Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sheffield United v Charlton QF FA Cup 2014 post-match views

Comments

• The whole club can simply be described as poor.

Team played with a lack of energy and desire

Powell set the team up to be as negative as humanly possible.

Tudgay gets his first start and barely moves.

And to top it all off Duchatelet says our best players (if we ever get any!!) will be sold to Liege!

I love Charlton but the future for our club isn't looking too bright :(
  • @Valiantphil‌

Reza - invisible

What? he had our only decent effort
  • @Valiantphil‌

Reza - invisible

That was Harriot.

Reza is made of Quavers, you could blow him over from where you are standing.
  • @Valiantphil‌

Reza - invisible

And only played for 20 minutes, strange to single him out over others.
  • No. Reza hit the shot that their keeper brilliantly saved.
  • edited March 2014

@Valiantphil‌

Reza - invisible

I think its because he is the player we bought with the Kermorgant money (careful not to use the word "replacement" and we all know that Yann could do so much more than him!

• @Valiantphil‌

Reza - invisible

That was Harriot.

Reza is made of Quavers, you could blow him over from where you are standing.
    Harriott's effort wasn't 'decent' was it? the chance was more than decent, his execution was poor. I'm talking about Reza's injury time shot on the swivel which forced the keeper into his one difficult save. I'm not saying Reza is going to be our saviour but there are plenty of players with more to answer for than him tonight.
    That's the worst I've seen Wiggins play since his very early games.

• wiggins had an absolutely shocking 10 minute spell in that second half. It was embarassing.
  • @Valiantphil‌

Reza - invisible

I think its because he is the player we bought with the Kermorgant money (careful not to use the word "replacement" and we all know that Yann could do so much more than him!

But he is not. He is a 'RD network' player. It is Polish Pete that we are said to have splashed cash on.

• Sponsored links:

• @Valiantphil‌

Reza - invisible

But he is not. He is a 'RD network' player. It is Polish Pete that we are said to have splashed cash on.

He hasn't even played yet, so that's why people are on Reza's back

• My mistake, we had 2 shots on target.
    However, Powell refers to the Harriot effort as the game changer.
    Ididn't single Reza out - I mentioned all 3 of our shot-shy strikers
  • Just back don't mind losing, but not in that way;

1) Powell, has not got a clue clearly playing Cousins in the wrong position, he then takes off Poyet, the only one who could pass the ball, we then totally fall apart.

2) The team, gutless, spineless & no clues going forward.

3) The support, magnificent but badly let down by the negative tactics of the manager & the passionless performance of the players.

Cant see us surviving with these tactics & these players, pissed off very pissed off.
  • To cheer us up a little. On East midland train loo on way back from Sheffield
  • Scoham said:

Andy Ansah (who is close to Powell) on Twitter suggesting a sinister reason for the lack of performance.....

@MrAndyAnsah
    To my fellow #Charlton fans there is disappointment from today's loss.
    The truth will surface behind it.
    I won't say no more.
    If the truth is anything other than, "a bad day at the office and we got it really wrong," I dont want to hear it.
    5 1/2 thousand supporters made the effort and paid plenty of money for that pile of shite performance.
  • @Valiantphil‌

Reza - invisible

He hasn't even played yet, so that's why people are on Reza's back

Why can't he get a full 90 minutes do you think ?
    It's not as if there are better strikers ahead of him is it ?
  • Just back don't mind losing, but not in that way;

1) Powell, has not got a clue clearly playing Cousins in the wrong position, he then takes off Poyet, the only one who could pass the ball, we then totally fall apart.

2) The team, gutless, spineless & no clues going forward.

3) The support, magnificent but badly let down by the negative tactics of the manager & the passionless performance of the players.

Cant see us surviving with these tactics & these players, pissed off very pissed off.

yeah poyet is superb at passing backwards. Was like having 5 at the back
  • We were a poor team before today, and we're still a poor team.
  • Disappointing. Poor game. Thought we matched them until the goals but failed to create anything save for Harriotts effort.

Cousins is not a RW, Jackson was anonymous, Poyet too deep, Wood is cack and Wiggins had a shocker.

Good luck to United in the semi, would have loved to have played Hull at Wembley, what an opportunity for them.

I hope no players say a single thing before Millwall, fed up with a load of talk with nothing to back it up come the game.

After a quick journey home I am just arriving back in SE7 as the sun sets having driven through London watching everyone enjoying the sunshine I missed sitting in a car.
  • vff said:

The lack of a decent strike force is an indictment of Rolands selling and non replacement of the only decent Championship level goal scoring striker, Charlton had at the club. The combination of Powells regularly misset up of the team and Roland's 'vision' (lack of misplaced investment) does not look good for the rest of the season.

Polish Pete must be shite
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm sure we had more than two shots on target. Tudgays in the first half, Hariott had that long shot that was easily caught by the keeper in the first half and Reza's at the end.

