Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Beer

Comments

• I visited the Dartford Working Men's Club last weekend and enjoyed Kelham Island's Chasing Casks Irish Stout (4.1% ABV) and Dark Star's Imperial Stout (10.5% ABV). Both were superb.
    All the cask beers - and there were lots of them - were priced at £2.65 a pint.

Working Mens Clubs are not businesses. They do not strive to make a profit but simply cover their costs.
  • This place works, 95p a pint!

Off to Cracovia v Wroclaw tonight.

Do you post on that FB page about grounds and stadiums?
  • edited December 2018

I visited the Dartford Working Men's Club last weekend and enjoyed Kelham Island's Chasing Casks Irish Stout (4.1% ABV) and Dark Star's Imperial Stout (10.5% ABV). Both were superb.
    All the cask beers - and there were lots of them - were priced at £2.65 a pint.

Sister and her hubby often go there....they love it.

No mate, only on here and not606.

OK, saw a post on a FB page, someone went to that game you were at Cracovia.

OK, saw a post on a FB page, someone went to that game you were at Cracovia.
    Weird, but certainly not me.
  • Not a beer, but I've just discovered Old Mout Cider, not normally in to fruity alcoholic drinks but these are really good.
  • Currently enjoying a bottle of Proper Black "Black IPA" at 6%. The label says close your eyes and you'll think this dark beer is an IPA. I disagree - it's very stouty. Very good, but very stouty.
  • IdleHans said:

Currently enjoying a bottle of Proper Black "Black IPA" at 6%. The label says close your eyes and you'll think this dark beer is an IPA. I disagree - it's very stouty. Very good, but very stouty.

Yeah definitely tastes like a stout. Which is fine by me - it's a decent one.
  • edited December 2018
    STIG'S YEAR IN BEER 2018

THE GOOD

Best Beer: Caramel Stout 4.8% from Grafton, it's sumptuous taste is amazing for a beer under five percent.

Best Continental Beer: Monarchie 13° 5.5% from Loď Pivovar. Great flavoursome beer.

Best Bottled Beer: Imperial Russian Stout 10.5% from Alchemy Brewing. Wonderful stuff for sipping or as a meal accompaniment. Available from Waitrose.

Best Canned Beer: Whittaker’s Creamy Milk Chocolate Beer 4.7% from Garage Project, New Zealand. Some funny widget action going on here, but the beer tastes great and is really smooth.

Most Original Flavour: Cherry Dark 4.4% from Titanic. Slightly medicinal. Reminded me of Cherry Tunes.

Other Worthy Mentions: Super Duper Deluxe Chocolate Stout 8.5% from The New Bristol Brewery. Tasted like an explosion in a chocolate factory; Salvation #7 - Rocky Road 5.2% from Abbeydale. One of (at least) ten different flavoured stouts produced by this brewery; Mauldons Blackberry Porter 4.8%; Green Jack's Ripper 8.5%; Flekovský ležák 13° 4.6%;

Best Pub (over all): The Lulworth Cove Inn, Dorset.

Best Pub (beer selection): The Peterboat, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex. Over 40 ales, but we were lucky enough to bumble into their beer festival. Best selection under normal circumstances: 'Drink?' bar, Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire.

Best Pub (friendly helpful barstaff): The Lulworth Cove Inn, Dorset.

Best Pub (food): The Carpenters Arms, Harlington, Bedfordshire. Their haloumi stack is a thing of wonder.

Best Pub (service): Hush, Southend, Essex. By night it's Southend's premier gay bar, but by day it is my family's private drinking club. The service we get is fantastic.

Best Pub (value): The Brown Cow, Lancaster sells their Thwaits Original for a little over £2. Not bad - even for oop north.

Best Pub (look and feel): U Fleků, Prague. Big halls with long bench tables like they are going to serve a banquet at any moment. They only serve one beer though, their Flekovský ležák 13°. Take it or leave it. I loved their confidence in their product as well as the beer itself.

