Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options

Put that on my go to list when in Essex

Do! The Hop Beer Shop across the road is actually better. Not too many reasons to go to Chelmsford, cricket I suppose, but you can get lashed in style.
  • Options
    Meant to be down for Octoberfest Southend, might not make it due to other commitments but if I do, I’ll see if I can make Chelmsford
  • Options

A satisfying and interesting drink.
    Purchased at Morrisons. £1.65, or four bottles for £6.00

That’s sounds nice! Good brewery.
  • Options
    Had the choice tonight between a Rodenbach Cuvee Alexandria tonight or a red wine from a top expensive boutique Chilean James Bond winery. Had to drink the Chilean as the Cuvee Alexander is just too good to waste on a Thursday. Not sure how long I can hold off though as the Cuvee Alexander and Rodenbach's stuff is just utterly sublime.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

This was strange. Danish Imperial stout, 12.2% with chilli in it. Nicer than it sounds, but one was enough!

To Ol, good beer, but expensive.
  • Options

Meant to be down for Octoberfest Southend, might not make it due to other commitments but if I do, I’ll see if I can make Chelmsford

I'm going on the Friday, got seated tickets. Good old fashioned Essex knees up. Not the classiest event, but lots of fun! I'll be on the tables by the end, I sadly suspect
  • Options

Chelmsford's a great place to go drinking. The Ale House, The Woolpack, The Orange Tree, The Golden Fleece even Spoon's Ivory Peg. Much better than Southend which has loads of drinking outlets that are all pretty shabby and don't bother with good beer because they know that no-one is coming back.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

McBobbin said:

This was strange. Danish Imperial stout, 12.2% with chilli in it. Nicer than it sounds, but one was enough!

To Ol, good beer, but expensive.
    I second that. I’ve had a few from To Øl and they have all been excellent.
  • Options
    10.5 and 12.2 etc! That is not beer ffs! Start your own wine thread.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Vincenzo said:
    I hope the beer is good. They ain't fooling with the "the decor is just a notch or two above shed" comment. And what on earth is that Garage Beer? It looks like a pint of semi-congealed fat from a large pack of ASDA's cheapest sausages.
    Personally I think that Garage Beer looks lush. Horses for courses I guess. I assume it's a NEIPA, probably the most popular style of beer over the last year or so amongst craft breweries. When they are done right they are beautiful - Verdant, Wylam and Cloudwater are excellent UK breweries who nail this style time and again and Garage are very good at it themselves. However, as with anything, there are plenty of bandwagon jumpers who try and fail to do the style justice. Would definitely recommend giving one a go if you see one though.

Also, having read this back I realise it sounds a little preachy and you are probably already aware of everything I've put and were merely commenting on the colour (definitely a photoshop job). If so, apologies!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

Chelmsford's a great place to go drinking. The Ale House, The Woolpack, The Orange Tree, The Golden Fleece even Spoon's Ivory Peg. Much better than Southend which has loads of drinking outlets that are all pretty shabby and don't bother with good beer because they know that no-one is coming back.
    Absolutely. Throw the Queen's Head, Railway tavern and Plough into that mix as well
  • Options

If you like St Peter's beer, then visit The Jerusalem Tavern in Clerkenwell.
    It's a beaut of a pub, 300 years old, open fire and it's a St Peter's pub, so loads of cask and bottle offerings.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

If you like St Peter's beer, then visit The Jerusalem Tavern in Clerkenwell.
    It's a beaut of a pub, 300 years old, open fire and it's a St Peter's pub, so loads of cask and bottle offerings.
    Yes, great pub.
  • Options
    Agreed. Lovely pub.

If you like Plum Porter though, you can't beat Titanic Brewery's. Sensational and quite rightly an award-winner.
  • Options
    I'm trying Beer52, anyone else used them in the past? Good choices? Be interesting to get a few to try I wouldn't have thought about getting myself but we shall see! Cheap trial so can always cancel.

On the off chance anyone else fancies it, use the code below and we'll both get a discount:

https://beer52.com/join/318310/1ed694be9d868f2a

I've chosen light and dark beers so hoping for a porter/stout or two. Halloween is always good for a couple in pubs too!
  • Options
    I've used Beer52 and for the most part enjoyed it.

I've stopped my subscription for a 2nd time now, as I prefer to pick my own ales rather than have what someone else chooses.

Plus the last couple of months have included beers mostly over 6%.....my personal preference is normally 4.0-5.0%
  • Options
    I've heard bad things about Beer52 in terms of choice/selection BUT I haven't used them (due to the bad things I've heard!)

I invested in Eebria, so get the discovery box regularly as part of my investment...it's usually very good... If you want to just buy online, I think eebria (I would say that), Honest Brew and Beer Merchants tend to have the best selection of 'craft'... Beer Hawk IMHO has a poor selection and their definition of 'craft' can be a bit wayward to say the least (Goose Island???)...
  • Options
    ColinTat said:

Had the choice tonight between a Rodenbach Cuvee Alexandria tonight or a red wine from a top expensive boutique Chilean James Bond winery. Had to drink the Chilean as the Cuvee Alexander is just too good to waste on a Thursday. Not sure how long I can hold off though as the Cuvee Alexander and Rodenbach's stuff is just utterly sublime.

What ever happened to Jilly Goolden?
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Picked up one today, so fingers crossed.

That and a Guinness milk stout.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

If you like Plum Porter though, you can't beat Titanic Brewery's. Sensational and quite rightly an award-winner.

Totally agree....this is worth a try too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bad news, due to refurbishment of the winter gardens there is no Eastbourne beer festival.
  • Options

I'm trying Beer52, anyone else used them in the past? Good choices? Be interesting to get a few to try I wouldn't have thought about getting myself but we shall see! Cheap trial so can always cancel.

On the off chance anyone else fancies it, use the code below and we'll both get a discount:

https://beer52.com/join/318310/1ed694be9d868f2a

I've chosen light and dark beers so hoping for a porter/stout or two. Halloween is always good for a couple in pubs too!

Got an Oktoberfest themed one, quite a lot of variety too so that's promising - a chocolate stout, a porter, a vanilla cream ale, couple of pale ales. Will have to see how they taste now.
  • Options
    Enjoying the porter with the start of autumn. Had a Beavertown Smog Rocket (sellouts, but delicious), Pressure Drop Street Porter and will have a Partizan Porter next.

Got 6 bottles of pumpkin beer on order. Keith Pump’d. Never had it before but reckon it’ll be right up my alley.
  • Options
    Had a very nice pint of Cybernaut (Brewdog) at lunchtime today....available for limited time only too!

A 4.5% session IPA.....juicy, fruity & hoppy.....cloudy too. Really nice.
  • Options

ColinTat said:

What ever happened to Jilly Goolden?
    Charltonised?
  • Options
    am not drinking for October...only a few days in and it is bloomin killing me.....
  • Options
    Aldi regularly have fresh selections of 500ml bottled ales at £1.25
    Normally change every month or so