Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sheffield United v Charlton QF FA Cup 2014 post-match views

Comments

• Tip on how to survive:

1. Start every game with Ajdarevic
    2. Only play wingers on the wing - Cousins is not a winger. Either play him in the middle or not at all
    3. Ask the strikers to run about a bit. That will give Poyet some chance of passing the ball forwards.
    4. Never, ever allow Danny Green or Cedric Evina anywhere near a Charlton shirt.
  • Kermy said:

Our strikers are awful. Reza has to play. He's a proven goalscorer for Iran and in the limited time he's played for us he's hit bar and post. Forced the only save from their keeper yesterday. He has the right idea.
    Charlton fans seem to love useless strikers who run around a lot with poor shooting ability. We need goals and lightweight or not he has to play

Seems to have good movement and a good striker of the ball but oh so lightweight. Would like to see him alongside a more physical striker that knows the division (argh!). Given what we have, I would persevere with him alongside Church or Tudgay.
  • I'm still angry, and I didn't even go. This site really helps work it out your system.
  • edited March 2014

This group of players are nowhere near as bad as some people are making out. We played some good stuff at times against QPR and Sheff Weds. ATM they are all playing with a complete lack of confidence and don't look like they are enjoying their football at all. Tactics/team selection is far too negative and has been all season. Harriot has been our brightest forward of late, yet was left out for most of the season. In the absence of Solly, a loan full back should have been bought in which would have allowed Wilson to push forward. Poyet, Cousins and Astrit are all very decent central midfielders and should be played in that position. Poyet and Cousins were completely wasted yesterday. Reza looks like he could be good but he needs to play alongside a stronger forward, Yann would have been perfect. But if we can start playing some decent football, higher up the pitch, goals will start to come from other areas such as midfield and the wing, or from corners and free kicks. In summary, we have to start playing more attacking football at a higher tempo, if we don't we're stuffed. Over to you CP.

Rob said:

I've taken a few hours to reflect on that before posting. I also haven't read any of the previous posts so as not to have my opinions clouded in any way. And this will probably be rambling because I'm still so frustrated with the game. Apologies for that.

That was just an awful game of football from Charlton Athletic. Firstly the quality on display was abysmal. We didn't seem able to string any passes together and just didn't have the quickness of thought or actions to create anything positive in the game. What disturbed me was that I felt Sheffield United were very bad and were there for the taking but we just didn't have the ability or know how to take advantage of that. I thought they looked like a L1 outfit which doesn't say much for us does it.

I thought the midfield was very weak. Cousins outside just did not work. In the center of midfield we totally lacked any creativity. It's all very well blaming the attackers but without any midfield service we are just never going to score. That's why we've been starved of goals all season. Would it have helped to have Reza up there starting instead of Church or Tudgay? Who knows. All I do know is that he is being hailed as some sort of Saviour by Iran but he can't get into our team even though we haven't been able to score for toffee this season. Also, in his first two games for us he was very unlucky when he hit the bar with a chance that he alone created and very unlucky when he hit the post with a chance that came to him when he had to act very instinctively. At least why don't we persevere with him rather than with the likes of Tudgay (who is a has been) and Church (who just isn't what you would call a goal machine).

What worried me about the game was that I felt we just never really created any clear cut chances. Harriott's chance was not a created chance but something that fell to him and he was desperately unlucky. I think in any game you need to create chances and we never seem to do that and, furthermore, we never seem to actually try to do that. So, apart from that, I think it was odds on that this was going to end in a drawer from our perspective even though that was the last thing we needed. I think that was what we were playing for with the hope that some half chance would go in for us. I don't think that's the best way to approach games. Is that because we lack the quality of players? Is that because we are just coached too negatively? I just don't know but it's this that is worrying me for our chances for the rest of the season.

I am really perplexed at the moment and something isn't right in the State of Denmark.

Very, very frustrated.

I agree with you entirely, Rob. And there is something else that's wrong with the way we play: those sideways balls to nowhere. I understand the concept of keeping possession - but hang on, we haven't scored yet: we have nothing to possess.

One of those deliberate and careful balls across the back goes awry, the Huddersfield attacker leaps in for a challenge, and we get a throw-in. Watch the lack of rehearsed movement from here: we don't know what to do with it, so our man chucks it back to the defender, who sweeps it wide and this lateral dreariness starts again...

