Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

Comments

• Options

People love to write off our cricket team more than our football team

Good call, but today was very, very disappointing so I can understand why people are having a pop.
  • Options

People love to write off our cricket team more than our football team

Good call, but today was very, very disappointing so I can understand why people are having a pop.
    It was an awful day mate, but this England team are a resiliant bunch, so I'm certainly not writing them off yet.
  • Options
    Aussies resorting to bodyline tactics that they whinged about when Jardine was our captain, bring back Harold Larwood!
  • Options
    Bad day but not too suprising - apart from Bell the top order were all very in and out (pardon the pun) in the summer. I await Sir Geofferys summing up of the performance.....
  • Options
    In some ways, it's good for the series, England having to fight, the summer was surprisingly unsatisfactory. Seeing that Broad is one of the few England players who've really played to their potential, maybe we need all the team to be barracked by the Aussie press and public...

Typical slow start by England, we did the same in 2010 but batted superbly in the second innings to rescue an easy draw, but I can't see Cook and Trott being in that sort of form this time.
  • Options
    I agree it's good for the series if we lose this but it doesn't make me feel any better .
    I would rather see us lose by going for it rather than the negativity we saw today. We have to take it to the bowlers .
    The only plusses to come from this game is Stuart Broad and Michael Carberry
    Credit should go to Australia and Michael Clarke.
    Bring on the rain.
  • Options
    Typical English reaction. We've had a shocking day, a day which both team is going to have at some point in the series, hell even in 2010/11 we did it. It's up to us to now respond and make it our only shocking day of the series.
  • Options

...I await Sir Geofferys summing up of the performance.....

Delightfully summed up...

"They have an 82 page booklet on what to eat, but when a guy comes in & bowls at 90mph, they can't handle it"

• Options
    The only positive i can take from this is that we're almost always useless in a first test overseas so i'm not entirely surprised we're going to go 1-0 down.

England's last 10 opening matches of away test series:

W1 (Bangladesh)
    D3
    L6
  • Options
    Wow. Just watched the highlights. That was bad, very very bad. Glad I didn't stay up all night now!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We never do any good at the Gabba, keep the faith!
  • Options
    Defo glad I fell asleep after the first hour
  • Options
    Apart from the creation of non-docile wickets the biggest development in cricket is the use of technology to analyse the strengths and weaknesses of batsmen and bowlers. Even Kent are currently advertising for someone to do the job!

Sure, years ago the opposition would "work" players out. But not to the precise extent they are now bowling and setting their fields accordingly. Some examples from this Test:

Watson - bowl straight, have as many players in the ring as possible and drop mid on and/or mid off deep. Scoring shots are strangled as he doesn't know how to work the ball round and doesn't want to in any case because he knows he then becomes vulnerable to playing across his pads and is a major candidate for LBW. Despite a decent record in the top 3, I'm really not sure that he wouldn't be better in the all rounder role at 6 but then he would probably throw his toys out of the pram if he was told that was his permanent role. Mind you, perhaps he owes the Aussies something as he has caused them issues with the three teams they have always had to pick with him in mind - the one where he is an all rounder, the one where he isn't fit to bowl and the one where he is simply injured and unavailable.

Cook - has three main scoring shots: clip off the legs and if you give him width he will cut and pull you. So, again, bowl wicket to wicket and a full length at that because he doesn't get as far forward in his crease as he should. Consequently he is vulnerable to late swing.

Clarke - he is probably one of the best players of spin in the world. But he simply can't play the well targeted short ball. He neither sways nor pulls and most of the time isn't even looking at the ball. When it happened in the summer he came straight off the pitch and into the Lords indoor school to practice playing them. But he isn't learning because he either can't sway or is so conscious of his back condition that he doesn't want to stress it with any sudden movement.

Trott - he has supreme eye to ball. But he is always on the move be it forward or straight across his stumps so much so now that he becomes vulnerable to the moving ball especially as he ends up playing it at times so far from his body that he is only showing the edge of the bat. So, feed his addiction, have two short mid-wickets, tempt him with the short ball and you simply know that his arrogance won't allow him to duck the issue.

KP - a brilliant batsman with even more confidence in his own ability that Trott. But that strength can be his weakness. Unlike someone like Cook, he has so many shots in his locker that he could probably play half a dozen to any one ball. So, send him down a load of liquorice allsorts and hope he chooses the wrong shot. As he did in this innings.

Prior - has forgotten how to hit the ball as evidenced by his timid effort to a nothing ball from Lyon. He didn't have to play it but, if he was going to, he would have been far better served to try smashing it out of the ground. Short leg wouldn't be there for too long if he did. So, chuck the ball to Lyon and wait for him to get himself out.

Most of the above are the well established batsmen from the two sides. It serves to demonstrate why neither side have been dominating with the bat in the last two series. And let's not forget, if it hadn't been for Bell's contribution in the last series, it might be the Aussies currently defending the Ashes. If his confidence goes and the rest of our line up don't have something in mind to counteract the bowling plans of Harris, Siddle, Johnson et al we could be in trouble.

There again, as I've said before, both line ups are vulnerable. And if it weren't for any possible adverse weather, laying the draw in each and every test would probably prove to be a licence to print money.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

...I await Sir Geofferys summing up of the performance.....

Delightfully summed up...

