Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

Comments

• Options

Very interesting to see which way England go with selection, there is a case for bringing in Stokes for Trott and Finn for Tremlett and really fighting fire with fire on the pace bowling front - both of them bowl at 90mph.

I agree and all the vibes from the England camp are that Bresnan (it can only be a matter of seconds before Riviera tells me yet again he isn't in the squad) is raring to go. I think the selectors look at him not just for what he might do with the bat and the ball but also because he is full of Yorkshire grit and not one to back down easily.

Talking about Yorkshiremen, Trott's issues may, unfortunately, resonate with Jonny Bairstow. His Dad, former player David, committed suicide, following bouts of depression, when Jonny was just nine. The management need to make absolutely sure that Jonny is in the right place should he be called up.
    I love Bressie but he is not the man for Adelaide or Perth - he would be good in Sydney and Melbourne where it swings and seams more.

In Adelaide and Perth you need tall 'bounce' bowlers who can push the batters back.

I just have the feeling England need to respond to Johnson with their own genuinely fast bowler, that could be Finn or Rankin - maybe Stokes.

The point is they cannot be bullied and need to return serve - especially by really roughing up the Aussie batsmen with some short stuff - giving special treatment to the tail enders.

Would love to see Broad, Finn and Stokes all play and really let them have some.
  • Options

Very interesting to see which way England go with selection, there is a case for bringing in Stokes for Trott and Finn for Tremlett and really fighting fire with fire on the pace bowling front - both of them bowl at 90mph.

I agree and all the vibes from the England camp are that Bresnan (it can only be a matter of seconds before Riviera tells me yet again he isn't in the squad) is raring to go. I think the selectors look at him not just for what he might do with the bat and the ball but also because he is full of Yorkshire grit and not one to back down easily.

Talking about Yorkshiremen, Trott's issues may, unfortunately, resonate with Jonny Bairstow. His Dad, former player David, committed suicide, following bouts of depression, when Jonny was just nine. The management need to make absolutely sure that Jonny is in the right place should he be called up.
    I love Bressie but he is not the man for Adelaide or Perth - he would be good in Sydney and Melbourne where it swings and seams more.

In Adelaide and Perth you need tall 'bounce' bowlers who can push the batters back.

I just have the feeling England need to respond to Johnson with their own genuinely fast bowler, that could be Finn or Rankin - maybe Stokes.

The point is they cannot be bullied and need to return serve - especially by really roughing up the Aussie batsmen with some short stuff - giving special treatment to the tail enders.

Would love to see Broad, Finn and Stokes all play and really let them have some.
  • Options
    I know he hasn't made a run so far, but I think that they may go with Ballance in Adelaide. Averages over 50 in both first class and list A, and could be the steady Eddie they need to replace Trott.

Whoever they go with its going to be very hard from here on in.
  • Options

I spoke to a mate of mine tonight who works in the Aussie sports media and is covering the series, he said that it was "pretty well known" since last summer in England that Trott was having personal problems away from cricket.

The management apparently offered to give him a way out pre-series with an injury 'get out' but Trott was adamant he wanted to play.

He added that Warner's comments about Trott being "weak" were "not an accident by any means" and said that the England players realised straight away what he was alluding to.

Warner will - quite obviously - deny all knowledge but the word is that it is now absolute open hatred between some members of each side and that Cook is absolutely furious with what has happened.

It will boil over in Adelaide for sure, you can bet on that.

If it was so well known within the game then why didn't Michael Vaughan know? Vaughan you'd assume is pretty close to the England team, but has been tweeting that he was completely in the dark and feels guilty about commenting on Trott's poor form.

Michael Vaughan ‏@MichaelVaughan 55m
    I do feel guilty for criticising Trott this week .. I wasn't to know what he was going through and I can only comment on what I see .

• Options

I spoke to a mate of mine tonight who works in the Aussie sports media and is covering the series, he said that it was "pretty well known" since last summer in England that Trott was having personal problems away from cricket.

The management apparently offered to give him a way out pre-series with an injury 'get out' but Trott was adamant he wanted to play.

He added that Warner's comments about Trott being "weak" were "not an accident by any means" and said that the England players realised straight away what he was alluding to.

Warner will - quite obviously - deny all knowledge but the word is that it is now absolute open hatred between some members of each side and that Cook is absolutely furious with what has happened.

It will boil over in Adelaide for sure, you can bet on that.

If it was so well known within the game then why didn't Michael Vaughan know? Vaughan you'd assume is pretty close to the England team, but has been tweeting that he was completely in the dark and feels guilty about commenting on Trott's poor form.

Michael Vaughan ‏@MichaelVaughan 55m
    I do feel guilty for criticising Trott this week .. I wasn't to know what he was going through and I can only comment on what I see .