As a player, Chris Powell was a defender, and inevitably this shows in his management. I want action. I want to admire quick and clever passes in and around the box: that beautifully subtle touch to deceive the defender and give the attacker one yard of space. It is gloriously exhilarating and sends us leaping to our feet.

Under Chris Powell, we do not know how to do it.

• I think Church should play in the wing, in a Dirk Kuit kind of role.
  • edited March 2014

Reading this thread and the Player Marks thread and seeing the criticism aimed at Cousins and Church and the seemingly unanimous praise for Poyet, I was wondering if I was watching the same match as most other people. To check my sanity I googled player stats for the game and the first site I found was this which pretty much rates the player performances exactly as I did.

Just read those stats and he is wrong on his comment about Reza not contributing -

R. Ghoochannejhad

Came on as the Addicks chased the game in vain and was able to contribute nothing offensively. His first touch was decidedly poor.

Had one of our best chances at the end if I remember correctly??????
  • I t
    vff said:

I think Church should play in the wing, in a Dirk Kuit kind of role.

I appreciate he works hard VFF, but he's useless. Can you see anything in his locker that suggests he can beat a player? His touch is poor, his pace is non existent. He's a massive part of the problem and unfortunately he has another year on his contract. Ideally, we could ship him out in the summer as I don't see him making an impact in league one (should we go down)
  • cabbles said:

I t

vff said:

I appreciate he works hard VFF, but he's useless. Can you see anything in his locker that suggests he can beat a player? His touch is poor, his pace is non existent. He's a massive part of the problem and unfortunately he has another year on his contract. Ideally, we could ship him out in the summer as I don't see him making an impact in league one (should we go down)
    Cabbles, I appreciate what you are saying but who have we got on the left flank, Harriots lacks consistency and quality, Jackson has no legs. It could be a great position for him. Out on the wing, he won't be expected to score lots of goals and we will know he will run all day. Maybe worth a try.
  • Having driven 1700kms round trip and arrived home at 0120am monday morning leaving when the game finished i was out off it.The same could not be said of the players only Harmer,Morrison ,Wood and Wilson came out of that game with any credit for me.Cousins was a joke does not look fit too me,Harriott did not do his job,if looks could kill Wiggins would be dead and Jackson up on a murder charge.Just sending long high balls up front just did not work Sheffields centerbacks won every ball that came that way.
    If you can not get players up for agame like this then we have no chance.Sheffield was the better team and will have at least one day out at wembley good for them.Charlton will have too wait many years before doing the same in the FA Cup.
  • Blucher said:

Feeling a little mellower after a few pints and some grub in The Fat Cat, plus a swift one in the Sheffield Tap. Alcohol is a necessary crutch after that excruciating second half.

A scrappy old first half but we were well and truly turned over in the second by a far better side, who thoroughly deserved to progress to Wembley. Good luck to them against Hull.

Impotent up front and lacking creativity in midfield, it is difficult to see how we're going to secure the 6 or so wins that we need in the league.

Harriott's miss was a pivotal moment but no one can deny that we were, by some considerable distance, second best.

All is not yet lost but the odds are now against this threadbare squad amassing the points we need to stay in this division.

Nicely put, Blucher. I also think it's important to remind folk that Sheffield United are not in our league - we failed miserably against a team in a division below.

• Sponsored links:

• vff said:

cabbles said:

I t

vff said:

Cabbles, I appreciate what you are saying but who have we got on the left flank, Harriots lacks consistency and quality, Jackson has no legs. It could be a great position for him. Out on the wing, he won't be expected to score lots of goals and we will know he will run all day. Maybe worth a try.
    Given Powell's fixation for playing a centre mid out on the right, and his persistence with Church it wouldn't surprise me, but it would be a recipe for disaster in my opinion. Powell stuck Stewart out on the left as a right footer earlier in the season, and I felt he was a tad wasted there. At this point, with the level of performance at Sheff Utd I wouldn't mind some radical alterations, but not this. Tudgay, Sordell or Reza on the right possibly. Harriott is still young. I think he let his run in the team last season go to his head, and reacted badly to getting dropped earlier in the season. For the sake of balance, the wingers should be Harriott and Wilson.
  • NugNug
    edited March 2014

Blucher said:

I also think it's important to remind folk that Sheffield United are not in our league - we failed miserably against a team in a division below.

Not making excuses but they are 2nd top in the form table for League 1 and we are 2nd bottom in the Championship one.
  • Nug said:

Blucher said:

I also think it's important to remind folk that Sheffield United are not in our league - we failed miserably against a team in a division below.

