Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sheffield United v Charlton QF FA Cup 2014 post-match views

Comments

• I am now back home in Newcastle.I was so disappointed with todays performance.Rarely do we get a chance to show the footballing world that we can play some decent football and today was probably the most inept display I have witnessed after watching about 1000 games over many years.What I dont understand is that most of these players will probably get only one chance in their career to play at Wembley and not one of them seemed interested in making that happen.In any profession surely you want to do the best you can and anyone who performs badly normally gets pulled up for it but I somehow feel thats not going to happen to this poor set of players who simply had no ambition today.
  • Shocking performance: no skill; no guile. We played for an hour as if the the aim was to draw 0-0, then the second they scored we crumbled.

Credit to United, they were without a shred of doubt the better team. Quicker, more skilful, more desire. The fans I met before and after, were friendly and gracious. As a few others have said, I wan't them to win it now.

As for us, the only positive I can take from this is that we won't be humiliated playing like that at Wembley. I genuinely think if we'd played like that against a Prem team we could have been looking at some sort of record defeat.
  • edited March 2014
    One positive I can take out of this is I vowed not to cut my hair until we lost in the FA cup. The Terry Nutkins look is not big or clever!
  • Just got back. What a long miserable journey. The rugby in the walkabout numbed the pain temporarily until we remembered why we were in Sheffield for the weekend and how let down we felt.

The formation was bonkers. Wood is shocking. Never seen him play well. No wonder poyet had to play as an extra centre back and only passed it back or sideways.

Gaping holes all over the place we were 2nd to every ball. The formation didn't work not sure why it didn't change sooner. Forgot tudguy was playing until about 30 mins in. I can't find anything positive to say about any player actually. I did try.

Still had hope at half time but we were essentially dogshit.
  • That was total and utter dross.....to those that moaned about not getting a ticket you were the lucky ones....there is no way this team will stay up....

This game will be a league 1 fixture next season and they will roll us just the same....there was no passing (apart from along the back 4) no threat no influence, i dont care what anyone says we would have taken a 0-0 today and the game was set up that way.

They always had an out ball when we had no-one available. I lost count how many times thir centre half had the ball in his own half and just waltzed with it all the way up to the other end.

Didnt think i would ever think this but Clough as our manager would give us a better chance of staying up.
  • Just in, what a shit day.Charlton you broke my heart today,after Sheffield Utd scored their first I knew it was over, I sat with my head in my hands whilst others stood, I just listened then heard the second go in.I then turned behind me and looked at my son's face the complete disappointment did me,then I looked to my left and looked at Fanny who is a wonderful supporter of our club,and the pain they both were feeling did me in.

when the 2nd went in I looked to my left and saw you with your head in your hands knowing you hadn't even seen it just heard it. No offence meant but it was grim to see. Looking around the supporters with 15 mins to go. Pained faces who 1 hour earlier had been grinning singing and full of enthusiasm. Wind knocked out of them in disbelief of what we had to witness.
  • Not gutted, not even disappointed. Just very, very angry.
  • It was as bad as dans luxury coaches .
  • I think Richard Cawley had it right on Twitter. We had no-one moving up front and that left the midfield with zero options. We need to pick ourselves up for Wednesday or this is going to be a disastrous few weeks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Same old boring shit by Powell. One of our best performences this season was when Cousins and Poyet played in the middle, but yet he still plays him out wide. What an absolute waste. To make things worse his playing Jackson in his position who cant run. How he didn't take Tudgay off was beyond a joke, wtf was he watching, Yes Church is poor but Tudgay was a lot worse.

Had enough of watching this shit football he plays, every game we play to contain the other side for as long as we can and hope for a 0-0 or 1-0 win.

Sick of it now I hope his gone before Millwall.

• well said nicholas
  • In a few hours ago but yet again we've been embarrassed on the telly - if Wembley isn't a big enough incentive for the players wtf is!?? I'm sick and tired of watching this bollocks. I love Chris Powell but we need results and although today wasn't a league game or sums it up. Useless shit! The fans bent over backwards today getting to Sheffield and our reward!? A 2 Bob half hearted performance. Appalling.
  • edited March 2014

Just in, what a shit day.Charlton you broke my heart today,after Sheffield Utd scored their first I knew it was over, I sat with my head in my hands whilst others stood, I just listened then heard the second go in.I then turned behind me and looked at my son's face the complete disappointment did me,then I looked to my left and looked at Fanny who is a wonderful supporter of our club,and the pain they both were feeling did me in.

