Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Powell Sacked - CONFIRMED

Comments

• Nice one Roland. Just seen the future...

• It does seem that Roland is intent of not paying the £4M if we stay in this league.
  • It does seem that Roland is intent of not paying the £4M if we stay in this league.

We're just Roland's toy. He doesn't care if he tears this club apart!

He owns around 5 different club. You can't tell me you have an individual love for everyone of them.

The bloke has no idea about English football, clubs or fans....
  • I really like Chris Powell as a person and he was obviously very passionate about Charlton. Probably the best left back we ever had but unfortunately he couldn't transfer that passion to the players, although they were probably not good enough to receive it. The squad was not improved in the summer and that was partly down to Powell, as well as Slater and Jimenez. No style of play and couldn't decide whether to do 'the hoof' or run down the wing and put over crosses. Unfortunately I couldn't make Sunday's game but my brother went and said Charlton were a disgrace so that was probably the last straw. Powell may or may not have kept Charlton up (if he'd have stayed) but it's RD's decision. I think for his own development it might be good that CSP moves on and hopefully finds another club. He can then look back on what he did well and what went badly. That should help him improve as a manager and good luck to him.

I hope Riga can keep Charlton up whether or not it's an unpopular choice with the fans. It will be hard because as I've said before I don't think the players are good enough. The only thing in our favour is that Millwall, Barnsley, Blackpool and Yeovil have got poor players too.

Agree with some of this but not sure how you can say the failure to improve the squad over the summer was "partly due to Powell".
  • The argument of many who wanted CP sacked seemed to be:

We are struggling and something must be done.

Sacking the manager is something.

Therefore we must sack the manager.

I'd hoped that RD was a better logician than that. I'm disgusted.
  • The argument of many who wanted CP sacked seemed to be:

We are struggling and something must be done.

Sacking the manager is something.

Therefore we must sack the manager.

I'd hoped that RD was a better logician than that. I'm disgusted.

Fickle fans my friend, fickle fans.

Logically can not come up with anything more therefore the answer is to blame the man on the front line! :(
  • The brains of blackheath who I've just spoken to at length about today's news makes these points...

How many of RD imports started Sunday??

Powell's body language before the game with peacock showed something wasn't quite right..

Was he sacked Sunday night as a result of the lack of Roland's players that started Sunday?
  • A picture paints a thousand words......
  • Caption competition ^^^
  • Sponsored links:

• Does anyone no if all the back room staff gone too? Alex dyer etc? Wondering if he will bring a whole new team of coaches in .
  • There were 94 responses to this mornings survey.

Was Duchatelet right to sack Chris Powell? Yes 16 (17%) No 78 (83%)

Will Charlton be better off without Chris Powell? Yes 7 (8%) No 85 (92%)

Will Chris Powell be better off without Charlton? Yes 65 No 5 Other/Maybe 7 Skipped Question 17

What are your abiding memories of Chris at Charlton?

