Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

VIP meetings

Comments

• edited February 2015
    stonemuse said:

Have watched the video through and my take is that a lot of griping is being made about not a lot.

The air-con remark was a throw away point highlighting one of many areas that money will be spent.

I personally think Katrien showed herself in a positive light, she answered all questions asked of her and didn't hide behind anyone/anything to avoid them. She came across honest even when the answer was not what people wanted to hear, for instance her final point that RD will not be at any meetings and communication is through her. To put it in perspective, Richard Branson owns numerous worldwide companies, does he meet with all his customers? does he attend every meeting? or does he appoint people he trusts to act on his behalf with his best interests at heart?

I think its evident that the management structure at the club have made mistakes over the past 12 months, with communication, player recruitment etc. But its a learning curve for them too. They have showed they have invested in the squad, training ground and valley facilities, all off which was due. I personally think this byes them some time to learn from their mistakes.

As for the manager appointment process, I think a lot of people need to get off their high horses. I have never known any business reveal details of rejected interviewees for a position, let alone in the world of football management. As previously stated on here, how would those managers feel, or potentially how would the clubs they may be currently employed with feel. Does anybody know who was interviewed and rejected at QPR, Forest, Norwich, Blackpool or Birmingham this season alone?
    Certain communication does need to be improved, but an open book has and will never happen, so stop criticising on those grounds.

As for GL not being there, I'm glad, his main job and what he is paid to do is win football matches and I'm sure being at Reading last night would better suit that than being at the Valley.

Anyway that's my thoughts for what its worth.

Biut does Richard Branson monitor everything that goes on in those companies to the extent Roland is portrayed as doing by Katrien. Is he constantly on the phone to his executives every day or does he let them manage? I think the line that Katrien is in charge is the big con here. She's a human shield for her boss.
    I would say the difference is that RD micro-manages.
    Agree. An the interesting question is, does he micromanage his four main businesses which have done so well, in the same way? Does he fire the sales director of one of them every time a quarterly sales target is missed? I am trying to find out, but I bet he does not. So the question is then why he thinks the management principles fly out of the window when it comes to football. One possible answer, and not a very palatable one, is that he doesn't think of his football venture as business. Not in the sense that he sees it as a way to make big money, and has that burning desire to make big money. Maybe more some kind of hobby where he is proving some point (to an unknown audience, but presumably not football fans). I don't like or accept the Branson analogy at all, but if you must, I suppose football is his Virgin Galactica.
  • Have watched the video through and my take is that a lot of griping is being made about not a lot.

The air-con remark was a throw away point highlighting one of many areas that money will be spent.

I personally think Katrien showed herself in a positive light, she answered all questions asked of her and didn't hide behind anyone/anything to avoid them. She came across honest even when the answer was not what people wanted to hear, for instance her final point that RD will not be at any meetings and communication is through her. To put it in perspective, Richard Branson owns numerous worldwide companies, does he meet with all his customers? does he attend every meeting? or does he appoint people he trusts to act on his behalf with his best interests at heart?

I think its evident that the management structure at the club have made mistakes over the past 12 months, with communication, player recruitment etc. But its a learning curve for them too. They have showed they have invested in the squad, training ground and valley facilities, all off which was due. I personally think this byes them some time to learn from their mistakes.

As for the manager appointment process, I think a lot of people need to get off their high horses. I have never known any business reveal details of rejected interviewees for a position, let alone in the world of football management. As previously stated on here, how would those managers feel, or potentially how would the clubs they may be currently employed with feel. Does anybody know who was interviewed and rejected at QPR, Forest, Norwich, Blackpool or Birmingham this season alone?
    Certain communication does need to be improved, but an open book has and will never happen, so stop criticising on those grounds.

As for GL not being there, I'm glad, his main job and what he is paid to do is win football matches and I'm sure being at Reading last night would better suit that than being at the Valley.

Biut does Richard Branson monitor everything that goes on in those companies to the extent Roland is portrayed as doing by Katrien. Is he constantly on the phone to his executives every day or does he let them manage? I think the line that Katrien is in charge is the big con here. She's a human shield for her boss.
    Branson doesn't sit on the board of any of the companies within the Virgin group. In fact he has almost nothing to do with most of the businesses that use the brand name - other than to act as an ambassador for them.
    To a significant extent, he makes his money by licensing the use of the brand. (Or has very significant joint enterprise stakeholders, for example Delta Air Lines owns 49% of Virgin Atlantic. Stagecoach 49% of Virgin Trains, etc, etc.)
  • edited February 2015

stonemuse said:

Have watched the video through and my take is that a lot of griping is being made about not a lot.

Agree. An the interesting question is, does he micromanage his four main businesses which have done so well, in the same way? Does he fire the sales director of one of them every time a quarterly sales target is missed? I am trying to find out, but I bet he does not. So the question is then why he thinks the management principles fly out of the window when it comes to football. One possible answer, and not a very palatable one, is that he doesn't think of his football venture as business. Not in the sense that he sees it as a way to make big money, and has that burning desire to make big money. Maybe more some kind of hobby where he is proving some point (to an unknown audience, but presumably not football fans). I don't like or accept the Branson analogy at all, but if you must, I suppose football is his Virgin Galactica.
    There are many examples of owners successful in business being absolute pratts in football, palace have a prime example, it could well be that RD is the same or he could be a visionary, I suspect regardless if tonight, we shall see in time.
  • edited February 2015
    Just watched the video, very flat, a great chance with the meeting tonight for them to get in first yet once again im left feeling that we seem to get answers that only really make sense if you fail to think about it too much, especially Katrien often playing the victim card to deflect from a more detailed answer to a hard question.