when the 2nd went in I looked to my left and saw you with your head in your hands knowing you hadn't even seen it just heard it. No offence meant but it was grim to see. Looking around the supporters with 15 mins to go. Pained faces who 1 hour earlier had been grinning singing and full of enthusiasm. Wind knocked out of them in disbelief of what we had to witness.
    I just turned to Joe grabbed hold of him kissed him and said this is Charlton this is what we do.
  • Our weakness is not having a strong reliable striker and that is essentially our Achilles heel.Up until their goal it was even stevens and looked like a nil nil and for some time I thought Powell was playing for this as it was all too cagey. More and more in the second half our defence could not keep pace with their wingers and in many ways were shown up and the goal and their fans sealed it. It was a shame a real shame . Up until that point the whole day was great. Gutted
  • We must be the easiest team to play against. Let our centre backs/Poyet have the ball, pick up our other players, and push up on our full backs. Sooner or later we get back to the keeper or lump it up to our strikers, none of which can challenge effectively in the air. Sooner or later we'll make a mistake at the back too.

Today we looked liked shy of confidence, and worryingly, short of bottle and guts. No bravery in the battle and no bravery on the ball. As the second trundled in I was annoyed at myself for thinking that we might just do it. Was shocked at how badly we crumbled once the goal went in.

AA must start more because he looks to be the only player capable of doing something different and making something happen. He encourages a bit of forward thinking. I think we also need to find somebody to play right back (Nego?) and push Wilson up. He provides some impetus and drive that we seem to lack elsewhere. Cousins needs to be back in the middle too.

Didn't see what happened at the final whistle because I just walked up the stairs. I wasn't fussed about whether they came over or not because I wasn't interested in seeing them.

• Uboat said:

Don't buy that.

Davo55 said:

Piss poor from start to finish, and Chris Powell and his coaching team bear equal responsibility with the players.

Poyet a very good prospect but let's not kid ourselves - today he sat in front of the back four, collected the short passes and laid it off to someone in space, either backwards or sideways. No creativity and that's what we need.

We can't play 4-4-2 with he players we currently have. Green doesn't have the effort or the bottle and Harriot lacks compousre and intelligence at this early stage of his career. Harriot might improve, Green won't.

We have to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-3-2 with attacking intent.

Hamer

Solly/Nego Morrison Wood/Dervite Wiggins

Cousins Poyet

Wilson Adjarevic Jackson

Tudgay/Reza

or

Hamer

Solly/Nego Morrison Wood/Dervite Wiggins

Cousins

Wilson Adjarevic Jackson

Tudgay Reza

Keeping it tight, nicking a goal, hanging on might, just might get us the occasional win and a few draws - but that just isn't enough. We have to win more games and we have to really go for it now. We can still stay up but we have to completely turn around our form to stand a chance, not carry on doing the same things that are failing. And if we are going to go down, let's at least go with a roar and not a whimper.

Reza is rubbish. Because he's not in the team people assume he's got the answers.
    Don't write him off before he has had a proper chance.
  • just saw the posting about the quote on page 2 "Ian Darke on BT sports almost summed it up when the called 4 minutes injury time. He said Charlton need 4 hours. Ian, with that team, and those players, you could play that game for 4 more years and we wouldn't offer anything."

yep, it summed it up, rather neatly..... The first half was rather flat, and from what seemed like a cracking atmosphere Charlton just did not make the most of playing 2 upfront. Poyet looked the most assured Charlton player, which the commentators noted, and I think there was a weak shot at the United keeper first half, and not until extra time a decent shot by the sub. CH miss was well, dreadful!.... and to top it off the double whammy goals, seemed to knock the stuffing out of us?. Been here re: the cup haven't we?. Must admit I am rather fearful of the next couple of matches, the players seemed either nervous or shell shocked the more the game went on. Depressing watching this on TV, must have been sickening, dragging yourself up there before sunrise to experience this. Feel rather embarrassed for such an inept performance by the team. Frankly I am worried, if I was CP, I would be wondering how I get the team/squad up for the next two games......
  • I did the 400 mile round trip today and I've several observations. Unbelievable atmosphere from the start, which initially we coped with better than they did. The players' commitment was undeniable, but as the match progressed and the Blades got a foothold it became apparent that we weren't as up for it as they were. Powell's selection and substitutions made no sense either. What was Tudgay doing out there? Harriot was awful throughout, as was Cousins (5,500 of us knew beforehand he can't play wide). This trio managed to stay on 90 minutes, while Poyet (head and shoulders our best player) was subbed again!..Church aside, we had no movement in front of the ball -which is why Wood and Morrison played keep ball all afternoon- and once again Jackson offered no leadership when the going got tough....Teamwork, as shown in abundance by the hosts, does not come overnight. Unfortunately, time is against us now in the league. It's hard to see where our 3-pointers are going to come from.
  • Just walked in, 9.55, am I the last one back ?

