Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sheffield United v Charlton QF FA Cup 2014 post-match views

Comments

• Actually, how we played yesterday - passing back 4 then long balls dealt with by big defenders EVERY time - no ideas how to break teams down reminds me of Millwall home. Glad to see that months later, we've learned from our mistakes, and rectified all the problems in time for our away game.
  • Feel totally let down. I shouldn't let bother me but I do. There was no desire or fight. Sorry I blame Powell for this and want him to go but I honestly don't know who would be a better choice. It's supposed to be fun watching football but it's not at the moment.
  • At least the Old The Loyal Britons had a decent pint. Feel very, very sorry for everyone who had that long, long painful trip home from Sheffield after that spineless performance. In hindsight I would rather have gone out to Oxford. I really would.
  • What a waste of money, getting up at 4.30am.
    Nearly 11 hours on a coach, then watch a load of crap.
    Sheff Utd wanted the game much more than us!
    24 goals in the league all season says it all.
    Perhaps the players read the Sunday piece from Roland about
    us being a feeder club for Standard Leige and they are as pissed off as I am.
    Clearly need a striker who can win balls in the air (oh we've just lost one).
    Cousins not good without Stephens in the middle. Why is he now playing out of position?
    Relegation certainties if we play like that again.
    Even Yeovil are making better signings (Miller 2 on sat)!
  • Tale of 2 managers.

They had son of Brian, we had son of Curbs.

nuff said.
  • Such a waste of an opportunity.

It was just Jank. The way we passed it around the back 4 with no urgency was frustrating, but keeping possession I appreciate. Its more that we then seem to lump it up to Church who does the most embarassing attempt at a headed challenge and Tudgay who tried to header but failed. They had two huge centre backs and for those two it was bread and butter. Countless times Poyet had it and looked up only to see Church and Tudgay standing next to the CB static. A bit of movement and quick passing might have seen us in behind or create more space behind or between the defence.

We need to play more attacking, more urgency and more direct. Oh and on the floor.

And if I see Church 'strike' a shot at goal only for it to scuff and pea roll into the goalies hands one more time I might just explode.

So dejected. The only way they are going to make up for it is for us to annihilate Millwall at the weekend. And we all know that is not going to happen.

• Just feel gutted. Absolutely gutted. We will NEVER get a better success of F Cup success / fluke as this season, it's just gone with a pitiful whisper

Strongly disagree with those that say this was our best chance of getting to a Cup semi.

When we played Middlesbrough, we were a top flight side with quality players.

The current Charlton team is bottom of the league, with a below par squad and lacking confidence. It shouldn't come as that much off a surprise that we lost yesterday.

What was hardest to watch was the manner in which we were defeated.

Did we give it our best yesterday? I hope not or we are done for the season
  • seen the goals and now for Wiggins is a fault big time for the first not Wood as I first thought, and Harriotts was a sitter which I didn't think it was at the time, and today I feel 10 times worse then yesterday absolutely devastated.
  • First goal was bad defending and yes, Harriot did miss a sitter.
  • Gutted. Hungover. Tired.
  • Sponsored links:

• seen the goals and now for Wiggins is a fault big time for the first not Wood as I first thought, and Harriotts was a sitter which I didn't think it was at the time, and today I feel 10 times worse then yesterday absolutely devastated.

Wiggins was shocking yesterday
  • edited March 2014

Ive had a sleep on it and so here my take on it…..

No passion, No Desire, No skill, No flair, No fight, No ideas, No passing, No movement, No chance.

These are basically our tactics…..wood to morrison, out to wiggins, back into wood, walks forward…clip…headed away. Repeat.

After about 5-10 minutes it was so obvious that they had two big immobile centre half's, so why keep Tudgay in the hole??? They need dragging apart. When the ball did find its way to Poyet, he had nothing. Not one option.

The whole tactics were appalling today and we matched by the performance.

Sheff Utd sat back, and we had nothing. Not a clue.

Awful game.

