Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

VIP meetings

Comments

• Could not have put it any better myself @danhughes99 - my feelings exactly.
  • They have showed they have invested in the squad, training ground and valley facilities

Some new seats at the Valley, but what else ?
    What have they spent at the training ground ?

As for player spend.............we are 4 places (6 points) off relegation, so not sure how effective that has been.
  • Mentioned that Tony Watt wasn't bought with peanuts..

Tony wasn't bought with peanuts no, just a piece of paper addressed Roland, signed by Roland ... simple move of an asset.

To be honest a major point of RD's 'experiment' is to move about players and hopefully burst into profit by buying and improving worth and selling on. Even if at risk of getting that club relegated/missing promotion. The real question I had lingering (before the night was brought to an abrupt end), was.. IF and this is a huge IF, as it is not realistically possible, all clubs break even within the network. What does Roland gain? Realistically. He is not a football fan, he is not a supporter of any of these clubs. I reckon there's more than meets the eye to this man and always have done, tax comes to mind but that's another ball game. Who knows...

Onwards and upwards. Money talks in this world and most certainly in this game.
  • They have showed they have invested in the squad, training ground and valley facilities

Some new seats at the Valley, but what else ?
    What have they spent at the training ground ?

As for player spend.............we are 4 places (6 points) off relegation, so not sure how effective that has been.

What about the pitch?
    They plan to spend a share of upwards of £10m at the training ground.

As for player spend.... It's got us 6 places (8 points) better of than at the same time last year.

Seriously what do you expect!!!!!
  • Wow braydex, you seem a very untrusting, uncompromising person.
  • Whilst I wouldn't expect the names of the other candidates for the 'Head Coach' position be made public, it would be nice for Katrien to explain why Guy Luzon was picked as the best candidate, three months after he had been sacked at Standard Liege.

If RD considered that he wasn't good enough to continue as coach of SL, why was he considered good enough for us?

One was Alan Curbs, they class it as an interview but from what I hear it was something along these lines... Curbs turned up at the Valley and not too long after..

"Would I have full say in picking my team and recruiting players?"
    "No"
    "Thanks and bye.."

Pretty much a non entity these interviews, no English MANAGER* in their right mind would sign up to us, they would be putting their own credentials on the line - managers taking responsibility for losses - some (or all?) of the losses under us would not be 100% their fault, if they are pushed players and not able to craft their own squad to work with.

• There is another ground development in the pipeline which wasn't mentioned last night that many fans will find "exciting".

What is it?
    Bloody new posters asking questions : - )

Sorry, the club will say when it's confirmed but don't worry its not THAT exciting.
    Did I read that right, we're getting a million quids worth of new posters at The Valley? I hope it's the one of the tennis player scratching her bum, will this see Athena return to the High Street?
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry I posted this on the wrong thread, it was supposed to be for this one.

There is a equivocal element to aspects of what is said on the video.

On one level some fans are saying it's all awful, and looks like it will stay that way, and Katrien is saying no it's not, what more can I say, and you have to believe me' almost bordering on Katrien saying 'are you calling me a liar'.
    Katrien has frequently said she is in charge, certainly as the person at the front of the store, and what she says is right, and her integrity ought not to be questioned, she is even borderline insulted if her voracity, and integrity, and her version of events are deemed in any way to lack probity.

However we then get to the bit where fans ask for Roland. Katrien says then that there is no need, she knows what is in his mind and will speak for him, indeed it is as if Roland has given Katrien the role of not only his eyes and ears, but his mouth and voice too.

So we have somebody freely admitting she has no actual autonomy (Je Suis Roland as it were) yet insisting that she is the decision maker and acts with integrity. So if I get this right Katrien is acting with Rolands integrity but not her own. To criticise or question her, is to criticise and question Roland. However she is not a puppet.

