Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Powell Sacked - CONFIRMED

Comments

• Whilst I'm completely against this move, it's not an unsurprising turn of events. Most owners usually want to bring in their own man, hence how Powell got the job in the first place. It seems though that Powell was haggling over parts of his contract which were to do with player transfers and contracts. Clearly Roland wasn't going to compromise on the way he wants the club to be run. I feel sick to my stomach this morning. Powell was doing well in difficult circumstances I believe, and whilst he was not the finished article in terms of his management ability, I do feel that he will go on to have a great career as a gaffer. The down side is that we might have to watch one of our legends go on to great success with another club.

Good luck Chris, thanks for everything, you will ALWAYS have a special place in Charlton fan's hearts.
  • Am really disappointed with this decision as was never in the Powell Out group (yet was never in the Sir Chris Group either) unfortunately part of me can understand the timing.

i.e. We've two months left in this season... Yes Powell could have kept us up / Or could have taken us down (the same as Riga) yet if there was no real intention for Powell to stay around come the summer then the new Manager would only have pre-season to assess the current players and say what new positions were needed.

This way (Even if he is a yes man in the sense he doesnt get to choose which players join) he can at least see what he's got to work with longer term
  • Good luck Chrissy, don't like seeing anyone lose there job but saw it coming with the results, tactics and football. I hope you pick up another job and will look out for your results. However I support Charlton and that will not change.
  • Gutted too.
    Constructive dismissal.
    I'm also gutted that I can't make tomorrow night's game and vent my anger/support for Chris.
    What I need to do now is win the Euro Millions and buy the club back!
    or, put all I have on Millwall to beat us this Saturday. (if only the odds would be more favourable...)
  • SCP was the best manager we've had. Showed what he could do when appointed, transformed the squad, created Champions, then not allowed to push on by the previous two clowns. RD isn't worth a toss I'm afraid.
  • I have huge respect for Chris Powell, but I do think that not giving a new man at least a dozen games in which to beat the drop would have been negligent, like standing idly by and waiting for a car crash to happen. He goes with our great gratitude and affection.
  • SCP was the best manager we've had. Showed what he could do when appointed, transformed the squad, created Champions, then not allowed to push on by the previous two clowns. RD isn't worth a toss I'm afraid.

Curbs.......
  • edited March 2014
    We have 2 crucial games this week and now have a managerial team who does not understand the Championship.I hope I am proved wrong but I think this has sealed our relegation and it will now be about next season rebuilding from League One.

Clearly Duchalet had no intention of keeping Powell.So why not make this change during the transfer window? Riga could have at least then brought in more of his own players.Currently we have have a more unbalanced squad than when Pardew left and Parky took over.Will he have the knowledge or contacts in English football to play the loan market?

As a rule I do not like sacking managers mid season.When the last owners took over and sacked Parky after the Swindon game I was not surprised and reluctantly even believed it was necessary. Even I would have accepted that Powell might have needed to go if we lost tomorrow and at Millwall Saturday if there had been similar performances to Sunday.

What frustrates me now is I can't see how this gives us a better chance of either winning at the Toolbox or survival.Ironically when we are relegated Powell would have been our best chance of climbing back as he understood that level I don't think Riga does.

• Seed, Lawrence, Bailey?

farewell CP, you are still a CAFC legend, I know you were a proud man and have CAFC at heart, it just wasnt meant to be.
  • Sponsored links:

• On a second sad note it'll be a shame if Damien Matthew leaves (Would be surprised if he didnt)... He made a huge impact on the U18s and Reserves a few years ago bringing through Chris Solly / Jonjo Shelvey and Rob Elliot if Im not mistaken?
  • I must admit I am gutted – I feel we have been stitched up big time. I have been critical of some of Chrissy’s tactics but I always have believed he is the best man for the job. In a post this morning I listed key players that were taken away from him this season – Fuller, Haynes, Cort, Solly, Stephens and Kermogant. What was the poor bloke supposed to do? I suspect the club could now implode- The tones of Chrissy Powell will echo around the stadium tomorrow. It will be like the chorus on the Titanic singing as the ship sinks. Thanks Roland, thanks a lot you ignorant tw*t!
  • SCP Charlton through and through. A manager with a strong passion for the club is hard to find. In a way as gutted as I am, Chris deserves better, it's clear he and Roland had some differences, bugger all of a say in recent transfers and who he has to work. I'm not against Roland and his network but it's
    clear he wanted his own man in from the start and I think he's been difficult with SCP and forced the issue. Full respect to Chris, an amazing man who did a great job on a shoestring, he wont be out of work long.
  • I really fear for our club. There's no chance of the likes of Hamer, Morrison and Jackson signing up again now. That means a relegation, most of our proven L1 promotion players departing and having to rebuild an entire team by spending very little money, most likely on Roland's cast-offs who have no L1 experience. Marvellous.
  • I don't believe this, there is nothing on the OS.