A decent, honourable man who appeared to have a love of the club as both a player and manager and who always endeavoured to do the best for us.
    scoring on his last home game for charlton
    A man with an unabiding love for our club. Probably unique in football!
    His love for the club; his dignity; his record breaking year; his time as a player; his England caps; his hard work; HIS HUGE SMILE.
    too many to mention
    All round class act. Winning League 1.
    Legend in all respects
    Carlisle, Promotion from League One , Sheffield Wednesday Away (Fa Cup)
    winning league 1
    Promotion, his last goal, brought respect to the club,
    Smile and Tunnel Jump
    Top Professional an person
    Celebrating goals and victories. Looking dejected.
    Player, successful manager, sounds like an honest, hard working dedicated person.
    Wearing his heart on his sleeve, however he thought with it too and not his head.
    Swinging from the crossbar and caring about Charlton.
    Scorring his last goal
    his passion for the club
    101 points, swinging from the crossbar, Coventry, tunnel jumps, flat caps and a pure love for CAFC
    The rapport he had with the supporters.
    a true gent with cafc at his core
    the smile lifting the league 1 trophy
    True gentleman, who had pride and passion for cafc
    League 1 champion, signing Yann and Dale and Wiggins, Hamer etc. Getting Obika and Fuller and Danny Haynes!
    Scoring against Coventry in his last game.
    As a player professionalism and ebullience as a manager integrity and belief
    Everything from League One, and some great times in the Championship
    Too many good memories to pick one outstanding memory. Too upset and angry to think properly now!
    going to carlisle and watching him celebrate
    Winning the league with record points, beating Barnsley 6-0, reaching the cup quarter finals, finishing 9th in our first season back in the championship with limited resources, making me proud to be a Charlton fan again.
    One of the GOOD guys, upstanding, fighting for the good of footballers everywhere - great left back & superb camaradary with the fans a last wave goodbye!
    Loyal, love of the club and its fans.
    his tunnel jumps! Bringing back our Charlton and the league one triumph
    Winning League 1 with a record points haul.
    Integrity, honesty. that smile and the feel good factor even when performances weren't great
    Holding the scarf when he signed
    Legend
    his love for the club
    We have our Charlton Back V Hartlepool and that goal celebration
    Passion!
    smile. joy
    The fact he is a true gent and he gave us back our football club.
    The biggest smile in football whenever we won - and, of course, the tunnel celebrations
    Title, Cup run. Allround top bloke.
    Speech on the pitch at the end of promotion season
    A manager and man to be proud of almost total support from the fans we probably won't see that for a long time now
    A man of class, a manager to be proud of.
    A real decent & talented man who was badly let down By a couple of charletons and a total moron .
    scoring v coventry in his last game playing for us and hanging on the cross bar last week
    His goal Vs Coventry in his last game. The 101 points championship winning season, and the 9th place finish the season after.

Who (realistically) would you like to see as Charlton manager)?

All academic now but here goes:

Chris Powell 12, Malky Mackay 10, Curbs 7, Warnock 3, Adkins 2, Hoddle 2. Redknapp, Nathan Jones, Clough, Ranieri, Reid, Duchatelet, Andy Hughes, Style Coach 2, Not Foreign, No one with RD Connections, Not Interested. Lots of don't knows. Lot's of lists of the characteristics without naming names.
  • Very sad day for both CP and the club. I hope RD knows what he is doing but i have severe doubts. Let's hope we can get 2 positive results this week to at least lift the gloom a bit.
  • I will hold my hands up and say that I was guilty of backing Powell when results and performances were poor.

I will admit to irrational defence of some strange selections and substitutions.

I will openly say that I justified some odd tactics by alluding to his relative inexperience in management.

Why?

Because certain things you have done in your past buy you a right to being treated slightly different in the future.

Because although we are, even amongst some of our own fans, derided for our cosy and friendly reputation, it is important to me.

Because he loves this club and was desperate to create a legacy that we could all have contributed to and be proud of.

And the frustration is he could have done it. We could have done it. The man was shafted good and proper. Did he whine and moan? No. Did he publicly throw his toys out of the pram No. Did he treat people like shit just as he was being treated? No.

So, I am gutted. Genuinely gutted. The squad he created, the record points, the wins against the odds, the tunnel jumps and crossbar swings, the passion, the celebrations when we scored. All memories that will be in my head long after Duchatalet is gone.

The Charlton he helped create in the past three years has gone. In a flash. I loved my club being managed by him and so I cut him some slack in difficult times. And Im glad I did.

Will I do that for the new man? No.

That may seem unfair. But I can't give a toss at the moment.

A good, good man has been a victim of other people's shortcomings, egos and lies and that leaves me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

Fantastic post that sums it up for me. Needs to be sent to RD
  • They say 'never meet your idol, you'll only be disappointed.' Maybe that adage should be extended to never be managed by them as well.
    Powell gave it his best shot, but tables don't lie.
    Best of luck Chris in what ever direction your career takes you.