Summed up perfectly for me. All the way home yesterday just kept thinking to myself why am I going to the shithole next sat when I know exactly what will happen
  • We didn't turn up (the team that is) .. outthought, outfought, outbottled, eventually outclassed .. now back to the bread & butter matter of survival .. I just hope that a few hundred of the massed CAFC 'supporters' who turned out for this one will show up and support the team at places like Nottingham and Derby, easy to get to and the promise of good games ..
  • edited March 2014
    Going out to a lower opposition is normal for us, so nothing new there. But it's the manner we went out that i feel disappoints most fans. Also the chance of a trip to Wembley is what sticks in the throat. Some of our fans have never seen us at Wembley and the way we're headed, are unlikely too either. My dad's been supporting the Reds since the early 50's and he's never seen us at Wembley in the FA Cup, such is the rarity, but that's football. Sheff U, were favourites, no doubting that. The bookies don't gamble. like we do, laying out good money, going to matches, in the expectation hope that we might win put in a decent performance.

I felt first half we were up for it and although we had little to threaten their goal, our defence were holding strong and never really worried. The two goals though, say it all about the Charlton we've come to support today. We haven't got any 'quality' in our forwards and at a time when the shit was starting to hit the fan, 'most' club owners would be, EITHER; pushing the panic button and sacking the manager, or, pushing the panic button and spending money on solving the problem with buying KNOWN quality.

Our club owner has CHOSEN to do neither and for me that speaks volumes about the direction we as a club are going. I whole heartedly believe that RD is not pleased with what he is getting for his investment so far, but i also whole heartedly believe that he doesn't give an ounce of emotions about what it feels like for the life long fans going through this awful time. He's a businessman and as other fans have said at his other clubs, he isn't in football for the glory, far from it, he's in it for profit, and if the Poundland model is more profitable than Waitrose, then that's the model he will stick to. At the end of the day if we go down, Charlton have cost him £10m, which for a League One club of our size, has to be cheap. He can then keep costs to a minimum, by not renewing the contracts of his home nations players (unless they are of financial value) and then set about hiring migrant workers from other EU countries. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a race issue, it's all about economics. Unfortunately we've become accustomed to foreign owners coming to England and splashing the cash to achieve success. With Roland we have a new type of owner and unfortunately for us, he is trying this new model of buy-em-cheap, stack-em-high, club ownership. Time will tell whether for RD it works as a financial investment, but something tells me that the only possible loser is the fans. I have no doubt that RD will have looked at all the angles and if there was any way he could lose money, then he wouldn't be our owner. His passion for success is born out of passion to make money, not wining hearts and titles.

"POWELL IF YOU'RE LISTENING, LEAVE THE CLUB NOW AND DON'T RETURN UNTIL THE EXPERIMENT IS OVER. WHEREVER WE ARE AT THAT TIME YOU'LL BE WELCOMED BACK BY ALL MOST MANY CHARLTON FANS."

Rant over!
  • My fear is that teams around us will come and do exactly what Sheff United did and we won't know how to break them down.

Something seriously needs to be done on our attacking plans. Starting two forwards and AA would be a start.

That is exactly right and is the big worry. It's no coincidence that three of our four home wins have been against teams which know they are much better than us and, as result, came to attack, enabling us to sit and counter and hope to get lucky. We worked hard, as ever, and did get lucky against Leicester, Brighton and QPR. Even Doncaster, our only other home win, came to play. Yeovil and Barnsley won't do that though or Bolton or Blackburn et al.

Against sides that set up more defensively we have been clueless since returning to the Championship. We lack the ability to keep possession, we lack movement, have no fluency and simply don't have the guile to open sides up. We don't even have any invention at dead ball situations.

We don't have the best players in the League for sure and in that sense Chris Powell is up against it, but I simply don't believe this is all about the players. Powell and his coaching staff simply don't seem able to improve, technically the squad they're working with, either individually or collectively. That's a major failing I'm afraid.

It's very hard to be optimistic about the run in. Our game plan seems to be to work hard and hope something breaks. That failed miserably yesterday and in the absence of divine intervention it's hard to see it being enough to get us out of the bottom three.
  • . I just hope that a few hundred of the massed CAFC 'supporters' who turned out for this one will show up and support the team at places like Nottingham and Derby, easy to get to and the promise of good games ..