Not making excuses but they are 2nd top in the form table for League 1 and we are 2nd bottom in the Championship one.
    Not to forget that Villa & Fulham are Premiership teams.

• edited March 2014

Terrible performance, but it's untrue to say we bottled it, as that would imply we've been playing well week after week, and this was a one off, which sadly isn't the case...

Zero creativity, our attacks were so slow, Church and Tudgay may not be much good, but the service they get is terrible, they feed on scraps, and by the time Reza came on, the service was even worse, so don't blame him.

Sheff Utd aren't in reality a mid table team, they're a team that had a terrible start to the season, but who are showing the top 6 form everyone would have expected from them. They looked confident, seeing those runs from Collins out of CB, we made him look like David Luiz!

Cousins was terrible, even allowing for the fact he's not a natural RM, his touch, passing and workrate were awful. Maybe it would have been better to swap Cousins and Wilson, and push Wilson further forward?

Agree with you, K&F - and I think it needs reinforcing that Sheffield United are not one of our regular league opponents: they are in a division below. We had a responsibility to teach them a lesson, with our experience and skill - and we failed, pitifully.

• Terrible performance, but it's untrue to say we bottled it, as that would imply we've been playing well week after week, and this was a one off, which sadly isn't the case...

Zero creativity, our attacks were so slow, Church and Tudgay may not be much good, but the service they get is terrible, they feed on scraps, and by the time Reza came on, the service was even worse, so don't blame him.

Sheff Utd aren't in reality a mid table team, they're a team that had a terrible start to the season, but who are showing the top 6 form everyone would have expected from them. They looked confident, seeing those runs from Collins out of CB, we made him look like David Luiz!

Cousins was terrible, even allowing for the fact he's not a natural RM, his touch, passing and workrate were awful. Maybe it would have been better to swap Cousins and Wilson, and push Wilson further forward?

Agree with you, K&F - and I think it needs reinforcing that Sheffield United are not one of our regular league opponents: they are in a division below. We had a responsibility to teach them a lesson, with our experience and skill - and we failed, pitifully.

Think we all get your slant on things, vf.

Well reinforced opinion .

• Terrible performance, but it's untrue to say we bottled it, as that would imply we've been playing well week after week, and this was a one off, which sadly isn't the case...

Give over, the gap between us and them is minimal. Yes we were crap, but we were never going to go there and 'teach them a lesson' they are side in form, playing at home.
  • Nug said:

Terrible performance, but it's untrue to say we bottled it, as that would imply we've been playing well week after week, and this was a one off, which sadly isn't the case...

Give over, the gap between us and them is minimal. Yes we were crap, but we were never going to go there and 'teach them a lesson' they are side in form, playing at home.
    Yes, you are right: the gap is minimal. I'll remind you of that next season if Sheffield United go up and we are relegated.

• cabbles Member
    9:14PM

vff said:

» show previous quotes

Given Powell's fixation for playing a centre mid out on the right, and his persistence with Church it wouldn't surprise me, but it would be a recipe for disaster in my opinion. Powell stuck Stewart out on the left as a right footer earlier in the season, and I felt he was a tad wasted there. At this point, with the level of performance at Sheff Utd I wouldn't mind some radical alterations, but not this. Tudgay, Sordell or Reza on the right possibly. Harriott is still young. I think he let his run in the team last season go to his head, and reacted badly to getting dropped earlier in the season. For the sake of balance, the wingers should be Harriott and Wilson.

Fair enough, thats reasonably argued. I just worry about Harriot's tracking back and defensive mistakes and whether he can play 90 minutes.
  • The nub of the point is not how good Sheff U were, but how bad we were. Yes, they were at home, on a roll and were favourites, but we kept them quiet for an hour or so & we were not really threatened. The problem is that we could still be playing now & wouldn't have troubled their keeper.

We are not one paced, we are NO paced. No width so no crosses coming in with pace ( an 11 year old can defend our aimless crosses from midfield - not so easy when the crosses are coming in from near the byeline (low or high) but when we get near the box we go backwards or inside). No pace or movement upfront so can't get free of their markers.

Than again, none of this is new. We've been saying the same thing since last season - and we are a lot worse than this time last year. At the start of the season we replaced Fuller & Haynes with Church & Sordell and have now lost Kermy to boot !! I take no pleasure is saying that we were getting relegated before a ball was kicked in anger but I fear we will not be back in the league again for a number of years, and could even sink into league 2 if things aren't changed come the summer.
  • Nug said:

Yes, you are right: the gap is minimal. I'll remind you of that next season if Sheffield United go up and we are relegated.