Feel sorry for you, Smudge. You clearly never had the privilege of meeting Chris Powell.
  • Can we please, please stop saying that RD sacked Jose Riga at Standard Leige. He did not sack him. People keep making this point to justify their arguments but it isn't true.
  • As said above Jose Riga wasn't sacked, He left Leige in 2012 and joined the Aspire Academy in Qatar, He's recently been coaching the AC Milan youth academy.
    As nice a man Chris Powell was, People seem to forget his win ratio isn't much better than Phil Parkinson, and look at the stick he received ?
    Roland has saved us from possible administration/winding up ?
    We have to give Jose a chance.
  • "Yohann Thuram-Ulien was a Standard Liege goalkeeper so ordinary that coaches at his new club placed him at Conference level. When he was left out, Duchatelet demanded to know why."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2578563/It-stinks-great-club-like-Charlton-eighth-highest-attendance-English-football-history-turned-cheap-dumping-ground-MARTIN-SAMUEL.html
  • Sponsored links:

• The last few weeks have for me reiterated how piss poor the "fit and proper persons test" is. This club is becoming a laughing stock. I'll never stop being a charlton fan for as long as I live but it is chilling watching the current chapter of our story.
  • Just occured to me that Matt Taylor, a good Powell signing can't tie down a place in any team at the moment. Parky doesn't seem to want him, and he didn't get many games at ColU on loan.

Just thought i'd mention it whilst i wait for the modafinil to wear off.
  • seth plum said:

Martin Samuel has expressed it perfectly.

Let's be clear on one thing, Martin Samuel doesn't give a fuck about Charlton, Chris Powell or Roland Duchatelet.

He is just using this as an excuse to have yet another crack at Financial Fair Play and Michel Platini.

Samuel's core agenda is protecting the likes of Abrahmovich and Mansour from scrutiny or questioning.
  • You may well have a point there Ormiston. Some of what he says has a certain ring of truth about it though. The Thuram point sounds like a bit if an exaggeration to me though, the lad was playing in Ligue 1 not so long ago. I'm not yet convinced we're to be a full on feeder club for Liege and we may well see some return benefits too, Ajdarevic may already be one and Reza still has time to prove himself for example.

Deep down I don't know what to make of it all really. I'm uneasy but then change often does that to us. The key could be getting to the Premier League, but that looks a distant hope right now and will RD actively pursue such a goal or would he actually prefer to keep Liege at the point of the pyramid?
  • Samuel is a Hammer isn't he? Wouldn't trust a word he says!
  • You may well have a point there Ormiston. Some of what he says has a certain ring of truth about it though. The Thuram point sounds like a bit if an exaggeration to me though, the lad was playing in Ligue 1 not so long ago. I'm not yet convinced we're to be a full on feeder club for Liege and we may well see some return benefits too, Ajdarevic may already be one and Reza still has time to prove himself for example.

Deep down I don't know what to make of it all really. I'm uneasy but then change often does that to us. The key could be getting to the Premier League, but that looks a distant hope right now and will RD actively pursue such a goal or would he actually prefer to keep Liege at the point of the pyramid?

It may be true but its even more important to remember why he is writing it!

To be fair he has written about Watford's situation but again that's not because he cares about them, its just so he can slag off UEFA over FFP.

Yes, he is West Ham.

He spent the best part of a year defending them when they should have been relegated over the Tevez fiasco in 2006/07 and probably played at least some role in getting them off the hook.

Yes, he is West Ham.

He spent the best part of a year defending them when they should have been relegated over the Tevez fiasco in 2006/07 and probably played at least some role in getting them off the hook.
    I remember that. It was a huge kick in the bollocks for us. Had they got the points deduction they deserved it would have given our relegation battle a huge boost. It may well have shaped our history more than we ever imagined at the time.
  • Obviously Samuel writes for The Daily Mail so he is a serial killer to most on here but I think it's a great article which I agree with word for word.

I don't always agree with him, especially on his pro Redknapp anti Hodgson agenda but he is usually very complimentary about us