Best Pub (name): The Pursuit of Hoppiness, Bridport, Dorset. Some super beers too - highly recommended.

Best Brewery: Loď Pivovar, Prague. It's a brewery, a bar and a restaurant all in one and it's on a boat. What more could you ask for, a view of trams going across a bridge? Well it's got that too.

AND THE NOT SO GOOD

Worst Beer: Fosters Lager 4.0%. I was dry and it was all that was available. Sorry.

Worst Ale: Fly Half 4.6% from The Kelburn Brewing Co at The Southsider, Edinburgh. I'd have rather shared a can of McEwans Export with the tramps outside.

Worst Bottled Beer: Mr Trotter's Chestnut Ale 4.0% from Lancaster Brewery. Pretty tasteless.

Worst Beer Poured: Exmoor Mild 3.5% at the Crooked Billet, Leigh on Sea, Essex. More vinegar than beer. I'm sure it's normally better.

Most Disappointing Beer: Conkered 4.2% from St. Peter’s Brewery at The Last Post (Wetherspoon), Southend. Was really looking forward to a nice chestnut ale from a well respected brewery. Disappointingly disappointing.

Worst Pub (service): Yr Hen Orsaf (Spoons), Aberystwyth. Dirty tables and long queues.

Worst Pub (food): The Last Post (Spoons), Southend. Mrs Stig had a particularly poor jacket potato - just ten measly prawns, so when we were asked the obligatory question, "Is everything ok with your meal"? I took the unusual step of complaining. The girl I complained to let out a long 'ooooooooo' sound and visibly flapped her arms at her side like a young owlet trying to fly for the very first time. Then she looked at me pitifully and said, "I don't know what to do". This was followed by another 'ooooooooo' and more fledgling flapping before addressing me again, "What would you like me to do"? "Get some more prawns", I said trying not to laugh out loud at the pathetic display in front of me. I may have added "of course" just to emphasise the obviousness of my response. "I'll go and speak to the kitchen", she said. Five minutes later she returned and whispered an inaudible response. After several minutes of playing 'eh, what, pardon, I'm a bit mutton', I managed to get her to explain the situation at an audible level. Apparently it's all to do with something called portion control why they couldn't dish up an adequate meal. Well, it's Spoons and its cheap, so maybe I shouldn't expect too much. The big question is though, if they aren't going to do anything why do they bother asking if everything is ok?

Most Disappointing Pub: The Market House, Bridport, Dorset. Poor quality, over-priced beer.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2018
    Four Trillium IPAs on tap tonight. Makes up for the Bruins playing like crap tonight.

I plan on sleeping well, although I’m not sure what waking up will be like, as the are all around 9%

Edit - and Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout which clocks in at 11.6%. Yum
  • Great stuff.
    Drank in the best pub (beer), agree with the comment that under normal circumstances it wouldn’t win, but reasonable pint in a nice location. Would nominate the Grove (Huddersfield) & Pint Shop (Birmingham).

So many great beers from UK, USA, Europe hard to pick. But it’s been a fantastic year of beer. Favourite recently was Wylam Northern Powerhouse Brew Series 008- DIPA- delicious.
  • Any away fans who want to do themselves a big favour today should head for The Shrewsbury Hotel and treat themselves to a pint of Peerless Oatmeal Stout.
  • Mc Ewan’s Headspace.... a whiskey cask beer in the mood of the Innis and Gunn rum barrel beer but without quite the hit in the richtoscale .... still 5.2%

