come out on top, that is the way of life for better or worse.

Perhaps our new manager really is a yes man, perhaps he is not, unlikely as that may seem. On the other hand, it is not inconceivable to me that with a manager in place that Roland is happier with then he will give the club MORE support, not less. He has things the way he wants them, CP is out of the way - now he will progress his plan. If we agree with the plan, or if it works, remains to be seen - but if anyone really thinks anyone would spend 14 million on a club then flush it down the crapper deliberately and walk away, then they are thinking with hearts, not heads.

This could backfire disastrously, I am not so optimistic/naive/stupid as to ignore that possibility. But it could be that after a rough few years we end up higher than we've been for a long time.
  • How many of the other staff will go,ie, Alex Dyer,Daman Matthews.Ben Roberts ,and of course Keith Peacock.
  • Things seemed so much better under TJ and MS. For all their shortcomings they didn't interfere in the Football and they didn't sell any of our best players.
  • If the owner has CAFC best interests in mind, he would appoint Paul Hart immediately as interim manager. However, looking at the preferred choice of the owner, his man may well want to have a more hands on approach at Academy level - which could see the eventual departure of Hart. This would be another disastrous decision.
  • cafctom said:

Things seemed so much better under TJ and MS. For all their shortcomings they didn't interfere in the Football and they didn't sell any of our best players.

Because under those two, we had no 'best players' save for Kermorgant, Stephens, and Wiggins (Solly notwithstanding through injury.) and if you don't think the first two would have been flogged ASAP then more fool you frankly, and Wiggins would certainly not have got a four year contract. They may not have interfered with the football, but we've been shit all season, not just since they went. RD looks like bad news, but better under TJ and MS? Fuck no.
  • Liam95 said:

The decision was arguably correct however RD needs to just do one!! He's come in, gave us standard liege rejects and not given Powell a say at all. I love the club and always will but it dosent feel like Charlton anymore. RD dosent care about Charlton, just his wallet!! I can only see things getting worse for us in the coming years.

We genuinely don't know how good these players are because we haven't seen enough of them. He's a businessman and ultimately would agree there is an end game at some point of making money through his network. However, as highlighted by @thenewbie, why spend £14m just to fuck it all up. Most people of that wealth do not throw money away. Anger is understandable, but as I've posted elsewhere, CP has been worn down by the last 12 months. He was running out of ideas as we have seen with some of the team selections (Cousins on the right etc). The new players would not have had this takeover/new contract worry hanging over their head, so should come in fresh. AA looks good to me, and Reza looks lively. I am sorry but the likes of Church, Sordell, they are a massive factor in why we are bottom. Players like Koc, Nego, Reza, Polish Pete & AA might be the chance we've got. I've certainly seen enough of some of our established players to know they aren't up to it.