Maybe if we'd won yesterday, some would want to come back for more, but seeing that performance probably does more to put people off coming than get their taste buds wet. Almost every time we've done football for a fiver against minor clubs, we've been done over and the gates return to normal figures immediately.

As for the floating fans, probably some of those watching us yestersay weren't even Charlton, they were just up for a day out with mates. I know of a few in the home end that are Rotherham fans just turning up for the 'big game'. Our away support is unlikely to increase during this run in, so those that always turn up probably will continue and those that won't, won't!
  • Looked to me as though Harriott was always stretching to connect with his chance.

He went for the correct (arguably only) part of the goal he could but unfortunately slotted it the wrong side of the post.

Better players than him would have missed that too.
  • Long day leaving Edinburgh at 4.30am, lots of driving, leaving full of hope (I tried to convince myself anyway), and 90 minutes of what I would consider one of the poorest performances I've witnessed from a Charlton team. Not a red-letter day for sure!

But, thankfully only a 2 hour drive home (I know a lot longer for most on here), on reflection I was a fool to dream of any other result, I refuse to accept that any CAFC player went out deliberately to not put in effort, and the reality is that the better (still not good) team won due to our shortcomings. Met a Charlton fan on the northbound M1 and whilst eating a Burger King (my doctor would cringe) we recounted happier days supporting Charlton.

By the time I arrived home I was in a much better mood, philosophical about the day, and hoping (more than expecting) that we can do enough to stay up helped with the support the club absolutely needs from all of us.

I've always tried to keep things in perspective and all that happened is that we lost a game of football. Nobody died.

Cheer up, keep the faith and accept what we all signed up for when choosing to support CAFC.
  • Ive had a sleep on it and so here my take on it…..

No passion, No Desire, No skill, No flair, No fight, No ideas, No passing, No movement, No chance.

These are basically our tactics…..wood to morrison, out to wiggins, back into wood, walks forward…clip…headed away. Repeat.

After about 5-10 minutes it was so obvious that they had two big immobile centre half's, so why keep Tudgay in the hole??? They need dragging apart. When the ball did find its way to Poyet, he had nothing. Not one option.

The whole tactics were appalling today and we matched by the performance.

Sheff Utd sat back, and we had nothing. Not a clue.

Awful game.

Pretty much how i saw it too, all i'd add to that was why the f*ck was Cousins on the right wing? It was bad enough starting him there, but to then keep him there when it was obvious after 15-20 minutes he would have no impact there is unbelievable. Pathetic performance, but not unexpected. 5 cup quarter finals in my lifetime, 5 defeats.
  • yesterday is going to take a hell of a lot to get over.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2014
    I've given myself 24 hours to let yesterday's performance sink in and I'm still incandescent. The so called players and Powell's management team should pay all the costs for each and every one of us poor saps that were conned in to going up to Bramall Lane on the pretext that a team purporting to be Charlton Athletic would compete in a football match. It simply didn't happen. A squad of players was selected, 11 of whom strolled out on to the pitch at the appointed time and there the similarity to what we could expect ended. Square pegs in round holes, proven failures selected yet again, plan A (and that's being kind) was simplistic and entirely unsuited to the personnel chosen, no plan B, let alone C and nothing but pouting from the dugout when the enthusiasm of United's honest journeymen prevailed.
    We were conned pure and simple.
    "An opportunity missed" ffs that is some shameless disrespectful falsehood right there, weasel words Chris and you know it. An opportunity declined, scorned more like.
    Of those who appeared (not more than that) yesterday only 1 retains any credibility: Diego Poyet, and he looked shagged out after 40 or so minutes from the thankless task of carrying everybody else.
    Even before Saturday's unfortunate set of results in the league, Charlton had a mountain to climb to avoid relegation but it is perfectly apparent that ship has now sailed because if Sunday's once in a career opportunity inspires that shameful debacle, league relegation will come as merciful release around 5th April with no more points scored. Millwall should be able to get in plenty of shooting practice and sort out their goal difference on Saturday.
    Renew my season ticket? Not even funny.
  • Tudgay was a waste of space and honestly reckon he may aswell have not been there. Morrison and Wood held 99% of our posession, then one of them chipped it into the channels and that was that. Perhaps we tried too hard, or just not good enough. Was shite none the less.