Lovely Gear !!
  • Found this little rascal today whilst searching for my favourite bottled beer Peroni Gran Riserva Doppio Malto in Waitrose. The strong Peroni has become more and more difficult to find over the past few years. Tesco and Sainsburys used to stock it but both discontinued and it was only Waitrose and Morrisons where I managed to find it. Neither of my local branches of these two retail giants had any today and there was no visible shelf ticket showing it being stocked anymore.
    Anyway this San Miguel SELECTA was in Waitrose and it is a reasonable, but not perfect, substitute. I have never seen it before. I cannot be sure but it looks like it is imported (one of my red lines in regards to foreign beers) and is a healthy 6.2% ABV when it is so difficult to get a beer over 5% in these Nanny State days.
    Further research revealed that Waitrose do sell the Peroni Riserva on-line but only in 500ml. I like to drink cold beer out of a bottle, ideally a 330ml. 500 is too big to hold comfortably and lasts too long for the ice cold temperature I require to remain.

Anyone know anything about this welcome addition to the San Miguel range?

• edited January 2019
    Got a nice pint of Southey Brewery Mosaic Pale Ale in the Dulwich Beer Dispensary. Ordered the Vanill
    a Porter which was off, but they happily replaced it for me.
  • It doesn't really fit in with the other examples above, but as I'm having a dryish January (just drinking once a week) I thought I'd try the alcohol free (0.5%) version of Adnams Ghost Ship. It's not bad actually, obviously not as nice as the proper stuff and lacking body, but a pretty decent job actually.

It's like a very thin pale ale, with some decent hop flavours
  • Is that BBC?
  • Enjoying the NFL play offs with a St. Bernardus Abt 12. Delicious
  • It doesn't really fit in with the other examples above, but as I'm having a dryish January (just drinking once a week) I thought I'd try the alcohol free (0.5%) version of Adnams Ghost Ship. It's not bad actually, obviously not as nice as the proper stuff and lacking body, but a pretty decent job actually.

It's like a very thin pale ale, with some decent hop flavours

Had that the other day as I was driving... Wasn't a fan. Not terrible but wouldn't fancy it again.

Still searching for a decent low alcohol one, Heineken 0.0 is drinkable as lagers go I guess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Been on The Electric Bear's Werrrd IPA today followed by one of these beauties...

• Been on The Electric Bear's Werrrd IPA today followed by one of these beauties...

Siren do some great beer. That said I had their Uncle Zester over the weekend. Was honestly one of the worst beers I've ever had. Well technically it was a braggot, but it was horrendous.
  • edited January 2019
    Asahi have brought Fullers...well the drinks part that is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46999208
  • Asahi have brought Fullers...well the drinks part that is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46999208

Quite surprised by that

Asahi own Meantime as well.
  • Very disappointing news. That’ll be the end for a decent pint of Pride or ESB. They’re going to become a pub management company now like Youngs did, and look what happened to their lovely beer.
  • Riviera said:

Very disappointing news. That’ll be the end for a decent pint of Pride or ESB. They’re going to become a pub management company now like Youngs did, and look what happened to their lovely beer.

That might be a premature judgement. So far Asahi have not tampered with the quality of Pilsner Urquell at all. Let's hope it continues in both cases.

I would also like to say that Pride at least does not taste very good out of the bottle nowadays to me. Tastes a bit soapy I would say. Started to notice that several years ago. Anyone agree/disagree?
  • Riviera said:

Very disappointing news. That’ll be the end for a decent pint of Pride or ESB. They’re going to become a pub management company now like Youngs did, and look what happened to their lovely beer.

That might be a premature judgement. So far Asahi have not tampered with the quality of Pilsner Urquell at all. Let's hope it continues in both cases.

I would also like to say that Pride at least does not taste very good out of the bottle nowadays to me. Tastes a bit soapy I would say. Started to notice that several years ago. Anyone agree/disagree?
    Agree with you on the bottled stuff - I find it a bit flavourless and insufficiently bitter. Plenty of better alternatives.
  • IdleHans said:

Riviera said:

Agree with you on the bottled stuff - I find it a bit flavourless and insufficiently bitter. Plenty of better alternatives.
    Got a couple of bottles of pride in the beer cupboard...bear in mind what your saying and shall palm it of at some do later in the year.