Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

Comments

• Options

I'm contemplating flicking the kettle on again, but before I do.....
    ...can I still call Leroy a prick ?

Yep. Prick here, on the train back home after a skinful, ready to Jonah any England player you like.
  • Options
    Well two down pal and the rain is starting. Don't give up yet !
  • Options
    Right, 1.15 and Aussies 99-2

What is your eod standing ?
  • Options
    233-3. Warner out for 124, caught behind off Broad.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/qld/brisbane/brisbane/detailed-forecast watching this and praying.
  • Options
    242-4. Smith caught behind off Tremlett for 0.
  • Options
    Tea 299-5 for a lead of 458. As long as we can bat for two days we should be OK!

Clarke out for 113 - bowled by Swann which is somewhat a relief for Swanny who now has much better match figures of:

Swann 48-6-193-1

To be fair to him the wicket isn't exactly a "bunsen burner". The other issue, of course, is that after the openers the Aussies don't have a left hander 'til Johnson at 8.
  • Options
    Swanny strikes again and bowls Bailey. 305-6 for a lead of 464.
  • Options
    Could see a quick 50 from the Haddin/Johnson partnership and then declaration to get us in tonight.
  • Options
    341-6 for a lead of 500. Only 8 times in the history of first class cricket has a total of 500 or more been successfully chased down!
  • Options
    Haddin out for 53 off 55 balls caught by Anderson off Tremlett.

395-7 for a lead of 554. No declaration as yet. Would hate to think that this delay could come back and bite them in the bum in the advent of adverse weather!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    401-7 declared. Just 561 to win!
  • Options
    Unbelievable. Carberry plays on. Having played back the ball spins back between his legs and rolls onto the stumps.

1-1
  • Options
    Trott you are an absolute idiot. Johnson bowls exactly the same ball he did to get him out in the first innings and Trott tries to play it in exactly the same way. And millimetres from the same result!
  • Options
    What is Trott doing? He tries to pull Johnson and fortunately for him the ball ends up in no mans land. The name of the game is survival especially with only 10 overs of the day to go.
  • Options
    Well that wasn't coming was it. Trott holes out to deep square leg off Johnson. Does he have a brain or is it just pure arrogance on his part?
  • Options
    And now KP almost runs Cook out going for a suicidal single. This isn't T20 FFS.
  • Options
    at least Trott goes down swinging .. we could be all out for less than 200 .. so it might pay just to have a go
  • Options

at least Trott goes down swinging .. we could be all out for less than 200 .. so it might pay just to have a go

Sorry Lincs you don't have a go at the brand new ball. You do a "Cook" and once you're in then maybe you can have a go. As I posted yesterday it's all too easy to get him out at the moment:

Trott - he has supreme eye to ball. But he is always on the move be it forward or straight across his stumps so much so now that he becomes vulnerable to the moving ball especially as he ends up playing it at times so far from his body that he is only showing the edge of the bat. So, feed his addiction, have two short mid-wickets, tempt him with the short ball and you simply know that his arrogance won't allow him to duck the issue.

• Options
    24-2 at close.
  • Options
    All over , the Aussies are in our head and will only need a days play to skittle the rest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's hope it pisses down tomorrow
  • Options
    More rain than that required Vg 1.5 days of rain required to give us a chance !
  • Options
    Trott should be dropped after that. He won't because we don't have the quality to come in but he needs a kick up the arse. If you give it the verbals to the aussie batsmen and then come out and bat like a twat then you really have lost the plot.
  • Options
    An absolute shambles. Needing to dig in for a good 2 days and pray for rain.......................then we lose 2 wickets in the first 8 overs!
  • Options
    Lincs, how do you want your money. Stayed up most of the night to watch that. Only two players to come out with any credit so far are Broad and Carberry. What has happened to Trott? He is like a rabbit in the headlights. Australia are all over us like a rash, we look scared. What we can do about it I have no idea.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Lincs, how do you want your money. Stayed up most of the night to watch that. Only two players to come out with any credit so far are Broad and Carberry. What has happened to Trott? He is like a rabbit in the headlights. Australia are all over us like a rash, we look scared. What we can do about it I have no idea.

bit early yet ((:>) dp ... I just felt all along that England's bark has been worse than its bite for a while and that Australia is an improving team and would fight tooth and nail whereas our 'boys' have got soft, arrogant and complacent and rather like the football team, after the first 14 or 15, the cupboard is pretty bare .. and bad selection from the remainders, no Onions or Compton for example .. we will see .. ask me the question after the fourth test .. and have a Merry Christmas ...
  • Options
    Charlton fans - throwing in the towel early doors since 1905
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Trott last summer didn't look right. Whereas previously he was famously stodgy, but hard to get out, last summer he was scoring more quickly but didn't look secure, and never looked like playing the limpet role he previously did
  • Options

dickplumb said:

Trott last summer didn't look right. Whereas previously he was famously stodgy, but hard to get out, last summer he was scoring more quickly but didn't look secure, and never looked like playing the limpet role he previously did
    I think you've hit the nail on the head so far as the change in batting style is concerned.

Some of that might be down to the fact that he has previously come under some criticism for not scoring fast enough in certain situations and the accusation that he has played for himself and to protect his average.

The arrogance I've mentioned previously might also be a legacy of the way he was brought up to play sport. Let's not forget that he represented the Saffers right up to U19 level and their mentality is to give as good as you get. Like KP, it is probably that arrogance that has got him so far in the game but that very strength overdone seems to have become a weakness in this instance.

KP had similar issues (left arm spinners) and like him Trott needs to recognise that to attack is not necessarily the best form of defence and that, sometimes, it's better to adopt a retreat mentality 'til you are on top. And once you've done that you've earned the right to rub the opposition's nose in it.

• Options
    Oh god, kp inside edge 2nd ball...not out just doesn't look good!