I don't know if Vaughan knew or not - anyway, he is covering his arse here because his comments about Trott's batting were OTT anyway regardless of Trott's mental health.

Read Flower's comments at the press conference, he confirms that the situation with Trott has been going on for quite some time and that they were aware of it.

Cricket is a very small world, the management, players and press talk the whole time and secrets are very hard to keep - especially with Twitter etc.
  • Options
    Agree about Vaughan arse covering - have never warmed to him, always a little bit too pleased with himself and self satisfied.

I have no idea if Warner knew or not, but to come out and call another man "weak and scared" in a TV interview is just plain wrong.

I can totally understand them wanting to batter us, and they can say what they like on the field, but his interview was offensive and uncalled for.
  • Options
    Warner deserves both barrels. Scumbag.
  • Options
    If Trott's condition was affecting his cricket then why was he picked in Brisbane? He only averaged 29 in the home series so he was hardly untouchable.
  • Options
    Team for the next test.
    Carberry, Cook, Bell, Pietersen, Root, Ballance, Bairstow, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Rankin
  • Options
    Bad management. If Trott has a long standing issue he should not have been on the plane in the first place regardless of whether he insisted or not. End of. Compton must be tempted to be "washing his hair" when the call comes. Aussies have not handled well and should be very embarrassed, but it was handed to them on a plate. Good luck to Trott. Hope he recovers and gets the help he needs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dickplumb said:

Team for the next test.
    Carberry, Cook, Bell, Pietersen, Root, Ballance, Bairstow, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Rankin

Rankin? Seriously? He shouldn't even be in the squad, let alone the team. If you want to make a change, then maybe Finn - he's expensive, but at least he'll take wickets. Personally, I'd keep Tremlett - Anderson and Broad are fine as the two frontline pace bowlers, you want your third quick to keep it tight, and he'd do a better job of that than Finn. Rankin is raw beyond belief - if he ever makes it as a test bowler it won't be for at least another 18 months.
  • Options
    Pity about Trott - but not altogether surprising. Comes across as pretty intense. Selectors won't call up Compton for the same reason. He got dropped as much for the way he failed (7 in 45-odd balls in his last knock) as for the failures themselves - he was too inside his own bubble, such was his determination to succeed. Really need the 'big' players to stand up now - Pietersen, Bell, Prior. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the team for the next Test is:

Cook; Carberry; Bell (has to be 3 now); Pietersen; Root; Stokes; Prior; Bresnan (supposed to be fit now); Broad; Swann; Anderson.

Main concern with this is Prior's woeful lack of batting form, given Stokes at 6 would be a major punt, but I reckon they could pick Stokes for his attitude as much as anything.

If they go for the extra batter it would have to be Bairstow at 6 - and if they did that, I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped Swann to play 4 quicks and tried to fiddle 15 overs out of Root - who a couple of times this summer was more effective than Swann, who was owned by the Aussies in this test.

So it could otherwise be:

Cook; Carberry; Bell; Pietersen; Root; Bairstow; Prior; Bresnan; Broad; Anderson; Finn (pace).

Not hedging my bets at all then. What I'd say with certainty is that Monty and Ballance definitely won't be playing! Can't see Tremlett trundling up at 80mph either.
  • Options
    Good post kiely especially the bit about "Tremlett trundling up at 80mph".

I'm inclined to think that they will revert to type:

Cook; Carberry; Bell; Pietersen; Root; Bairstow; Prior; Bresnan; Swann; Broad; Anderson.

That team is a defensive side with 6 batsmen, WK batsman, all rounder at 8 and just the one true no. 11. It also "pitches" Prior against Bairstow in a way that wouldn't have been considered previously i.e. for the WK batsman spot.

• Options
    Would also consider replacing the keeper at the moment, Prior doesnt look like getting a score and hasnt for some time. If Bairstow is half decent behind the stumps then play him, and at number 7 the pressure wont be on him quite as much to make a big score, but if he chips in with 40-50 not out at the end...

Cook, Carberry, Bell, Pietersen, Trott, Stokes, Bairstow, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Finn
  • Options
    I meant Root, not Trott
  • Options
    Flower's fault for bringing on Sordell with 15 to go.....
  • Options
    Personally I would consider pushing Root up to the vacated 3 slot. He had a brief stint opening in the past and handled Johnson better than most in the last test. Leave Bell alone at 5, he has the ability to anchor our middle to lower order if we do find ourselves in a crisis. If he is moved to 3 and we lose Cook, Bell and Carberry within our opening session, we look guaranteed to collapse.

I would also bring Stokes into the side, just feel he offers more alround options compared to the other options.