It is weird to want it both ways, to say you're following orders, but you actually make the decisions. Katrien repeatedly asserts her personal authority at Charlton Athletic, yet she can't behave with autonomy either. Is this not some kind of mental gymnastics or does it make perfect sense?
  • seth plum said:

Sorry I posted this on the wrong thread, it was supposed to be for this one.

On one level some fans are saying it's all awful, and looks like it will stay that way, and Katrien is saying no it's not, what more can I say, and you have to believe me' almost bordering on Katrien saying 'are you calling me a liar'.
    Katrien has frequently said she is in charge, certainly as the person at the front of the store, and what she says is right, and her integrity ought not to be questioned, she is even borderline insulted if her voracity, and integrity, and her version of events are deemed in any way to lack probity.

However we then get to the bit where fans ask for Roland. Katrien says then that there is no need, she knows what is in his mind and will speak for him, indeed it is as if Roland has given Katrien the role of not only his eyes and ears, but his mouth and voice too.

So we have somebody freely admitting she has no actual autonomy (Je Suis Roland as it were) yet insisting that she is the decision maker and acts with integrity. So if I get this right Katrien is acting with Rolands integrity but not her own. To criticise or question her, is to criticise and question Roland. However she is not a puppet.

It is weird to want it both ways, to say you're following orders, but you actually make the decisions. Katrien repeatedly asserts her personal authority at Charlton Athletic, yet she can't behave with autonomy either. Is this not some kind of mental gymnastics or does it make perfect sense?

Don't think she says that at all.

In response to Pico's request for Roland to come and speak to fans she says communication comes through her and your not going to get a different message from Roland so deal with me, I'm in charge here.
  • Love Jacko even more after this video. Great bloke, quality player for us in his time here, proper leader and I hope he's our manager one day.
  • seth plum said:

Sorry I posted this on the wrong thread, it was supposed to be for this one.

Was thinking the same Seth. She's Bertie big balls but has to go over to Belgium to grovell for some proxy air conditioning!

She is a puppet. The big decisions, ie those involving any sustantial monetary involvement, will most definitely not be made by her.
  • I'm looking forward to seeing Ivan van Johann, our new signing.
  • edited February 2015
    I love the :-

Roland does not invest in the squad ........ OK he does but they are not effective are they.

What investment in The Valley and Training ground, apart from the things they have invested in.

Did not interview any potential replacements for Bob, because if they would not follow the spec that the owners require then they don't count.

There is enough wrong with this regime without creating the issues.

Beyond parody
  • Having read through that lot, all I can determine for sure is that visiting fans will likely change their song from "your grounds too big for you" to "your grounds too good for you."
  • Katrien Meire is well out of her depth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just watched the entire video, wasn't impressed at all to be honest, lots of bland answers (apart from JJ and Watt) and talking about investment in the pitch, training ground, new air con etc. So, unless I didn't hear it, but did anyone ask about any new players coming in (the sound kept cutting out) after-all the meeting was held after we knew that JJ will be out for awhile and the Spurs lad is out for the season, so are we getting any more midfielder players in to help strengthen the squad? JJ actually said we have a small squad - well it just got smaller!! Pity I couldn't hear all the questions but it certainly ended abruptly!!
  • edited February 2015
    bobmunro said:

there is bugger all we can do to forcibly bring about change

Why does it have to be by force?

Remember Aesop's Fable of the North wind and the Sun

https://www.nfb.ca/film/north_wind_and_sun_fable_by_aesop

Of course this works both ways.

Persuading fans works better than telling them that they have to accept things.
  • Until Roland pitches up. Announces we are spending" 50 squilion on players and are on our way to the premier league baby." Then I for one will not be happy.

As you can see, I can't make my mind up about all of these goings on.
  • bobmunro said:

The Oxen and the Butchers?
  • bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

The Oxen and the Butchers?
    Touche'
  • I notice from the write up there was no answer to the question regarding Luzon's wife following CAFC on twitter weeks before he was appointed? Or have i just missed it?