The last answer though sadly is the big one, could not be more clear that Roland does not have any plans to talk to the fans of his clubs in an organised way like last night, which is why the meeting tonight is so important, as we dont just have to accept that.

Decided to cheer myself up after by watching the 15 minutes of highlights from the Brentford game, play more like that for the rest of the season and the worry that all the great work CP(and others) did will not be completely undone by us finding ourselves back in League 1.

• cafcfan said:

Branson doesn't sit on the board of any of the companies within the Virgin group. In fact he has almost nothing to do with most of the businesses that use the brand name - other than to act as an ambassador for them.
    To a significant extent, he makes his money by licensing the use of the brand. (Or has very significant joint enterprise stakeholders, for example Delta Air Lines owns 49% of Virgin Atlantic. Stagecoach 49% of Virgin Trains, etc, etc.)
    Wonder if he fancies buying a football club ;-)
  • Kap10 said:

stonemuse said:

There are many examples of owners successful in business being absolute pratts in football, palace have a prime example, it could well be that RD is the same or he could be a visionary, I suspect regardless if tonight, we shall see in time.
    Do you think Steve Parish is a prat? I think he went through a wobbly phase but has now recovered his nerve and his principles. I hate to say this but there is a lot both the club and indeed us fans could learn from Crystal Palace right now if we could see past our tribal prejudice (and I bow to no one in my tribal prejudice against them :-))

Among the most dangerous people I've met in business are those who think of themselves as visionaries.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was going to see a film tonight - "Kingsman: Secret service" or something like that. The wife's arranged it but I'm sorely tempted to stop home and see how much intrigue there is in this one.
  • Kap10 said:

stonemuse said:

Do you think Steve Parish is a prat? I think he went through a wobbly phase but has now recovered his nerve and his principles. I hate to say this but there is a lot both the club and indeed us fans could learn from Crystal Palace right now if we could see past our tribal prejudice (and I bow to no one in my tribal prejudice against them :-))

Among the most dangerous people I've met in business are those who think of themselves as visionaries.
    No I was talking about the guy who brought in Terry Venables and lost all his money on Palace.
  • edited February 2015
    Some of you are just programmed to not be happy with anything Katrien says and looking for holes in everything .
    Avory said rd is and wAntss the club at level 1 academy the other bloke said plans have been submitted. Wait to see them.

KM is damned if she does damned if she doesn't with a lot

I reckon RD could sign Lionel messi and you'd still moan .
  • There is some serious insecurity around here

"just can't help but feel she is lying to us again and again"

"time will surely come again when the club needs to raise £1m or so to stay afloat"

cafcfan said:

Wonder if he fancies buying a football club ;-)
    Not if involves paying tax
  • Ledge said:

Some of you are just programmed to not be happy with anything Katrien says and looking for holes in everything .
    Avory said rd is and wAntss the club at level 1 academy the other bloke said plans have been submitted. Wait to see them.

KM is damned if she does damned if she doesn't with a lot

I reckon RD could sign Lionel messi and you'd still moan .

Bloody right Ledge where would Harriot play! He's one of ours...
  • bobmunroe said: "We can disagree of course, and I am certainly not happy with a lot of what's gone on over the past year - but at the end of the day, apart from it being night, there is bugger all we can do to forcibly bring about change unless someone amongst the more vociferous on here can stump up the readies and then convince RD to sell. But for CAFC to survive that person would need to be an astute business person, devoid of the emotion we all feel."

Actually no astute business person is likely to stump up the readies needed to persuade RD to sell, and what we need is the opposite: someone with the emotion to stump up regardless of the lack of a business case.
  • Of all the money on player spending, how much was wasted on players who were not good enough and have moved on?
  • ross1 said:

Of all the money on player spending, how much was wasted on players who were not good enough and have moved on?

is that not the same for all clubs though?
  • bobmunroe said: "We can disagree of course, and I am certainly not happy with a lot of what's gone on over the past year - but at the end of the day, apart from it being night, there is bugger all we can do to forcibly bring about change unless someone amongst the more vociferous on here can stump up the readies and then convince RD to sell. But for CAFC to survive that person would need to be an astute business person, devoid of the emotion we all feel."

Actually no astute business person is likely to stump up the readies needed to persuade RD to sell, and what we need is the opposite: someone with the emotion to stump up regardless of the lack of a business case.

Of course, Bryane - and they grow on trees don't they?
  • Sponsored links:

• Couple of things that stood out for me were that it seems if a player is unhappy (reza and Morrison) and doesn't get his own way he can have meeting and he will be allowed to go. Also it doesn't seem or feel like they are too bothered about the number of fans that are not going to renew next season.

Just want to also say well done to @Covered End for his questions he put to Katrien and co.
  • WSS said:

Classic classroom. ;-)

Really don't know how anyone can't LOL that

• WSS said:

Classic classroom. ;-)

Can see the funny side, but I think that is very unprofessional to say the least.
  • WSS said:

Classic classroom. ;-)

Can see the funny side, but I think that is very unprofessional to say the least.
    She probably did not realise she was doing it herself!

You are very quick to judge.
  • I doubt she even realises what she's doing there....still v funny though
  • WSS said:

Classic classroom. ;-)

Hold up, you think that's intentional???
  • WSS said:

Classic classroom. ;-)

Maybe you should watch the video before judging