Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Powell Sacked - CONFIRMED

Comments

• Ownership, management,coaching are all connected. So given the current ownership models of English football ,particularly in the tops two leagues, CAFC are going to be a feeder for bigger clubs with more resources across Europe . Only by supporters addressing the ownership issue can a successful, community orientated club return to SE7.
  • I will no longer be going to to charlton while roland is in charge, its a f**king disgrace CP has been sacked!!! I dont care if people question my loyalty!
  • now Hamer will be sold next,and if its true that the owners have to pay another £4 mil if we stay up then we are going down for sure
  • edited March 2014
    doronron said:

now Hamer will be sold next,and if its true that the owners have to pay another £4 mil if we stay up then we are going down for sure

I would've hoped that TJ and Co weren't idiotic enough for the 4,000,000 relegation clause to be true.

You would think that:

A) Selling some of the best assets;
    B) Removing the manager who was the only form of stability;

Should be taken in to account when writing up such a contract.

Otherwise you could snap the club up for a cheap price knowing administration was a possibility no one wanted, ship out some players and make a nice return, bring in a new manager at a pivotal time..

Bang, some money from the transfers, £4,000,000 discount on the original price and somewhere to increase the resale price of your assets from other clubs.

That said, if it's the case then I can't see him being prepared to let us languish for too long on L1 as after the initial £4,000,000 you're going to losing money left right and center.
  • doronron said:

now Hamer will be sold next,and if its true that the owners have to pay another £4 mil if we stay up then we are going down for sure

He's out of contract at the end of the season anyway.

Ownership, management,coaching are all connected. So given the current ownership models of English football ,particularly in the tops two leagues, CAFC are going to be a feeder for bigger clubs with more resources across Europe . Only by supporters addressing the ownership issue can a successful, community orientated club return to SE7.

If we got up to the PL, then it's likely that the other clubs would become feeder clubs to Charlton, the money in the Belgian league is a fraction of the money in the PL.
  • Dont think roland needs a manager does he. Regardless of peoples opinions of cp the manager picks the team and without support from the owner whats the point. I dont want to be anyones feeder club ,would like an owner who has our clubs best interest at heart. The players now have a duty to give it their best for the rest of the season but i fear the contract situation and uncertainty at the club could see us sink to new lows this season. Hope i am wrong.
  • doronron said:

Without any slur intended on SCP, my only remaining hope is that it was a piece of misguided advice that to keep us up it would be cheaper to sack him and bring in a new manager coach to keep us up and that glimmer of hope is diminishing FAST as I cannot see the current squad who has nothing to play for beyond the expiry of their contracts with us making it so for the new coach!!! I would not if I was one of them for sure!
  • Chris Powell will always be a Charlton legend.

Thank you, Chris.
  • NWC is 100% right ,

the talk on our coach home sunday night was that Chris had sent a message out to RD and that it wouldn't end well

the players def got wind from what I have been told
  • Sponsored links:

• I have a strange and 100% baseless feeling this might work out in the short term. CP moves to a club that isn't a basket case behind the scenes and achieves success again, Roland gets the puppet he's after who *might* be able to get more of the players foisted on him.... but it still stinks.
  • doronron said:

Yes I thought the exact same thing when I heard Powell was out. Hamer will not get a game and he'll go. Good luck to him too. I'd jump ship if I was there!

Only way into the Charlton first team now us if you get into SL first!!
  • Killerand flash...you are right....if we get back to the Prem others will be feeders for CAFC. Not sure I want that. Plenty of football talent in SE7 and Kent which needs great coaching and a desire to associate with a proper football club and then we will have a stable , sound , platform for future success.
  • Killerand flash...you are right....if we get back to the Prem others will be feeders for CAFC. Not sure I want that. Plenty of football talent in SE7 and Kent which needs great coaching and a desire to associate with a proper football club and then we will have a stable , sound , platform for future success.

But under Roland Athletic, good talent will not be coming up through Kent/SE7. They'll be on the next ferry from SL!
  • yes, because English players tend to move abroad frequently dont they.

The only movement is going to be inward, initially, if they succeed, they may be shipped back to SL if they are in need, but young English players moving abroad is very unlikely to happen.No different from the loan system really.
  • doronron said:

Ownership, management,coaching are all connected. So given the current ownership models of English football ,particularly in the tops two leagues, CAFC are going to be a feeder for bigger clubs with more resources across Europe . Only by supporters addressing the ownership issue can a successful, community orientated club return to SE7.

If we got up to the PL, then it's likely that the other clubs would become feeder clubs to Charlton, the money in the Belgian league is a fraction of the money in the PL.
    And, in the cold light of day, how would you feel about that scenario? It's OK as long as we are top of the pyramid (and please send over your best talent..)?
  • It's all just going to be down hill now!

