Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yeovil vs. Charlton | Post Match Views 2013

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Melrose said:

Croydon said:

Fair few people on here and facebook saying how we bossed the game, I must've been watching something else because that just wasn't the case. If Yeovil weren't so shite themselves they could've been 2 up before Stewart's moment of magic, and Miller missed a great chance to make it 3-2 at the end. They looked dangerous on every attack, which says more about us then it does them IMO.

We had a good period just before HT, and again at the start of the 2nd half, but apart from that we were cack. Long balls to no one, short passes missing their target, absolutely no movement off the ball. The list could go on.

Stand out performers were Stewart and Wiggins, and Alnwick looked solid. Everyone else was pretty average.

Disagree that we were totally in control, their wide men and Miller forced Alnwick into some saves in the first half and put us under a lot of pressure early on. I thought our goals were completely against the run of play tbh!
  • Options
    Not that it means a lot, but their blokes on the wireless praised Cousins, Stewart, Wiggins and Alnwick. That was from a Yeovil standpoint.
  • Options
    How did Solly play?
  • Options
    timken said:

How did Solly play?

Chased around a bit but didn't look especially comfortable at right-midfield....although we were down to ten men.
  • Options
    So, in control at 2-0 an 18/19 year old with fifteen at most games under his belt has to go off and we fall to pieces. Says it all.
  • Options
    harsh large this is not just any 18/19 yr old this is a new marks and spencer 18/19 yr old 8)
  • Options
    Large - I'm not sure what you think it says. Undoubtably this was a turning point in the game, Whether he is 19, 15 or 40 doesn't make much difference. He has become a crucial player for us.
    For those who are blaming Powell, I think he should be given some credit for getting Cousins to play so well.
  • Options
    redman said:

Large - I'm not sure what you think it says. Undoubtably this was a turning point in the game, Whether he is 19, 15 or 40 doesn't make much difference. He has become a crucial player for us.
    For those who are blaming Powell, I think he should be given some credit for getting Cousins to play so well.

I think it shows how lacking in depth our squad is that a player who was not intended to be a first team regular is now a must have in the team. Its not a criticism of Powell, but a commentary on where we currently are.
  • Options
    That is certainly true.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well Croydon. That sums footy up. Both at the game, but we saw it very differently. However of two things I am quite sure. Had it not been for the unfortunate own goal and Cousins going off, we would have won that game
  • Options
    I'm still trying to work out how come the manager had 4 players on the park at the same time who have no legs and physicality, namely, Yann, Hughesy, Quality and (not for long) Jacko. In my experience when defending a lead you need a minimum of 9 players who can match the opposition when it comes to athleticism.
  • Options
    I don't see how Cousins age is relevant to his usefulness.

Back in 1995/96 an 18 year-old Lee Bowyer was absolutely integral to our team, if you took him out we were very average indeed, he scored and made goals.

Cousins is a different sort of player but the comparison stands.
  • Options
    JonnyK said:

I'm still trying to work out how come the manager had 4 players on the park at the same time who have no legs and physicality, namely, Yann, Hughesy, Quality and (not for long) Jacko. In my experience when defending a lead you need a minimum of 9 players who can match the opposition when it comes to athleticism.

Erm, look at the bench???

Evina - No doubt got the legs but he's a LB. Would be a pointless substitution.

Green - Scared of his own shadow, not someone you want to bring on when under the kosh.

Sordell - Apparently doesn't give a shit and understandable playing 1 striker when down to 10.

Solly - Just come back from weeks out injured.

Wood - good head and experience, put at CB when Morrison was sent off.

Our squad is thin. I'm not sure what you really want CP to do???
  • Options
    I just meant that there are players around him with more experience but they fell apart when Jordan went off. I agree that he isn't just any old youngster but we should be able to cope when he went off. For me he is first name on the team sheet now and in my opinion is a fantastic prospect who unfortunately won't be with us for long.
  • Options
    Melrose said:

Well Croydon. That sums footy up. Both at the game, but we saw it very differently. However of two things I am quite sure. Had it not been for the unfortunate own goal and Cousins going off, we would have won that game

I thought that we were looking comfortable and although Yeovil probably had more chances than us, they were largely reduced to long range hopeful efforts that look good on the stats, but would have been lucky to go in.

I think it was mostly down to the freak own goal that made us go wobbly. We are scared of making mistakes and so tend to make more.

After getting a better view on the telly than from the terraces, I can see why Jackson went and have no complaints but I think we were a little unlucky with the pen. I thought there was contact but the lad took a dive to make the most of it.

I had Stewart as our MOM but I thought that we were relying on him too much and should have tried to vary it. Having said that, our forwards didn't seem capable of contributing as they should.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    What a load of old tosh I've read on here. It seems it wasn't the players fault we threw away a 2-0 lead, or CP's fault, or even Alex Dyers fault, but either the ref's fault for giving Yeovil a dodgy pen, or for sending off JJ (or both) or just bad luck that ball hit Morrisson and went in.