So I would go with

Cook, Carberry, Root, Pietersen, Bell, Stokes, Prior, Broad, Swann, Tremlett, Anderson
  • Options

Personally I would consider pushing Root up to the vacated 3 slot. He had a brief stint opening in the past and handled Johnson better than most in the last test. Leave Bell alone at 5, he has the ability to anchor our middle to lower order if we do find ourselves in a crisis. If he is moved to 3 and we lose Cook, Bell and Carberry within our opening session, we look guaranteed to collapse.

I would also bring Stokes into the side, just feel he offers more alround options compared to the other options.

So I would go with

Cook, Carberry, Root, Pietersen, Bell, Stokes, Prior, Broad, Swann, Tremlett, Anderson

Completely agree.
  • Options

Leave Bell alone at 5, he has the ability to anchor our middle to lower order if we do find ourselves in a crisis.

Ha, have you been on holiday for the last week !!

• Options
    Jake Doran, a 16-year-old, batsman from New South Wales, has been chosen to play against England in their tour match in Alice Springs that follows the first Test in Brisbane

Getting young Jake out is hardly going to be much of a confidence booster and his selection is probably indicative of how unprepared the Aussies want us to be!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Jake Doran, a 16-year-old, batsman from New South Wales, has been chosen to play against England in their tour match in Alice Springs that follows the first Test in Brisbane

Getting young Jake out is hardly going to be much of a confidence booster and his selection is probably indicative of how unprepared the Aussies want us to be!

stick one right on his chin the little f***er ((:>)
  • Options

stick one right on his chin the little f***er ((:>)
    Break his arm!
  • Options

Leave Bell alone at 5, he has the ability to anchor our middle to lower order if we do find ourselves in a crisis.

Ha, have you been on holiday for the last week !!

granted he didn't have the greatest 1st test, but who did?

He hasn't suddenly became a bad player, he was amazing in the last Ashes series and even on our last tour down under he scored a ton at 6. Usually one of our more consistent performers of recent years. Who else could do that role if he is moved to 3 and we do lose early wickets?
  • Options
    i dont think our seam bowlers did a bad job really ...the big difference was Swann v Lyon ....Swann was very easily manipulated around the ground and out of the attack ....we failed or were unable to target Lyon in the same way .Swann or Root couldnt give our seamers a break

If we want to compete going forward we cant allow Johnson and Harris to dominate us first up ...Cracking Johnson would be the key ....A run a ball century from Kp might help ,whatever happens we really do need our boys to show a bit more "cahones" when facing up to warner/mitchell/clarke ..

cant wait for the next test

• Options
    Wish this England team had a bit of a Warner character to be honest, not in the annoying chav like sense of the word, but more of a in your face & win at all costs type of way. Much as I like Broad, it must be a bit like being heckled by Tim Nice But Dim. Need a more earthy character who knows his way round the dictionary. One who can also bowl at 90mph+ & average above 40 in First Class matches.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Wish this England team had a bit of a Warner character to be honest, not in the annoying chav like sense of the word, but more of a in your face & win at all costs type of way. Much as I like Broad, it must be a bit like being heckled by Tim Nice But Dim. Need a more earthy character who knows his way round the dictionary. One who can also bowl at 90mph+ & average above 40 in First Class matches.

You're not asking for much! I can't recall us ever having someone who had those qualifications not even Sir Ian or Freddy. And Stokes certainly isn't there - yet.

• Options
    Not sure even Gary Sobers managed that!
  • Options
    Root to 3, Prior to 6 and Bresnan at 7. Got to try and utilise our strength which is our bowlers.

Finn might have a case to replace Tremlett but I think the guy performed well in his role at the Gabba.
  • Options
    Gutted for Trott. Takes proper bollocks to make decisions like that. Health and family first, always.

Wish him nothing but the best.

Time for England to step up and show some real fight in response to all the comments/sledging and make us proud.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Matches like this explain why the likes of Bresnan so often need to play to bolster the batting.

Our bowlers did a decent job to bowl Australia out for less than 300 yet our batting capitulated disgracefully. Twice.

Fair point Len but a 40-50 from Bresnan would not have made any difference here.

What we needed - and did not get - was any of our top-order getting a big hundred which would have allowed us to build the innings around them.
    On its own no but it's a boost to any batsman to know that the bloke down the other end is looking to hang about for as long as it takes without competing to be the senior partner.

Think of Lords where we were wobbling and Bresnan held an end up which gave Root the platform to bat us to victory.

In the England first innings most of them batted as if it was a T20 match and collapsed accordingly. There was nobody to hold an end up and enable the innings to be rebuilt. You need that in Test cricket sometimes.