Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    Chelmsford Oktoberfest. Raucous.
  • Options
    Alchemy Brewing I Imperial Russian Stout. Absolutely gorgeous and available in Waitrose.
  • Options

You were close to getting a flag above, the place in Borough market does some fantastic beers. If you don’t want to pay their prices there are plenty of other places to purchase beer.

If the stout is bring out the imp, then yes it looks good and worth picking up a bottle.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Chelmsford Oktoberfest. Raucous.

Nobody does Oktoberfest like Essex

Invented in Germany, perfected in Essex.

• Options

Rat, brass castle, arbor, tiny rebel, northern monk, beaver town, atom lately
    Pick of the bunch Tiny Rebel - rubarb and custard
    Northern monk - patrons project 10.04 lemon lime and coffee Berliner weisse
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Sharps Atlantic pale ale, ice cold lovely

Our Cornish ales are getting everywhere.

Brewed at Rock, just across the Camel estuary from Padstow.
    On draught in my local pubs.

• Options

Cannonball - magic rock
    My favourite hero - manual brewing
  • Options
    "Have you ever been across the sea to Ireland .....?"

Just back from visiting my Irish friend at his home in County Galway.
    His son loves his craft beers and introduced me to Galway Bay Brewery:

http://www.galwaybaybrewery.com/beers/

Must have tried them all over the weekend!
    Particular favourites were Full Sail 5.8% dry hopped, American style; and Althea, 4.8%. Can still taste it now.

Also liked the Stormy Port porter 4.8%, rich dark flavour.

Got taken to the Salthouse pub in Galway City, one of the brewery's own pubs ..... very good range of beers there.
    http://www.galwaybaybrewery.com/salthouse/

They've also got several pubs in Dublin, Limerick and Belfast.
    Their beers are often found at UK beer festivals.

You can also buy some of their range online from Beerwulf and others:
    www.beerwulf.com/Craft_Beer/Galway_bay‎
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Will look out for it @Oggy Red , dry hopping, a sign of potentially good stuff
  • Options

Gun, Garage (Spain), Finback (USA), Wylam, Northern Monk recently

Joined untappd, think a few on here might be also from memory?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Particular favourites were Full Sail 5.8% dry hopped, American style; and Althea, 4.8%. Can still taste it now.

I had a pint like that once, repeated on me for days. Don't think the lines were cleaned properly.
  • Options
    The White Swan ran out of bitter at 19:05, so have had to resort to ‘Pig Squeal’ Cider at 7% from Herefordshire.

The pub do need to sort this out but it is a very nice drink. As my son says, it would put you on your arse soon enough if you had a few of them.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

The White Swan ran out of bitter at 19:05, so have had to resort to ‘Pig Squeal’ Cider at 7% from Herefordshire.

The pub do need to sort this out but it is a very nice drink. As my son says, it would put you on your arse soon enough if you had a few of them.

That is an absolute joke. To not have another cask ready any night at 7pm is bad enough but on a matchday is just criminal.
  • Options
    I was next in line when the last bitter was served. Doesn't matter as I was going to get Pig Squeal anyway
  • Options
    Not yet mate, had a few ahead of it in the queue!

Included an Original Flag Porter which was lovely, and an interesting story:

https://brewlab.co.uk/news/the-original-flag-porter-story
  • Options
    Tried the Plum Porter tonight. Nice enough, but a bit too sweet for me!
  • Options
    Old Bastard - bizarre to think I drank it in Alabama and then a week ago in Shanghai

Nice stuff if not a little strong
  • Options
    Question for all, but, especially @Riviera

What do you think is the correct temperature to serve a bottle of the classic English strong ales that I can get my hands on out here (i.e. Bishops Finger, Fullers 1845). And for an English IPA?

I know we all agreed a while ago that the answer is "whatever works for you". But I reckon the brewers have an ideal temperature in mind - they just don't seem to want to share it with their customers for some reason.

I may be wrong but I think @Riviera told me he serves all his Long Pond beers at 12C...seems like a good temp for the beers I mentioned above
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I reckon about 10°C. An awkward temp that's lower than room temperature but warmer than fridge temperature.
  • Options
    12c is the uniformly accepted temperature to keep live real ale in the best condition. I would not want a pint of bitter served any warmer or colder personally. People may scoff at 12 but believe me it is cold, but that is for REAL ALE, live cask conditioned beer. Bottled beer is quite different and is really a matter of taste. I do drink bottled lagers but am quite picky, I'll only drink imported ones and nothing made in the UK under licence like Fosters, Kronenburg, Stella, San Miguel etc. I personally like Heineken, Peroni Reserve and Estrella and I like them very, very cold about 2c I'd say.
    The only bottled ale I really drink is Adnams Broadside and I like that cold too, probably normal fridge temperature around 5c.
  • Options
    Ale at room temp, as it has flavour. Lager very chilled, as it has less flavour, but quenches the thirst.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Just had a bottle of St Peters whisky beer. It's a brewery I like anyway, but this one was absolutely lovely, with a real hint of smoky whisky behind the bitterness.
  • Options
    My wife and I are going to Bruges early in December and I would like some recommendations on what the best beers are. They do so many and one restaurant is showing 92 different beers! I'm a lager drinker so I think that will be their "Blond" beer? I was just expecting to drink Stella which shows my ignorance.
  • Options

My wife and I are going to Bruges early in December and I would like some recommendations on what the best beers are. They do so many and one restaurant is showing 92 different beers! I'm a lager drinker so I think that will be their "Blond" beer? I was just expecting to drink Stella which shows my ignorance.

if you do drink stella you can get the proper 5.2% rather than the 4.8% brewed in the uk stuff we are palmed off with over here. (although even if you are a stella drinker it would be a wasted trip to just drink that)
  • Options

What a fantastic opportunity to try something a little different. Stella is ok if you're running a little dry and need something to wet your whistle, but you're going to one of the greatest beer making countries on earth. Why not see what the locals are drinking or try asking the barman for advice? I hope you have a great trip!
  • Options
    Brugse Zot, Lindemans Kriek for your wife, St Bernardus - both dark and tripel ...
  • Options
    Thanks @Stig

It's not looking good though. I tried a bottle of Leffe Blond last night.

Hated it.