So cant be true
  • Haven't had time to trawl through this.

If it hasn't been mentioned SSN just said Jose Riga has been seen at Sparrows Lane this morning & pictures to follow soon.
  • Why doesn't Roland just manage himself if he isn't happy with who is being selected to play? Oh, because he has 980 other clubs to look after.
  • In the Sheffield United programme they mentioned the 5-2 defeat, which was Pardew's final game in charge. The Blades get another victim...
  • Smallwall must be laughing their heads off

After sunday coming back on the train we all thought Powell should/would go, but at the end of the season and he would WALK like the dignified man he is.

The timing is horrendous and the guy coming in WTF does he know about football at this level ---a relegation dog fight-----playing the Bermondsey Pikeys----------anything.

Thanks for the England shirts Chris-------legend -------------thanks for the 101 (people still dont understand what an achievement that is) -------loads of better jobs in football for you are out there no reason not to welcome them with a smile and open arms.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2014
    Stewart said:

I don't believe this, there is nothing on the OS.

So cant be true

Thats the really sad thing, I doubt that Powell's sacking will even be mentioned in a statement just like Rene Meulensteen's at Fulham, the new man will simply come in like no one was there before him.

What an awful way to be treated.
  • In the Sheffield United programme they mentioned the 5-2 defeat, which was Pardew's final game in charge. The Blades get another victim...

Let them take the credit. The writing was on the wall long before sunday though.
  • Smallwall must be laughing their heads off

After sunday coming back on the train we all thought Powell should/would go, but at the end of the season and he would WALK like the dignified man he is.

The timing is horrendous and the guy coming in WTF does he know about football at this level ---a relegation dog fight-----playing the Bermondsey Pikeys----------anything.

Thanks for the England shirts Chris-------legend -------------thanks for the 101 (people still dont understand what an achievement that is) -------loads of better jobs in football for you are out there no reason not to welcome them with a smile and open arms.

Mite be a good fing not knowing about Millwall as we always bottle it...
  • From a Blade, very sorry to hear about the news regarding Powell. Always liked him, a proper gent and obviously highly regarded in footballing circles. Tough on him when your owner sells your two best players. Win those games in hand! I'll be there on Saturday with my Charlton mate cheering you on.
  • Did anyone on here enjoy watching that total rubbish on Monday and the lack of goals this season with strikers brought in by CP,these from clubs in the same Div. who didn't want them.Players played out of position and humping the ball forward with ice on it to players who couldn't win it,I know I didn't.Grateful for what he gave us as a player and then as manager but honestly sentiment has no place here..
  • edited March 2014
    SSN have just read a Charlton statement saying it's official. basically Powell & RD couldn't agree a way forward.
  • WSSWSS
    edited March 2014
    Owner Roland Duchtelet said: We have been working with Chris Powell and his representatives for a couple of weeks to try and agree a contract extension which would have seen us continue to work together.

There was good progress, but we could not reach an agreement over the clubs football strategy going forward

The situation put a strain on the working relationship between Chris and the board. Therefore I think it is best for all parties that we part ways at this stage.

I would like to thank Chris for his commitment and hard work over the past three years. The club enjoyed a number of good times under his leadership.

However, given the clubs position in the league and the number of important fixtures upcoming, I felt this difficult decision was unavoidable at this time.

We will look to quickly appoint a replacement who we feel will give us the best chance of avoiding relegation from the Championship.

I can assure supporters this was not an easy decision, but it has been made with the clubs future in mind. Time will tell if it is the right decision.

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140310-chris-powell-leaves-charlton-1411657.aspx#lf7Oj5hg55poPGYe.99