Richard Murray said this wasn't true.
    KM muttered under her breath that Luzon's wife did not have a twitter account.
  • edited February 2015
    WSS said:

I notice from the write up there was no answer to the question regarding Luzon's wife following CAFC on twitter weeks before he was appointed? Or have i just missed it?

Richard Murray said this wasn't true.
    KM muttered under her breath that Luzon's wife did not have a twitter account.
    Well the fake account seems to have a lot of access to photos of Mrs. Luzon:

https://twitter.com/Danafunluzon
    Doesnt look fake to me
  • edited February 2015

Have watched the video through and my take is that a lot of griping is being made about not a lot.

The air-con remark was a throw away point highlighting one of many areas that money will be spent.

I personally think Katrien showed herself in a positive light, she answered all questions asked of her and didn't hide behind anyone/anything to avoid them. She came across honest even when the answer was not what people wanted to hear, for instance her final point that RD will not be at any meetings and communication is through her. To put it in perspective, Richard Branson owns numerous worldwide companies, does he meet with all his customers? does he attend every meeting? or does he appoint people he trusts to act on his behalf with his best interests at heart?

I think its evident that the management structure at the club have made mistakes over the past 12 months, with communication, player recruitment etc. But its a learning curve for them too. They have showed they have invested in the squad, training ground and valley facilities, all off which was due. I personally think this byes them some time to learn from their mistakes.

As for the manager appointment process, I think a lot of people need to get off their high horses. I have never known any business reveal details of rejected interviewees for a position, let alone in the world of football management. As previously stated on here, how would those managers feel, or potentially how would the clubs they may be currently employed with feel. Does anybody know who was interviewed and rejected at QPR, Forest, Norwich, Blackpool or Birmingham this season alone?
    Certain communication does need to be improved, but an open book has and will never happen, so stop criticising on those grounds.

As for GL not being there, I'm glad, his main job and what he is paid to do is win football matches and I'm sure being at Reading last night would better suit that than being at the Valley.

Anyway that's my thoughts for what its worth.

Biut does Richard Branson monitor everything that goes on in those companies to the extent Roland is portrayed as doing by Katrien. Is he constantly on the phone to his executives every day or does he let them manage? I think the line that Katrien is in charge is the big con here. She's a human shield for her boss.
  • Have watched the video through and my take is that a lot of griping is being made about not a lot.

The air-con remark was a throw away point highlighting one of many areas that money will be spent.

I personally think Katrien showed herself in a positive light, she answered all questions asked of her and didn't hide behind anyone/anything to avoid them. She came across honest even when the answer was not what people wanted to hear, for instance her final point that RD will not be at any meetings and communication is through her. To put it in perspective, Richard Branson owns numerous worldwide companies, does he meet with all his customers? does he attend every meeting? or does he appoint people he trusts to act on his behalf with his best interests at heart?

I think its evident that the management structure at the club have made mistakes over the past 12 months, with communication, player recruitment etc. But its a learning curve for them too. They have showed they have invested in the squad, training ground and valley facilities, all off which was due. I personally think this byes them some time to learn from their mistakes.

As for the manager appointment process, I think a lot of people need to get off their high horses. I have never known any business reveal details of rejected interviewees for a position, let alone in the world of football management. As previously stated on here, how would those managers feel, or potentially how would the clubs they may be currently employed with feel. Does anybody know who was interviewed and rejected at QPR, Forest, Norwich, Blackpool or Birmingham this season alone?
    Certain communication does need to be improved, but an open book has and will never happen, so stop criticising on those grounds.

As for GL not being there, I'm glad, his main job and what he is paid to do is win football matches and I'm sure being at Reading last night would better suit that than being at the Valley.

Anyway that's my thoughts for what its worth.

Biut does Richard Branson monitor everything that goes on in those companies to the extent Roland is portrayed as doing by Katrien. Is he constantly on the phone to his executives every day or does he let them manage? I think the line that Katrien is in charge is the big con here. She's a human shield for her boss.
    I would say the difference is that RD micro-manages.