"They have an 82 page booklet on what to eat, but when a guy comes in & bowls at 90mph, they can't handle it"

He's mellowed - either that or you can't really fend off a 90mph ball with a stick of rhubarb.
  • Options
    main difference was that when Swann came on to bowl in the 1st Innings the Aussies targeted him and wouldn't let him settle - whereas when Lyon came on for them we tippy-toed it back to him and 2 batsmen got out defending innocuous balls. I don't believe Trott has ever scored a 6 in Test cricket......absolutely scandalous !!

Only batsmen with any balls out there was Broad. He stood up to some battering and then played some shots. 2nd highest top scorer.
  • Options
    what could be our saviour is the weather. thunderstorms predicted all day.
  • Options

what could be our saviour is the weather. thunderstorms predicted all day.

We need two days of rain.
  • Options
    could happen. showers reported for Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/qld/brisbane/brisbane
  • Options

Apart from the creation of non-docile wickets the biggest development in cricket is the use of technology to analyse the strengths and weaknesses of batsmen and bowlers. Even Kent are currently advertising for someone to do the job!

Sure, years ago the opposition would "work" players out. But not to the precise extent they are now bowling and setting their fields accordingly. Some examples from this Test:

Watson - bowl straight, have as many players in the ring as possible and drop mid on and/or mid off deep. Scoring shots are strangled as he doesn't know how to work the ball round and doesn't want to in any case because he knows he then becomes vulnerable to playing across his pads and is a major candidate for LBW. Despite a decent record in the top 3, I'm really not sure that he wouldn't be better in the all rounder role at 6 but then he would probably throw his toys out of the pram if he was told that was his permanent role. Mind you, perhaps he owes the Aussies something as he has caused them issues with the three teams they have always had to pick with him in mind - the one where he is an all rounder, the one where he isn't fit to bowl and the one where he is simply injured and unavailable.

Cook - has three main scoring shots: clip off the legs and if you give him width he will cut and pull you. So, again, bowl wicket to wicket and a full length at that because he doesn't get as far forward in his crease as he should. Consequently he is vulnerable to late swing.

Clarke - he is probably one of the best players of spin in the world. But he simply can't play the well targeted short ball. He neither sways nor pulls and most of the time isn't even looking at the ball. When it happened in the summer he came straight off the pitch and into the Lords indoor school to practice playing them. But he isn't learning because he either can't sway or is so conscious of his back condition that he doesn't want to stress it with any sudden movement.

Trott - he has supreme eye to ball. But he is always on the move be it forward or straight across his stumps so much so now that he becomes vulnerable to the moving ball especially as he ends up playing it at times so far from his body that he is only showing the edge of the bat. So, feed his addiction, have two short mid-wickets, tempt him with the short ball and you simply know that his arrogance won't allow him to duck the issue.

KP - a brilliant batsman with even more confidence in his own ability that Trott. But that strength can be his weakness. Unlike someone like Cook, he has so many shots in his locker that he could probably play half a dozen to any one ball. So, send him down a load of liquorice allsorts and hope he chooses the wrong shot. As he did in this innings.

Prior - has forgotten how to hit the ball as evidenced by his timid effort to a nothing ball from Lyon. He didn't have to play it but, if he was going to, he would have been far better served to try smashing it out of the ground. Short leg wouldn't be there for too long if he did. So, chuck the ball to Lyon and wait for him to get himself out.

Most of the above are the well established batsmen from the two sides. It serves to demonstrate why neither side have been dominating with the bat in the last two series. And let's not forget, if it hadn't been for Bell's contribution in the last series, it might be the Aussies currently defending the Ashes. If his confidence goes and the rest of our line up don't have something in mind to counteract the bowling plans of Harris, Siddle, Johnson et al we could be in trouble.

There again, as I've said before, both line ups are vulnerable. And if it weren't for any possible adverse weather, laying the draw in each and every test would probably prove to be a licence to print money.

Great analysis and lots of truth in there BUT dont forget that batsmen can study bowlers too and work out THEIR weaknesses and so on.

You can see who swings the ball and how plus work out what is the natural length of any bowler and assess how to play him from there.
  • Options
    Is that why Agar did so well? He was decent enough, but had the bowlers not been told what to do and couldn't think for themselves?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    going to give it an hour or two tonight, hope for a miracle.
  • Options

could happen. showers reported for Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/qld/brisbane/brisbane

Sad state to be in when fans are praying for rain.
  • Options
    Forgive the slight digression but, like all lifelong Kent CCC supporters, I have a natural loathing of all things Warwickshire (with the exception of the late RA Woolmer, of course).
    However, for me, that loathing reaches a peak of unprecedented intensity when it comes to that arrogant little squirt Ian Bell...............OK....back to the game.
  • Options

Forgive the slight digression but, like all lifelong Kent CCC supporters, I have a natural loathing of all things Warwickshire (with the exception of the late RA Woolmer, of course).
    However, for me, that loathing reaches a peak of unprecedented intensity when it comes to that arrogant little squirt Ian Bell...............OK....back to the game.

have to agree with not liking the bloke. still on the most part he's been a great cricketer for England, but he's still a little weasel.
  • Options
    GET IN!!!!!!
  • Options
    How's your luck! Short and wide from Broad and Rogers splices straight to Carberry! They all count.
  • Options
    1 down......

Wonder how long the convicts will keep boo-ing (and getting) Broad (fired up) ?
  • Options
    I'm contemplating flicking the kettle on again, but before I do.....
    ...can I still call Leroy a prick ?
  • Options
    Decent start so far, but need a few more quick wickets to really have a chance.