• The so called players and Powell's management team should pay all the costs for each and every one of us poor saps that were conned in to going up to Bramall Lane on the pretext that a team purporting to be Charlton Athletic would compete in a football match. It simply didn't happen.

Do you really think that? Come on, it was shit admittedly, that's football surely, It's been a rubbish season. Our players simply don't have ability that is superior to a League 1 team, we've know that for ages. We could be better organised, use better tactics. The whole season has been a shambles from the top down but I didn't go to Bramall Lane thinking it was suddenly all going to be put right. I hoped it might but knew the score...as it were!
  • Nug - yep sincerely: we were let down from start to finish, the opposition wasn't great and they got a small slice of luck with the 2nd goal but an acceptable level of professionalism from 50% or more of charlton's rabble would have seen a different result.
    I can accept defeats by better teams, bad reffing decisions and genuine bad luck occasionally turn results but yesterday's showing was unacceptable by all sorts of measures and those that went don't deserve to be out of pocket.
  • Dizzle said:

Such a waste of an opportunity.

It was just Jank. The way we passed it around the back 4 with no urgency was frustrating, but keeping possession I appreciate. Its more that we then seem to lump it up to Church who does the most embarassing attempt at a headed challenge and Tudgay who tried to header but failed. They had two huge centre backs and for those two it was bread and butter. Countless times Poyet had it and looked up only to see Church and Tudgay standing next to the CB static. A bit of movement and quick passing might have seen us in behind or create more space behind or between the defence.

We need to play more attacking, more urgency and more direct. Oh and on the floor.

And if I see Church 'strike' a shot at goal only for it to scuff and pea roll into the goalies hands one more time I might just explode.

So dejected. The only way they are going to make up for it is for us to annihilate Millwall at the weekend. And we all know that is not going to happen.

Spot on.
  • Again, like a lot of people , have left my comments for 24 hours thinking i would calm down after that pile of shite that was served up to 5500 good people. However, i feel even more annoyed of the 300 quid and 2 days that i will never get back again in my life - and all for that pile of dung from players/coaches that had the temerity to serve up .
    They should all be totally ashamed of themselves - so much so, that they should offer to pay us back.
    As to the players clapping at the end, i just didnt care - i just sat there in total dismay and embarassment that i could be associated with a club that gave such a clueless,inept - and those other words that everyone else have already used, performance - i just sat there and looked at them trying to give us applause - i hoped they noticed - they certainly looked a bit sheepish - i doubt it somehow. I didnt get to boo them, but in hindsight wish i had joined in - suppose i was just so gobsmacked that any football team could have provided a display like that.
    They can all go feck themselves - TBH, it has just left me feeling so empty that i just dont give a stuff about relegation now - lets get it over and done with.
  • Reading this thread and the Player Marks thread and seeing the criticism aimed at Cousins and Church and the seemingly unanimous praise for Poyet, I was wondering if I was watching the same match as most other people. To check my sanity I googled player stats for the game and the first site I found was this which pretty much rates the player performances exactly as I did.
  • Our strikers are awful. Reza has to play. He's a proven goalscorer for Iran and in the limited time he's played for us he's hit bar and post. Forced the only save from their keeper yesterday. He has the right idea.
    Charlton fans seem to love useless strikers who run around a lot with poor shooting ability. We need goals and lightweight or not he has to play
  • Kermy said:

Our strikers are awful. Reza has to play. He's a proven goalscorer for Iran and in the limited time he's played for us he's hit bar and post. Forced the only save from their keeper yesterday. He has the right idea.
    Charlton fans seem to love useless strikers who run around a lot with poor shooting ability. We need goals and lightweight or not he has to play

Trouble is that's all we are left to love after Yann went, Polish Pete came and went? and Gucci came with a fan fare and got blown out ;-(