Numbed it a bit on the journey back but absolutely heartbroken. Not been a 'happy chappy' for a little while and have it in my head that we possess some form of self harming / bridesmaid voodoo that overhangs this club.

But I genuinely had this gut feeling something great was going to happen today. Within 20 mins I was looking for a 0-0 and 'bringing them back to our place'

Just feel gutted. Absolutely gutted. We will NEVER get a better success of F Cup success / fluke as this season, it's just gone with a pitiful whisper
  • Sponsored links:

• Blimey AFKA what did you come back in a rickshaw? I was home in Sevenoaks at 17.30 and eating my Sunday dinner at 18.00.
  • Not too long in.

I remember 2 things. One was Morrison and Wood having more touches of the ball than the rest of our team together, yes it's good for a bit of the game, but it was lifeless and pathetic as we were going nowhere. Two, two of their players cutting in and slicing straight through our team and it opening up for a shot/pass to wing for them to whip in, was like kids football how easy it was for them.

Not a happy bunny, don't like what's going on on and off the pitch atm.
  • Poor performance apart from Poyet who was collecting the ball and looking to play it forward....who to? Absolutely no movement awful. Would have had Astrit on at half time for Tudgay and Reza on much earlier. We never, ever looked like we were going for it. Spent 4 hours in the car telling my 8 year old that supporting Charlton is tough going at times, you have to take the downs as we'll as the ups. Not feeling positive that many ups are on the horizon at the moment. Think he's been sufficiently brainwashed to stick with it....poor lad.
  • Today was like next week will be we ask for one performance not to win but turn up it will be the same next Saturday heartless
  • Am so glad I didn't go but well done to all those who did. This was awful, never looked like getting a result, too many kids and the experienced players let them down. Cousins out wide....might as well be on the bench; two diminutive strikers who have to deal with a constant stream of high balls because the central midfield are playing so deep the defenders end up pumping pointless high balls after countless sideways and backward passes. Forget the games in hand...from what I have seen this season we are doomed. Can't create, can't score. The league table doesn't lie, we're where we deserve to be and I will be amazed if we improve any. We have an owner who it appears is prepared to take our best players for his other teams or sell them on - we have now become a 'feeder' team and I don't think he gives a flying f***k whether we stay up or not. In all my 48 years supporting Charlton this is the worst period I can remember and I see NO light at the end of the tunnel. Oh well, I'm flying out to Las Vegas on Thursday for a week but I will be in my usual seat Wednesday night but at least I won't have to endure watching another defeat by the Spanners!
  • been in about 30 mins feck knows how much the weekend end cost------they will ALWAYS embarrass you its what we do CAFC.

sick of bollox excuses about new owners, wait for this wait for that-----RD your shitand your pool club idea can fuck off.

Powell something is deeply wrong and you are without doubt part of it.

As for the players coming over at the end yes some tried but im glad in many ways they couldnt hear what they were being called--basically it was spineless bottlers who should all do one ---or variations on that theme.

i couldnt believe the optimism on saturday night and sunday morning FFS wake up this is CAFC if they can give you a micro lift they sure as hell will kick you in the gonads.

staying up FFS dont make me laugh a 2 bob outfit the ONLY club that could get new owners and be an instant laughing stock

total and utter humiliation ? no that comes next Saturday

• Powell decided to leave before K.O.?

Or something like players are ill/unable to sleep beforehand?

Scoham said:

Andy Ansah (who is close to Powell) on Twitter suggesting a sinister reason for the lack of performance.....

@MrAndyAnsah
    To my fellow #Charlton fans there is disappointment from today's loss.
    The truth will surface behind it.
    I won't say no more.
  • You really should not come on and make comments like this without backing it up....either piss or get off the pot! We have endured enough crap today without unfounded rumours and idle gossip which you probably would not have posted had we won and got to Wembley!