Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    Honestly, putting aside the general suspicion of global brewing businesses, which certainly is justified to some extent, what exactly do people think Asahi will do to Fullers that would affect the quality? The answer surely has to depend on what the business reason for buying it is. If you take the BBC report at face value, there are some clues, and they ring true to me, because the same trends work across the continent. Fullers is mid size, but only has one brewery. So on the one hand, the brewery probably can't be used to brew any other brand, but neither can Asahi move the brewing from Chiswick, since they have no other UK brewery to move it to.

So I'd suggest that Asahi want Fullers beer for what it is. They will be able to position it in the craft sector in foreign markets.

I've seen SAB slagged off here too, but I worked with their marketing people her for years and they always claimed to me that of all the big brewers, SAB was most committed to quality. If you ask any Czech drinker who doesn't have a chip on his shoulder about "global business" he will agree that the quality of draught Pilsner Urquell actually improved under SAB. Firstly they stopped brewing it anywhere other than Plzen, even for international markets, such as Poland, and secondly, admittedly with a bit of luck, they introduced "tank" draught, which is heavenly. So far Asahi seems to have no intention of changing that. Why in biz terms would you? The quality and taste gap between PU and the others locally has widened. That's why despite the proliferation of small breweries, Prague is full of big pubs which serve only tank PU. And in fact the craft beers have helped PU push through price rises, which has always been difficult because the price of beer has been as political as the price of bread here. Good businesses don't mess with good, successful products, they really don't.

I'd have been far more worried if the buyer had been Greene King.
  • Options
    Medium sized family brewers are in a tricky position, with the global giants having more scale, but below them they are also being attacked by the new craft breweries. Every month I seem to discover a new brewery in London that has opened up, with a range of exciting new ales. I was drinking Hammerton N1 last Sunday for example.
  • Options
    Fullers were an independent family brewery. Fuller, Smith and Turner their full name. There has always been a Fuller, Smith or Turner on the board. Indeed they only ever brewed at Chiswick although you could come across their beers all over the country and beyond.
    I have been concerned about them for a few years as they have been buying up breweries and I believe this has led to them overstretching their brewing capabilities. London Pride was one of the most reliable beers you could find in London but I must say I have been disappointed in it recently. Two City pubs, namely the Counting House and The Swan always served superb Pride but my recent visits have resulted in very uninspiring pints.
    I understand what you are saying @PragueAddick about Asahi not changing anything but the fundamental change has happened. They were an independent family run business and they are no longer.
  • Options

Boo. In years past, my preferred pint of Fuller's was, when found, Chiswick Bitter. The Royal Standard in Croydon always served a fine pint of it. More recently I have enjoyed the bottled-conditioned Bengal Lancer.
    I receive this sell-out news with another addition to my Black List. No doubt the appallingly expensive Sail Loft on the Greenwich / Deptford border will continue to do well. I went in there, once, to use the loo.

Edit: The sale to Asahi includes the Dark Star beers. I wonder if Fuller's was aware, when it acquired Dark Star, of a potential sale to the Japanese?

Might be wrong anna but didn't Fullers let Dark Star continue production without any influence from themselves....sure I read something in What's Brewing a few months ago....if so hope Asahi continues in the same way.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Very disappointing news. That’ll be the end for a decent pint of Pride or ESB. They’re going to become a pub management company now like Youngs did, and look what happened to their lovely beer.

Totally agree with the demise of Youngs; when the 'Ordinary' was on form at The Tolly, it was a smashing pint.
    I seem to remember you recommending 'Old Dairy' which I tried and fell in love with. Difficult to find, sadly.
  • Options

...probably can't be used to brew any other brand...

As far as I know, Gales HSB is the only brand not bearing the Fullers name that they brew there and they bought that outright many years ago.

I like your optimism Prague but I do have concerns. They always seemed so proud of their status as an independent family business. But then I do have a chip about about global business and brewing.

Can't beat a nice pint of ESB.
  • Options
    Had the pleasure, many years ago, of working with Fullers which included many meetings with various Mr Fullers and Mr Turners (can't recall many Mr Smiths). Very old school - Wood panelled offices and long and enjoyable lunches..
  • Options
    Stig said:

...probably can't be used to brew any other brand...

As far as I know, Gales HSB is the only brand not bearing the Fullers name that they brew there and they bought that outright many years ago.

I like your optimism Prague but I do have concerns. They always seemed so proud of their status as an independent family business. But then I do have a chip about about global business and brewing.