And in your scenario if we are top of league 1 next season and they are bottom of the championship and we meet in the FA cup the gap will still be minimal. I'm not sure what your point is. The fact is we have no divine right to turn them over because we are in a league above....ask Fulham and Villa.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

Andy Ansah (who is close to Powell) on Twitter suggesting a sinister reason for the lack of performance.....

@MrAndyAnsah
    To my fellow #Charlton fans there is disappointment from today's loss.
    The truth will surface behind it.
    I won't say no more.
    Is it me? Why were none of the loan players in the starting line up Sunday? Looking at a lot of posts many fans believe Astrit Ajdarević should be starting every game . . . but is not. Why is this? From what I have seen he should be a starter. His introduction against QPR won the game for us. His shot resulted in the corner, which he then took for JJ to score. Reza Ghoochannejhad in added time was the only player that forced their goal keeper to make a meaningful save on Sunday. Is Chris Powell trying to prove a point by picking his players as opposed to playing the loans? Just a thought. Nothing like a conspiracy theory.

• T69 said:

Scoham said:

Andy Ansah (who is close to Powell) on Twitter suggesting a sinister reason for the lack of performance.....

@MrAndyAnsah
    I won't say no more.
    Is it me? Why were none of the loan players in the starting line up Sunday? Looking at a lot of posts many fans believe Astrit Ajdarević should be starting every game . . . but is not. Why is this? From what I have seen he should be a starter. His introduction against QPR won the game for us. His shot resulted in the corner, which he then took for JJ to score. Reza Ghoochannejhad in added time was the only player that forced their goal keeper to make a meaningful save on Sunday. Is Chris Powell trying to prove a point by picking his players as opposed to playing the loans? Just a thought. Nothing like a conspiracy theory.

What a strange first post from a new member.
  • T69 said:

Scoham said:

@MrAndyAnsah
    I won't say no more.

A bizarre post is put up and we are not allowed to speculate? Admittedly I did not explain myself very well, as I was referring to Roland's signings/loans. But it still does not explain why none were in the starting line up. I appreciate you are supposedly the knowledge of all things Charlton . . . but this is a forum, which means I am entitled to my opinion and free to make a comment. For someone so knowledgeable get your facts straight . . . this was not my first post!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited March 2014
    T69 said:

T69 said:

Scoham said:

@MrAndyAnsah
    I won't say no more.

A bizarre post is put up and we are not allowed to speculate? Admittedly I did not explain myself very well, as I was referring to Roland's signings/loans. But it still does not explain why none were in the starting line up. I appreciate you are supposedly the knowledge of all things Charlton . . . but this is a forum, which means I am entitled to my opinion and free to make a comment. For someone so knowledgeable get your facts straight . . . this was not my first post!!!!!!!!!!!
    My mistake, so I apologise for that. I misread the site stats.
  • For the majority of our players surely this was their one chance of playing at Wembley - why the hell did they seem to play like it didn't matter?
  • Nug said:

Blucher said:

Not to forget that Villa & Fulham are Premiership teams.

Well Villa are.

• edited March 2014
    Saga Lout said:

For the majority of our players surely this was their one chance of playing at Wembley - why the hell did they seem to play like it didn't matter?

I don't think they honestly thought it didn't matter. Sheff U just dealt with the "nerves" better.
  • Kermy said:

Our strikers are awful. Reza has to play. He's a proven goalscorer for Iran and in the limited time he's played for us he's hit bar and post. Forced the only save from their keeper yesterday. He has the right idea.
    Charlton fans seem to love useless strikers who run around a lot with poor shooting ability. We need goals and lightweight or not he has to play

here here too that! and piotr too!
  • T69 said:

Scoham said:

@MrAndyAnsah
    I won't say no more.

I must say I wondered exactly the same thing when the teams were announced and there was no ajdarevic in the line up.

• T69 said:

Scoham said:

@MrAndyAnsah
    I won't say no more.

Said the same on Sunday. Perhaps Powell dug his heels in and played 'his' players when asked to use the loanees.

Hopefully this wasn't the case as I wouldn't like to see someone like Powell choosing not to play a stronger team due to prejudice and politics that the players themselves aren't involved in.