Thuram will start now, meaning our goal difference will double in the last few games with the way he plays.

Definite relegation. The club will not be the same. There are going to be some seriously dark days ahead! :(
  • Haven't read through all this thread. Too depressed. Whilst I know many are happy about the decision, why don't any who aren't (like me) turn up behind the West Stand post-match tomorrow (irrespective of the result) and stop round for half an hour to chant Chrissy Powell's name non-stop, we want our Charlton back etc etc.

Clearly be utterly pointless like anything as everyone keeps banging on about Liege protested to no avail etc, but at the very least it might get us a bit of press on the box and act as a gesture towards SCP from those of us who still harboured 100% support and am eternally grateful for everything he's done for us and the stuff he's gone through in the last 2 years all for Charlton Athletic Football Club.
  • NWC is 100% right ,

the talk on our coach home sunday night was that Chris had sent a message out to RD and that it wouldn't end well

the players def got wind from what I have been told

Yes explains the lack lustre performance and Powell's reaction at the end.

We went there in our thousands happy and expectant, and all the time the odds had been against us because of RDs actions.

Thanks a lot.

• edited March 2014
    Sad and disappointed to see Powell go as would any Charlton fan I'd hope. Have my own reservations about how he had the team play this season regardless of team funding but still no way to treat the man. Thanks to Chris particularly the 2011/2012 season. Goodluck on your future ventures.
  • Sponsored links:

• Haven't read through all this thread. Too depressed. Whilst I know many are happy about the decision, why don't any who aren't (like me) turn up behind the West Stand post-match tomorrow (irrespective of the result) and stop round for half an hour to chant Chrissy Powell's name non-stop, we want our Charlton back etc etc.

Clearly be utterly pointless like anything as everyone keeps banging on about Liege protested to no avail etc, but at the very least it might get us a bit of press on the box and act as a gesture towards SCP from those of us who still harboured 100% support and am eternally grateful for everything he's done for us and the stuff he's gone through in the last 2 years all for Charlton Athletic Football Club.

I'm not going tomorrow.

My support for Chrissy is dead as he's gone. My support for the team is dead as it is now SL Team B and I don't want my money going to Roland!!!

I think the best way to send the message is by not giving them another penny!!!! We are just Roland's toy supplying him with money.....take away his income and DON'T invest!

I've contact the club and stressed my views.
  • edited March 2014
    Just thought I'd troll through some other clubs forums to see their response. Millwall absolutely pissing themselves over this, although I can't see why, the last I checked, they've got that carrot crunching clown who hides his inept management skills behind random bollocks to deflect the fact he aint got a clue.

Also, many of their mob saying words along the lines of "A racist, nasty little club".. Now there's fucking irony for you...................
  • Sack Powell and he's guaranteed to save himself £4. Hope he will save a few fans to stay and support afterwards. Love the club, not the owner. No class.
  • I really like Chris Powell as a person and he was obviously very passionate about Charlton. Probably the best left back we ever had but unfortunately he couldn't transfer that passion to the players, although they were probably not good enough to receive it. The squad was not improved in the summer and that was partly down to Powell, as well as Slater and Jimenez. No style of play and couldn't decide whether to do 'the hoof' or run down the wing and put over crosses. Unfortunately I couldn't make Sunday's game but my brother went and said Charlton were a disgrace so that was probably the last straw. Powell may or may not have kept Charlton up (if he'd have stayed) but it's RD's decision. I think for his own development it might be good that CSP moves on and hopefully finds another club. He can then look back on what he did well and what went badly. That should help him improve as a manager and good luck to him.

I hope Riga can keep Charlton up whether or not it's an unpopular choice with the fans. It will be hard because as I've said before I don't think the players are good enough. The only thing in our favour is that Millwall, Barnsley, Blackpool and Yeovil have got poor players too.
  • Just thought I'd troll through some other clubs forums to see their response. Millwall absolutely pissing themselves over this, although I can't see why, the last I checked, they've got that carrot crunching clown who hides his inept management skills behind random bollocks to deflect the fact he aint got a clue.

Also, many of their mob saying words along the lines of "A racist, nasty little club".. Now there's fucking irony for you...................

They are a bunch of scumbags. The sweetest of all would be beating them on Sat and staying up. We've only won 11 out of 67 competitive games against them. Why of all teams do we struggle against them.
  • The Powell sacking is worrying/sad but taken with all the other comment from the Belgian, plus his clear asset-stripping agenda, it's hard to see how this can end well. You have to wonder what the hell Richard Murray is thinking. Did he know it was going down this route? Can't believe it's all a surprise ...
  • Roland is a ........ (as you wish) but lets just see what happens in the next few weeks. Regardless of people not being happy he will still be in control for a while at least.
  • new guy is 'head coach'

• edited March 2014