TOSH TOSH TOSH.

The best form of defence is attack & Yeovil wouldn't have had the ball in our penalty area in the last 15 mins if we had brought on Sordell & Green and pushed further up the pitch. In God's name how do you expect to win a game of football if you take off a striker and replace him with a defender ( and one that has been out for a few months to boot) leaving just an obviously out of form Kermy up front. Kermy at his best is not a lone striker and prefers to play deep..........so we effectively played the last 10 mins with no forward player to give the ball to and relieve pressure.

I love CP to bits & his love for the club is overwhelming..........but that doesn't mean he is the man for the job. Perhaps it is time for us to employ someone without connections to the club and who can take a step back & take a more subject view.
  • Options
    You need another date my friend.
  • Options
    Seriously you expect us with ten men to go for the win at that stage of the match and season
    Come on Golfie even you're not that much of a chump

• Options
    Golfie in talking complete crap shocker
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wasn't at the game but saw the highlights and read the match reports and frankly it's hard to fathom how we didn't win. But what is clear is that there is a real lack of quality on the squad, we have decent players but no match winners. Also CP's body language at times is one of a man who doesn't know what to do next, the contrast between him and Mick McCathey was really noticeable I thought. Also CP's after match comments are begining to sound like a cracked record trotting out the same statements is to say the least uninspiring.
    But I have said it before no money, players and manager with no contract renewal negotiations, small wonder motivation is low. I hope for the best always but fear the worst this season I really hope I am wrong.
  • Options

The best form of defence is attack & Yeovil wouldn't have had the ball in our penalty area in the last 15 mins if we had brought on Sordell & Green and pushed further up the pitch. In God's name how do you expect to win a game of football if you take off a striker and replace him with a defender ( and one that has been out for a few months to boot) leaving just an obviously out of form Kermy up front. Kermy at his best is not a lone striker and prefers to play deep..........so we effectively played the last 10 mins with no forward player to give the ball to and relieve pressure.

I can guarantee had we done that we would have lost and now been in the bottom 3. Some of our supporters don't really know reality.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Seems to me that we lost that crucial goal to the sort of luck we haven’t been seeing much of lately. Terrible reffing not playing advantage against Ipswich, dodgy ref decision for clear penalty against Reading and bad luck letting Yeovil back in the game. With the coin falling our way- we could be looking at 5 more points from those three. That is the way it goes and maybe it will fall our way soon. We have to take the positives! You can’t legislate for bad luck!
  • Options

Seems to me that we lost that crucial goal to the sort of luck we haven’t been seeing much of lately. Terrible reffing not playing advantage against Ipswich, dodgy ref decision for clear penalty against Reading and bad luck letting Yeovil back in the game. With the coin falling our way- we could be looking at 5 more points from those three. That is the way it goes and maybe it will fall our way soon. We have to take the positives! You can’t legislate for bad luck!

That's the kind of common sense I like to hear , Mutts.

Earlier in the season I remember Dave Jones saying that the Massive were playing decent football but not getting any luck or the breaks needed to capitalise on it.

Like other Lifers, I read that and chortled to myself...excuses, excuses.

But now the boot's on the other foot and I can empathise with him. We're definitely not on Lady Luck's Xmas list this year .

But we'll move on with what we have at our disposal & trust in SCP and his lads to perform miracles against opposition that's enjoyed the luxury of being strengthened recently , ready for the glut of matches over the Xmas period.

Keep the faith !
  • Options
    Yes, all the things I have mentioned in recent matches have largely been the difference and out of our hands! Now, people will say - that's the way it goes! and that is true - but I don't see how we can blame Powell for it, I was critical of him last season when we lost to Palace away but it sounds like Saturday was different.
  • Options
    Surely most of us would have accepted one point if offered it before the game. Face it, without new investment we are in deep shit, so shout louder !
  • Options
    I suspect we will be ok this season. It can all go wrong - but we are better than bottom 3 ability wise.
  • Options

I suspect we will be ok this season. It can all go wrong - but we are better than bottom 3 ability wise.

Sadly its not always the worst three teams that go down. What will do for us will be our threadbare squad and that cannot be laid at CP's door. There are choices that he has made that we can all question, but his options are limited. If we are to survive then we need investment.

• Options
    Why do you lot let golf wind you up, he or she has been a wum since net addicks

Good result for us, roll on Derby

In Chris Powell I trust
  • Options
    Played very well 1st half thought ref was shocking 2nd half couldn't wait to give that penalty & I thought at time ,and seen it 3 times on TV, that Jackson tackle never a red . Yellow maybe .
    Missed cousins big time when he went off