Can't beat a nice pint of ESB.
    Well one good sign might be this. At Plzen none of the management has changed, including in the brewery. No Japanese coming in. And it's a much bigger operation than Fullers.
  • Options
    But do At Plzen have a brewery that is a prime piece of real estate near the river in London? Give it time before the suits from accounts have a look at the Griffin Brewery and see its potential for redevelopment into residential properties and say that they can build a state of the art modern brewery 30 miles away in Berkshire for peanuts.
  • Options

Boo. In years past, my preferred pint of Fuller's was, when found, Chiswick Bitter. The Royal Standard in Croydon always served a fine pint of it. More recently I have enjoyed the bottled-conditioned Bengal Lancer.
    I receive this sell-out news with another addition to my Black List. No doubt the appallingly expensive Sail Loft on the Greenwich / Deptford border will continue to do well. I went in there, once, to use the loo.

Edit: The sale to Asahi includes the Dark Star beers. I wonder if Fuller's was aware, when it acquired Dark Star, of a potential sale to the Japanese?

Am more worried about what they might do to Hophead than Pride personally.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

But do At Plzen have a brewery that is a prime piece of real estate near the river in London? Give it time before the suits from accounts have a look at the Griffin Brewery and see its potential for redevelopment into residential properties and say that they can build a state of the art modern brewery 30 miles away in Berkshire for peanuts.

I can't argue that that isn't a possibility, and don't know enough about Asahi to argue that it would be against their way of doing things. If it had been SAB, I would have been more confident. I know you are not a fan of Meantime, but SAB let them get on with what they do.

• Options
    I've only read back a couple of pages, I couldn't see anything about Brewdog but to add my 2 cents they are absolutely bang on top of their game. The stuff is expensive but worth paying for, so much so I have bought shares in them

Elvis Juice is my favourite but they have churned out some excellent beer over the last 12 months
  • Options
    Riviera said:

It's on borrowed time now and it will be a shame when it happens. I love walking around down there in the mornings. Smell of the malts is lovely.
  • Options
    Carter said:

I've only read back a couple of pages, I couldn't see anything about Brewdog but to add my 2 cents they are absolutely bang on top of their game. The stuff is expensive but worth paying for, so much so I have bought shares in them

Elvis Juice is my favourite but they have churned out some excellent beer over the last 12 months

I think Breeding are normally slightly overrated, if decent, but Elvis Juice is really, really nice.
  • Options
    Had one brewdog beer which was a strong porter/Imperial stout which had been left in Isla whisky casks to take on the favour of peaty malt.

It had the texture and flavour of creosote. Absolutely revolting.

Quite like a few of theirs having said that!
  • Options
    I did have a shot of Sink the Bismarck which is the most disgusting 'beer' I've ever had!

Think taste wasn't really their aim though, just make it strong!

https://brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/sink-the-bismarck
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Had one brewdog beer which was a strong porter/Imperial stout which had been left in Isla whisky casks to take on the favour of peaty malt.

I wouldn't like that anyway, the strong porter/stout description puts me off immediately as those tend to be far too inconsistent anyway.

The punk IPA which is probably the most mainstream one is very decent, the alcohol free beer, Nanny state I thought was disgusting but I haven't found a non alcoholic beer I find drinkable yet.

• Options
    Carter said:

McBobbin said:

I wouldn't like that anyway, the strong porter/stout description puts me off immediately as those tend to be far too inconsistent anyway.

The punk IPA which is probably the most mainstream one is very decent, the alcohol free beer, Nanny state I thought was disgusting but I haven't found a non alcoholic beer I find drinkable yet.

Got punk IPA on tap couple of places here, can't complain, and can and have drunk it all evening. There's Brewdog pubs in Edinburgh, wouldn't mind a visit when I'm next up there.

Love stouts and porters, but it really isn't something to be dicked about with. Save that for the lighter beers (citrus IPAs come to mind, had a few in my advents calendar, some nice ones)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Black Sheep Milk Stout. Very pleasant.
  • Options
    ^got oscar wilde as a regular beer in my local. Can't go wrong with a pint of that
  • Options
    Are you sure you're not working for Mighty Oak really, Anna?
  • Options
    Not had a drink all weekend and have just guzzled a 4-pack of San Miguel down in 90 minutes. A shame I have no more as it is a decent drop.
  • Options
    Beer capsuals? My guess is the beer will be shite. Making beer is like making cake not coffee.
  • Options
    Wonder why they have not announced a price.
  • Options
    Two things come to my mind. Firstly It would solve the age old home-brewing problem of getting the temperature right (though in reality the more traditional heated mat can do that already). Secondly, capsule. Capsule!?!?! These are capsules:

That's not for me thanks. That's for some twenty something narcotics user. I've got to the point where I'm looking to take my brewing onto natural ingredients not go the other way thanks. I don't see any benefits other than for LG to be able to sell a load of machines that get used once and stuck in the back of a cupboard.