Not that it makes a blind bit of difference, I'm just saying.
  • Got home to Dartford bout half hour ago. Posting without reading anyones views.

Typical Charlton bottle jobs again.

I thought we dominated large parts with no real attacking sting. Poyet was immense however Cousins was terrible should have been subbed at half time imo. He needs to play CM or not at all he is never a RM.

Thanks Charlton one time you may turn up...
  • Don't buy that.
    Davo55 said:

Piss poor from start to finish, and Chris Powell and his coaching team bear equal responsibility with the players.

Poyet a very good prospect but let's not kid ourselves - today he sat in front of the back four, collected the short passes and laid it off to someone in space, either backwards or sideways. No creativity and that's what we need.

We can't play 4-4-2 with he players we currently have. Green doesn't have the effort or the bottle and Harriot lacks compousre and intelligence at this early stage of his career. Harriot might improve, Green won't.

We have to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-3-2 with attacking intent.

Hamer

Solly/Nego Morrison Wood/Dervite Wiggins

Cousins Poyet

Wilson Adjarevic Jackson

Tudgay/Reza

or

Hamer

Solly/Nego Morrison Wood/Dervite Wiggins

Cousins

Wilson Adjarevic Jackson

Tudgay Reza

Keeping it tight, nicking a goal, hanging on might, just might get us the occasional win and a few draws - but that just isn't enough. We have to win more games and we have to really go for it now. We can still stay up but we have to completely turn around our form to stand a chance, not carry on doing the same things that are failing. And if we are going to go down, let's at least go with a roar and not a whimper.

Reza is rubbish. Because he's not in the team people assume he's got the answers.
  • The whole club can simply be described as poor.

And to top it all off Duchatelet says our best players (if we ever get any!!) will be sold to Liege!

Like I said earlier. It's not same club I've supported for 20 years....

It's nothing like the old Charlton Athletic.

The new owner has already said he'll be stripping the clubs best assets, so it's only a matter of time before we do a Portsmouth.

I'm tired of getting ripped off, so I'll be watching Welling United from now on instead and watching Charlton's demise from a safe distance.

At least Welling United are a lot cheaper to watch, and they appear to play better than con-artists WE'RE paying £10,000s a month!

• CAFC2785 said:

The whole club can simply be described as poor.

Like I said earlier. It's not same club I've supported for 20 years....

It's nothing like the old Charlton Athletic.

The new owner has already said he'll be stripping the clubs best assets, so it's only a matter of time before we do a Portsmouth.

I'm tired of getting ripped off, so I'll be watching Welling United from now on instead and watching Charlton's demise from a safe distance.

At least Welling United are a lot cheaper to watch, and they appear to play better than con-artists WE'RE paying £10,000s a month!

Righto. Bye

• Just home and with 4 hours to think about it I still have nothing positive to say. No passion, very little creativity, not creating a decent effort on goal against League 1 opposition in a game of that stature is beyond a joke.
  • edited March 2014
    Oakster said:

If only we had a talismanic striker up top who will not only fight for the cause but pull defenders all over the place, creae goals from nothing and genuinely pose a threat from free kicks around the box. If only, if only....

Indeed. This is what I thought a number of times during the game. Old news, I know, but selling Yann was idiotic.
  • edited March 2014
    Valley11 said:

Oakster said:

If only we had a talismanic striker up top who will not only fight for the cause but pull defenders all over the place, creae goals from nothing and genuinely pose a threat from free kicks around the box. If only, if only....

Indeed. This is what I thought a number of times during the game. Old news, I know, but selling Yann was idiotic.
    Agree that's why I can not believe the naivety of many of our supporters saying how good Roland & Katrien are for our club. To my mind they are simply asset stripping & do not care anywhere near the amount they make out about the club. Katrien has not got a great deal of experience & from what I understand is fairly useless.

3rd tier football next season at this rate & it was so, so unnecessary.
  • edited March 2014
    Back home in Northants, haven't read a lot of the above but the first concern I had was 4-1-4-1, why it's a cup match? Go for it. The Sheffield Utd Team must have taken heart from a patently defensive formation. Got us nicely to HT perhaps then go for a 442 or 451. And yes we needed subs but to take off Poyet our only football brain, Wilson who put in a good shift and Church IMHO beggared belief when Cousins, Tugday and Harriott looked the ideal candidates.....but what do I know, I'll stick to drugs!

Let down again but I'll turn up Wednesday night, at least we have a relegation fight to look forward to.
  • Watching Sheff stream forward time and time again - 5 or 6 in the box for every attack set the scene for me. Only one team was likely to score, and they could have had four or 5.
    Just back home replaying the game in my mind all the way.
    Well done Poyet and JJ, but the way we let their players, especially their centre backs run 50 yards-plus time and again was plain embarrassing.
    Horrible horrible time.